New
Find
Notify
Tools

Round in Chamber or not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On the Alaska hunting forum a thread got off track and turned into a debate about the merits of hunting with a rifle with a round in the chamber or not.
My opinion is to hunt with no rounds in the chamber unless I am on final approach on a stalk, sitting on stand or following up a dangerous animal than can bite back.
What is your opinion?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Round in chamber, safe engaged.
That way you can keep your eyes on whatever you're stalking and slip safe off noiseless when necessary.
Allows much faster shooting in most instances.

The chambering noises are just too much for most game species which are wide alert in any case to any strange sounds in the area.

Posts: 145 | Location: RSA | Registered: 02 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to go with SpringTrap.
This year I had a hunter that refused to chamber a round in the deer blind until he saw a deer. Unfortunately when the buck walked out he chambered the round, it was a browning auto, and the buck spooked.
Keep a round chambered and the safety on and your finger off the trigger.
The two most important safety features on any gun are your brain and your trigger finger.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
ROUND IN CHAMBER...

Next time try driving your car without fuel in the tank. and im not talking about one of those hybrid cars either or anything like that.

Like I said before.
Firearms Safety Rule
#1. ALWAYS keep the MUZZLE pointed in a SAFE direction.

If you feel that you can't keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction then maybe you shouldnt be carrying a rifle. Or maybe get some blanks and take a picture, then pretend to shoot the animal.
I cant name anyone off the top of my head that doesnt carry a round in the chamber when hunting.
Maybe some people should take up crocheting or something.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soon as i leave the truck or whatever a round goes in the chamber-safety on-thats the way i have done it always even though the country i usually hunt in gives me a little time to get ready to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
I have to go with SpringTrap.
This year I had a hunter that refused to chamber a round in the deer blind until he saw a deer. Unfortunately when the buck walked out he chambered the round, it was a browning auto, and the buck spooked.
Keep a round chambered and the safety on and your finger off the trigger.
The two most important safety features on any gun are your brain and your trigger finger.

AMEN Brother

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chambered with safety on. As soon as I exit vehicle.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Round in chamber and safety on for me. I think that is why they made the safety in the first place. It is like having a 1911 and not carrying it cocked & locked. It just don't make sence. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"This year I had a hunter that refused to chamber a round in the deer blind until he saw a deer. Unfortunately when the buck walked out he chambered the round, it was a browning auto, and the buck spooked".

Already agreed when I started this thread on stand it is a good idea. No one is disputing that.

So, If you are following your son up a rocky trail you would have no problem carrying a rifle with a round in the chamber as you carried your rifle?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
On the Alaska hunting forum a thread got off track and turned into a debate about the merits of hunting with a rifle with a round in the chamber or not.
My opinion is to hunt with no rounds in the chamber unless I am on final approach on a stalk, sitting on stand or following up a dangerous animal than can bite back.
What is your opinion?

IMO, someone suggesting to only chamber a round when you have a shot is RIDICULOUS. I can't imagine being on my climbing stand, seeing a deer, and then making the noise of having to chamber a round. A whitetail deer would hear that and be gone in a heartbeat. Not to mention that I have a shooting lane that sometimes deer cross through quickly. If I don't have a round chambered then I'm dead in the water.

Posts: 91 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Round in the chamber with the safety on, period. I keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction all the time. If you slip and fall, and we all have at one time or another, keep the muzzle away from doing harm at all costs, that includes preserving the gun, yourself, anyting or anyone who might be in the arc of path of the bullet if the safety fails. Elmer Keith always said that when you came to his house, all of the guns were loaded, no exceptions, so treat them accordingly. I don't think he ever shot anybody.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
"This year I had a hunter that refused to chamber a round in the deer blind until he saw a deer. Unfortunately when the buck walked out he chambered the round, it was a browning auto, and the buck spooked".

Already agreed when I started this thread on stand it is a good idea. No one is disputing that.

So, If you are following your son up a rocky trail you would have no problem carrying a rifle with a round in the chamber as you carried your rifle?

Which part of Always keep the Muzzle pointed in a safe direction do you not understand. If you cant do that I would take up another hobby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not about personal attacks. Its about a survey. And some of you keep on forgetting the point keeping a round in the chamber while on stand is NOT the issue being debated. Read the thoughts again about having it loaded while on stand,or while on final approach. I am guessing our style of hunting up here is way different than in the lower 48. Here we are always walking over uneven terrain. We rarely ever sit on stand. Always moving. It also seems that the bigger possibility there is of having an animal bite back the less people here carry a round in the chamber

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with snowwolf on this. A much larger portion of our time up here in alaska is actually traveling to and from "our stand" situations. Traveling on 4 wheeler, snowmachine, boat, or just plain overland walking in these situations I normaly have the gun cross slung or in a gun rack of some sort. When stalking a spotted game, tracking wounded game, or stand hunting a round is in the chamber with the safety on.

Some have used the example of 10 guys pheasant hunting in a field as an example that loaded and safe is a good idea, in this situation they are in the "final stalk" situation, I doubt they left thier shotguns loaded in the truck on thier way there.

The one exception to this is that I always have a loaded revolver strapped to my chest, but encased in the molded kydex holster it has vertially no way of firing. I also keep my camp gun, marlin guide gun, loaded and in half cock but that is also a final stalk situation, and left sitting in muzzle safe situation.

In the situations where I leave the chamber empty the gun isn't generally accessable for a quick shot. In these situations I would't be able jump shoot anyway.

I find it odd how angry some people are seeming to get about this topic. What gives?

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you watch most of the commercial videos they show the hunter chambering the round only when they are ready to shoot. I was starting to think I was the only one with a round in the chamber as I sat on stand or was doing a stalk. I will clear the chamber when crossing a barrier like a fence.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, round in chamber.

How many upland game hunters wait until the flush to chamber a round??

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
obviously, there may be times when it is inadvisable to have round in the chamber - when I go up into my climbing stand and have to pull my rifle up by a rope or if you were hunting a mountainside and had to negotiate a treacherous slide of shale or something . . . but you're not really hunting at those times.

Any time I'm hunting, there is a round in the chamber, gun on safe, finger off the trigger - that's whether I'm stand hunting or still hunting or even walking from stand back to car or camp (so long as its not on a road).

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting, or stalking--round in chamber. When following someone no round in chamber. I'd refuse to walk in front of someone with "one in the pipe" accidents happen. Even when you control your muzzle.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is not about personal attacks. Its about a survey. And some of you keep on forgetting the point keeping a round in the chamber while on stand is NOT the issue being debated. Read the thoughts again about having it loaded while on stand,or while on final approach. I am guessing our style of hunting up here is way different than in the lower 48. Here we are always walking over uneven terrain. We rarely ever sit on stand. Always moving. It also seems that the bigger possibility there is of having an animal bite back the less people here carry a round in the chamber

Not making an attack on anybody.
You say the bigger possibility there is of having an animal bite back the less people carry a round in the chamber.
That makes no sense whatsoever. If something bites back I want a round in the chamber no exceptions period. An unloaded gun with something that bites back.
Well I hope your will is up to date. I mean that is retarded.
Where is common sense at here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of this conversation has to do with terminology. I generally consider myself to be hunting the the whole week that I'm out in the bush. The actual time that I'm likely to shoot at an animal is actually much smaller proportionally than it would be if I was hunting back home in MI. Back there I sit in my stand all day chamber loaded waiting for a deer. Up here I ride the 4 wheeler, snow machine or glass most of the day, might only have a few minutes or maybe couple hours of actual hunting, by your defination, the rest of the time I'm traveling and looking.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Round in the Chamber, Safety On, Finger Off the Trigger. I will not hunt with anyone that walks with his finger on the trigger and the safety off.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod-

THe common sense is what keeps you from having to shoot in the first place. Sadly every story about a bear waiting in ambush behind every tree is a little exagerated. I'd rather have no gun at all but use a little common sense than be "armed for bear" all loaded and safety on but not being "bear smart". Simple things like being aware of your suroundings and not haveing food in camp.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Depends... hunting alone in timber, always chambered. Hiking in the dark a.m., unchambered until light. Hunting with others, typically unchambered... we ALWAYS communicate, colaborate and reach agreement on what we're all doing. It's easy to go unchambered out on the prarie as there's generally time to get ready for the shot and distances are far. Definately NOT the case in the timber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll give you an example of what I mean I did some rabbit hunting the other day. Most of the time was spend on a 4 wheeler. When in the rack it was empty chamber. If I saw a snowshoe or got to a good area with lots of sign I hopped off the wheeler and loaded the chamber, safety on. After I hunted that are I would unload the chamber again and hope back on the wheeler. This happened 10-15 times that day.

The situation is pretty much the same depending on game, it may be a snowmachine or boat, but you get the idea. If I was climbing usually the gun is attached to my packframe empty chamber. A lot of the climbing requires both hands to be available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Doss:

clap Can tell you've never been road huntin'. Always keep a round in the chamber in the truck!!!

rotflmoI am just kidding clap

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the situation. Generally if I'm hunting with someone else and we're after antelope or very open country mule deer, I carry the gun empty, it's a No.1. I also insist that my companion does also. This hasn't hurt my success rate so I guess I'll keep doing it.

For elk or bear in heavy cover, loaded and safety on is the only thing that makes sence given the realistic chance that I will only have a few seconds to make a shot.

When I was guiding I never, ever, under any circumstances allowed my client to carry loaded and safety on if I was in front of him/her on the trail. I just had way too many close-up looks at a muzzle when I turned around. I follow the same rule myself, if I'm in back of someone, I unload.

Handguns: I use single actions so that isn't an issue. I suppose someone could want to walk around with a single action cocked. I actually read an article suggesting that was an OK idea. I guess that writer should go under the thread about gun writers you can't stand, or are just total idiots.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by HunterMontana:
Depends on the situation. Generally if I'm hunting with someone else and we're after antelope or very open country mule deer, I carry the gun empty, it's a No.1. I also insist that my companion does also. This hasn't hurt my success rate so I guess I'll keep doing it.

For elk or bear in heavy cover, loaded and safety on is the only thing that makes sence given the realistic chance that I will only have a few seconds to make a shot.

When I was guiding I never, ever, under any circumstances allowed my client to carry loaded and safety on if I was in front of him/her on the trail. I just had way too many close-up looks at a muzzle when I turned around. I follow the same rule myself, if I'm in back of someone, I unload.

Well said. There are many hunting situations where a loaded chamber is just adding unnecessary risk.

Some else said this, but I'll repeat it here. There are two groups of shooters/hunters: those that have experienced an accidental discharge and those that haven't experienced an accidental discharge YET.

Safety First, and I don't just mean the safety...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I retract my carte blanch statement. If I'm in open antelope country I seldom walk around with a loaded chamber. In the truck or on the 4-wheeler I don't chamber. Extremely hazardous terrain, such as steep and snowcovered, I don't have one up the snout. The last thing on your mind in a situation like that is shooting, even goats. If i'm using the flintlock, I need an almost immediate reason to have the pan charged and ready to fire. Common sense prevails I hope.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad and HunterMt and I are fairly much on the same page on this one.

It depends on the situation, and the country but here is a brief over view of my thought process. (usually a scary thing eh--Mac?)

I've done, and still do a fair bit of guiding (professionaly not the help out a buddy kind of guiding). When I am doing this one of the very first chats I have with my new client for the week is about gun safety. My rule is no round in the chamber until we are going in on the final stalk. With the country we're hunting this is very easy to work with.

Stand hunting, once in the stand and seated then I will chamber a round.

In the timber sneaking along in predator mode either in Northern Minne for whitetail or here for elk I will be by myself and I will be hot and on safe. If the country gets ugly as it can here I take the time to put the round down.

Coming out of certain country known to have rather large furry denizens. I will be loaded, and on safe when humping it down the trail.

Open country, never a round in until the shot.

This is what works and has worked for this 47 year old kid for a long time and I see no reason to adopt another way.

Whatever your way be safe!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the hunting situation, and how fast you are likely to have to shoot. Many hunting scenarios (typically spot and stalk) will allow you to only chamber a round fairly late, e.g. at the start or towards the end of a stalk. In other situations, it is a necessity to have a round chambered at all times. But it is indeed a pretty unsafe feeling to walk around with a loaded rifle, in particular if you are in the field with a partner.

That is why so many of us appreciate what a decocking action, such as the R93, offers in terms of safety. Because these actions allow all firing mechanisms to be totally deactivated (no springs cocked, no firing pins resting on primers), you can carry the rifle with a loaded chamber in total safety. With a bit of practice, it is about as quick to cock the action as it is to take off a safety.

This is quite simply the best combination of safety and being prepared at all times.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have the magazine full, but not one in the chamber. There are not many times that I can think of where there wasn't plenty of time to chamber a round. Of course as all the other Mt posters have stated, it's pretty wide open up here and we are more likely to have a 200 yard or more shat than a 50 yrd shot. This isn't so much a safty issue(although it certainly could be), but an accidental discharge is going to send any animal that is nearby way over the hills.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Round in the chamber safety on goes with out saying.

Traving too and from the hunting grounds if Iam walking round in the chamber safety on.
If I am riding something and its legal magizane full, chamber empty.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I would have to say it depends on the terrain. Normally I walk/hunt alone with one in the chamber if it is fairly level and easy walking. Steep hills, heavy brush, anywhere the footing is questionable (or walking with another hunter single file)- full mag but none in the chamber.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
You sure got an earful. My ideas:

1. There is no safety except the one between your ears.

2. Hunting from a stand is not relevant to your question.

3. Chamber when close to, or at, the point where you will have a shot, or when stalking dangerous game. Travelling in a vehicle of any kind with a chambered round is not only dangerous, in some states it is unlawful.

4. If a person is that unfamiliar with the rifle he is using that he cannot chamber in the blink of an eye, so to speak, best to practice a bit before going out.

quote:
What is your opinion?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I can chamber a round in my bolt action as fast as I can shoulder it.
But, for you folks who are fortunate to hunt with double rifles, what do you do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swowwolfe I think you should get some one with a stop watch and have them time you.

ten times bringing rifle to shoulder

then ten times working the bolt bringing rifle to shoulder and post the times here.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P Shooter-

If you waited so long that the extra 2/10s of a second it takes to rack a bolt or lever in a round means you get no shot then you aren't paying enough attention to your suroundings.

One of Us
Picture of 308sniper
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats how I work.

PETA: people eating tasty animals

Posts: 46 | Location: VA | Registered: 12 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308sniper:
quote:

Thats how I work.

The PH's I was with insisted on this. So I followed along. Seemed safe and good idea to me.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Once I leave the vehicle and uncase the rifle, it's chamber loaded, safety on, finger off trigger, muzzle in safe direction before I start walking. In Africa, after we got on board the vehicle, my PH insisted that everyone chamber a round before he started driving. Whether he did that with anyone else, I have no idea, but I was glad his procedure coincided with my preferences.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote