THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Outfitters squeezing out the average man!!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitters squeezing out the average man!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Maybe a dumb post, just looking for anyone else that feels the same way. I can't find a New Mexico (SW) antelope tag because outfitters have sucked them all up already. They are paying $1000 and turning over a two day hunt for $2500-3000.

I was willing to pay the $1000, but can't even find a tag available.

Are the days of trespass fees over?? Only one area here has a decent population of mulies. Again, I'm willing to shell out a trespass fee of a few hundred bucks, just to gain access to a decent area. But all the land hunting rights are bought up. Does this piss anyone else off??

It's hard for me to stomach why I have to suck hind tit, while some "people" from who knows where comes to my state as a non-resident and shoots game I can't get a crack at.

[This message has been edited by Jesse Jaymes (edited 05-01-2002).]

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Jaymes:
It's hard for me to stomach why I have to suck hind tit, while some douche bag from who knows where comes to my state as a non-resident and shoots game I can't get a crack at.

That "douche bag" is willing and able to pay more than you to hunt the same game. He/she pays MUCH higher license fees than a resident, has to pay air fare to get to the game, car rental, guide fees, etc., and he/she gets 2-3 days to fill their tag.

Face it, wildlife is a limited resource. While you've been sitting around, the landowners in your state have decided to maximize their income potential, and outfitters have invested real money to acquire hunting rights.

Invest in a lease of your own, so you'll have a place to hunt, or hunt public land.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one because I see both sides of this. On one side I agree the resource is limited and driven by the market. The landowners can and do have the right to say who goes on their land and how much they can charge. If a landowner can charge $2500 for a tag then that is great.

On the other hand a local sportsman should have equal access to the tags. Most places that have good hunting also have lower wages for the local people and they can not or should not have to pay the same as an out of state hunter. Yes out of state hunters bring in allot of money but it is the local people that keep all the other things (gas stations,food stores,car rentals etc) that support a landowner in selling that tag in business. It would be a wise landowner who realized this and dedicated some of their tags to locals.

Russ

[This message has been edited by mtelkhunter (edited 04-29-2002).]

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats just great George, it's all about damn money is it. I have access to some really great bucks (whitetale). I'll be damned if I'll let anyone with your mentality near them. Ever! In the circle's of people that I associate with there is another code. One of relationships and loyaltys. Fact is some folks money just ain't no good in these parts.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Frankly Mark, yes it is. Put yourself in a farmer's or rancher's shoes for a bit. We pay a ton of money for property taxes and operating expenses in general, and every year they are going higher and higher. Our crops or livestock aren't worth a fraction of what they were 15 years ago. We need some extra income to keep the family farm/ranch in the family.
What's more, our old friends and neighbors are wearing our ears out about some SLOB getting over the fence and shooting "their deer" every time we let people hunt. They're leasing their property to so&so and he's paying them big bucks so keep our "guests" off their property! We have to live as neighbors, and feuding over a hunter or two isn't the best way to maintain friendships.
I don't have time for all that BS. Like most folks, the extra cash is more than appreciated. Sure, I allow a close friend or two to hunt, have it written into the lease. BUT, I ain't turning down the kind of money these guys are putting up. Not unless I get lucky and win the lottery!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What about BLM land?

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<jeremy w>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Jaymes:
Maybe a dumb post, just looking for anyone else that feels the same way. I can't find a New Mexico (SW) antelope tag because outfitters have sucked them all up already. They are paying $1000 and turning over a two day hunt for $2500-3000.

I was willing to pay the $1000, but can't even find a tag available.

Are the days of trespass fees over?? Only one area here has a decent population of mulies. Again, I'm willing to shell out a trespass fee of a few hundred bucks, just to gain access to a decent area. But all the land hunting rights are bought up. Does this piss anyone else off??

It's hard for me to stomach why I have to suck hind tit, while some douche bag from who knows where comes to my state as a non-resident and shoots game I can't get a crack at.

The douche bags are increasing in numbers in WY as well. Perhaps season on them?

<jeremy w>
posted
Also, if someone wants to give me a ranch I would be happy to take it. With low crop/livestock prices, high taxes, and all the headache hunters cause I should be able to get a ranch of my own real cheap.

Why don't these disgruntled rachers sell their ranches for multi mullions of dollars instead of throwing morals out the window?

posted Hide Post
I don't see how a farmer/rancher is immoral if he decides to lease his property to an outfitter. Is making an extra bit of income immoral? Is trying to hold onto something that's been in one's family for generations immoral? I'm sorry, I just can't agree with that line of reasoning.
As was already stated, there are alternatives such as state and/or BLM lands that are open to everyone.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not having a problem with the landowners getting paid money. I realize it is their land. I am having a problem with the fact that the market is totally cornered. I am having a problem with the fact that I am willing to pay what the outfitters are paying and do things myself, but these options are not available.

Sure, New Mexico has tons of BLM land. I shoot my share of coyotes and jackrabbits, BUT, any area with any water, i.e. a stream that runs the majority of the year, is all private. If I could find a lease, I'd quit bitching and spend my money.

Landowners probably get 4-1 ratio of state tags to landowners for antelope. I have a 1 in 13 chance to draw while the rest go to someone with cash. Doesn't seem like a rewarding resident incentive to me.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I have stated before I don't have a problem with a landowner trying to make a little extra money by leasing the hunting rights out. They own the ground and that is their right, however one of the things that I do have a problem with is where a landowner stops people from crossing their land to get to public land on the other side. Here in Montana this is happening alot. Somebody will buy a few hundered acres of land that controls the only access to several thousand acres of public land behind it and then shut off the road and thus the access to the public ground behind it. This is just wrong. I believe resonable access to public ground must exist.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not the ranchers fault that this is going on. It's the Game and Fish commissioners fault. They are in place to over see management of wildlife and make sure that it is managed for the benefit of the majority, not the minority which is what goes on. The current administration,is a prime example of what happens when you fill the board with a bunch of good old boy ranchers and a few legal prostitutes(also known as lawyers)who are also members of the good old boy club. Considering that the majority of your outfitters are nothing but ranchers that outfit part time to subsidize their income,and the ones who don't outfit themselves lease to an outfitter, it's no wonder the commission rules in their favor. I can't blame a rancher for trying to make a dollar,its the commissioners that are in charge of oversight in this that are to blame, for letting this shit happen and in most cases voting in favor of it.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well you're not likely to change anything by complaining about it.

When I was a boy starting to hunt back in the sixties, the old hands were telling me that hunting would become a rich man's sport in my lifetime and I see it snowballing to that rapidly.

Most avg guys down south belong to some kind of hunt club, maybe several. This opens up a can of worms in it's own right many times.

Looking at the situation realisticly leaves few options other than buying land.

That is the route I am taking. Locally I own my hunting land and like it that way. I took the money I was paying in dues and made land payments on a small property in a good place. It's the way to go for me and I am considering more to spread my boys out some.

I travel trophy hunting for whitetails and have paid small amounts to hunt on prime property ($100 a day is about tops for me). My preferred hunting is on land anyone that wants to hunt can hunt, parks, public land, or private land where permission is free for the asking. Of course I keep an open eye for small properties in these areas but haven't connected yet.

I know for hunters out west my way may not be a solution to the tag problem but if you own good land, I bet an outfitter would hook up something for limited use of the property.

Not many things compare to land ownership.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jeremy w>
posted
A popular practice here is when a rancher purposely buys all the access routes to huge sections of blm/state lands. Said rancher now has way more acreage to "sell" to outfitters yet pays no taxes on it. Such land is always open to hunting for hunters that have regular use of a helipcopter.

Ranching has always been hard. What's up with the trend to shut everyone out? Maybe if Pops gave me a ranch then I would understand the mentality of little Joe the new rancher.

Also, if WY had tons of high paying- low working jobs like NYC has then perhaps I would agree with the idea that I should have to pay out the ass just like the average big city guy does. Lately I spend much much more time hunting for area than hunting for game.

Also, as stated above, game and fish employees have become virtually all ranchers. I was going to school to become a G&F employee until I realized that I would likely not get hired, and if I did get hired I would not fit into the system. The G&F, outfitters, and ranchers are all shooting theirselves in the foot. With their non-support of hunters who is left to defend ranchers from the "tree hugger" movement?

Any of you WY guys heard anything about a land access (via Jolley) forum this year?

[This message has been edited by jeremy w (edited 04-30-2002).]

<waldog>
posted
As a kid I learned an important addage: Time is Money. Now, years later, I can look at a bank statement and know without a doubt that I don't have all that much money. BUT what I do have is time. And I've found ways to leverage that time into something that is now more valuable than money... relationships. Specifically, relationships with landowners with very excellent hunting prospects. Deer, elk, antelope, waterfowl, phesant, you name it and I've found a way to hunt it in an area where guys are paying many thousands for leases. And often, I have the better spot! BTW, all my resident and non-resident hunting gets done this way too.

IMHO, yea, it probably would be a lot easier to save and shell out the dollars to hunt. But, I guess I just grew up having to hunt for places to hunt. That's always been part of it for me.

However you go about it, best of luck to you!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Its a sad thing when the wallet is the all time determiner of who gets the hunting.

Happens internationally as well.

US hunters with too many dollars in their pockets come into a country and drive the prices up as much as 3 fold. Happening everywhere or has happened.

And in this case as mentioned here - what is the result? Locals find it difficult to hunt legally, so they hunt illegally instead.

As I sad its sad when the dollars buy the "hunt" or the "trophy". Perhaps a new scoring system should be introduced. Not how points did that rack go, but instead a certified statement how much it costed the "hunter".

------------------
John
alias Nitro

NitroExpress.com
communities.msn.com/NitroExpressCom

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Alberta John>
posted
here in alberta it is illegal to charge for access..or to hunt..thank god..although some do in the south for sure..the wildlife belongs to all albertans..not the landowner..he can post it..but not sell it..

one of us
posted Hide Post
This type of activity is one of the reasons hunting in Africa has become more popular. I used to hunt in Montana until they went crazy with the price of out-of-state tags,etc but who wants to spend over $3000 (and up) for a 5-day deer and antelope hunt.

Bird hunting (pheasant) is even worse. Just look at some of the package rates out there....$500 a day and up! I must have received a dozen flyers for 3-day hunts between $1500 and $2200...unbelievable.

I do have a small amount of understanding for resident hunters who get priced out of the market but you might also take a look at the differential between what you pay for a license and what out-of-state hunters pay.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
This type of activity is one of the reasons hunting in Africa has become more popular. I used to hunt in Montana until they went crazy with the price of out-of-state tags,etc but who wants to spend over $3000 (and up) for a 5-day deer and antelope hunt.

Bird hunting (pheasant) is even worse. Just look at some of the package rates out there....$500 a day and up! I must have received a dozen flyers for 3-day hunts between $1500 and $2200...unbelievable.

Amen.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
While this is not an issue where I live, Many have complained about the "invasion" of our area(s) by the city folks opening day. Most of us who live in rural areas do so in order to live in an area where we can fish, hunt, and lead a quiet outoor lifestyle without the BS of competing with the hordes who want something else. We do not accept lower wages and fewer of the trappings of "the good life" because a lower income makes us happier! We do it for the ability to do as we've always done--to live where we hunt etc. The thing is George, we accept less $ for more of the stuff abovementioned. And now we are having it taken away. YOU would not like having your right to hunt taken away. Many of us secretly (or not so secretly) wish nonresident tags did not exist. Hunt where you live----I'll hunt where I live. Of course life is not so simple, but you can see where we come from. On the East side of the Cascades, still in Oregon, I have a Friend who has not been able to draw a tag even close to where he lives--He grew up there but---As an old man he is really being burned, and threatens to hunt there anyway. At this point he is not exactly hospitable with anyone from anywhere else hunting there--and I know you can understand why. What I'm trying to do is convey the feelings we have and why we have them. As one guy, George, You are not really a problem. And this is not an attack on you. But your attitude seems a bit cavalier ( I have The money--why don't you buy---). Thing is , we live in the country, so as a rule, we don't have the money. Were we sitting on our collective butts? Hell no, We were working overtime so that we could earn enough to buy the acreage up the road for 1000/acre,when some SOB from NYC drove up and bought it for $5000/acre, and then closed it off---. This is how it is for us. And this is how it is in a lot of rural areas. And now some guy from LA recently moved near here, bought a lot of property all in one piece, with the plans to develop it as exclusive properties for the well-heeled. No problem, till he decided that our 50 year old gun range would detract from his property values. So we have spent, as a club, all we have squirelled away, fighting one lawsuit after another---The latest is that our conditional use permit does not specify "archery range", only gun ranges. He says his intent is to sue us until we are broke. But the sick B*****d has never offered to buy our extremely choice acreage, although he has likely spent a good portion of its value in court---why would we harbor any ill will toward anyone from the city with a few bucks in his hand---Lots of stuff here, but it needed to be said. Regards, Chuck

posted Hide Post
Well, it seems that some of you want to wage "class warfare" instead of addressing your "problem".

I was born and raised in NYC; no one in my family hunted. I wanted to hunt, so I went to college, got a well-paying job, and enjoy the fruits of my labor (mainly, nice guns and hunting trips).

I have paid for out-of-state hunts in the past (Montana, Texas, Missouri, Maine, South Carolina, Georgia, Wyoming, etc.), and I hunt Africa as often as possible (four safaris and counting).

Somehow, this makes me a "douche bag" in some people's eyes. If you look at the amount of revenue the F&G departments receive from "douche bags", you'll find that it is disproportionately higher compared to resident hunters, and this is just for the hunting licenses (and conservation stamps).

Believe me, we get very little value for our increased expenditure. We usually are entitled to fewer tags, fewer seasons and fewer areas to hunt in.

If some enterprising outfitter leases the hunting rights to a large block of private property, he somehow has "cheated" you out of some birthright to hunt where you please for free (or cheap).

Said outfitter then charges "douche bags" a huge premium to hunt there. If someone is willing to pay, where's the problem? IF you can't afford a nice car, do you feel that someone else should give you one?

I wouldn't pay the exorbitant sums people pay for pickup trucks and boats, but I don't mind if others do.

Now if I buy my own ranch, and close it to outside hunters, chances are goo that I'll be viewed as a "carpetbagging Easterner" who "locked up" a fine piece of hunting grounds (which the locals couldn't, or wouldn't buy).

Face it, folks, the time is coming where if you don't have your own place to hunt, you're going to have to forego hunting private land.
At least you have BLM and National Forest land out there.

We have problems here in the East, too: farmers are closing their lands to hunters due to liability concerns; trespassing (by people who feel they have the right to hunt wherever they please) is rampant; developers are subdividing the old properties; encroachment has resulted in no hunting zones.

The solution here is the same as the solution in the West: buy your own spread, and keep everyone except for invited guests off.

George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw makes a good point. BLM land. Even as we speak, war is being waged in several of the western states about access to land that is in fact owned by the citizens of the USA. Land that is being blocked and controlled by some two by twice squatter. And the game on that public land is managed with US tax dollars.
I don't have a problem with a rancher having the game herds ON HIS LAND surveyed by the dnr and being issued x number of elk tags and x deer tags that he can sell.
My prob is that the outfitters want to control ALL the tags. Public land and private. You have to go thru them regardless of where you hunt. That is not right.
Also, while folks are trying to picture the game tag rip off as a means for poor struggling ranchers to stay afloat, let hear about the outfitters that don't own one inch of land that operate entirely on public land. Land that is owned by you and I.

[This message has been edited by beemanbeme (edited 04-30-2002).]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Well, it seems that some of you want to wage "class warfare" instead of addressing your "problem".

I was born and raised in NYC; no one in my family hunted. I wanted to hunt, so I went to college, got a well-paying job, and enjoy the fruits of my labor (mainly, nice guns and hunting trips).

I have paid for out-of-state hunts in the past (Montana, Texas, Missouri, Maine, South Carolina, Georgia, Wyoming, etc.), and I hunt Africa as often as possible (four safaris and counting).

Somehow, this makes me a "douche bag" in some people's eyes. If you look at the amount of revenue the F&G departments receive from "douche bags", you'll find that it is disproportionately higher compared to resident hunters, and this is just for the hunting licenses (and conservation stamps).

Believe me, we get very little value for our increased expenditure. We usually are entitled to fewer tags, fewer seasons and fewer areas to hunt in.

If some enterprising outfitter leases the hunting rights to a large block of private property, he somehow has "cheated" you out of some birthright to hunt where you please for free (or cheap).

Said outfitter then charges "douche bags" a huge premium to hunt there. If someone is willing to pay, where's the problem? IF you can't afford a nice car, do you feel that someone else should give you one?

I wouldn't pay the exorbitant sums people pay for pickup trucks and boats, but I don't mind if others do.

Now if I buy my own ranch, and close it to outside hunters, chances are goo that I'll be viewed as a "carpetbagging Easterner" who "locked up" a fine piece of hunting grounds (which the locals couldn't, or wouldn't buy).

Face it, folks, the time is coming where if you don't have your own place to hunt, you're going to have to forego hunting private land.
At least you have BLM and National Forest land out there.

We have problems here in the East, too: farmers are closing their lands to hunters due to liability concerns; trespassing (by people who feel they have the right to hunt wherever they please) is rampant; developers are subdividing the old properties; encroachment has resulted in no hunting zones.

The solution here is the same as the solution in the West: buy your own spread, and keep everyone except for invited guests off.
George

You've taken things personally and failed to consider a few things:

1. The issue of exorbitant taxation. Most of us pay taxes, not just landowners and douche-bags.

2. one of the underlying and founding principles of this country: that the rights of one should not impose upon or limit the rights of another; inalienable rights; and natural rights.

3. Government's willingness to sell special privilege or license exclusive rights to individuals on government land at the expense of the general public. Hunting is not always allowed on BLM, state, and national forest land - depending on the state, though these same states often lease to or license "outfitters" to operate on these same lands while the general public is denied access. In some instances, companies that lease federal land, sub-lease back out to hunting groups - a practice that should cease immediately.

4. F&G departments' infiltration by environmentalists and politicos, and increasingly, an interest in hunters, insofar as their ability to fatten the departmental wallet.

5. Your solution is, essentially, the problem - and more indicative of "class warfare" than anything presented in the opposing view.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Aquavit,
When someone uses inflammatory language to describe non-resident hunters who have not broken the law (I hunt out of state more than I hunt around here), I am going to take it personally.

Your reply describes conflicts with governmental agencies and their policies, not the leasing of hunting rights on private lands by private parties.
If you have a beef with your government, seek redress (if you don't fight for it, you're going to lose it). There must be some sympathetic ears at your state and local levels. Enlist them in your fight.
Most land-use policies in the West have developed over the years due to intense lobbying (and campaign contributions) by "greens", agribusiness, mining, logging, oil, gas, and livestock interests, NOT non-resident hunters.

I do not support locking up access to public lands by closing roads on private land. Some compromise must be found whereby the public's access to its own land be assured while protecting the private property through which they must pass.

I honestly don't see how a state like New Mexico could run out of huntable public land when the population is so low. While it may not be ideal (no permanent water), there must be some game there.

As for rights, there are very few states that declare a right to hunt, and no state allows people to hunt on private property if the landowner does not permit it (either implicitly or explicitly).

No one is entitled to hunt someone else's private property. If you are unable or unwilling to pay the required trespass fee, you have to find somewhere else to hunt. You may not like it, it may not seem "fair" to you, but you don't get to make the rules on someone else's patch.

I think the complaint can be boiled downed to this: most of us were born too late, too poor, or too far away to obtain the hunting property of our dreams. This causes envy among some, and downright hostility in a few.

In any case, unless people are seeking an abrogation of indiviual property rights, the only solution is look harder (or pay more) for private land, or work on improving public land by building guzzlers and catchments. Several SCI Chapters are doing great work in the deserts out West.

George
P.S. We ALL pay taxes. I pay plenty in taxes, and I get little in return (no welfare, no subsidies, no government benefits, no "free ride", etc.).

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
No one is entitled to hunt someone else's private property. If you are unable or unwilling to pay the required trespass fee, you have to find somewhere else to hunt. You may not like it, it may not seem "fair" to you, but you don't get to make the rules on someone else's patch.

I'm ok with that. I'm saying that there is quite a bit of public land that is off limits to the general public. More than half of some southwestern states are owned by the government. The point I make is that government land does not belong to Washington - and that the Feds' denying the public access to these areas has had a hand in the rise of pay hunting and "trespass fees". The problem I have is when individuals or corporations through unnatural or political advantage gain access to these areas that are otherwise restricted.

My beef is not with the private landowner - provided that he himself wholly owns his property and is not a ward of the state. The land-owning ward of the state is something that has recently come into being - and it is something else entirely.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Aquavit,

I agree with you 100%!

George

------------------

<Hans>
posted
Gentlemen:

While you are not allowed to hunt anothers land the law also provides recourse for you gaining access to public land.

In many areas a private land owner who controls the only access to public land will be required to grant access to the said public land through an easment. You need to check to see what the rule of law is on this issue in your individual State. Many courts will hold a dim view on those who attempt to assert unlawfull dominion over identified and publicly funded and maintained public use land. The legal term is "conversion".

Rather than complaining, be courteous but exercise your legal options, Many times the land owner is being feed false information from outfitters etc. and if you have a letter drafted by a lawyer pointing out the law and issues to the owner, many times you will not have a problem with the land owner. Often he will be more than willing to grant you access to the BLM land with perhaps the Caveat that you cannot load your rifle while on his land, or that you may only cross at a designated point.

Failing that, you have the right to seek recourse through the court. Many who are trying to Convert public land for private gain will not want this brought before a court. It is very costly to be involved in losing litigation, and it is also unwise to have illegal activities brought to the attention of the legal system.

You are not perhaps as much in legal detriment as you may think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is called "free interprise" and that is how supply and demand work, it is a way of life in our country!! thats how the ranchers feed their kids.

Your other alternative is to move to a foriegn country where the Government owns all the land and socialism and welfare become a way of life, gimme, gimme, gimmie...

Nope, I take it the way it is and you should accept it unless your ready to give up all your freedoms...

My suggestion to you is to stop whining and drive your car a couple of years longer, live a different life style and spend that savings on hunting, we all have choices..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
90% of the Pacific Northwest is United States Forrest and BlM land and the only non-access Fed. land that I know of is National Parks, and I have no problem with that...some few acreages are landlocked by private ranches and have limited access except to the very hardy.

I would like to hear some specifics as to what and where land is allocated for certain people, or magnate giants etc. as opposed to a general statment or accusation...If such a thing exists we can certainly put a stop to it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Lobstick River>
posted
I always count my blessings when I read these posts that I live where I do when it comes to hunting. Alberta is roughly the same size as Texas with over 60% of the province being public land. Farmers are not allowed to charge trespass fees of any kind and in fact most farmers welcome hunters here at least where I live. Plus the fact that we have approximately 100,000 hunters means there is room for all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GEORGE-

I went and changed "douche bag" for you. Didn't think it was that abrasive, sorry. Since I am just a lowly Law Enforcement guy, and only make a few thousand a year, maybe you can help me out. What are the non-resident rat and pigeon tags going for in NYC. Also what's the average rate for a one gun lease on a good rat area. I may be able to afford these. What are High Quality landowner rat tags going for up there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I would like to hear some specifics as to what and where land is allocated for certain people, or magnate giants etc. as opposed to a general statment or accusation...If such a thing exists we can certainly put a stop to it.

We could start with, say, NW Wyoming, that mountainous and forested part of the state where it is required that out-of-state hunters use a guide when pursuing big game. No big deal there, and possibly a good idea. But let us not forget that a good portion of this is government land. Several "outfitters" run their operations in this area, and have tracts set aside for their use - an "outfitter" being anyone able to afford the license. Not an accusation, but a statement of fact: the license grants exclusive rights to the holder and the land is not open to the general public. I wouldn't have a problem with an outfitter operating on private land.

The government sells rights and access to outfitters, timber companies, etc., etc. That's not a business that government should be involved in - and in many cases, that is not why these lands were set aside.

Remember that idea put forth by our founding fathers: not to delegate to government any authority that you would be unable to exercise yourself?

Put a stop to it my dear economist?

Atkinson, you'd surely want a hand in it.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

one of us
posted Hide Post
I reread my initial post and am lost in the responses.

I never had a problem with the landowners at all, and this is the direction the thread swung to. Then it has gotten turned into a class/salary thing. Then I get told to spend more money.

I would spend it if I could!!!! But it's kinda like seeing the wholesale price of a gun and then having to pay retail to your gun shop owner. It's just hard to stomach.

I can hunt just as hard as an outfitter or one of his guides. I am still young. I have good quality equipment, and shoot well.

Just sticking to antelope, if an outfitter paid $1000 for the tag, why should I have to pay $2000 for him to drive me around in a truck for two days in my own state????

Never hated a rancher, and don't think they shouldn't make extra cash on game. I just want it to be my cash.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"you spend entirely too much time hunting, this shack is falling apart"!
I hear this every sunday morning when I leave for work. I have never paid anyone a penny to hunt on his land, my hunts starts on the phone or by cruising the county roads seeking permission. It's not as easy as it was but it hasn't stopped me.
Leif

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Asking for permission is sometimes the easiest, however, I remember when I used to live in Colorado that quite a few areas were owned by people from out of state and not around during elk season. It happenens sometimes, but you just move on. I agree sometimes you hunt more for a place to hunt than you do for the game, but eventually it will pay off.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeremy,I guess you're talking about the Jolley,that leads the grass root movement for public access. I hadn't heard anything about the forum,but there has been alot of publicity over PK Lane,in the big horn mountains. Basically PK lane is an old toll road that leads to about 2000acres of state land plus the Big Horns themselves. It's been open to the public,since the 1800's. Last year Beckton stock farm tried to close it off to the public stating that hunters were trashing it out. Through total coincidence I'm sure.It just so happens that the stock farm leased out its hunting to an outfitter who also guides on the 2000 acre parcel of state land and the surounding National forest. The case is currently in the 4th judicial court.
What ray says about being able to put a stop to these things,sounds good in theory.But the problem is,it costs plenty of out of pocket money to get the ball rolling and then if you deal within the state your likely to run into a good old boy judge who is so far removed from reality,that you'll get some bullshit ruling. Not to mention the most important part. As a tax paying citizen,you shouldn't have to spend money trying to gain access to land you are continually paying for.
The publication that Jolley puts out is well worth reading, they document and publish all records of conflicts between the public and those who try to control access to public lands. Not to mention lists for public record the names of those who hold leases to public lands,throughout wyoming.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<whisler>
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen. If you want to hunt, if there is a will, there is a way (legal). I have lived and hunted in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Indiana and am leaving on a spring bear hunt tomorrow. Yes, I am one of the out of state hunters paying HARD EARNED money to hunt with an outfitter. But, I have belonged to hunting clubs, leased property, hunted public land, had private land leased out from under me. That my friends is part of the game. Learn to play or take you ball and glove and go home. It ain't easy, but we are all here to make a living. Check the local, state and federal laws, talk to land owners, work at it with a positive attitude and you will find that sweet spot to hunt (for a while).
Last 2 years I have hunted public land for deer with no luck, I now have several hundered acres of private land to hunt and am working on developing a relationship with landowners and farmers so I can gain more. Yes, I am long winded....

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
How would you like people tromping across your back yard? I know, I know all of us here are responsible hunters that don't trespass and we always pick up all of our trash. Also our campfires are always in a ring of rocks with all the leaves and other forest trash raked back 5 feet.
Put money aside and think about it for a minute. Our cattle graze that land, if an irresponsble person or someone unfamiliar with backcountry etiquite burns half of it up or leaves a bunch of plastic bags for our livestock to choke on it is hard for us to find them. However if a outfitter does it we have someone to blame and we cancel their lease. We as ranchers are looking out for our country.
I'm just asking for you to put yourselves in our shoes. If you ever get time ask one of those western ranchers that has a blm or forest service lease how much longer they think they will be able to keep it.
If you want to get mad at someone for blocking hunting on millions of acres (except for the mega rich) read up on Ted Turner.

------------------
don't cuss farmers and ranchers with your mouth full

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something that needs to be said. Ranchers/Landowners feed all the wildlife that lives on their land,year after year. Even wildlife from public land will feed on private alfalfa or pastures during summer/fall saving natural grass for winter. I took my cattle out of pasture last Sept. because my grass was getting poor due to drought. All winter and spring there have been over 200 mule deer in there eating or tramping the little grass left. If indeed the "people" own all wildlife then perhaps they should pay for the feed.
People living in cities put up fences/ guard dogs, barred windows etc.to restrict access to their property but when farmers restrict access they are greedy a$$holes. The same people who have the six foot high chain link fence around their city property are the ones who have problems with access to private farmland. They have the opinion that if they have the money they will do as they damn please, this is why landowners are'selling out' to outfitters.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like some other folks who post here, I live in a major metropolitan area. The only local hunting is done with minimal success, great inconvenience and in depressing conditions. So all my good hunting is out-of-state or out-of-country. And I earn more money than the average American, and of course pay more than the average American in the course of living where I do.

But I strongly disagree with those who think this is all about MONEY. That the one with the most bucks (bad pun) wins the hunting game. Attitudes like that are what have been killing the hunting tradition in America (and a few other values besides).

Hunting is about being able to take your son or daughter or father or nephew or brother or friend out and discover your roots, your hunting instincts, the circle of life, and the camraderie of the pursuit. None of that has anything to do with money.

That game is a scarce public resource is obvious. But it is a PUBLIC resource, and was never meant to be managed for profit by the government agencies entrusted with preserving the hunting legacy and our wildlife diversity for ALL to enjoy, not just the well-heeled.

You can't restrict a landowner's rights to use his property, nor do I want to. But the perverse incentives that cause landowners to give out exclusive leases for access must come to an end, for the good of hunting.

We keep hearing of how the number of hunters is down every year nationally. In that case you would think finding a place to hunt with game on it would be easy. Wrong. Hunters are taking up golf, boating, target shooting, etc etc because hunting ACCESS is becoming a rich man's sport. People want to hunt, they just can't afford it or find it.

The perverse incentives are those in which states dole out non-resident licences like candy to junkies with a pocketful of cash. The folks with limited time but larger coin will pay top dollar, in licences, guides and miscellaney, and that squeezes out the residents and non-residents alike of more modest means.

If I lived in a relatively rural state and accepted the inevitable lower wages for a lifestyle in which I had an expectation of enjoying lower cost and easier access hunting, I'd be flaming mad right now. And there is something to do about it, and it's not buying land at inflated prices - - it's booting out your elected representatives and electing ones that understand what public game management is all about.

Non-resident licenses should be on lottery and restricted. Some guy that chooses to live in New York City sacrifices easy hunting access for his urban lifestyle. It's that simple. In one sense our nations game animals are in trust for all Americans, so non-residents shouldn't be barred. But perhaps waiting 3 years or more to hunt in a particular state is the price one pays for living somewhere else.

And there is no reason the non-resident license should cost very much more than the resident license. That is just highway robbery. By keeping the cost of the licenses the same, and restricting the easy "pay me more on the spot" system, access will open up. The demand will level out, once the number of licenses is managed to reflect a strong preference for residents, and far less incentive to those who will pay almost any price for access.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote