THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What bullet for 30/30 on Moose and Alaskan Brown Bears?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for 30/30 on Moose and Alaskan Brown Bears?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
Why would you assume I was talking about you? It was an honest question? I mention "dipshit" and here you come with your resume again... It's not fair for you to profile yourself like that and its really not fair to dipshits the world over to be lumped in with you..

Post one of your articles... I'd love to read one as well. Lets see how much you really know. I'd love to read one where you hunted dangerous game at all...

Todd

Another fucking post that is nothing but a waste of time to read. You know damn well that every single post in this thread has been directed strictly at me, so don't post something that comes off as a lie that it wasn't!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Fair enough! Why don't you give us your real name or pen name, so we can read some of your writings.

Topgun.....I believe graybird has called you out

Put up or.......you know

Fuck him and the rest of these clowns that seem to be having fun at someone's expense that doesn't really give a shit what they think, LOL!

Like I told a gent that boasted of killing 32 B&C elk

Put up your proof or don't make claims otherwise you must be ok with being a liar

Put up my proof of what, as I haven't made any claims other than shooting a lot of game over 60+ years, so that sure shouldn't come close to alleging me to be a liar. I know I've taken over 100 big game animals with all kinds of equipment, but I'm also not one to count and put one in a digest of some sort and many haven't even had a picture taken of them until I got a digital camera a few years ago. I just really hope you all are getting your kicks out of kicking a guy in the balls that just lost his prize pointer a couple weeks ago and that still feels like shit because of it. This thread really makes me feel great after going through all of that! Have your fun and stick this site up your asses!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO!!!

My wife just taught me something new!!!

Topgun must be butthurt!

From the Urban Dictionary: Butthurt

Definition: An inappropriately strong emotional response from a perceived personal insult. Characterized by strong feelings of shame. Frequently associated with a cessation of communication and overt hostility towards the "aggressor".

Example: Adam got butthurt when Mike stole his bitch.

Don't get butthurt, Topgun. It isn't like I stole your bitch!!! Bwhahahahahaha!!!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ROFLMAO!!!

My wife just taught me something new!!!

Topgun must be butthurt!

From the Urban Dictionary: Butthurt

Definition: An inappropriately strong emotional response from a perceived personal insult. Characterized by strong feelings of shame. Frequently associated with a cessation of communication and overt hostility towards the "aggressor".

Example: Adam got butthurt when Mike stole his bitch.

Don't get butthurt, Topgun. It isn't like I stole your bitch!!! Bwhahahahahaha!!!

I hope you lose a prized dog so I can come back with a post like that after I told you that! You are a total asshole and your buddy is just as bad! What a couple of turds!!!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
This isn't about your bird dog, heck I've got three of my own in the back yard.

I just wanted to know what caliber and bullet you used to take you moose and brown bear with. Since you've taken most of the game in the lower 48, surely one of them has been a moose at the very least.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This isn't about your bird dog, heck I've got three of my own in the back yard.

I just wanted to know what caliber and bullet you used to take you moose and brown bear with. Since you've taken most of the game in the lower 48, surely one of them has been a moose at the very least.

I'll not waste any more of my time on here with you two assholes from CO after reading your last tasteless posts, as I don't have to prove anything to either of you and I sure don't see any site rules saying I need to post a bunch of picturs in order to validate having an opinion on here! It's the two of you that are being bullies and complete jackasses! Now post more of your BS, as I hope it makes you feel real big in knocking a guy when he's already down and out and very depressed after losing his best friend!!!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Topgun,

Take your blood pressure meds. I'm not the one that dropped the "f" bomb towards me, but it was you. Therefore, you put the target squarely on your own back.

Were you thinking about your pup when you were setting us all straight about BB guns and DG hunting in Africa in the beginning of this thread? Now, that you've been questioned, it's about kicking a guy when he's down. I don't deal well with pity parties, especially when someone tells me to "f" off.

You're nothing more than a legend in your own mind partner!!!

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Topgun,

Take your blood pressure meds. I'm not the one that dropped the "f" bomb towards me, but it was you. Therefore, you put the target squarely on your own back.

Were you thinking about your pup when you were setting us all straight about BB guns and DG hunting in Africa in the beginning of this thread? Now, that you've been questioned, it's about kicking a guy when he's down. I don't deal well with pity parties, especially when someone tells me to "f" off.

You're nothing more than a legend in your own mind partner!!!

Assholes don't usually deal too well with anyone and your last couple posts have more than shown what you are!!! The way you've been on here I sure wasn't going to make a post and say I love you man, LOL! I sent CHC an email with a picture of me with the Shiras moose you so badly wanted to see and asked if he would please post it for me, but I have no idea whether he will or not. It's really no big deal if he doesn't, but if he does maybe then you'll STFU like you should have about 10 posts ago!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope this C/P recap of my 3 month trip last year that I posted on another website is good enough for you two, but I really don't give a damn whether it is or not and an apology doesn't mean shit to me after your nasty disrepectful posts to someone you don't know from Adam!

Hey guys! I've been with a number of good folks, including Travis on this site, enjoying the great outdoors! I just got back yesterday afternoon from my three month trip that took me to Nevada, Oregon, back to Nevada, Wyoming, New Mexico, and North Dakota. No, I'm not rich in money off of a state pension, but it doesn't take a lot of money to have a great time with good folks who also enjoy my favorite pastime! I've now been retired since June of 2002, was just 66 years young in August, and am enjoying every minute I can in the great outdoors! I only had two cheap doe antelope tags and a buck deer tag for Wyoming this year, while most of the time in 3 of the other states was helping friends and a new acquaintance on their hunts. I haven't even had time to load the 200+ pictures I took into the computer yet and the USB cable for my camera somehow got "misplaced", but I think I know where it is, LOL!

My buddy John, from Sheridan, got a nice Cali Bighorn sheep on the 6th day of our Oregon hunt in the Beatys unit just north of the Nevada state line in early September, but we came up empty on the archery elk hunt northwest of Elko, Nevada. We saw elk every day the first week of that hunt in late August, as well as every day when we returned to the unit in September after the sheep hunt. We had a big bull inside 50 yards one day late in the hunt, but it wouldn't step out from behind a big bush and finally walked straight away with the band of cows he had with him. If John had been gun hunting he could have probably shot it, but not with archery equipment.

I lost about 10 days of scouting in Wyoming the last part of September when my truck had a lifter in the #4 cylinder start going out and I had to lay over in Sheridan at John's house to wait on parts and the repair job. They put in all new lifters and a camshaft to the tune of $3800, so I'll be keeping it another 5 years or so instead of getting a new one in about 2 years like I had been planning. The good thing was that the repairs were done before our Wyoming seasons opened and I got over the mountain with my new (used) 19' trailer to where we hunt on 10/1, which was the opener for antelope. I shot two does later in the month with my .243 Sako and gave them to a rancher who lives close to where we hunt.

I got out to scout the first week of October and quickly found a herd of elk with over 200 in it, but no real big bulls. They stayed in a state section we hunt for several days and I figured they would still be there for the opener since nobody seems to know the area is huntable. Well before daylight on the opener I took a guy from California that I met out there and a friend of John's from Ohio to the spot and we got set up perfectly on the herd. At daylight they took a nice 6x7 nontypical bull and a cow out of the herd and it was into the next day before all the meat was backpacked out to camp. The rut was obviously still going and it was exciting listening to all the bulls bugling and watching some fighting for breeding rights, chasing cows around, etc.

On one weekend John came over Friday night after his work week and brought a friend and the guy's 14 year old boy with him. We found the big herd again late that Saturday afternoon and the kid shot a nice 5x5 bull and it took us until the middle of the day Sunday to get him packed out to camp. The kid getting his first elk on his first bull license was the highlight of the entire trip for me.

We saw a number of nice mulies as the month progressed with the rut getting closer and definitely one that I wanted, but I just couldn't get close enough for a good shot at him. We finally packed up and left several days before the season ended on 10/31 because of a bad weather forecast and wanting to make sure that we got down to unit 2b in NM in time for the 5 day mulie hunt John drew from 11/2-11/6. He pulled my trailer back to his house for me with his bigger 3/4 ton GMC truck and I followed him in my 1/2 ton Silverado. The road over the mountain was already getting pretty nasty and it was only 3 degrees when we went over the pass heading down to Buffalo, but we made it okay and headed to NM the next day with good roads all the way.

Getting the early start to NM gave us a couple days to scout and we found a lot of deer, but very few bucks that were worth looking at. A guy working for an oil company out there stopped and we chatted with him at camp and told him we were disappointed about not seeing any good bucks and it looked like it was going to be a repeat of the hunt John drew there a couple years ago. He told us he had been seeing a decent buck coming to a small water hole with some does and where it was. Opening morning found us into a lot of deer, but not a decent buck was seen in the area. I went to another area to scout opening night where we had seen some deer and 10 elk the day before and John went and ended up shooting that buck near that water hole late that first night! It was a nice 3x4, but not the kind of buck that the area is touted for! We went back the next morning and boned the entire deer out and backpacked it back to camp well before noon, packed John's 7x12 cargo trailer up and headed to Sheridan so that we got past Denver that night. The next day we drove on to Sheridan and took the meat to his processor near Dayton. They had the antelope ready that we had shot the weekend before, so we took it back with us to his house. It was a very nice 15 1/2" buck with good cutters and decent mass that I rough scored at a little over 80".

Since John had the rest of that week off and I didn't have to be in Rapid City until late on Saturday to pick up my friend for our ND pheasant hunt, we decided to go back over the mountain with his cargo trailer for several days to try for the cow elk he drew a tag for. We found a bunch with over 125 in it the first night and they were still in the same spot the next morning. They were on the small ranch we hunt once in a while and we went and asked the ranching couple if we could have the key to their gate so we could drive to within a mile or so of the herd. They let us do that and we made a good stalk the middle of the afternoon with a good wind helping us and John nailed a huge cow at about 125 yards. While I dressed the cow out John was able to go back to the truck and brought his quad to within 100 yards of the downed animal. That is the only animal that we have not backpacked out to the truck or camp since I started out there in the 90s and it was a welcome relief after all the other animals I had helped haul out in the previous hunts! We got back to the truck after dark with all the boned out meat, had a good nights sleep, and went back over the mountain to the processor with the meat the next day. They had already finished the NM deer, so we took that back with us and I had a couple days to relax at John's house before I headed to Rapid City on Saturday, the 9th.

On the 9th I took a leisurely drive to Rapid City with my trailer and picked up my friend that flew in late that evening from Florida. The next morning we headed up to ND for a week of pheasant hunting behind my faithful 10 year old DD pointer. Herc was fantastic both pointing and fetching roosters and the weather was great the entire week for a change, as we have lost entire hunts to blizzards, etc. in past years. We ended up getting 23 of the 24 legal roosters the law allowed in our possession and we missed more than a few in the process of getting them! We drove back down to Rapid City late Friday evening and my friend got his plane back to Florida early Saturday morning as I headed home on I-90 with good weather until I hit Illinois yesterday afternoon. The weather was much too warm for the middle of November, hitting 70 degrees at 1PM, and then the high winds started and it was hard staying in my lane with the 19' trailer behind me in the strong cross wind coming out of the south. There were numerous tornadoes and heavy rain throughout the Midwest the rest of the day, but I made it home at 3PM and am now catching up on mail, email, and just plain relaxing until I head up north to my cabin later this week for the rest of the month to hunt our rifle whitetail season that opened on the 15th. Anyone who would like to see some pictures is welcome to email me on an individual basis and I'll try to get them to you after I find my USB cable and get them on the computer. I hope everyone else on the site is having as great a time as 2013 has already given me. Over and out!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then screw you, your Mother, and the rest of your GD relatives as you don't even know what a friggin troll is that you keep talking about, although you're doing a good job of being one yourself! Hey, how about showing us all your trophies over the career you must have had to be such a pompous asshole to someone you don't even know!

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the personal attacks come I always found that the attacker has lost the argument.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
When the personal attacks come I always found that the attacker has lost the argument.

Kinda goes back to the definition of butthurt again doesn't it.

Oh well, some things never change.

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
popcorn

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then screw you, your Mother, and the rest of your GD relatives as you don't even know what a friggin troll is that you keep talking about, although you're doing a good job of being one yourself! Hey, how about showing us all your trophies over the career you must have had to be such a pompous asshole to someone you don't even know!

You really need to take a step back from the keyboard, pour yourself a stiff one, and calm down. You are getting extremely defensive. Deep breath, man.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
(QUOTE) You really need to take a step back from the keyboard, pour yourself a stiff one, and calm down. You are getting extremely defensive. Deep breath, man. (QUOTE)

I already took a step back for an entire day or more. If you were doing your job as a good Moderator should, you wouldn't be allowing these jackasses to post all the offensive stuff that I'm defending myself against! Would you like to be called a liar and have your entire hunting life and animals taken challenged like these guys are doing that don't even know me and just sit back and take it? I don't drink, but I think at least one of these guys might be tipping a few before he types all these insults when I haven't put up anything on this thread regarding the subject of using a bigger caliber for dangerous game than anybody else has. If these kinds of personal attacks are allowed on this site, it's no wonder there are fewer people posting here than any site I'm on because everyone is being chased away by this kind of crap. The same jerk also pulled this same garbage on me back in January and got away with it then too! Maybe if you cleaned up this site by eliminating that kind of crap you wouldn't be reading this or the other post you referred to! PS: I'm on several of the biggest hunting websites and I don't believe there is even a handful of members on them that come to this site. Gee, I wonder why!!! This apparent "no holds barred" website policy that must exist until I have had to come back with those posts is not the way to run a good website IMHO. It's no wonder there are few posts on this Forum seeing as how this debacle was allowed and then you have the nerve to tell me to calm down and say nothing to the ones that caused this in the first place! Please go back a couple pages and read all the crap that these members posted against me and tell me you wouldn't have been more than pissed to eventually do what I did!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Whoa!
looks like this thread ran off the tracks a bit.
As the OP I request we stay on topic or let it die.
"Was thinking of staying with the 150 grain Winchester Power Points because of the velocity and penetration I'm getting on Deer, but willing to listen to suggestions?
Should I move up to 170's or stay with 150's and go to a premium bullet?
Shots will be under 200 yards.
If the 30/30 doesn't seem like enough gun I can move up to a 30/40 Krag"
Thanks all for participating.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use whatever you want, as it's your butt that will be in trouble if what you use doesn't do the job on a brownie and he comes for you!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
looks like this thread ran off the tracks a bit.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes shocker

I believe that someone intended this discussion to go off track.

Asked in the manner it was and to this audience by someone that has been around since 2005, I have a difficult time believing this was all an innocent question.

Your not that naïve. I believe you were well aware how this conversation would go.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
(QUOTE) You really need to take a step back from the keyboard, pour yourself a stiff one, and calm down. You are getting extremely defensive. Deep breath, man. (QUOTE)

I already took a step back for an entire day or more. If you were doing your job as a good Moderator should, you wouldn't be allowing these jackasses to post all the offensive stuff that I'm defending myself against! Would you like to be called a liar and have your entire hunting life and animals taken challenged like these guys are doing that don't even know me and just sit back and take it? I don't drink, but I think at least one of these guys might by tipping before he types all these insults when I haven't put up anything on this thread regarding the subject of using a bigger caliber for dangerous game than anybody else has. If these kinds of personal attacks are allowed on this site, it's no wonder there are fewer people posting here than any site I'm on because everyone is being chased away by this kind of crap. The same jerk also pulled this same garbage on me back in January and got away with it then too! Maybe if you cleaned up this site by eliminating that kind of crap you wouldn't be reading this or the other post you referred to! PS: I'm on several of the biggest hunting websites and I don't believe there is even a handful of members on them that come to this site. Gee, I wonder why!!! This apparent "no holds barred" website policy that must exist until I have had to come back with those posts is not the way to run a good website IMHO. It's no wonder there are few posts on this Forum seeing as how this debacle was allowed and then you have the nerve to tell me to calm down and say nothing to the ones that caused this in the first place! Please go back a couple pages and read all the crap that these members posted against me and tell me you wouldn't have been more than pissed to eventually do what I did!

First and foremost, no one is responsible for taking the bait but you. Own your actions. Secondly, if you have at all been paying even an iota of attention here, you would know that we do not moderate with a heavy hand. If you want that kind of administration, look elsewhere. You accused a poster early on of using profanities and a couple of pages later it is you who is exhibiting a propensity for poor language. So don't go pointing fingers unless you are righteous. Over-moderating kills websites. You won't find that here, but for no-holds-barred, I would suggest heading over to 24 hour where you would have been truly raked over the coals. Now, having said that, there is no reason in the world to get defensive and start lashing out.

Back to the topic at hand, I am not a believer in muzzle energy. It is something that is not measurable (it's calculated), and is a poor measure of lethality. Under the limited ranges intended by the OP, with a good bullet and placement, there is no really good reason not to use the .30-30 IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. Holes kill animals, not figures on the back of an ammo box and if you have enough penetration to reach and destroy the vitals, you are in business.

Now, everyone play nicely.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
By the way again,...

This is who you are insulting tough guy.. You should feel better about yourself now you prick.

So far, my wife, four year old daughter and chocolate lab have more valid hunting experience than you do.

Todd

Hey tough guy! I might be old, but if we were face to face and you said things like you're famous for doing on a keypad you'd get your butt kicked all the way to CA. If you want photos of all I've done, send me your email address and I'll send you enough photos to keep you busy until the new year. The ball is now in your court, so either put up or STFU!!! PS: I can now see that with kids that young you're just a punk wannabe and I have shorts older than you. If you continue to insult me like you have and the Mods let you get away with it, you'll get it right back family or not, so if you don't like it grow the hell up and quit posting crap!!! I could also give a rat's ass who the Moderator is when they let you get away with your posts and calling me names with no repercussions! PPS: Hard to believe an asshole like yourself could have such a nice looking wife and kids. Do you also kick your dog?!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You know, I'm older now and like to think that I am smarter or at least wiser than I was when I was younger. But when I was a young, paid middleweight I was most certainly more lethal then than now. Now, I can with a clear conscience say that I have probably forgotten more about fighting that a vast majority of men will ever know, I will never make the assumption that I can kick someone's backside without knowing a hell-of-a-lot more about them than an internet personality. All of the back and forth is internet bravado, plain and simple. Now I have a suggestion for everyone, cool off, and debate like adults.

Everyone settle down.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
You know, I'm older now and like to think that I am smarter or at least wiser than I was when I was younger. But when I was a young, paid middleweight I was most certainly more lethal then than now. Now, I can with a clear conscience say that I have probably forgotten more about fighting that a vast majority of men will ever know, I will never make the assumption that I can kick someone's backside without knowing a hell-of-a-lot more about them than an internet personality. All of the back and forth is internet bravado, plain and simple. Now I have a suggestion for everyone, cool off, and debate like adults.

Everyone settle down.

I've said my piece and don't take anything thrown at me that I won't throw back when I'm treated like dirt! I've explained why I don't post pictures on this out of date website and many others have said they won't for the same reason! I have now asked this jerkoff for his email addy and I'll flood his box with so many pictures he'll miss a couple hunting seasons looking at them. As I told him, the ball is in his court and if he's man enough to give me his addy I'll send him plenty of validation pictures. Then he can apologize and end this whole mess and short of that he can kiss my!!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Topgun, the internet is a strange place. It simply doesn't pay to get riled up when someone is throwing chum in the water. Not worth it. It's only the internet after all. That said, there really is no reason why we can't all behave with civility.

It's easy to post pictures here. Like nearly all sites, you need a photo hosting site to post up photos. I would suggest photo bucked. Even someone of my computer illiteracy can use photo bucket.

It's all good.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks, be prepared. Top Gun got my email address and began sending me stuff. I told him to stop and he finally did. I don't know what his problem is, but he definitely has one.

This is just an internet chatroom, nothing more, but Top Gun takes things way too serious.

If he starts sending you stuff, report him to the authorities, his behavior borders on stalking.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
yuck ROFLMAO

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Topgun, the internet is a strange place. It simply doesn't pay to get riled up when someone is throwing chum in the water. Not worth it. It's only the internet after all. That said, there really is no reason why we can't all behave with civility.

It's easy to post pictures here. Like nearly all sites, you need a photo hosting site to post up photos. I would suggest photo bucked. Even someone of my computer illiteracy can use photo bucket.

It's all good.

You keep telling me to behave with civility. I was not doing anything other than registering my opinion like everyone else was doing until one guy started in on me again. Then a couple more brave souls decided to tag team and things got out of hand after I was called a liar, etc. It may be the internet, but I'm human and have never been called a liar in my life until that happened. A liar and a thief are two things that I despise and that set me off. The young punk obviously got his jollies out of it and continues to do so. I have to differ with you on your statement about posting pictures on this site. It's the only one of many sites that I'm on that doesn't just have an icon you can click on to bring up a browse box and allow a picture to be attached with a couple more clicks of a button. I will not use photobucket or any of those other types of sites just like a lot of other members have said they won't, so putting pictures on this site is out and as i stated before that isn't the reason I came on here anyway. I have tried to compromise as best I can and have offered to send photos to the guy's email addy and all he has done is come back with more crap, which is about what I expected from him. I guess my alternative now is to simply put him on ignore and forget he exists since he can't treat people with a little respect like he wants himself. Have a good evening and I'm sorry you had to get involved in this!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Folks, be prepared. Top Gun got my email address and began sending me stuff. I told him to stop and he finally did. I don't know what his problem is, but he definitely has one.

This is just an internet chatroom, nothing more, but Top Gun takes things way too serious.

If he starts sending you stuff, report him to the authorities, his behavior borders on stalking.

Now here comes MR. Paranoid with more BS!!! I have to laugh when you talk about me taking things too serious, as you're one of the first to blow up on this site when things aren't going your way, LOL! Are you aware your email address is right on your profile, so I didn't have to "get it"! If you don't want emails, then all you have to do is take it off your profile!!! There is also an easy way to block any emails you don't want coming to your addy just like the ignore on here doesn't allow PMs. Hope that helps you with your make believe theory and nobody has to worry about me bothering or stalking them, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Top Gun have caused more than my share of controversy and conflict on AR and while I still have a ways to go, I have learned a lot.

One thing is that internet wide everyone that participates on forums has buttons. Some of those buttons are easier to push with some folks than they are with others.

On every site there are button pushers, they figure out which buttons to push on which people to get the response they want, it is their idea of fun and that is not going to change.

One other thing that does not change is that folks on these sites have long memories and develop grudges against people and once a grudge develops against someone, they never let go of them.

As for your comments about the emails, this site has a private Messaging feature and that is the proper way to discuss subjects outside the normal parameters of a discussion on the site. I had you on ignore, so you could not reach me via that venue, so you started emailing me with your BS and I told you to stop doing so.

This whole thing turned into a cluster, when it should have been on the funny side. It is funny now, but in a sad way as it glaringly illustrates why hunters will never be able to stand together as a united group on any subject.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with topgun 30-06 here.
just-a-hunter, that is a lovely family you have there, you are a lucky man!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What, no pictures?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ignore function on this site seems to work quite well.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, if you go with the 170 check the BCs of the available bullets. The Speers typically give among the flattest trajectories (except for the new Hornady gummy tips, but they have a bit of a reputation for being soft).

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Bore: Heavy 30-30 Winchester Ammo - 190 gr. JFN Custom Hawk bullet @ 2100 fps (1860 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Yup. I would think that would work.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I didnt read all 4 pages of this, but that sounds like a heavy duty round round. My favorite 30-30 round, although admittedly not used on moose, has been the 170 grain Silvertip. It sure does a lot well.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double post. Sorry.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed many Alaskan moose and have watched my partners kill many more. All but a few were under 100 yards away and the majority were killed under 50 yards. Never once did I see a moose drop when hit unless it was spined. 90% of the ones I shot were with a 375 H&H. You shoot, they either stand there and look at you or run 50 yards and soon they are dead.

I would not feel handicapped using the 30/30 for moose with any respectable bullet under 50 yards. Plug them in the lungs with a bullet or two and get the knives and the backpacks ready because then the work really starts.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom must be having a boring day at work or something. I'd be curious how the 30/30 worked on brown bear though, if he lives.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Snellstrom must be having a boring day at work or something. I'd be curious how the 30/30 worked on brown bear though, if he lives.

Hey, don't question him shooting that Brown Bear with his 30-30, as you might get this thread in an uproar again, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
100gr CEB Tipped Raptor for 1st shot followed by as many 100gr solids as you can stuff in your magazine tube!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote