Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card scam for booking hunts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Every month or two I’ve been getting people claiming to be from overseas contacting me by email trying to book hunts and pay in full in advance by credit card.

I politely inform them that we don’t take credit cards and they usually reply mentioning how their group wants many days of hunting with all the bells and whistles but that they will be paying by credit card.

I’ll respond again that we don’t deal with credit cards and I never hear from them again. None of these emails have been from the same email address or person but their method is so similar there must be a connection. There are never questions about the hunt, game, equipment, lodging, licensing, etc. only about payment. It’s obviously a scam but a surprisingly specific one.

Are any of you other outfitters or booking agents experiencing this?

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've had a few similar calls at our studio. They are all the same: they want to overpay for a certain service and have you immediately wire them the refund/overpayment. I usually hang up pretty quickly.

Anyone falling for this would accept the payment, send the money -- and then in a few weeks find out the credit card was bogus.

I did have fun with one of them a while back, though. I said "hang on, I am busy but will get my brother. It's his day off from the police force, and he's helping me out today." I heard silence and then a dial tone rather quickly... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9356 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Yes, I get it often.

I do not bother with a reply.

There is a new twist that I just got today. Same lines, only they don't ask to pay with a cc. I think they want to start the communication.

Here is the e-mail I received today. You can tell it is a fake.

My name is Brant Cole, I am expecting some Business partners who are coming into USA for holiday from on the 22nd - of september to 4th of october,and they need Day hunting place for 3 days,They will like to go hunting for 3 days, I will want to know if you have any avaliability at that period?. They will also need a HUNTING LICENSE for 3 days. I will like to know your total cost for the 3days.

I will be waiting to read from you.

Regards.

Brant

It is easy to spot. the only difference is no request to pay with a credit card. They get a little smarter each time.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds just like another version of the Nigerian scam. We get enquiries all the time, asking about horse we have for sale. the tip off is " please reply with your price and condition of the merchandise." I have e mailed back a couple of times, He died yesterday. do you still want the merchandise? Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the one about the police brother. Although I am not a guide or outfitter I usually say hang on and let me get the wifey. She pays the bills then I just lay the phone down for a while. They usually get the hint!

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
I'm glad to hear it's not just me.
It's the "Brant Cole" variation of this email I got today that made me make this post.

...But it doesn't matter because I just found out I won't have to work much longer. Another email I just got let me know that apparently some deceased Asian royalty has named me as their last heir. So as soon as I give them my bank information I can retire. jumping
I just hope they don't need any picture ID because there aren't too many blond 6'4" German looking Asians. Smiler

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think of the one I received? Is this some kind of scam?

You are picked for this email because your good business senses. My cusin is king of Tanzania government. I have great opportunity for short term business deel in Tanzania to give you three weeks harvesting the most preshus natural resourse. The entire product harvested can be legally exported back to your home kuntry where it holds a much higher value than Tanzania.

This is one time speshal deel for you olny. Pleese send you kredit card number to show your sereeousness.

Anchshusly wanting your respons

Wendell Reich

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Lhook7,

YES, it's DEFINATELY a scam! I received the exact same email last week. So, I replied with the question, "Is this for real?" They ASSURED me it was. So I can only conclude that yours must be a fake, because mine is real.

I can hardly wait to go, so much to do, passport, shots, which guns to bring...Oh boy!

rotflmo

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALL E-mails and phone offers should be concidered SCAMS!!! If it's too good to be true, it's a SCAM!!!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
That's the interesting thing about running a hunting business off of a website (or probably any business for that matter). I get some REALLY weird emails from people who end up being fine clients. Some of them are just not great typists or cut their emails so short that they come off as quite odd.
Other than the payment part of those scam emails, I've received many quite similar to them from people who end up being legitimate hunting clients. Just because an email is hard to read or mildly nonsensical doesn't always mean it's a scam.

Kyler

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
You guys may actually be turning down legitimate business. Sure there are some scams out there, but why not present your terms like a deposit with a US Postal money order or payment by Paypal. Once you have the money in hand, then it can be considered legit.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
bowhuntrrl,
That's my point. With this recent rash of emails the guys always go away after I "present terms" as you put it.
I'll usually answer most any hunting related email unless it seems rediculous or fits a common scam profile. I even answer the ones who request something illegal just to let them know where I stand.
These credit card scam emails are no more frustrating than the guys who always want the first hunt at a cut rate because they're going to bring "lots of their buddies in the next couple years". Those guys are legitimate hunters they're just cheap weasels and it's funny how they are completely offended when you offer to give them a cut rate hunt AFTER or concurrent to the "lots of buddies" hunt.

Kyler

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
bowhntrrl wrote:
quote:
You guys may actually be turning down legitimate business. Sure there are some scams out there, but why not present your terms like a deposit with a US Postal money order or payment by Paypal. Once you have the money in hand, then it can be considered legit.

The "scammers" will never go for that. If they did, I guess they wouldn't be "scammers" anymore... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9356 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

You are picked for this email because your good business senses. My cusin is king of Tanzania government. I have great opportunity for short term business deel in Tanzania to give you three weeks harvesting the most preshus natural resourse. The entire product harvested can be legally exported back to your home kuntry where it holds a much higher value than Tanzania.

This is one time speshal deel for you olny. Pleese send you kredit card number to show your sereeousness.

Wendell Reich

I sent that to you in confidentiality. Now everyone will want "to be harvesting the most preshus natural resourse"!

I would expect a gun thief like yourself to understand this!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Wendell Reich

Very nice! I'm beginning to wonder if the guy I had lunch with in TX was really Wendell? I've seen photos of Wendell from several years ago and this guy looks different from the person I know is Wendell. It's kind of embarrassing to ask someone if they are real while you are eating in front of them.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
don't hate me because I am beautiful ...

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I get phishing spam everyday. I own two Internet based businesses, and the crap I get is from the IRS to the lost Sister's Brother's Son of Uncle Remus's Cousin's Nephew's Aunt's three eyed, double tongued Niece in Bartangulanga who is holding $398 Billion dollars for me in Ricky Joe Eddie Bob's secret account in Iraq. If I will only....

I have spoken with the TBI, FBI, Secret Service and a host of agency's, but to no avail. Banks I've never heard of, Ebay, PayPal, Credit Unions and of course, the lost souls of Singapore. I get orders for large quantities of security metal detectors. I delete them all and never reply in any way. However, I am working on a new program that replies automatically with an electron phantom fist. It comes out of their monitor and knocks their teeth out the back of their head. Meanwhile, a pyro-signal fries their mother board and hard drive. Anyone want to sign up for my service? I accept credit cards dancing

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote