THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What bullet for 30/30 on Moose and Alaskan Brown Bears?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for 30/30 on Moose and Alaskan Brown Bears?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Was thinking of staying with the 150 grain Winchester Power Points because of the velocity and penetration I'm getting on Deer, but willing to listen to suggestions?
Should I move up to 170's or stay with 150's and go to a premium bullet?
Shots will be under 200 yards.
If the 30/30 doesn't seem like enough gun I can move up to a 30/40 Krag.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If I was going to Alaska to hunt moose and bear I would beg, borrow or steal something with a little more power and energy than a 30-30 or 30-40 Krag. I have heard stories of moose being killed with 22 Hornet but that was by native meat hunters and not by folks spending a fair amount of money to go hunting for a limited amount of time.
With proper shot placement and short range there is no doubt that the 30-30 can get the job done but why would you want to do so?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
With proper shot placement and short range there is no doubt that the 30-30 can get the job done but why would you want to do so?

Because he wants too and is confident that he can.

Are you paying for the hunt or funeral? If the answer is No, than he should go ahead with his game plan.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Was thinking of staying with the 150 grain Winchester Power Points because of the velocity and penetration I'm getting on Deer, but willing to listen to suggestions?
Should I move up to 170's or stay with 150's and go to a premium bullet?
Shots will be under 200 yards.
If the 30/30 doesn't seem like enough gun I can move up to a 30/40 Krag.

locals i know are using the 170 grains but it s only for grizzly dont know about brown bear.

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt seriously that the OP is going to find any guide/outfitter that will take him on a brown bear hunt with a 30-30 regardless of what bullets he wants to use!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Move up to 348 win. 250 grn. bullets.

Posts: 1096 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
I doubt seriously that the OP is going to find any guide/outfitter that will take him on a brown bear hunt with a 30-30 regardless of what bullets he wants to use!

Heck they take them out with pistols and sticks and strings. Laid down the money and they well take him.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This place is TFF

Ask for pork and get told you want beef....

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the heaviest bonded bullet available for the 30-30 choose my shot carefully and work that lever until the bear is down.

Sounds like a cool hunt...Good Luck!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be done,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZsgwPlLM0

As for bullet choice, go for something that creates a ton of trauma and penetrates deeply, backed up with a solid.

quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Any terminal performance tests on the 100 grain 308?
Curious to see the cutting edge new and really improved 30-30 performance popcorn

Friend and B&M Owner from VA has been here for a couple of days, and we have been busy on the range. We did accomplish quite a bit, and I have loads of data to input on several various things.

One of the main things my buddy needed to work on was some sub-sonic rifle for his "canned" 308. So we did a lot with that, which is a pain of course. But, also learned some things about the 100 gr ESP Raptor in both 308 and 30/30 while we were at it. Working with a rifle with a can is about like working with a double rifle--look at it cross eyed and POI changes!

Also, this has me behind on other projects that I wanted to work on, like 338 data, LVSP on the new .510 cavity (99.9% sure about that anyway), but still gotta know 100%. And many other things. I got both of my 223s back with the new 1:8 twist barrels, kinda wanted to play with some Raptors with them as well!

But, I was curious about how the 30/30 would do with it's new HI SPEED 100 ESP Raptor!

Couple of points to ponder-- Adding the C-Talon Tip gave the bullet an extra 321 fps at 48 yard Impact! That is significant to say the least! This extra impact velocity as you can see gave it an extra 2 inches of penetration. More important than the extra penetration was the extra Trauma inflicted and a slightly different shearing of the blades. Blades were much longer and penetrated deeper with the extra velocity provided by the Talon Tip, than without. Well, naturally one CANNOT use the Talon tip in the magazine tube of a lever gun. But, one most certainly can load that first round in the chamber with a Talon Tip for that all important Shot #1. It's worth the extra effort to enhance the capabilities of the 1st shot. Of course in a bolt gun like 308 or others then tips are standard and work great.

I am so sorry, I have very little interest in .308 caliber. In fact, if it were not for these bullets, I doubt you could interest me enough to mess with it at all. And even now, my interest is starting to fade somewhat. I had to play with 308 Winchester today, only working with AA 2520, and no, I am not going to put anymore effort into 308. I have the 100 gr ESP Raptor at 3280 fps, zero issues, and nearly out of powder capacity, so that is about all I am going to do with it. I will test a couple of loads with the same powder with the 130 ESP Raptor, and that is all I am messing with it. I have better things to do than to dick around with a .308.

OK, how does the above terminal tests compare with other 30 cal bullet terminals I have done?? I did not remember either, so I looked back on my own .308 terminal test data! I found exactly only 3 entries recorded. So I have only tested 3 other bullets in .308 in my life! That should say something to you! First was a 165 Swift A Frame at 2929 fps muzzle--50 yard impact 13 inches total penetration. Then a 180 gr Woodleigh PP at 2831 fps muzzle--50 yd Impact 14 inches total penetration. Last a 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2902 fps muzzle--50 yd impact 9 inches total penetration. All done on 5/7/2007, no impact velocities taken. And NO I am not messing with testing other bullets in .308. I don't have the time, nor the interest. Maybe the 130 Raptor, and that will be it.

Which, I have to say, I have been very envious of RIP's shooting abilities of late, and some of the targets he has posted! I have also been trying my best to out shoot the RIPPER, but have just not made it quite yet--today that 308 and the 100 Raptor may have come close? I keep trying!

[/QUOTE]

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are all entitled to our own opinion, but will all due respect, that is the LAST bullet that I would use on an Alaskan Brown Bear with a 30-30!

A super-light for caliber, high velocity, semi-fragmented bullet....no way! It would be awesome for deer I would bet.

I would go the complete opposite way...the heaviest Barnes X Bullet that I could safely load in the 30-30 and never look back.

Seasons44,

Please don't be put off by my comments....as I said before, I am stating my opinion and no ill will is directed at you for yours!

Not looking for a pissing contest.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
Something tells me the OP might be trolling a little.

But,... ravenr killed a damn nice Wy moose a few years ago with his mothers 30-30 and it didn't bounce off.

Photo belongs to ravenr

Todd

A friggin moose ain't a big brown bear that might eat you alive just for pissing him off when you shoot him with that 30-30 and it doesn't take him down and out like a better choice would, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
We are all entitled to our own opinion, but will all due respect, that is the LAST bullet that I would use on an Alaskan Brown Bear with a 30-30!

A super-light for caliber, high velocity, semi-fragmented bullet....no way! It would be awesome for deer I would bet.

I would go the complete opposite way...the heaviest Barnes X Bullet that I could safely load in the 30-30 and never look back.

Seasons44,

Please don't be put off by my comments....as I said before, I am stating my opinion and no ill will is directed at you for yours!

Not looking for a pissing contest.

Nope no pissing contest, a 30/30 would not be my first choice either, but hell I am sure would want the best bullet I could find. The reason I posted the CEB is the fact it can be shot as a solid also, same POI two bullets. Also have a heavier option.
https://cuttingedgebullets.com...&key=ESP_C130_RAPTOR

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the OP has his tongue firmly in his cheek, but if not then I would use a 170 grain Partition.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that!

Expanding bullet for first shot behind the front leg and solids after that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't realize that!

Expanding bullet for first shot behind the front leg and solids after that?

Exactly! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey where are you in Jersey...I am just north of the GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Topgun,

Yup.. It would bounce off. Your word is devine and you know everything. Its a fact it would just piss it off. A 170gr AFrame from a 50 yard shot from a 30-30 would never kill a brown bear before it ate you. When I grow up, I want to know everything like you do.

Why do you care if the OP wants to hunt brown bear with a 30-30?

Todd

Why such a smartass response to something that was just one person's opinion that doesn't differ much from a number of others that are saying go up to a better choice?! If you had any reading comprehension, you would also see that the OP stated that he was open to suggestions from the peanut gallery, LOL! I guess after 60+ years of hunting I know that a 30-30 will kill just about anything if the range is short and the bullet selection is correct, but the shooter better pray that an animal like a brown bear goes the opposite way after he gets shot because it's very unlikely it will die before it could do serious damage when hit with that caliber. I absolutely love these types of threads where supposedly ethical hunters want to handicap themselves with minimal artillery for the job at hand just to apparently say they did so! Anyway, I think I have the same right to express my opinion as you do yours, even if I'm the only one of the two that's correct, LOL! Finally, I could really give a rat's ass if he wants to use a baseball bat on a brownie, as to each his own, but he did ask for suggestions! You did, however, get one thing right in your post and that is the statement "when you grow up". Maybe it's time you did, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Have you ever even authored a post or just responded in the know it all fashon of your divine facts?...

I answered my own question. I went through (waisted my time) on 25 pages of your posts and out of alllll that crap you authored ONE thread to let us know Wy draw results were availible.

Todd

Get this---Kiss my ass!!! My opinions are just as good as anyone else on this site whether you like it or not and most are based on many decades of experience. Sorry if you don't like that fact! However, normally opinions are better when backed up by knowledge gained through experience and that's basically what threads are when asking for comments like the OP did in case you aren't old enough to have figured that fact out either, LOL! By the way, your BS about the moose picture was just that---BS! I did a quote and it happened to include the picture, but there was no malice or intent such as you suggested. I also don't care to take the time to learn how to post pictures on a site that is so out of date compared to several others where just a couple clicks and I was able to share plenty of pictures of past hunts, so sue me!!
PS: Sounds like if you have time to read 25 pages of my posts just to come back with another smartass one of yours when there was no reason to start in on me in the first place is a real sign that you need to get a life!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup, definitely need a .458 Lott or bigger for moose and hope a 4,000 lb grizzly doesn't show up.

good grief man, where do y'all come up with this crap? 30-30 is more than up to the task - loaded properly - but this caveat applies to every caliber

topgun, i think you need to sit down and take a break, you're getting all worked up

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
TFF

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey where are you in Jersey...I am just north of the GWB

Just South of the Driscoll Bridge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxenergy:
yup, definitely need a .458 Lott or bigger for moose and hope a 4,000 lb grizzly doesn't show up.

good grief man, where do y'all come up with this crap? 30-30 is more than up to the task - loaded properly - but this caveat applies to every caliber

topgun, i think you need to sit down and take a break, you're getting all worked up

I'm not the one that needs to take a break! The member who's giving me shit over nothing but my opinion is the one that needs to take a long break and shut his yapper! Find a guide in AK that will allow you to take a brown bear with a 30-30 or even archery equipment without full backup with a big caliber rifle and I'll not post any more on the thread. Why do you think that there are various caliber restrictions on what can be used for dangerous game in Africa? The same thing applies for the most part on grizzly and brown bears on this continent due to the danger they represent if they aren't dispatched ASAP with the proper equipment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Find a guide in AK that will allow you to take a brown bear with a 30-30 or even archery equipment without full backup with a big caliber rifle and I'll not post any more on the thread.

uh, actually, if you show up with a 505 gibbs they will back you. in other words, irrespective of caliber, one of the guide's functions is to provide backup. how did we segue into africa and minimal calibers for dg???????????

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy who went bear hunting with a club.

There were 5 other member in the club.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The funny part is, you think my involvment with you and this thread or this thread in general is about 30-30's vs moose and bears...

rotflmo

I'm being a troll and trying to get you worked up if you haven't noticed.. I could keep going but I'm pretty sure I've exposed you for what you are and any body that matters has seen it. Most of them long ago... Like I've said before, it would sure be awesome to read about your hunts on these forums...

Todd

I think nothing of the sort and realized you're just a troll with the shit you keep posting for no reason at all. The only thing you've exposed is exactly what you stated and that's that you're a troll and trying to get under a person's skin for no reason other than some weird fun you must get out of it. So what am I other than a person that has a passion for hunting and has had since Dad got me started in 1953 seeing as you say you've exposed me for what I am, LOL?! Finally, I didn't come on this particular website to discuss my hunts, as I do that on several other sites that I've been on for a long time. However, just to make you happy I will say that last year alone I was on a sheep hunt in OR, an archery elk hunt in NV, a mulie hunt in NM, hunted antelope, mulies, and elk in Wyoming, and finished the 3 month trip with a week of pheasant hunting in ND with my Pointer that just died two weeks ago, so that final fact alone does not have me in a very happy mood right now to read all your BS!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about brown bears but there have been a lot of Maine moose shot with 30-30s...

Come to think about it, what was the hot ticket at the time grizzly bears became uncommon?
Old Ephraim was the last grizzly bear in Utah, can't remember what ended his career.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would use the 150 grain Barnes X with flat nose designed for the 30-30.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
SMK

/thread

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things. ravenr's moose was brained in his bed so the 30-30 bullet is kind of irrelevant. Joe pulled off a nice trick with that one but I don't think he would recommend a 30-30 for moose if asked. Also snellstrom mentioned a 30-40 which with a 220 grain bullet at 2100 fps would probably handle a moose and brown bear with good shooting at moderate ranges quite easily. I also realize that the point of this was to set off a debate rather than a serious discussion and that goal was accomplished nicely.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
There are a couple other litmus test in progress on another forum to test reason vs reality

Testosterone vs good sense......currently testosterone is showing it's head in Africa Hunting

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The "Mine is bigger than yours" and "I have X so obviously it is the only way to go and if you don't agree there is something wrong with you" posts get a little tedious at times.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good job Dave you should tell them what I have shoot with a .22 hornet.

Posts: 19 | Location: Peyton, co | Registered: 04 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good job Dave you have em all stirred up you should tell them what I shot with a .22 hornet.

Posts: 19 | Location: Peyton, co | Registered: 04 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's so darn expensive to hunt in Alaska that it would not make any sense to use a .30-30 for brown or grizzly bears. At least use one of the most widely used cartridges for moose and bears in Alaska, a .30-06 or .300 WM with heavy and controlled-expanding bullets as a minimum, or a .338WM with 250-grain NOS, A-Frame of the same weight, or a 225-grain TSX.

That said, if close enough moose aren't hard to kill. But sometimes you want to hit them hard to prevent them from walking toward deep water, and from a distance the .30-30 is marginal. I imagine that some of you understand what I am referring to (moose walking into deep water after the shot).

Now, keep in mind that I am not talking about the burro-size moose in the lower-48 Smiler

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a article a few years back where some gun writer did several hunts, elk, moose, bear ect. with a 30-30 and took the all.

Just can't remember what gun rag it was in

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Wasn't there a article a few years back where some gun writer did several hunts, elk, moose, bear ect. with a 30-30 and took the all.

There was a guy on a TV show who had a quest to take all North American 29 (or whatever that number is) all with a 30-30 his grandfather gave him. I couldn't tell you the name of the show.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Yes, things like that are done by hunters every now and then. For example, there is a book written about a hunter who killed several species in Africa using a bow and arrows. The book is fetching somewhere around $300.00 these days.

Then, how about this fellow?
http://howardhillarchery.com/the-legends-story.html

But to travel to Alaska to hunt moose and bears with a .30-30 would only make sense if the person has a lot of money to have the guides bringing him right up to the game hunted. I don't think that any Alaska guide is going to take that chance with a brown bear, but I don't really know.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All things being equal, including marksmanship, are you more likely to efficiently kill a moose/brown bear with a .22 Hornet or a .300 WM? I think we all know the answer.

Why turn hunting a majestic animal into a silly game?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote