New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice BookCliffs Buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got a nice BookCliffs Utah mule deer buck - gross B&C score of 181.5". He has mass and deep forks front and back and he is very symmetrical with very few deductions. A mule deer like this is rare in the States these days. I feel very fortunate.

Got him with a 30-06 Ackley Improved, 165 gr.Accubond at ~150 yds.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, really great looking buck.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer!

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
A very nice deer! I hope to find his twin next weekend!

Congrats!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome buck for the BookCliffs....congrats!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great buck for the Book Cliffs and any other unit. I hunted there as well this year and was luck enough to shoot a 32" buck on the Muzz hunt.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a spectacular mulie! I agree, his mass really makes him a great trophy.
Well Done!

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
You lucky dude! Thanks for sharing, for me that would be a buck of a lifetime!

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That is a truly OUTSTANDING mulie buck!! Congratulations sir....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb mulie! Congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Buck! Congratulations.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great buck! I love the mass...I may try to draw that area for elk next year. Did you see any good bulls in there?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Nice buck!!
Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great mule deer! Fantastic

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, the elk were everywhere, including some MONSTERS! But, very difficult to draw a permit! Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats,that be one fine Buck!!!! tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty - I love the mass and the color of the rack. Congratulations! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Noel,

That is a Kicker of a buck! Congrats! How'd the bullet fare? Please give us some details about the shot and the angle. Don't see any blood, entrance/exit holes other than what looks like the beginnings of nad removal. Oh wait! Is the bullet exit area? Bet that left a mark! hilbily

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP, this buck is a trophy - symmetry, mass (4.5" circumference throughout), color, deep forks, pretty, etc. I'm very lucky on this one, and I wish all get one like this. What fun sharing that would be!

The trusty "old" 'O6 AI did the job. He dropped in his tracks, dead before he hit the ground. "Spinned" 'im. I shot him at ~150 yds through the base of the neck - complete pass through. The 165 gr. Accubond bullet had to be traveling near ~3000 fps at impact, since it started at ~3250 fps at the muzzle. I like 69 grs. of Norma MRP - my best load for this cartridge - IMO better than the 180 gr. load using Re25, although I admit - if I were hunting elk - I'd use the 180 gr. bullet.

GSSP, I hope you and all the AR loyalists get one like this someday, but many have probably done better already.

Warm regards, Noel

PS. In the "BOOKs" the elk hunting is better than the deer hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer.

?? Why are deer of that caliber "rare in the states these days"? Were they once not rare? I have never hunted mule deer but would like to some time.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
Great deer.

?? Why are deer of that caliber "rare in the states these days"? Were they once not rare? I have never hunted mule deer but would like to some time.
Perry

Perry, mule deer populations have been on the decline for decades in the West, and the decline is the almost exact inverse of the ever increasing elk populations in the West. IMO the elk are, in some manner, usurping habitat from the mule deer. Moreover, mule deer hunting pressure continues unabated, especially for big bucks, which must be one of the worst "animals" to be these days. If you're a big buck, you get spotted and killed in hurry. Trophy quality has dropped dramatically in the "Books." Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would there be any chance of "managing" these herds with selective culling? Targeting inferior antlered bucks? Who regulates these herds and why have they not addressed the problem of the elk?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utah Game and Fish regulates the herds and sets the seasons in Utah. Wyoming does the same for Wyoming, etc. Their respective game biologists make the decisions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of friends and I hunted the book cliffs years ago after we read a story in bowhunter magazine about the mule deer there. We packed up, bought the $150 archery tag (maybe is was only $120 then) and headed out west. I shot my very first mule deer with a recurve and my buddy shot a big doe. We just didn't make it happen on anything big, but man we saw a couple bucks that were in that class...at least 180-190. I think that was in '89 or so. It was a great hunt and at the time there were a lot of deer, but the locals we ran into even then said "You should have seen it 10 years ago". Wonderful area, and I even saw a California Condor on the drive out to the south as we were headed home.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
The Utah winter of 1991/2 was horrible for the Utah deer herds. It was so bad, the following year the Utah DWR changed forever how deer tags would be obtained in Utah. Their used to be unlimited tags available resulting in around 250,000 tags sold annually. Now, IIRC, it's around 90,000 tags obtained through a lottery. The state is now divided into 5 zones. A hunter has to not only pick a zone but a weapon; bow, muzzle loader or rifle/handgun. I believe that since the 1991/2 winter, Utah has put more emphasis into it's elk herd and developing it as a premium elk hunting destination. So far, the results are evident.

Alan

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Refresh

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks AI! Easier than searching...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I missed the original posting. Man, what an awsome buck!

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would there be any chance of "managing" these herds with selective culling? Targeting inferior antlered bucks? Who regulates these herds and why have they not addressed the problem of the elk?

Elk is where the money is.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous buck! I don't think people realize how hard it can be to kill a buck like that, especially in the book cliffs. Congratulations!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote