New
Find
Notify
Tools

United States Outfitters Inc?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any pluses or negatives about using them to set up liscneces and bonus points. I figuire I would start applying for some of the hard to get hunts and preference points for items like Sheep, Goats, and elk, and Mule Deer.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there was a long running controversial topic on them a few years back on here and about every hunting forum. I actually didn't know they were still in business. George Taulman was trying to change a lot of things pretaining to hunting big game in western states.

They do produce and at a fair price.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I've never used them but I used Cabelas TAGS this year for sheep in Montana and Arizona. Seems like a similar service in concept.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just apply on your own, and save the fees? I think you can apply for sheep online in every state that has a draw. I know three of my sons do it every year. I don't see how they could improve odds, just save you the keyboard work for over a $1000.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Just remember the fine print in your agreement.

If you use their draw service, you MUST use their guide service for that hunt. They will not let you out of it!

I've never used them, nor will I ever, after the sh*t they pulled here in AZ, they can rot and fall off the earth for all I care.

Just my opinion only

Big Grin

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm with Slim. thumbdown to USO.

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never used them, nor will I ever, after the sh*t they pulled here in AZ, they can rot and fall off the earth for all I care.

clap

Not only in AZ, he was headed for every western state, George became a four letter word here!

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Can you guys enlighten us? I did use Cabelas last year as I was swamped and figured what the heck, if I by some fluke drew a tag I'll use them.
If there are activities going on out there that means we should steer clear of them or USO fill us in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
George Taulman USO, was trying to force states into allocating more tags for nonresidents, via law suits with cash strapped Game Depts. He lost, he started in Az, and I don't recall what all he accomplished there. There was also some illegal activites with one of his giudes. I have slept since then, I bet some of the other guys remember. Boiled down to states rights.

Back in 2004 I think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look into the Hunting Fool. They produce a great magazine and they offer a tag applying service. I receive their magazine but haven't used their service but I have heard good things about them.

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to USO years ago but they were just getting themselves in trouble at the time. I believe they were spotting elk from the air then calling in their "hunters" on top of them.

Posts: 13805 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
Any pluses or negatives about using them ...
Hey woodsie, just above your name at the top of this thread is a "Find Button". Click on it and search on both USO and United States Outfitters.

There has been a goo dbit of discussion about them in the past.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Pass on them. In fact, I would just pass tag services all together.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would never use uso, for anything. maybe cabelas, but since i put in for my own tags (easy and takes maybe 10 minutes on the web), no need to use any tag service. ymmv.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you use a tag service, do they front the costs of the tags. THat seems like it was the one of hte benefits.
Maybe some one can review the process of applying for the tags.
Thanks so much,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read enough controversial threads on enough sites that I'd do some serious digging before I gave them any of my money. I have no personal knowledge of their organization, but they certainly seem to generate plenty of heat and smoke ...

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
George Taulman USO, was trying to force states into allocating more tags for nonresidents, via law suits with cash strapped Game Depts. He lost, he started in Az, and I don't recall what all he accomplished there. There was also some illegal activites with one of his giudes. I have slept since then, I bet some of the other guys remember. Boiled down to states rights.

Back in 2004 I think.

It was 2004 and they sued Arizona and Arizona lost and had to issue more elk and deer tags that year... Arizona was not happy and that was the 1st and only year I think Arizona offered that you could put in for tags online and you didn't have to buy tags up front. The following year it was back to the old system you had to buy your tags obviously if you didn't draw you got a refund. But it is expensive in Arizona. Especially at the time elk tags were going for 117.50 for residents... Then they targeted the state of New Mexico, Nevada they were suing states left and right but I think Arizona was the only state they won a lawsuit against the other states won, or something like that...

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taulman sued the State of Arizona under the pretense of interstate commerce. His lawsuit sought to overturn the limits placed on non-resident licenses. The State of Arizona would have responded by jacking up license fees high enough that it would limit the non-resident licenses/tags. I don't have a problem with others hunting in AZ; frankly, I spend almost all of my big game time outside of AZ. If I draw, I draw. If I never do, I am okay with that as well. But this greedy move by Taulman would have resulted in non-resident tags becomming so expensive that a plumber in Ohio named Joe would simply give up his dream of hunting in AZ (and the other states once Taulman was successful). Once that happens, we all suffer. Once Joe stops buying .338s, the bullets, etc. we all lose.

Zumbo is another guy here who was surrounded by controversy. He lost his job at Outdoor Life because of his bone-headed rant about black guns. But I will give Zumbo a ton of credit: when Taulman pulled this crap Zumbo stopped doing business with him. Boddington, on the other hand, continues to do so. Frankly, it makes me ill to hear him speak about USO. But I guess he has no problem with it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boddington, on the other hand, continues to do so. Frankly, it makes me ill to hear him speak about USO. But I guess he has no problem with it.

When you have unlimited funds, sponsors, and backing, it isn't an issue, unfortunetly most of us don't have those luxuries!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu:

Sponsors aren't the issue. Hell, Boddington can hunt with anyone he wants to. Maybe he doesn't want to alienate anyone. Who knows why he supports USO. Maybe he can answer that himself. Next time I see him I will ask him.

There were a lot of organizations and at least one writer (Zumbo) who came out against USO. I am disappointed CB did not. Kirk Kelso was pretty vehement in his disgust with USO. Spend your money with him.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I have some friends I visit each year that live near New Mexico. I can tell you that most if not all Arizona hunters despise USO for the crap they pulled. My friends said that last year or maybe the year before several of their guides got in trouble to spotting game from the air and something about not reporting something to G&F.

I would not trust them for anything. IMO

Posts: 757 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Kudu:

Earl:

It just amazes me that anyone would hunt with USO. It is obviously just about the money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to use a tag service, I would go with Garth Carter/Huntin Fool. They have a very good reputation.

There are a lot of reasons why many, many western hunters dislike USO.

The law suite fiasco is just one.
I have witnessed some antics in the field that led me to believe some of their guides have no idea what they are doing. Use them, hunt with them at your own risk, I wouldn’t recommend it.

I think I was last year when Cabelas T.A.G.S service messed up and sent a bunch of applications in to Arizona late, causing a lot of hunters to loose bonus points, and loyalty points in a state where points are very valuable. Those points are probably worth about a thousands bucks apiece, and are irreplaceable.
Once again, use Cabelas T.A.G.S. at your own risk.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several other outfits that do the same thing. It costs about $50 per applied for tag. If you do not want to track the areas or the various state rules, use one of these outfits.

Also, you do not send your money to the various states for the tag fees, the agency uses their money and you pay a $50 fee (varies sometimes). They let the states sit on their money and you pay the agency for the privilege.

I would do it, but I have basically given up on hunting the in USA due to the various rules and hassles. I prefer Africa.

Posts: 10262 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kirk Kelso and all his doings are a little/lot on the shady side as well. Wouldn't consider him for anything connected with hunting.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Kudu:

Sponsors aren't the issue. Hell, Boddington can hunt with anyone he wants to. Maybe he doesn't want to alienate anyone. Who knows why he supports USO. Maybe he can answer that himself. Next time I see him I will ask him.

There were a lot of organizations and at least one writer (Zumbo) who came out against USO. I am disappointed CB did not. Kirk Kelso was pretty vehement in his disgust with USO. Spend your money with him.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda:
If I were to use a tag service, I would go with Garth Carter/Huntin Fool. They have a very good reputation.

With some people they have a good reputation. It will be interesting to see if you still feel this way in the future

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been a member for about 5 years and still happy. One just needs to learn to read between the lines. The only complaint I've herd about Huntin Fool is when the recommend a unit the odds get worse because so many new people start applying for it.
Huntin fool is just another source for information, I never put all my eggs in to one basket.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Kirk Kelso and all his doings are a little/lot on the shady side as well. Wouldn't consider him for anything connected with hunting.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Kudu:

Larry:

Can you expound on that?