THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    new "x" bullet mrx (maximum range x) now with picure

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new "x" bullet mrx (maximum range x) now with picure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
new bullet from barnes...who knows when it will be distributed...its basicly the tsx with a tungsten core and polymer tip with a boat tail. the good news basicly shorter bullets more powder room, you can go lighter on the bullets say 160 instead of 180gr and good b.c. these things are darned perfect now...now if we can get people to rely on marksmanship instead of the gun/bullet

does this interest anyone?

what do you think?

also posted in reloading but apropriate here too

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw an article in Rifle Magazine about the MRX. The new bullet looks very interesting, IMHO. I particular since the (TS)X bullets are so long. For certain applications (e.g. a 270 or a 300 grs in a .375 H&H case) this length sure takes up a lot of the case space available.

I wonder whether the polymer insert is going to make the new bullet expand easier or more violently than the (TS)X does?? For certain applications, that might also be an advantage.

Finally, I have to admire Barnes for being as innovative as they have been over the last years. Although many of the bullets they have introduced have similarities to like bullets from other manufacturers, they have managed to earn a big place in the market place.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that idea that I gave them for the past two years at the SHOT Show.

Great to hear that they are listening to their customers Wink

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much the bullet will cost. Speer bullets with the tungsten core were very expensive. My other concern with barnes bullets is that they are always changing things. Seems like once you get a load worked up, the damn bullet is no longer available!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Any idea on how well the copper will bond with the tungsten core?

I am also courious on how accurate and how well they will expand.

If they are not to expensive and are legal to shoot Deer with I will give them a try.

I finaly got a load I am happy with for the TSX in my 300 Win Mag. All of my friends think I have lost my mind using a solid copper bullet on Deer but that is there loss.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i think tsx's will be around for years...this is an ultra premium bullet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
called them up they should be out around march of 06. and be around 75cents per bullet

posted Hide Post
Have shot more than a few tungsten cored bullets in matches. Don't hold much hope for accuracy. But Barnes has a knack for doing it right.

How can they get the tungsten core centered exactly each time?

I've used X out to over 800 with expansion. but the polymer tip could help a bit.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO Barnes is trying to fix something that ain't broke! Confused

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i really hope that the tungston core holds in the jacket, i have had problems with the partitions with cores slipping out from time to time...i think the plastic tip came about due to the constant reports comming in of proj not opening up from time to time...if this proj opens up with the same ease as the old nosler at long range it will be a real winner
daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Isn't this a similar design to the Fail Safe? It doesn't use a tungsten core or polymer tip but overall it isn't much different.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you get a 37mm of depleted uranium and swage it down?:-)

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rost495:
But Barnes has a knack for doing it right.

Jeff
\

I am assuming you are not talking about proof-reading loading manuals? jump Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this bullet will have the same problems with the rear core rupturing through the front of the bullet like the original Winchester Black talon...

Now if CT would just get rid of the moly and experiment with some bands on the Fail safe I would like to try that bullet.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might be tempeted to try a 3x if it just had the plastic meplat. I would be interested in light for the caliber bullets that don't need the heavy core such as a 150 gr .308".

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
99, I don't think there's much similar to it and will wager performance will be quite a bit difference with the Barnes digging a lot deeper... that Olin bullet looks like a real turd IMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
By similar I mean that it has a plastic meplat like the new Barnes and is copper in the nose like the Barnes. It still seems to be a coated bullet and not 3X like the new X.

At this very early juncture I just can't imagine how someone can come to such a rigid conclusion from a couple of pictures. On top of that the bullets may be still in development.

To me they seem similar to the failsafe and perhaps an improvement but lets wait and see what really happens.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, I have to disagree. I think Winchesters new bullet will be a reasonable if not better performer on game, it's early to make such a rash (turd) statement. I guess we'll just have to shoot some critters with-um to see.

The only negative I see with this bullet is that it might spell the demise of the Failsafe, which is an awesome bullet for our moose & big bears & animals of like.

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote