Wolves Kill Alaska School Teacher
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not good.

There's gonna be a war.

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/09/...ath-of-villager.html

And this about the moose populations at Jackson Hole:

I, Jonesy, went to an outfitter and guides meeting in Jackson last night and the Game and Fish Department was there discussing season-setting proposals. There is great concern for our wildlife herds, especially in the areas north of Jackson. The moose count was only at 117 north of Jackson. Two years ago it was 403. Very few calves.
In December the calf/cow ratio for elk was 27:100. In early March it is 10:100. In such a mild winter there was NO winter kill, just predator kill, mainly wolves. The game biologists are very concerned.

The Jackson Hole Outfitters and Guides Association is sponsoring an ANTI--WOLF RALLY in the Jackson Town Square on Saturday March 20 from 9AM to 2PM. Several speakers will speak on various subjects. Please attend and be sure and sign the protest petition. The focus of the rally will be to insist the USFWS follow the law and get the wolf numbers down to 100 wolves in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. 100 wolves is what they said would consist of a recovered population and that number of 100 is what the Environmental Impact Statement used for criteria to examine impact. We now have more than 400 wolves with a resulting unacceptable impact on our game herds. I, Jonesy, made the comment last night that the criteria for this "experimental non-essential" wolf said that if wild game herds were reduced by 50% two years in a row that this would be unacceptable and the wolves could be removed. Two years ago the moose count was 403, this year the moose count was 117 in areas north of Jackson. Ten years ago there were 830 moose and 15 years ago (pre-introduction of wolves) there were 1,200. That qualifies and we need to go after them in court over that rule for introduction. The wolves have literally destroyed our moose herds. This year they are issuing 35 moose permits north of Jackson. 10 years ago they issued 450 moose permits. Figure out what that has cost the Game and Fish Dept in lost license sales and what it has cost the Jackson area in lost revenue and jobs.

Here is the Mission Statement of the ANTI-WOLF RALLY:
Our mission is to draw attention to the crisis at hand caused by the lask of state management of wolf populations in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Wildlife in this region have suffered drastic declines over the past 100 years. Some species have seen as much as a 90% decline. Safety of pets and livestock is also a concern to anyone living or recreating in the area. Wolves have and will kill and/or maim both. The heritage and economy of wildlife-oriented industries is in jeopardy of collapse if delisting doesn't happen immediately. For more info call BJ Hill 307-739-2300, Lynn Madson 307-654-1227, Jesse Rodenbough 307-543-2477

And this:

"Gray Wolf Threatens Human Life"....All American Patriot Roundtable

Last Friday (March 5, 2010), I had a meeting and conversation with
Joe Maurier, FWP Director, following an extensive hearing. I testified on
behalf of Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd regarding wolves and
hydatid disease in front of the Montana Environmental Quality Council. The
leadership of Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks was present as was the
Chairman of the Montana Fish and Game Commission. We explained to the
abbreviated session of the Montana Legislature that the fatal, wolf born
Echinococcus granulosus disease posed great and lethal public health threats
and presented our multiple Ph.D & D.V.M. source citations. We pleaded that
the Governor call in the CDC to quantify the damage, educate the public as
to the health risk, and train health care workers in all Montana hospitals
to recognize ,diagnose and treat Echinococcus granulosus. We demanded that
Mt. FWP cease in their public relations campaign to down play the situation,
because of their financial conflict of interest and potential trailing
liability issues and especially their lack of qualified public health
officials to make such reckless and unfounded assertions. Director Maurier
agreed with us in his open testimony, particularly after his Montana FWP
Veterinarian confirmed that 90 % of the introduced wolves tested in SW
Montana are carrying the disease, such disease being prevalent due to the
high densities of these wolves. He stated further that the C.D.C. should be
brought in.
In that meeting, I told Director Maurier that if the public health issue of
Echinococcus granulosus hydatid disease is not confronted directly, openly,
honestly and professionally with science instead of politics and stop the 3
year cover up of the hydatid disease and other wolf born diseases test
results, then, not only would the Montana public completely lose trust in
Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks but they would stop obeying that agency as
well. The Gray wolf has been forced on us and because of the lethal
disease they can introduce to the human population; we have a natural,
lawful right to defend ourselves, our children and grandchildren. I
concluded by advising Director Maurier that Friends of the Northern
Yellowstone Elk Herd has submitted formal, written legal notice, following
extensive consultation with multiple highly credentialed scientists.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. We all need to do what we can to stop this problem from getting worse. If we all sit on our asses and bitch among ourselves nothing will happen and that is how we got in this position to begin with.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a question from which I admit having no basis to know: for folks that live in areas such as where this woman lived, is it not the personally responsible thing to do to be armed when in the bush? perhaps had she been armed and trained in the use of the weapon she may have had a decent chance of surviving the attack.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I wish you guys and gals the best. Having seen with my own eyes the serious predation on the game populations in Gardiner, MT (north gate to Yellowstone NP) over just a few years, I hope your successful at getting the USF&W folks to do their job and stop letting the green crowd have their way.
All the best,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolf population rises in Northern Rockies

— The wolf population in the Northern Rockies rose last year, but at the slowest rate in nearly 15 years, according to a report released Thursday by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

There were a minimum of 1,706 wolves inhabiting Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and parts of Oregon and Washington state in 2009, compared to at least 1,650 wolves the year before. The number of breeding packs increased from 95 to 115.

The population estimates are included in the 2009 Interagency Annual Wolf Report, compiled by state and federal governments and Native American tribes.

The report attributed agency control, new hunting seasons in Montana and Idaho and the wolves’ territorial behavior in slowing the population growth to less than 4 percent last year, the lowest growth rate since 1995.

Until 2009, the wolf population had been on a sharp upward trend, at times increasing 30 percent in a single year.

Federal and state governments say wolves are doing fine since losing Endangered Species Act protections last year. The exception is Wyoming, where state law is considered hostile to the species’ survival and federal protections remain in force.

Environmentalists have filed a federal lawsuit to overturn the loss of protections for wolves in Montana and Idaho. They say population figures are not a good indicator of the animal’s long-term survival.

Hunters killed 72 wolves in Montana during last year, while wildlife agents killed another 145, according to the report. In Idaho, hunters killed 134 wolves and wildlife officials killed another 93. In Wyoming, wildlife agents killed 32 wolves.

There were at least 525 wolves in Montana in 2009, according to the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. The report estimates that at least 843 wolves inhabited Idaho, and 320 wolves were in Wyoming. Five wolves were counted in eastern Washington, and they numbered 14 in eastern Oregon.

Wolves killed 192 cattle across the region in 2009, down from 214 the year before, according to the report. Sheep killed by wolves rose from 355 to 721.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have a question about the wolf explosion around the Yellowstone area.
First of all wolves have been in Minnesota and Wisconsin for as long as I can remember. I do not hear a lot about a population explosion in those regions? I know they have moose and deer to prey on. I seldom hear a lot about any problems in Canada. Perhaps they exist and are not publicized. I do not live in these locals so I have no feeling one way or the other.
I certainly sympathesize with those that do.
We have a pig explosion in our neck of the woods that is about as menacing.
I do know that Yellowstone was plagued with an over population of elk and bison and this was part of an attempt to control that scenario, only the wolves left the park.
I suspect there was so much food in the Yellowstone eco system that the packs were "too healthy" and grew faster than normal.
Personally, I like hearing a wolf but I also recognize the need for some control.
Unfortunately a pack of wolves could care less if they bring down a old cow elk or a 360 class bull.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the National geographic March 2010 issue, Yellowstone and area wolves are on the front cover. Quite a story withy maps inside the issue..

Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Guys,

Wolves destroy the population of game animals astronomically:

quote:
Did you know that, on the average, each wolf kills appx. 30 deer and elk annually for food? And between six Northern Rockies and Upper Midwest states we now have between 7,000 and 8,000 wolves? That's 200,000+ deer and elk lost annually to feed a still growing national wolf pack.

Pigs don't. I know they do massive damage to land. You can hunt them all the time, as much as you want, and from helicopters. When they allow this with wolves, it'll be too late.

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Wolves Stink----it's just as simple as that! Mad

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Here is a question from which I admit having no basis to know: for folks that live in areas such as where this woman lived, is it not the personally responsible thing to do to be armed when in the bush?

Right on.
It's a character flaw among many women, who place themselves in harms way. Immediately upon Scott Peterson being put on Death Row in California, women were writing to him. There are other instances of similar things involving woman as this case here now. One I remember had to do with a woman jogging in the woods, unarmed, and alone, and a Black bear started following her, very close behind her. She stumbled out on a road and was nearly killed by an oncoming car.
What is it about certain woman that has them do this?
I assure you, knowing about how women are, that any amount of caution to this teacher before she went jogging would have gone unheeded.
One thing for sure, this teacher was irresponsible with her actions. And, she paid the ultimate price.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
quote:
Guys,

Let me respond to the issue about pigs. They do kill other animals, they are an omnivor just like a bear. They will eat anything. They destroy quail nests; they will kill a young fawn and eat it. They multiply faster than rabbits.

I do not argue your position on how destructive wolves can be only why the population explosion when they seem in check in Minnesota and Canada.
I do find it interesting that about 25 years ago while in Alaska hunting there was an article in the paper where Wolves were going to be shot from planes in a area where moose calf predation seemed very high. Later research found out that 80% of the predation was being done by Grizzlies. Nothing was done to keep the Grizzlies in check. Why? Grizzlies are worth more to the community than the moose from a cash perspective; but the moose are worth more than the wolves.
I wanted it known, my position is not to protect the wolf. If there were 3000 grizzlies in the Yellowstone eco system and they were ravaging the elk. I doubt there would be an outcry. Folks would be wanting a Grizzly tag.
Actually, I believe a wolf is a GREAT trophy! Maybe the most intelligent and cunning wild animal in North America. To take one on foot without snow machines or baits would appear to me to be a great hunting achievement.

Wolves destroy the population of game animals astronomically:

quote:
Did you know that, on the average, each wolf kills appx. 30 deer and elk annually for food? And between six Northern Rockies and Upper Midwest states we now have between 7,000 and 8,000 wolves? That's 200,000+ deer and elk lost annually to feed a still growing national wolf pack.

Pigs don't. I know they do massive damage to land. You can hunt them all the time, as much as you want, and from helicopters. When they allow this with wolves, it'll be too late.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no intention of going in the woods unarmed these days. since we have a year round coyote season I have a legal reason to have a rifle in my hands.

I was caught unarmed by coyotes a few years ago scouting for deer and I could hear the pack following me. It was the single most hairraising experience for me. I think the response came from our dark shared past as people. Still gives me the willies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr, I live in an area of Mn. which has a very strong wolf population. ALthough I can't say for sure how fast the population is growing, the most troubling thing is how they have seemingly lost most of their fear of man. We live on 40 acres and each year have multiple deer kills that continue to get closer to the house, last year one was with 100 ft.
We used to rarely see them in daylight hours but now it's fairly common to have them go through our yard, and/or down out driveway, which almost was never the case in the past it seems. I can't remember the last deer season either I or kids haven't seen one while on the deer stand. Also dogs get chowed around here often enough that one really needs to pay attention.

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Don't blame the animals for doing what animals do...the are just trying to make a living...the same as you and me.

The aminals were here long before humans arrived on the scene, but since humans got on the scene we have been wiping out the flora and fauna at a rate far beyond what Mother Nature did except during the few extinction periods over history.

We humans are nothing more than prey species to the large carnivores and we have been taught from the cradle to disrespect Nature...that is OUR faults...the average person doesn't know squat about the wild and gets their information from the movies and other media...don't blame animals for humans being mindless.

Humans look at everything in terms of economic benefit or loss. Wolf eats cow=cow equals X dollars=Wolf is "bad" for pocket book...KILL WOLF...keep getting fat on beef...in the pocket book and around the middle.

HUMANS stink...PERIOD

The human world population is reaching critical mass yet you STUPID people keep breeding without any kind of useful controls...we are pretty much the only species that will doesn't have some kind of natural predictor that keeps the population in check.

I've seen massive winter die offs of deer, elk, antelopes in Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Montana...dead animals stacked like cordwood along highways...yet the farmers and ranchers woudln't let anyone hunt their land and the Fish and Game people couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it...it has been proven time and time again that a healthy preditor population makes for a healthier deer/elk/moose population, yet very few if any humans that run herds want to believe that...the just want more and more, relatively free land to fatten their animals on...again...ecomonic incentives and nothing more.

Yes...Wolves will take cattle and sheep...there not stupid...you ranchers make it easy...so will ANY large carnivore. Some of the problems lie in living marginally, on marginal land, and marginal means where the loss of a few head means the difference of staying or leaving.

Don't blame the animals for YOUR choice.

Don't blame the animals for HUMAN STUPIDITY. If you act like a prey animal you will SURE become one...it doesn't matter if it's in the wilds of Montana or the wilds of a city or town. Step into the wrong bar, no matter WHERE you go and you're in for trouble.

The problem is, it's way to easy to blame "the other thing" whether it be animal, Mother Nature, or human.

Perception of what is actualy the problem. Wipe out 7 out of 10 humans and the world would get back on a more even keel.

Until we take care of our own population problem all that will happen is all the other problems you read about or hear about daily will just get bigger and cause more problems.

We may be able to go to the Moon and Mars and to send probes outside of our Solar system, but we are ignorant beyond belief on how to solve just one big on here on earth...OVER POPULATION...and until we do there isn't much hope for the future.

Coyotes and hawks eat tons of mice, rats, voles, chucks etc which eat even more tons of grass that the ranchers want for their herds...yet every rancher I know will shoot a coyote on sight and many of the younger generations grew up shooting hawks. When the rodent population goes nuts and the rodents eat everything is sight then the ranchers scream to the Gov to "do something about the rodent problem" on the one hand and then bad mouth any government person that they see...if they would stop killing the best rodent controls around then they wouldn't have to stick their hands out.

The same goes for the Wolf/deer "problem". Let the Wolves do their jobs and there would be less deer and MORE graze for the stock.

Everytime I read about someone getting ate by a preditor, the humans jump up and start sceaming and the biggest screamers are those that choose to live on the edge of the wild and keep pushing into the animals homes.

You come and start squatting on my doorstep and party hardy, play your loud music and want me to feed you and I would shoot you in a New York second...so would everyone of you...no different than what the large preditors do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm truly amazed at the replies to this topic.

I know Liberals are allowed to own firearms, hunt, shoot and post here as well but for heaven's sake!

It's the woman's fault for being attacked and eaten? That's akin to saying victims of violent crime in our society are at fault, not the perpetrator!

And the Anti-Human rants of FOOBAR! Geez! Humans are just as much a part of nature as any other living thing here on earth; we can't be separated from it! I guess Dr. Kavorkian is your idol!

Keep this attitude and you might as well kiss big game hunting goodbye...and this means very soon. Your kids will ask you what it was like to see deer and elk when folks were allowed to hunt.

quote:

In 1995-1996, when the first wolves were reintroduced back into the Yellowstone ecosystem, the park's elk herd was at an all-time high, at 19,000. From the original 31 wolves released during that two-year period, the guesstimated number of wolves there now is between 450 to 500. Since the release of those wolves, elk number have dropped to around 6,000.
Prior to the release and expanded range of the wolf in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, the survival rate of calf elk was typically around 30 to 40 percent, which is needed to sustain a healthy, and huntable, elk herd. Due to severe wolf depredation, in most areas the percentage of calves surviving the first year of life has now dropped to less than 15 percent - not enough to sustain an elk herd, whether it is hunted or not.

Before wolves were released back into the Northern Rockies, healthy elk herds averaged four years of age...now, due to the severe loss of calf recruitment, herds throughout much of a fast expanding wolf range average eight years of age. And our elk herds are now headed for precipitous crash. As bad as the elk loss has been already, these geriatric herds are about to hit the wall.

Due largely to the negative impact wolves have had on big game populations, in much of western Montana and northern Idaho, last year both elk and deer harvests were close to 50% below the past five year average - and hunting opportunities are now (2010) being severely curtailed by state game departments. Wolves are already replacing the hunter's role in wildlife management.

No one within the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service...Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks...or the Idaho Department of Fish and Game possess the knowledge, nor has access to the technology to accurately assess the number of wolves in these two states. These three agencies claim that there are now just 1,700 wolves in the Northern Rockies. The tremendous loss of elk, deer, moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats indicate a much higher number. And several leading wolf researchers have claimed that the number is most likely twice that claimed - and it is now taking in the neighborhood of 100,000 big game animals (in these two states alone) to keep that many wolves fed. The wolves in the Upper Midwest are also consuming a like number of deer and other big game. Likewise, it is now known that wolves kill about as much game just for the pleasure of killing, meaning that in all, we are now losing somewhere in the neighborhood of 400,000 big game animals in this country every year - TO WOLVES! And wolf numbers are increasing by 20 plus percent annually.

The wildlife agencies in Idaho and Montana have put a great deal of emphasis on programs supporting "non consumptive" outdoor sports in recent years, more and more ignoring the needs of the hunter and fisherman. Still, these agencies are using monies provided by these "consumptive" sportsmen to fund expanded opportunities for bird watchers...hikers...and campers - who purchase no permits at all.

As wolf numbers continue to increase in the northern tier of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, deer numbers are now beginning to nose dive. So is hunter success. The past couple of seasons, the percentage of successful hunters has dropped 40 to 60 percent in what "used to be" some of the best northernmost deer hunting counties. Across northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, and northern Michigan, there are now more than 5,000 wolves - without any management hunts whatsoever. Likewise, moose numbers are dropping quickly...and elk herds that took millions of sportsman provided dollars to reintroduce are waning quickly, again mostly due to the lack of adequate calf recruitment (thanks to wolf depredation).

The goal of the USFWS "Wolf Recovery Project" is to reintroduce the gray wolf back into all of its historic home range - which means that USFWS will need a ready supply of wolves to put them back into wildlife rich areas such as Colorado, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Tennessee, Maine, Missouri, Virginia ...and just about every other state. This agency, flying under the cover of adhering to the requirements of the Endangered Species Act, is ready and willing to sacrifice the wildlife in the states now being severely impacted by wolf depredation in order to have the wolves needed for those transplants across the U.S.

Our Department of the Interior and Department of Justice now cater far more to the whims of the anti-hunting organizations and groups (i.e. Defenders of Wildlife, Sierra Club, Humane Society of the United States) than to those who have footed the bill for the vast majority of true wildlife conservation in this country - The American Sportsmen.

It's time for a serious WAKE UP CALL for the shooting and hunting industry. Without a strong unified stand against federal government wildlife agencies, and a U.S. District Court system, which now support the agenda of environmental fanatics who are dead set to eliminate hunting - this industry is doomed. Without the game, there's no hunting. Without any need for hunters to manage wildlife populations, these same enemies will push even stronger to take away our right to bear arms. There's a hell of a lot more at stake here than reintroducing wolves. - Toby Bridges

You guys sound like good choices for Obama administration appointments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said, FOOBAR.

I've always thought it funny how some people view a wolf as satan himself, while millions of other north americans somehow manage to survive with them and other large predators around.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foobar, you are not politically correct however your logic is sound (IMHO).
If the wolves are overpopulating, it is due to the food source available. We as hunters like all the prey to pick from.
I do share the concerns of those who feel uneasy with the wolves loosing there fear of man. Especially for young children and toddlers.
People continue in their stupid ways. I was in the Tetons above Jenny lake a 5 years ago and two ladies had very young kids with them and approached a 300Lb grizzly snapping pictures. I am not kidding; they got within 50 ft. I spoke loudly that I would see their remains on the evening news. They look at me in disbelief and kept taking pics.
As the wildlife population balances, I suspect the wolves will as well. There may not be enough prey for the both of us seeing as the balance of nature worked pretty well before we arrived here.
I suspect if we are going to share the forest with the wolves, we will have to keep them in check. I would hate to see all of them go.

BTW; I enjoy wildlife photography as well as hunting. My most cherished shot is from Yellowstone where a Grizzly is perched on a winter kill buffalo (in early May) and a lone wolf is staring him in the eye. I watched that wolf pester that bear for an hour trying to get him to leave that carcass. Getting a wolf and a griz in the same frame was a dream come true!

EZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Don Peay, founder of the conservation group known as Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, "For the last twenty years, SFW along with our Division of Wildlife Resources partners have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into habitat and wildlife transplant restoration efforts...along with aggressive predator management. Utah, in the absence of wolves, has seen populations of deer increase by 50%...elk by 500%...moose 500%...bighorn sheep and mountain goats and bison by 500% as well. Most people now recognize Utah as a western states big game paradise."

Peay compares this to how things are going in a very contrasting opposite direction in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, where wolves are now destroying elk and deer herds. He says if not managed aggressively, within five more years, wolves will destroy the once wildlife rich Northern Rockies. And that sportsmen need to heed the S.O.S. that's now going out - and to demand Congress change the Endangered Species Act, which has been hijacked from its original intent by self serving environmental and animal rights groups.

"As a kid, we used to go to Yellowstone to see different wildlife. Today, because of this ecological disaster, you can find more wildlife in the Salt Lake Valley, that has over 1-million people, than you can find in Yellowstone. And that is a very sad commentary," adds Don Peay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here's a typical loss of livestock to wolves. This cow was pulled down by wolves, eaten on while still alive, and left to die an agonizing death. It was still alive, barely, when this photo was taken.

This photo, taken by Idaho hunter Robert Millage, is a scene that has become all too familiar - a sport kill by wolves, with very little eaten, and the elk left to rot. Animal rights groups are very careful not to show this side of "their" wolves

quote:
Since the release of those first 14 Canadian gray wolves in Yellowstone in January 1995, the elk herd in the park and surrounding area has been in steady decline. From 19,000 in 1995-96...to 11,969 in 2002...to just 6,800 in the spring of 2009. Likewise, due to what is now near "0" calf recruitment, the average age of those elk has gone from about 4 years of age (2001-2002) to 8 years of age (2009).

From the original 31 wolves "reintroduced" (more like dumped) into the "Yellowstone Ecosystem" in '95-'96, their population grew to 273 by 2002, and in the summer/early fall of 2008 there were an estimated 450+ wolves inhabiting an area about three times the size of our smallest state - Rhode Island. And inside this country's "Great Natural Wonder", elk, deer and other wildlife are now becoming ever scarcer. Everything is being sacrificed to satisfy the whims of those who have a total misunderstanding of the wolf's role in nature - a predator that feeds upon every other living thing.

"Save An Elk Herd - Kill A Wolf!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia,
I don't think FOOBAR was necessarily saying it was the woman's fault, BUT perhaps you can see the contributive negligence on her part by being ALONE and UNARMED while RUNNING where wolves were known to be. In other words, place herself potentially in harm's way and then behave in such a way that could easily trip the predatory response in a wolf.

And she still ran unarmed and alone. That is kina asking for it in my view. It does not appear the wolves did anything other than what they do. I believe this to be a case of higher animal failed intelligence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Probably the main reason we (hunters) have a problem with wolves is we compete for the same thing. Only our opponent has a 12 month season and are probably better at what they do than we are.
Most of us (I included) would like a animal in the waning years of its life (big and mature) with a big rack if of deer species. So does the wolf because more than likely that will be the animal most run down buy the rut and vulnerable and weak through the winter.
The guiding business hurts because the fewer animals and especially the large old specimens they can guide their client too.
I do think we can co habitat the same area if there are reasonable limits to the wolf population.
In essence, we have replaced the wolf in the lower 48 as the predator to large game. Interest in hunting has exploded in the last 20 years and we practically manage our game to the benefits of all, especially the state governments that reap significant income off our passion.
Is there enough prey to go around for all of us?

Look at Africa; there is reportedly 3,000,000 leopards in sub saharan Africa. I know that is a big area but they eat allot of plains game. They have a pretty good checks and balances over there with hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And she still ran unarmed and alone. That is kina asking for it in my view.

"Yes officer, I raped her! She was dressed so provocotively ya know, tight blouse, short dress and all that make-up. She was asking for it"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
didn't say she was, i said she kinda was. and bad example; rape is a crime of violence committed by one human against another. the case here is a predatory attack. not even remotely similar.

let me ask you: with a known wolf population in the vicinity was she not putting herself needlessly in harm's way by running alone, unarmed way out there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the pro-wolf crowd doesn't take into consideration it the effect the wolves have on man.

I bowhunt elk in the Gila region of New Mexico. On my last hunt, I encountered structures on the side of the main paved road where dirt roads intersected. They looked like chicken coops or some kind of a security gaurd building. I had no idea they were to protect kids waiting for the bus to school!

Shelter for school children built at school bus stop on rural road in Cantron County.
Shelter was built after wolves were observed stalking children walking on rural roads

Now I see why:

Wolves Kill deer within yards of school bus stop in Idaho

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when any animal is protected to the detriment
of other populations and to the overall health of the ecosystem,it should be delt with by any means necessary to bring there #s down to what the habitat will support.good sound science!

the yellowstone ecosystem is an ISLAND of habitat,and cannot be compared with canada or alaska.
when predators eat the prey base down in these remote and unpopulated(by humans) areas they move on to the next drainage or mountain range.
allowing the impacted areas to repopulate
and therefore limiting the impact.

humans are the A-pex predator in this world and the same protections and foresight that has
replentished the game in our united states
apply to all populations of all animals.
we as humans are not going away any time soon and it is up to us to manage these islands,against disease,over population,over hunting...

we are the only animal in control of our and every other animals continued exsistance.
you are fooling yourself to think otherwise.
humans stink?
"you" stupid people keep breeding??
wipe out 7 out of 10 humans???

you sir are a f*%king idiot and maybe if we started with your family you would sing a different tune.

we here at least in the western states that are directly impacted by run-away populations, see it day in and day out,and its not the rancher that we are concerned about
it the wildlife,
i could care less if a wolf pack eats an elk,key word here is "eats"
but i have trailed a pack of 5 wolves 2 miles thru the snow to find 6 dead cow elk that have less than 15lbs of flesh consumed collectivly off all 6 animals.

the numbers of wolves present in these states should not have had as big an impact as they have had, and in 15 yrs are responsible for reducing the jackson moose population from 1200 to 117,are responsible for reducing the northern elk herd from 19,000 to less than 6,000.the collaspe of ungulate populations in idaho.

we have heard the bullshit about the "other"
influences, lions, black and grizzly bears and drought all being the reason.
yet we had drought and lions and black bears and grizzly bears long before the wolf came along.

reality is the bears feed on elk calves for 3 weeks to a month each year and after that the calves are fast enough to out run any bear
and strong enough to travel with the herd.
no longer being left behind,hid out in the sage brush while mom feeds the day away to recover
from the rigers of winter and birth.
and a BIG grizz will "eat" 1 maybe 2 calves a day,then he's full and goes and sleeps it off.
i have seen this with my own eyes

i have also seen with my own eyes 2 adult and 3 yearling wolves kill 19 calf elk in 25 minutes
now who is the villian here?

the balance that will provide for the elk,moose
black bear,grizzly bear,human and all the rest of the species present in the habitat is whats
important here,hell we're missing 60 million buffalo and i know there is no where near 60 million cattle in the mix.

these same other blaimed predators are at risk also,
what happens when the collasped elk population cause the recovering grizzly populations to collaspe.
you gonna blame humans again?

this balance is fragile and yet well understood
it is known what effects this run-away predator is having and being ignored and excused,why?

because the dollar sign$ are showing up in the the eyes of conservation groups that claim to
be the responsible party protecting the enviroment cause the bad people are ruining it

save a wolf and adopt a wolf programs generate millions$$ from people who are spoon fed the bullshit about the terrible ranchers and awful people who hunt.

truth of the matter is these same terrible ranchers are the ones who are protecting habitat,

you can't grow a cow in a subdivision

and you can't grow grass on a sidewalk.

and these bad people who hunt are the ones who paid for the bulk of the conservation efforts that brought many threathened species back from the brink.

so while you may know something about reloading
(yea, i looked at some of you other posts,just to see if you are stupid all the time or just when you don't know what you're talking about)
you are talking alot of smack!and it aint gonna fly. not today or any other day.not here....

i live in the impacted area and don't touch sidewalks or asphalt for 150+ days a year,
and have for the duration of the wolf being brought back and over protected.
so don't try to blow any smoke up my ass.
been there,done that,seen it with my own eyes!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a question from which I admit having no basis to know: for folks that live in areas such as where this woman lived, is it not the personally responsible thing to do to be armed when in the bush? perhaps had she been armed and trained in the use of the weapon she may have had a decent chance of surviving the attack.

If you read old posts, many posters will tell you Wolves have not and will not attack man. Period. Maybe a lion, bear or coyote, but a wolf will never attack man.

If that was my daughter, I would move to Alaska and start jogging that trail. No more wolf problem.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys,

I have a question about the wolf explosion around the Yellowstone area.
First of all wolves have been in Minnesota and Wisconsin for as long as I can remember. I do not hear a lot about a population explosion in those regions? I know they have moose and deer to prey on. I seldom hear a lot about any problems in Canada. Perhaps they exist and are not publicized. I do not live in these locals so I have no feeling one way or the other.
I certainly sympathesize with those that do.

Minnesota is very different than the Northern Rockies. With a hot humid climate, MN has a raging Heartworm problem in dogs. Call any good vet. This damages the heart and lungs leading to death if not stopped. I'm guessing many wolves succumb to this and are never found.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another article from freerepublic.

Candice Berner, 32, Killed by Wolf Pack. Wolves Being Hunted
Associated Content ^ | Mar. 12-2010 | Sherry Tomfeld

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 3:46:32 PM by stillafreemind

It's been reported that many wolf tracks were around the body of Candice Berner. At least 2 wolves and as many as 4. Bob Berner, father of Candice, said the troopers told him that there appeared to be a struggle that lasted approx. 150 ft. before Berner went down. There were also signs that she was still alive as the wolf pack dragged her along. The wolves went for her throat, as many predators do, she did not die instantly.

(Excerpt) Read more at associatedcontent.com

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no propblems living with wolves bears ect. I live among them every day.

What I do have a problem with is the powers to be giving them way to much protection to the detriment of humans living among them.

There is a reason why are forefathers killed them any chance they had. Large preators are a danger to those to live among them unless the overly aggressive ones are controled. Then the rest learn a healthy respect for man.

It would have been much better if the women involved would have been armed with a proper weapon and killed as many as should could have.

The green weenies are having a harder and harder time defending their stuiped opinons.

That bears, wolves ,lions and things are just friendly furry forest creature doing what freindly furry forest creatures do.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel bad for the family of this woman who was killed. It is a tragedy.

I don't like to comment on the wolf issue as a general rule, but I will try to add something to the "conversation."

I"ll start by stating this, the wolves are not the problem. The problem is there are currently too many wolves. They need to be managed. Be sure and re-read that.

This may mean there will also be less elk, deer, and moose than existed 10 years ago. Hunters may not think this is a good idea, but we are only part of the equation.

"when any animal is protected to the detriment
of other populations and to the overall health of the ecosystem,it should be delt with by any means necessary to bring there #s down to what the habitat will support.good sound science!"-- ravenr wrote this above. This is what I'm talking about.

Elk numbers were at historical highs a few years ago, some would argue unnaturally, potentially damaging to the ecosystem type numbers of elk. That person is not me. I repeat not me. I don't know the carrying capacity for elk in the northern rockies. I do know Lewis and Clark were damn glad they got extra horses before they went over Lolo pass into what is now Idaho, they would have starved for lack of game. Probably less elk in the remote northern rockies in 1805 than in 2005.

I know the politically correct (on hunting forums) thing to do is be anti wolf. I am not. We need to come up with the balance. What's good for the ecosystem. That may mean killing a shit load of wolves in the short term, and then try to maintain that lower sustainable level over that long haul. You know game management.

Hunting my be harder in these areas but I think historically it was harder to hunt in these areas.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Foobar you are indeed a hypocrite. If you believe man is the problem then the natural solution is to remove yourself as a fraction of the problem. If it helps, I'd recommend a small caliber handgun to the temple or if dramatic is deemed more sporting, a tall building to leap from.

In my opinion the biggest mistake the young lady made was in using the ipod music thing which of course muted the wolves approach. Whether or not a 4'11" woman could have fought off or warded off an attack made by two or more 100#+ wolves is unknown, I am skeptical at this time.

Two years ago I made a report about a moose hunting trip I made here in Dillingham that was in part un successful because of a close encounter with three wolves hunting my friend and I. My impression from that encounter was that they move fast and are focused, nor are they easily dissuaded.

The young lady was at fault only from a personal responsibility perspective in that she was ultimately responsible for her own safety. Dress for the weather. Eat properly. Don't smoke cigarettes. While outdoors in big predator country be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to defend ones self.

As is the only reasonable solution, someone will in all likelyhood hunt down and kill all wolves in the immediate area. Hopefully a resurgence in the interest in self preservation will take hold regionally.

To the topic of who was here first, who deserves to be here and whatever, Please allow me to make the point bluntly.

I am here now. I have worked very hard in adverse conditions to purchase and continue to possess the real estate I am currently seated upon. I will oppose without remorse any bear or wolf or environmentalist or non resident or terrorist or internet bully that attempts to damage the well being of my person or property. I care nothing for the rights or wrongs of the current or past issues, I don't give a fuck what the wolf or residents of Indiana think about my circumstances. This is mine I have taken it, I am here. I don't care what you do as long as it has no influence on mine.

Posts: 9225 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The same goes for the Wolf/deer "problem". Let the Wolves do their jobs and there would be less deer and MORE graze for the stock.

Deer are browsers not grazers. Very little if any competition for livestock. Elk, different story, more of a grazer, and the wolf is taking care of that in Wyoming. Some areas are devoid of elk.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not good at all. I bet that was not fun to find.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The woman, as I understand was only there for a few days at most when this happened. There are no wolves in Pa that would have prepared her for what happened. She probably was unsuspecting, unthinking like most of our younger people these days. "innocent" for lack of a better term. The same "innocent" people get killed every day by many different things in many different ways....because they are oblivious to the dangers of the world that so many of us older and wiser people steer clear of. She was another statistic of innocence...it just so happen that the theives that stole her young life away were not "guys from the hood" but a predator of a different kind. The kind she never suspected. May this young woman rest in peace.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
This girl was from Slippery Rock, PA. For those of you who know nothing about this area, let me explain something. Slippery Rock is in NW PA smack in the middle of farm, coal mining and dead steel country. I went to a rodeo just outside town and saw a bevy of the cutest young women I've seen any where. One of the girls had a broken arm from riding a bull and all had tins of Copenhagen in their hip pockets. Most women around there can kick most men's asses from anywhere else... and would do so if you interrupted them during a Steeler game or knocked over their Iron City beer. Point: This girl was not a perfumed princess. If she was in Alaska she was there to revel in the experience of being IN ALASKA. I'd bet if she could be brought back, she'd be the first to kick her own ass for not being prepared. Sad thing is this scene reminds me of cougars in California. "Green" people have a very difficult time understanding that there are creatures who do not entirely agree with our understanding of the food chain. I guess it's the Green Plague.

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever notice that the only people that defend the wolves are people who don't live around them and never see the effect and consequences of having them around.
The wolf does have a limited place in nature. The problem is that the wolf was stuffed down our throats against the will of the vast majority of the residents of the people of MT, WY, and ID. We have always had a few wolves in MT the problem didn't start until the feds started transplanting and protecting them.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
who are you referring to in your post ravenr?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
foobar

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetdog2084:
Did you ever notice that the only people that defend the wolves are people who don't live around them and never see the effect and consequences of having them around.
The wolf does have a limited place in nature. The problem is that the wolf was stuffed down our throats against the will of the vast majority of the residents of the people of MT, WY, and ID. We have always had a few wolves in MT the problem didn't start until the feds started transplanting and protecting them.
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, thanks ravenr.