Tools

Wolves Kill Alaska School Teacher
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to nominate Scott King for president

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And ravenr for his running mate!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What most don't understand is that canines and cats DO kill for fun even when they are not hungry. We do not have wolves here but all one needs to do is watch well fed pets run down and kill deer or the family cat stalk and kill birds and rabbits. I tracked and killed a house cat that had killed 5 hen pheasants in the short distance I spent on the tracks.
A fox got in our chicken coop and killed 17 before I could get there.
When you make it too easy for them, they get worse unlike those that have to hunt hard to survive.
Man HAS upset the balance and is responsible to keep it in check now.
If you want to blame those most responsible for the upset, blame the government and the tree hugger's. The anti fur nuts have caused the spread of more vermin and disease then ever existed in this country. When a fox would bring $90 it was easy for a good trapper to catch 100 fox a week but now with no market, most fox I see are full of mange or rabies, same with coons.
Look at the east where deer and bear run rampant in cities and towns. Some towns are allowing archery hunting in yards to thin them and police are shooting them at night. As bad as the "pig bomb". Yet the bears in people's yards in some states are caught and moved, you are not allowed to kill them.
The huge growth in urban areas is to blame along with the restrictions on hunting that go hand in hand with it. The worst of it is that farms surrounding these areas will not allow hunting so there is a huge spill over. Then there are parks all over that are over run and you don't dare hunt them unless you want to go to jail.
When a friend moved to VA he stopped at over 200 farms asking to hunt, all he got was cussed at. Now they are crying about crop damage and auto accidents yet still turn hunters away.
Yes man is at fault but it is the heavy hand of the liberals and the government that causes the worst upset.
The days when every kid had a gun and knew how to use it, even take it to school so he could hunt on the way home are long gone.
Yes, I think over population is here to stay and I would like buy a liberal and congressman license to do my part. Can't eat them though, they are so full of manure!
Now I am waiting for the government to release wolves in the cities. Every single thing they touch causes wild swings, in animals, the economy, jobs, etc and now they want to stuff health care down our throats. They worry more about some bird eating a piece of bullet.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetdog2084:
The wolf does have a limited place in nature. The problem is that the wolf was stuffed down our throats against the will of the vast majority of the residents of the people of MT, WY, and ID. We have always had a few wolves in MT the problem didn't start until the feds started transplanting and protecting them.

wetdog2084 I agree with you on this one. Wolves do have a limited place in nature and we as humans have to recognize there roll in each different ecosystem and then manage them accordingly. Let us not fool ourselves that we should manage the wolves in the northern rockies the same as in Alaska, and the same as MN, WI and MI. Each area has unique ecosystems and should be managed explicitly for that ecosystem. I don't know why this is so hard for the world to accept but each state should set a population goal number. Over that number open up hunting, below that number close it down. We do it for every other fish and game animal why are wolves so different?

I also agree with handwerk that here where we live in MN the wolves have crossed that balance point as well. How hard would it be to have a wolf season concurrent with our deer season. Set up a population number for each deer hunting zone and give out the appropriate number of tags. I don't know any deer hunter who wouldn't want to take a wolf if given a chance.

As for Alaska in general and where Candice Berner the school teacher was killed...

First off give her the respect she deserves. Her name was Candice Berner and she died a horrible, unexpected, tragic, and painful death. She was someone's daughter, sister, cousin and best friend. Could she have been better self protected, yes. But she wasn't and is now gone forever. People will miss her for the rest of their lives. We would never blame someone who gets hit by a drunk driver while walking home even thou they could not walk home and be safer. Enough said.

Candice may you rest in peace.

Personally I have never been to Chignik but have spent lots of time all over other parts of AK. They have a serious wolf problem right now. To the point where people down here in the lower 48 just don't understand. We are talking about thousands and thousands and thousands of wolves. It is not the same problem that they have in the rockies or in the upper midwest. If AKFG deems it necessary to shoot wolves from planes and helicopters than everyone down here (green earth tree hugger or brown earth resource hog) should shut up and let them.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote