THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Study Shows Lead From Bullet Fragments In Venison Can Be Absorbed Into Bloodstream
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Study Shows Lead From Bullet Fragments In Venison Can Be Absorbed Into Bloodstream
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reality shows it is just the opposite as shown in this bit of info from a CDC Study of folks eating Game Killied with Lead shows they actually have "Lower AVERAGE Lead Levels" than the people who do not eat Game Killed with Lead.

You ignore this in your attempt to spin,

quote:
Researchers measured blood lead levels in micrograms per deciliter (dl). Average lead levels of those in the study were 1.17 micrograms/dl. Participants who consumed wild game averaged .30 micrograms/dl more lead in their blood than those who did not. The study also showed those who ate game within a month of the study had significantly higher lead blood levels than those who had not consumed it within a month.

Which supports my statement.

Your attempting to dismiss those findings based on the rural control group having an lower blood lead level than the average American,

quote:
In fact, average participant lead levels of 1.17 micrograms/ dl were below the average American’s lead level, which is 1.60.

It doesn't work and your attempt is dishonest.

You've not provided anything that would disprove the contention that consuming venison containing lead fragments results in an elevated blood lead level after that lead is absorbed.

Which is the subject of this thread and is something you've attempted to deny.

So I'd ask you the question again. Why would consuming game meat with lead bullet fragments not result in a detectable higher blood lead level ?

And why would lead fragments not be present in some game meat, such as venison, when we know that copper jacketed lead cored bullets do tend to fragment when impacting hide, flesh and bone at high velocity ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am still alive, and have eaten all manner of wild game as soon as I was off the tit. I've bit down on enough shot in game birds to load a case of shotgun shells. My parents are both stil here (I am 52), my grandparents were 103, 85, 90, and 96 and raised or killed all their own food, milk and eggs. I don't think I wil worry about this much.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If a 180 gr bullet is recovered under the off-side skin and weighs 120 grains, it's obvious that 50 grains of metalic lead remain in the animal. Specifically, in the tissue around the permanent wound channel .

In my mind this means we have a duty to properly process the animal after shooting, not worry about what bullet was used. That is the core of the matter.

If ground venison comes back with sufficient lead to show in an x-ray, then some asshole threw sh*t in the grinder that should have been trimmed and discarded, or the package was "created" to support a cause. Likewise, if lead fragments migrate far from the wound channel, whole-animal x-rays would have established the threat from that decades ago by those wanting to ban lead for whatever cause.

Fact is, commercial game processing is exempt from virtually all food handling regulations in most states and damn few are trained or certified in anything remotely related to lead contamination. Find a good one that processes one animal at a time, not batch processing and trim your own meat before you take it in.

As for lead in gut piles, the coyotes can have all they want. The buzzards are so stupid already, I don't think it will effect them.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The substitute is copper which is also toxic ,I worked in petroleum supply in the usaf for 4 years constantly exposed to high octane avgas with 15 grams of tetra ethyl lead per gallon our blood tests showed zero lead in our systems.I've been eating game killed with lead ammo for over 70 years with no side effects, what isn't published is the rate at which the human body gets rid of foreign substances.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Metalic copper isn't harmful; but some of the copper compunds used in agriculture are toxic in large quantites, like copper sulphate. Some cookery is still solid copper (although diminishing in use) and just needs to be kept shiney-clean.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote