New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Elk and Mule Deer
 Login/Join

posted
Hello All,
I don't often post, but I enjoy this forum very much. I just returned from a hunt in southwest Montana with Centenial Outfitters, great outfit, my guide was first rate. I managed to take a decent mule deer and an elk.
Elk was at 254yds 1 shot through the heart. Mulie was at 300, same result. 300 Wn Mag with 165 gr Barnes TSX over 71.5 gr of RE-22.
My buddie who was with me had the unfortunate experience in that his rifle would not fire. It was a newer TC Venture, and would hit the primer hard enough to dent the primer, but not hard enough to detonate the cartridge. I disassembled the bolt, thinking that maybe excessive grease or oil had gotten thick in the cold, but that didn't seem to be the case. Any thought?

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hopefully he got a loaner rifle and was successful. My guess would be he needs a heavier firing pin and spring. I had the same issue with a brand new Rem XCR II and that fixed it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
primers not fully seated.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Shoulder set back on reloading?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Factory loads of hand loads? Pictures of the primers would help.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two real options, try to fix it, or send it back to TC and let them mess with it.

Since the season is over, I'd send it back. They still have a pretty good rep for warranty work.

I also hope that didn't ruin his hunt and he got a loaner. Good to hear you had a solid hunt.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The ammo was hornaday factory, and yes it ruined his hunt. The first day he was on a bull at 200 yes, click!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like he has 2 phone calls to make.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your deer and elk.

As for your buddie - Did he put several boxes of that same ammo through that rifle prior to the hunt or was the hunt the first attempt using that ammo?

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obvious question: does it happen with different ammo.

Ever had Kepner-Tregoe training?
-When did we first observe the problem?
-where do we see it and not see it?
-etc.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he should have done a bit more testing before going hunting..Thats a given or should be. Discover those problems before hunting...

But, stull like that happens to about everyone over their lifetime..no big deal, just mark it down as a good lesson..If every hunting trip was perfect without problems, Id probably taken up hopscotch and marbles..those screw up make a hunt interesting and bring back a lot of good memories, its not always about killing and animal, that's just the goal not the total of a hunt. That said, it usually takes a day or so to get over it..Wounding is the unforgiving screw up, that's about it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a new TC, surely it was sighted in before heading to the field. If so, what changed or happened? Was the rifle taken apart or cleaned?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote