Tools

Remington Core Lokt experience
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remington33:
Well I have no idea who Roy is and don't wanna make this personal but,,, Wasn't it the same guy shooting the same critter? Doncha suppose that perhaps played a bigger role than the bullet used?

He is the outfitter I hunted with 2 months ago in BC. Yes, it was the same hunter, a lady from Germany. She shot the grizzly multiple times one year and they couldn't find it. She came back the next year, shot another grizzly multiple times, same rifle/bullet, and Roy had to go after it. Roy came upon the bear, still very much alive, and it began to maul him.

Turned out to be the same grizz from the year before as it had multiple encapsulated 220 Corelokt bullets in and around the shoulder. None penetrated to the vitals. I cannot comment on exact shot placements but Roy seemed to think most should have killed the bear.

HERE'S THE BEAR WITH ROY ON HIS WEBPAGE.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Before I started reloading I always used Rem Core-lokt and they always performed great. Don't know why I haven't used them for reloading--may have to reevaluate that.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be kinda facetious for a moment, utter stupidity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time.

The 220 CL is a RN bullet. A grizz has a lot of hair and a lot of fat. I can see where the bullet might open up a bit too quickly. Be that as it may, if I shot a bear (I've never shot any bear for that matter) with any bullet and it ran away, not to be found after multiple hits, the next time I went bear hunting, I'd be using something different. You can bet your bottom dollar (or Euro) on that. And if I was Roy (the guides are supposedd to be the smart ones-- just ask them) when I booked another bear hunting party, I'd be sure and tell them, "don't use xxx bullets, they don't seem to work."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG:

What puzzled me about the response you got from the "banking on me" poster was why the poster made such a response. Is he suggesting that there really is such a thing as a "one shot kill" cartridge? If not (and no hunter who has experience in the field would suggest so) -why the insult? Actually, KG, I'm angry on your behalf -even if you are a Bosox fan! Smiler (I don't like the BC Canadians. They are happy to have their government undermine American lumber companies by shipping subsidized lumber into the US and underselling Americans.) (I"m Irish with an Irish temper and always rise to fight - a bad lifelong habit, I admit!) Smiler BTW, a very good Canadian guide, the best woodsman I ever saw, told me that he saw moose drop on the spot from a 30-06 - and on other occasions they ran off -just like the common experience of us all with any cartridge. (Coincidentally, we had been discussing the relative merits of the 303 and the 30-06. I thought the 303 was not enough. He assured me that the 303 dropped moose -and, yes, sometimes they staggered off. The only "one shot killing bullet" is from an RPG. Smiler

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only animal I've seen killed with a core-lok was a cow elk and it looked like a grenade was exploded on the tip of this cows shoulder. No penetration but the cow died. Just a mess. Don't like the soft bullets with the magnum calibers at fairly close range.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What was the cartridge?
What was the bullet?
What was the range?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
They kill deer dead, but generally speaking they are junk.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Mid South Shooters Supply, Clarksville TN has Remington Core Lokt bullets for sale as a reloading component.

No I have nothing to do with them other than like just a few minutes ago, I order from them and smile with the speed and accuracy of their service.
I may have it tomorrow, but for sure Wednesday!!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
What was the cartridge?
What was the bullet?
What was the range?

It was a 7mm Rem Mag, can't remember the bullet weight, maybe 150 gr. and the range was about 60-70 yards in the timber.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fast cartridge, light bullet for that chambering, close shot, heavy bone

i imagine those were factors - you can't make a bullet do something it was not designed to do. it seems that such light CLs were a poor choice for that situation - a ribcage shot would ahve been better.

shooting shoulders in order to anchor elk is fine, but the right bullet to do the job should be used.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fast cartridge, light bullet for that chambering, close shot, heavy bone

i imagine those were factors - you can't make a bullet do something it was not designed to do. it seems that such light CLs were a poor choice for that situation - a ribcage shot would ahve been better.

shooting shoulders in order to anchor elk is fine, but the right bullet to do the job should be used.

True words wisely spoken. (or typed)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 165 gr CoreLokt PPs in .308 Win for deer. They work fine. Make nice holes all the way through good sized deer without ruining a lot of meat. For bigger targets I really prefer Nosler Partitions or Barnes bullets.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This weekend, I did some shooting with the rifle. Just trying to get the thing shooting to a point of aim and usedabout 60 yeards since it is all I had available to me. Backstop was a big berm in a section of a sand pit. The only recovered slugs at that distance (220 grain Core Lokts @ approx 2400 fps) were in horrible condition; peeled right back to the end and total core separation.

I assume this was the wet sand medium they hit after passing through the target.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For many years the Rem Corelokt bullet was my favorite bullet and about the only one that never failed me..Most bullets back then were prone to failure...I always got ample penetration and good kills with them.

The trick is to not drive them too fast, today folks just have to push bullets as fast as they will go and that can be counter productive in certain cases..To do that one must always use the super premiums..

A 180 gr. RN corelokt is still hard to beat at 2600 FPS..I always like the RN better than the Pointed soft point corelokt and I liked the 180 gr. better than the 220 gr...The 220 gr. works better at 2200 FPS than at faster velocity and my guess is that it was designed for the 30/40 Krag, not the 06.......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If I had a choice between a corelokt and a lot of other good bullets I would only use the corelokt if I wanted to kill about 90% of all my hunting dead.

I probably wouldn't use it on something bigger than a moose.

Too bad Remington doesn't make 9.3x62 and 358 Norma ammo!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote