New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rec for Long Range Shooting School
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there have first hand experience at FTW Ranch or Gunsite long range shooting schools?

What would you recommend?

Looking to get training out to 600 yards.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the TX Rifle and Pistol Academy. I would recommend it.

I booked Gunsite. Had flights booked and everything. They needed to reschedule due to some conflict. Never heard from them again. They are not high on my list.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ME

I have a private 600 yard range a available and enough instructor certifications to satisfy most any one. Can do 700 if you want to go that far.

I offer one on one very personalized instruction.

You will find my rates most reasonable.

I am located in NW Wisconsin.

PM me if interested

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
There is an instructor in Dallas that builds and sells long range hunting rifles and teaches long range hunting classes. Nice guy too.https://maxaccuracy.com/
There may be many other folks that help you out, but if you want to come to Dallas, you can check with LLoyd Hill.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or contact Whittington staff and see when they might
have such going on.

Out here, we just go out on the prairies and start shooting p/dogs with whatever rifles we desire to shoot. Best practice there is anywhere.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Try to contact Frank Galli (formes USMC scout/sniper) atop notch LR instructor.

Reach him at Sniper's Hide.

I cannot say enough good things about Frank.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THanks.. Keep the suggestions/recs coming.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to Tim Fallon's FTW in February of 2015 for his combination shooting school and safari courses before my bull elephant hunt in Zim in April of 2015. Next to my custom rifles built by Lex Webernick of Rifles, Inc. that was the best money I have ever spent in all of my North American trips and three safaris. It's not cheap but worth every penny IMHO. If you want more specific information or want to visit on the phone PM me.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention-you will get training out to a minimum of 1000 yards.

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, what real good does that do a person hunting a 800 acre lease with 3 other hunters?????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

So, what real good does that do a person hunting a 800 acre lease with 3 other hunters?????

I posted this on the long range thread... I will say they find your comfortable maximum range...if all you hunt is a 800 ac lease with 3 guys then well you might not need a 600 yard comfortable maximum distance... But I did shoot a desert sheep this year at almost 400 yards. I had done the FTW course in December, I will not say it was easy--but felt a lot more comfortable with the shot. It helped me. I learned my equipment, and found their limitations, before I got into a situation where I needed them to perform at their limit.

Done FTW and badlands...both good but different. FTW was way more expensive, it had more of a country club feel...nice bar, good meals, highly qualified staff--neat ranges to shoot at. The whole goal was to get you proficient to shoot animals at range. The last day you get to hunt animals at different areas. They are cutouts with steel gongs...lots of fun

Badlands had more of a tactical feel--good instructors--and will get you proficient too. Not all the "extras" that were at FTW.

Id do the both again...Badlands was $700...FTW was like $3,000...

http://badlandstactical.org/wp.../2017-Enrollment.pdf

http://ftwsaam.com

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not everyone has the same hunting situation, skills, want to improve their skills or the right attitude. Clearly you have no use, need or want of bettering your skills so butt out and let other people interested in bettering their shooting discuss shooting school options.
Why the hell would you even post that comment when someone was asking a question about shooting schools? Who gives a flip about your lease size?
Frankly I think more hunters and shooters could benefit from some real training no matter how much of an expert you think you may be.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 800-1000 yard targets are good practice. They will make the usual 2-400 yard shots a lot easier. When you can consitently hit those it will improve you're confidence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Forgot to mention-you will get training out to a minimum of 1000 yards.

So, what real good does that do a person hunting a 800 acre lease with 3 other hunters?????[/QUOTE

Makes shorter shots seems a lot easier and I stills confidence.

When I go to Vegas I often go to a place where I can shoot at 1,000 yards. It does wonders for me.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes shorter shots seems a lot easier and I stills confidence

For sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Obviously this isn't the prototypical hunter/target market for this type of training, wouldn't you agree? Common sense would tell you that.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf precesion. Johnstown Pa. jamie dodson builds weapoms and offers a great 3 day class on shooting. Your weapon, or rent one of his. Usually 10 folks per class. You will lewrn to range with your scope, how to dial in yardage and wind. Last time i was there we were out to 1300 yards ringing steel. Very laod back non military/police environment. Most guys there are hunters

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Anyone out there have first hand experience at FTW Ranch or Gunsite long range shooting schools?

Dogcat, this guy is the premier military sniper trainer in the world, and he has civilian classes in the TX panhandle. I would check this one out if it were me. Good luck.

https://www.accuracy1st.com/training/

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously this isn't the prototypical hunter/target market for this type of training, wouldn't you agree? Common sense would tell you that.

Just a question, that was all.

Different strokes for different folks, I just happen to still be of the school of a 200 yard shot is good, a 150 yard shot is better and anything from 100 yards or less is GRAVY.

The man I work for and his son are both interested in Long Range shooting and in fact for the past three years, the son has had a group of about 20 that come out and in the pasture where the buffalo herd is, set up gong targets out to 1800 yards and spend 3 days slinging bullets.

Over much of Texas and with the lease system, there are a good many folks around the state setting up stands and feeders where 500 yard plus shots are doable.

It is just a concept that I feel degrades the original concept of what hunting was about, getting close and making quick humane kills.

If it is something that a person wants to do or enjoys doing, that is great for them, but just like anything else in life that any of us like/enjoy or are interested in there will be others that simply don't agree with it.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Different strokes for different folks, I just happen to still be of the school of a 200 yard shot is good, a 150 yard shot is better and anything from 100 yards or less is GRAVY.

The man I work for and his son are both interested in Long Range shooting and in fact for the past three years, the son has had a group of about 20 that come out and in the pasture where the buffalo herd is, set up gong targets out to 1800 yards and spend 3 days slinging bullets.

Over much of Texas and with the lease system, there are a good many folks around the state setting up stands and feeders where 500 yard plus shots are doable.

It is just a concept that I feel degrades the original concept of what hunting was about, getting close and making quick humane kills.

If it is something that a person wants to do or enjoys doing, that is great for them, but just like anything else in life that any of us like/enjoy or are interested in there will be others that simply don't agree with it.

I agree with all of this, but it has zero to do with the OP.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

Dogcat, this guy is the premier military sniper trainer in the world, and he has civilian classes in the TX panhandle. I would check this one out if it were me. Good luck.

https://www.accuracy1st.com/training/

Now that Caylen Wojik is an instructor for Gunwerks I don't know if I would pick Gunwerks or Accuracy First.

Either way you will get the best training in the country.

Wojik is a retired Marine Sniper, who used to teach Marine Snipers. He has a silver star from Falujah.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with all of this, but it has zero to do with the OP.

That is your prerogative, just like it is mine to make the comment I made!

If long range shooting is something that interests a person, GREAT!

But that does not mean that a person with a differing point of view CAN NOT express their opinion does it???

It is merely a difference in Points Of View, and isn't that one of the concepts of this site, people expressing their opinions, Pro or Con on a subject?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The guy was asking about recommendations on long range shooting schools.
He did not ask if you thought you wanted to attend one, thought they were necessary or had an opinion on the matter.
Why can't you butt out if you have NOTHING to contribute?
You are attempting once again to gain control of a thread that you have a negative slant on and try to pummel it into the ground, try this: shut the hell up if you are not contributing....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When, and ONLY WHEN I see the word Moderator by your name, will I give a SHIT what you say.

I had made my final comment on the subject, and all you had to do was let it DROP!!!!!

When Saeed or Don put you in charge of the site, then and ONLY then will I give a shit about ANYTHING you say!!!!!

I simply don't see the importance of Long Range Shooting, but that is just ONE PERSON'S opinion, and PERSONAL OPINIONS, ONLY matter to the person making them!

How about you get Saeed and Don to make a rule that NO ONE with a differing opinion can comment on ANY discussion!

Be sure and let us know how that works out for you.

The discussion was about Long Range Shooting Schools, one person expressing a PERSONAL OPINION on the subject, should not or Would Not make that big a problem for ADULTS!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had made my final comment on the subject, and all you had to do was let it DROP!!!!!

Exactly my point you are never satisfied until you've ran someone's post down to the ground with your negative uninformed bullshit AND get the final word.
Try your own medicine fool:
"If your so irritated have you tried leaving?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat you will really enjoy FTW and will learn a lot!!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I hope this is along the lines of the OP's post, but don't you need "sniper" type rifles with mil-dot scopes?

From what others have said, the schools/academies listed above all seem great from reviews. If that equipment is required for the course, you should also factor that into the cost.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope this is along the lines of the OP's post, but don't you need "sniper" type rifles with mil-dot scopes?

That is the nice thing about the training I could and would offer and design for the individual that would come and train with me.

I would work with that person to use the equipment that they would normally use in the field.

Part of the learning curve is finding out what your equipment is capable of. Having a highly accurate rifle to take the course with is good but if you are not planning to use that rifle in the field you are missing a lot.

I have a 14 pound 06 and with the ammo it is sighted in with I can put the student behind it and coach them into shooting sub minute groups at 600 yards off the bat.

Done it many times and it is a great confidence booster.

But it is a rifle one does not normally carries in the field.

If any of these schools isn't letting you wring out your rifle and ammo you well be using in the field.

You well not be finding out what you and your equipment are capable of.

You might find out your rifle/ammo is a 400 yard max rifle. Or even a 100 yard max rifle.

One might have learn to work with in those limitations kind of like hunting with a bow, handgun ect.

Or up grade to something capable of doing what you want.

The mechanics of hitting at long range are well know.

Appling them to you and your hunting situations is what one needs to learn.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Thanks for the clarification. I've got my "go to" rifle and it might reach out there, but I don't have turrets, plastic stock, nor do I shoot prone.

Don't get me wrong, I think these courses are great and I'd love to try one, but it seems you must have the "standard" equipment to get any benefit.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did it with a straight out the box Browning X Bolt topped with a Swarovski with a standard reticle. We shot out to 600 yards.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I did it with a straight out the box Browning X Bolt topped with a Swarovski with a standard reticle. We shot out to 600 yards.

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't need special equipment to go to FTW. They want you to bring the equipment you will use to hunt. That said, I think you will get more out of the school if you at least have a scope with some type of graduated reticle (I like Swaro's and Leupolds)-Tim Fallon has a computer program that plugs in your rifle, load, and scope and makes you a "cheat sheet" (I believe the Navy Seals trainers he has calls it your "dope") that tells you where to hold to shoot various distances. 99.9% of my game shooting is less than 100 yds. That said, as other posters have said, there is no substitution for "trigger time" and I subscribe to the opinions of many well known shots that a large portion of shooting is "mental", so there is no substitution for having confidence in yourself and your equipment. FTW never, ever encouraged me to take a shot that might be inhumane. Initially I questioned in my mind their method of having me shoot A LOT at long range before subjecting me to the Safari School. Looking back on it, it increased my confidence level without making me cocky. Definitely some of the best money I have ever spent in my hunting/shooting career.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many decades ago when I was just a lad.

Each fall we would take the deer rifles out and sight them in. Normally it was one or two shots to confirm that their zero had not changed from the year before. Ammo was expensive for a northern Wis. farm family.

That zero was dead on at 50 yards never shot for zero further. In the woods of northern Wisconsin it worked well. A long shot was a 100 yards.

When I was about 15 I was loading some 125gr Speers into my 06 with a max load of 4064. The book said 3200 or so. At the time we had a hay field with a nice hill behind it that one could get 300 yards out of.

I took my 06 out there and fired my first LONG range shots at that unbelievable long range.

My dad said why you well never shoot a deer that far away.

Fast forward a friend brought a 80 and at the right direction we put in a 700 yard range.

I remember my first group at 700 yards I was shooting my 14lb 06 mentioned in post above I did the math calculated the drop and decided that the 4th mil dot should be right.

I put my son in the pit set up a 4x4 foot card board with a 3 inch orange target dot in the middle.

I fired the first shot and my son said I was bit low I changed to the bottom of the mil dot and fired a 5 shot group.

My son radio me with the results and said the group is ok but you have not hit the dot yet. After I drove to the target.

There around the 3 in dot was a very nice 6.5 inch group centered around the 3 inch dot but not a hole in the dot.

I was impressed my son thought I should have hit the dot.

I told my son that's a nice group he said but you didn't hit the dot. Close but no banana.

Now many years later and 10's of thousands of rounds shot down range at targets and P dogs.

Many instructor certifications from 3 national recognize organizations decades of instructing hundreds of students. One of my Students shot on the Hornday team for several years.

The unbelievable long range of 300 yards isn't really that long.

My Dad when he was still alive would shake his head at my shooting reports and say you well never shoot a deer that far. With a smile on his face.

We figured out one time how many deer he had shot and it was pushing 300. But they were all in northern Wisconsin. Many of them in the depression head shot with a 22lf to feed the family.

I have now hunted deer in several areas besides NW Wis. and have shot them past 300 yards. I like them closer but when there is wide open ground in-between you and them one does what one needs to do.

So long range is based on a lot of personnel experience and local hunting conditions.

So what is the point of this if you want to shoot at LONG RANGE what ever that is find a place where you can do it and shoot.

If you need a place and some instruction I can provide that also.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, Larry. I was under the wrong impression from the videos. The DG course is obviously different, I will check it out further once the weather cools.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bro, go to FTW - you won't regret it at all!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Many decades ago when I was just a lad.

Each fall we would take the deer rifles out and sight them in. Normally it was one or two shots to confirm that their zero had not changed from the year before. Ammo was expensive for a northern Wis. farm family.

That zero was dead on at 50 yards never shot for zero further. In the woods of northern Wisconsin it worked well. A long shot was a 100 yards.

When I was about 15 I was loading some 125gr Speers into my 06 with a max load of 4064. The book said 3200 or so. At the time we had a hay field with a nice hill behind it that one could get 300 yards out of.

I took my 06 out there and fired my first LONG range shots at that unbelievable long range.

My dad said why you well never shoot a deer that far away.

Fast forward a friend brought a 80 and at the right direction we put in a 700 yard range.

I remember my first group at 700 yards I was shooting my 14lb 06 mentioned in post above I did the math calculated the drop and decided that the 4th mil dot should be right.

I put my son in the pit set up a 4x4 foot card board with a 3 inch orange target dot in the middle.

I fired the first shot and my son said I was bit low I changed to the bottom of the mil dot and fired a 5 shot group.

My son radio me with the results and said the group is ok but you have not hit the dot yet. After I drove to the target.

There around the 3 in dot was a very nice 6.5 inch group centered around the 3 inch dot but not a hole in the dot.

I was impressed my son thought I should have hit the dot.

I told my son that's a nice group he said but you didn't hit the dot. Close but no banana.

Now many years later and 10's of thousands of rounds shot down range at targets and P dogs.

Many instructor certifications from 3 national recognize organizations decades of instructing hundreds of students. One of my Students shot on the Hornday team for several years.

The unbelievable long range of 300 yards isn't really that long.

My Dad when he was still alive would shake his head at my shooting reports and say you well never shoot a deer that far. With a smile on his face.

We figured out one time how many deer he had shot and it was pushing 300. But they were all in northern Wisconsin. Many of them in the depression head shot with a 22lf to feed the family.

I have now hunted deer in several areas besides NW Wis. and have shot them past 300 yards. I like them closer but when there is wide open ground in-between you and them one does what one needs to do.

So long range is based on a lot of personnel experience and local hunting conditions.

So what is the point of this if you want to shoot at LONG RANGE what ever that is find a place where you can do it and shoot.

If you need a place and some instruction I can provide that also.

I hit a 3 inch "dot" at 1190 yards yesterday morning on my first shot with a 3 MOA wind call. Can't say when that will happen but it was a rush to see that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hit a 3 inch "dot" at 1190 yards yesterday morning on my first shot with a 3 MOA wind call. Can't say when that will happen but it was a rush to see that.

A rush it would be for sure.

When you can call it you well be real good

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

Thanks, Larry. I was under the wrong impression from the videos. The DG course is obviously different, I will check it out further once the weather cools.

Marcus, I did a report about it in the long range shooting section . It contains a lot of details. The course did wonders for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

A rush it would be for sure.

When you can call it you well be real good

I meant to say "Can't say I can make that happen every time..." but I think you got the point. I was 2 inches low and 5 inches right at 800 that day but the wind angle to my 1190 yard rock is a bit different. At 800 I held about 1/2 MOA - 1 would have been better.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't you butt out if you have NOTHING to contribute?

Because he would then have NOTHING to say.
Of course, that has never stopped him up until now.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote