Find
Notify
Tools

Round in Chamber or not?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
When hunting locally around the camp in which It's only short dirt road journeys to the stands or areas we hunt, I keep my rifles loaded even when in the Truck Eeker. (Only on rifles w/ a dependable safety system, IE disengage mechanism when on safe)

When I leave on my last hunt for the trip, I unload or if I decide to bring my rifle in the camp.

I was brought up being taught to treat a rifle as if it is loaded at all times regardless. Muzzle direction is of the utmost importance.

Some of the idiots that chamber their rifles in the field also wave the darn thing around because it's "Unloaded." There's been thousands of people killed w/ weapons thought to be unloaded.

You should treat your rifle like it's loaded at all times! Then, if a mishap ever occurs, you and others around you are safe.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reloader:

My dad used to say (and I'm 75) "It's the empty gun that kills". (The first thing heard from the poor fool who just killed somebody: " I didn't know it was loaded")

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting comment Reloader that you always have a round in the chamber. (Even in a vehicle, isn't that illegal in many states?) You always treat the rifle as loaded. Excellent idea, if you never make a mistake.

A friend of mine found out the hard way that it's always best to unload with the rifle in a safe direction before you enter a truck. He had always carried his rifle loaded in the truck and never had a problem for over 20 seasons, until he took out his transmission with 150 gr. 270. It was sub-zero weather his hands were cold, he was wearing bulky clothing, and he was absolutely positive the safety was on. It was also a hell of a long walk till he got a ride and a very expencive tow charge not to mention the transmission. I would add that he walked around with a profound ringing in his ears for a while.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
IdahoVandal, did you get the same impression from "ALL" of Thebear_78 posts as I did. He makes it seem like we in the lower 48 don't know how to hunt in the wilderness. Roll Eyes
I have hunted all over Alaska included, and everyone I was around up there had a round in the chamber. But the whole problem here is, someone is trying to impose there will and make other feel as if they are wrong for having a round in the chamber.
Thebear_78 your way is not the only way. We all have the ability to make choices and we all have different ways of hunting. Being from Alaska does not make you a better hunter than "we" in the lower 48.

Redhawk-

What I am trying to do is show the difference between what we consider hunting here and you consider hunter there. A lot of the time that snowwolf or I say empty chamber while hunting we are refferring to empty chamber while traveling to and from. The hard part isnt shooting animals here in alaska, its finding the darn things. I couldn't tell you how many times I have hunted for a whole day or more without seeing anything larger than a partridge. If you look at it you can see that we agree to loaded round on final stalk or when tracking, If your in a position to jump shoot game your probably in a final stalk situation. When I'm on a bear bait station I have a loaded round just like I would if I was in my deer stand back in MI.

As stated I'm from MICHIGAN, lived and hunted there for most of my life. I strongly doubt that you hunt in delaware the same way you hunted in alaska or africa?? The different terrains and different animals take different kinds of tactics.

Finally I couldn't care less what you choose to do, empty chamber or not. It really has absolutely no effect on my life what so ever. My intention is not to "impose my will" or "make other feel as if they are wrong". Hunt how you want, believe me anything you type on this forum isn't going to change the way I feel about myself.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok these are my rules for my use and I won't push them on anyone.

Empty chamber:
In or on any type of motorized vehicle.
On horse back.
Crossing a fence.
Handing a firearm to another individual.
Traversing terrain with the potential to cause a fall (ice, streams, cliffs, ditches, dongas, or etc.).
At night (except in dangerous game country).
Other situations that may cause a safety risk such as climbing to a tree stand or carrying firearm tied to a back pack.

Loaded firearm:
All cases except for situations explained above.

I can't believe a PH would allow a loaded firearm in a vehicle except when using the vehicle to approach a wounded DG animal in the long grass. What has diesel hunting come to?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
TB_78:

Actually, my "panties" are not bunched up-- thank you for asking.

I find it curious how people's behavior can be predicted and classified based upon their geographical position. There is probably an interesting argument to be had about the topic but as soon as people are being "classified" I am generally uninterested, thanks....

Consider this: Most (greater than 50%) "hunting accidents" (a gunshot wound sustained by someone during or in close proximity to hunting activities) are "categorized" as one hunter mistaking a person for game, and hence, shooting them. Nationwide, areas with higher densities of hunters have these types of accidents. More hunters in the woods+ more time in the woods= more accidents. SO, one could argue (statistically) that if you hunt WITHOUT a round in the chamber and LOSE an opportunity to harvest (and thus, leave the woods) YOU are contributing to HIGHER numbers of hunting "accidents" in the woods by NOT having a ROUND chambered. Now, certainly, if you are crossing a fence- UNLOAD. If you are on any type of terrain that you can not 100% ensure that you can maintain muzzle control-- unload. If you are going up steep terrain with a partner in front of you-- unload.

I have heard the whole argument about not having a round in the chamber because it produces higher amounts of "accidents" the myth continues to get life from groups like PETA, The Humane Society, the Defenders of WIldlife and The Brady Center-- groups that argue this-- I disagree with.

But, what do I know? I am from the lower 48-- we have NO wilderness or roadless areas here in Idaho.......

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What good is an unloaded gun?

All My guns are loaded at all times and are treated as such. EXCEPT My rifles/shotguns are unloaded when they're in the back of My (or someone elses) car being "transported. And that's only 'cause that's the law! thumbdown

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no gun accidents, they are neglegence.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any hunter education instructors in here? Be good to hear there opinions. And again, the topic is supposed to be about carrying a rifle either with a round in the chamber or not.

An unloaded gun is simply that. Thats why I chamber a round when I need it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Why yes!
Certified instructor in the state of Idaho
Certified instructor in the state of Washington

IV

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surely no one is stating it is safer to have a round in the chamber than waiting till on stand or when on final stalk approach?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Any hunter education instructors in here? Be good to hear there opinions. And again, the topic is supposed to be about carrying a rifle either with a round in the chamber or not.

An unloaded gun is simply that. Thats why I chamber a round when I need it.

I think most people know what the topic is about.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the Alaska hunting forum a thread got off track and turned into a debate about the merits of hunting with a rifle with a round in the chamber or not.

My opinion is to hunt with no rounds in the chamber unless I am on final approach on a stalk, sitting on stand or following up a dangerous animal than can bite back.
What is your opinion?

In timber or dense cover I might carry a rifle with a round in the chamber and the safety on. Hunting sage flats there's no reason for it, and hiking to a hunting area it's of marginal utility. Most of the time I do not carry with a round in the chamber. I hunted with an outfitter once whose rules were more or less like that ( hunters behind him most of every day ) and I adopted them.

Hunting birds with a shotgun isn't practical without a round in the chamber; not much of a discussion there.

I had a safety fail once in the field, which reinforced the notion of leaving the chamber empty when not ready to shoot. It gets your attention and makes you really glad you listened when your pop was explaining about keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Keep in mind that brush can push some safeties off when you fall.

Use the safety, but don't place too much trust in it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14426 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely no one is stating it is safer to have a round in the chamber than waiting till on stand or when on final stalk approach?

Surely if you cant keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction you shouldnt be hunting period.

If you are so bad with controlling your rifle that you cant keep you muzzle pointed in a safe direction find another damn hobby.
Man you are hard headed.

I dont want to hunt with anyone who feels that they are not a safe enough hunter that they feel they have to keep their rifle unloaded to be a safe hunter.
Cause chances are if you dont feel that you can hunt safely enough with a round in the chamber without killing someone then you are probably dangerous anyway.

There have been several times that I would have went home empty handed if I would not of had a round chambered.
Alaskan animals must be very stupid if they just stand there and look at you. Here most hunting is in thick brush and a lot of times you animal see an animal for a couple seconds. If they do stop where you can see them and you go to chamber a round they wont stop till the reach the next county.If you dont have a round chambered you go home empty handed.
The exception would be hunting a pasture or grain field, but then you would be sitting so you should have a round chambered anyway.

There are a few times when I dont have a round chambered and that is climbing in and out of a stand etc. Other than that round chambered, safety on, finger off the trigger.
If I become so stupid that I cant keep from pointing the muzzle at someone then I will stop hunting. An unloaded gun is useless.

Since I hunt with a round chambered I use the safety between my ears and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
I always treat every gun as if it were loaded no exceptions.

Snowwolfe, Which part of keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction do you not understand??

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, that is EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:

I dont want to hunt with anyone who feels that they are not a safe enough hunter that they feel they have to keep their rifle unloaded to be a safe hunter.
Cause chances are if you dont feel that you can hunt safely enough with a round in the chamber without killing someone then you are probably dangerous anyway.

Very good point!

I would be far more concerned with the person who thinks they need to have an empty chamber to be safe. I have observed hundreds of kids with "dummy rifles" and the same kids when they have a live gun and live round in the chamber-- their entire attitude changes, and as has been pointed out-- the best safety is between your ears-- that means attitude as well.

IV

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

Surely if you cant keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction you shouldnt be hunting period.

If you are so bad with controlling your rifle that you cant keep you muzzle pointed in a safe direction find another damn hobby. Man you are hard headed.

Accidents happen for reasons that are frequenly not in direct control of the rifle bearer, which is why they are called "accidents" as opposed to reckless homicide.

quote:

I dont want to hunt with anyone who feels that they are not a safe enough hunter that they feel they have to keep their rifle unloaded to be a safe hunter. Cause chances are if you dont feel that you can hunt safely enough with a round in the chamber without killing someone then you are
probably dangerous anyway.

It's not about being a safe versus unsafe hunter, its about being a "safer" hunter. Living in denial of Murphey's Law is risky business when firearms are involved.

quote:

There have been several times that I would have went home empty handed if I would not of had a round chambered.

Yes, me too. In some circumstances, it is prudent to have one in the pipe. If you look back, few people are disagreeing with this...

quote:

Alaskan animals must be very stupid if they just stand there and look at you.

Now, I'd be a bit careful about calling intelligence into question based on state of residency...

quote:

Here most hunting is in thick brush and a lot of times you animal see an animal for a couple seconds. If they do stop where you can see them and you go to chamber a round they wont stop till the reach the next county.If you dont have a round chambered you go home empty handed.

You'll note that most posts from the "chamber-only-when-necessary" crowd would have a loaded chamber in this scenario too, so I am not sure who you thinking you are disagreeing with here...

However, snap shooting like this is, I suspect, a principal cause of the 50% of hunting accident attributed to shooting fellow hunters. Don't forget "be sure of your target and beyond"...

quote:

The exception would be hunting a pasture or grain field, but then you would be sitting so you should have a round chambered anyway.

There are a few times when I dont have a round chambered and that is climbing in and out of a
stand etc.

Again, when "on stand", most of us would have a chambered round too; once again, not too sure who you think you are disagreeing with here...

quote:

Other than that round chambered, safety on, finger off the trigger. If I become so stupid that I cant keep from pointing the muzzle at someone then I will stop hunting.

Is this to imply that you are already stupid, and are concerned about a worsening of your condition? Anyone who claims to never have had this happen is simply unaware of their own behavior. The lady doth protest too much. If you're so confident in your rifle handling, why do you bother with the safety? After all, it will only slow you down when it's time to shoot...

quote:
An unloaded gun is useless.

Sure, when it's time to shoot. Similarly then, a loaded gun is useless when it is not time to shoot.

quote:

Since I hunt with a round chambered I use the safety between my ears and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

I always treat every gun as if it were loaded no exceptions.

Which part of keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction do you not understand??

Well, I am not sure that a properly functioning "safety between the ears" would exude so little
respect for the laws of chance...

I sincerely hope that your piece of humble pie doesn't come out of a loved one's hide.

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

More hunters in the woods+ more time in the woods= more accidents. SO, one could argue (statistically) that if you hunt WITHOUT a round in the chamber and LOSE an opportunity to harvest (and thus, leave the woods) YOU are contributing to HIGHER numbers of hunting "accidents" in the woods by NOT having a ROUND chambered.

If you have left the woods, you have decreased the hunter density and therefore you cannot be the victim or cause of a gun accident.

Also, I don't think hours spent hunting is the relevant measure of accident exposure, but rather hours spent hunting with a chambered-loaded rifle. A chamber-loaded firearm is a necessary condition for an accident.

quote:

Now, certainly, if you are crossing a fence- UNLOAD. If you are on any type of terrain that you can not 100% ensure that you can maintain muzzle control-- unload. If you are going up steep terrain with a partner in front of you-- unload.

Uh, I think that's what most of the "chamber-at-sensible-times' crowd is saying...

quote:

I have heard the whole argument about not having a round in the chamber because it produces higher amounts of "accidents" the myth continues to get life from groups like PETA, The Humane Society, the Defenders of WIldlife and The Brady Center-- groups that argue this-- I disagree with.

Empty chambers cause far fewer accidents (as in zero) than loaded ones, so I am not sure where the "myth" is here. Calling it a myth just because it may be espoused by someone you disagree with seems a bit silly.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
Now, I'd be a bit careful calling intelligence into question based on state of residency...

Now what would my state of residency have anything to do with intelligence.
I wouldnt think you would be so intelligent yourself if you stereotype people based on their home of residence.
So are you saying that because you are from Alaska that automatically makes you more intelligent than someone from Kentucky or any other state? Sounds to me like you are the one with the small mind.

Well now I tell yer Im so smarts I gradumatated the 8th grade twice. Spent six years in the 8th grade to do that. hammering
Big Grin

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:
Now, I'd be a bit careful calling intelligence into question based on state of residency...

Now what would my state of residency have anything to do with intelligence.
I wouldnt think you would be so intelligent yourself if you stereotype people based on their home of residence.
So are you saying that because you are from Alaska that automatically makes you more intelligent than someone from Kentucky or any other state? Sounds to me like you are the one with the small mind.

Well now I tell yer Im so smarts I gradumatated the 8th grade twice. Spent six years in the 8th grade to do that. hammering
Big Grin

You forced my hand, I just can't let a slam on the intelligence of AK fauna go un checked... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

More hunters in the woods+ more time in the woods= more accidents. SO, one could argue (statistically) that if you hunt WITHOUT a round in the chamber and LOSE an opportunity to harvest (and thus, leave the woods) YOU are contributing to HIGHER numbers of hunting "accidents" in the woods by NOT having a ROUND chambered.

If you have left the woods, you have decreased the hunter density and therefore you cannot be the victim or cause of a gun accident.

EXACTLY MY POINT-- if not having a round chambered causes you to miss an opportunity-- you are in the woods LONGER. Thus, INCREASING hunter density.

????

IV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess if you're a box a year shooter and spend most of your time sitting in your easy chair angsting about shit like this, it would be best if you didn't have a round in the chamber nor the rifle out of the case for that matter. Just leave the rifle in the case and the case in the truck and if you see a game animal, go back to the truck, get the rifle, have Andy give you a bullet, and then, being berry, berry quyte, neak up on the animal and then load the bullet and shoot.
And no chicken little bullshit please about shooting one of my loved ones. I've got two grown sons that probably know more about gun safety than 99% of the posters in this joke of a thread. Hell, my wife probably knows more than most in here.
Wonder how many PETA trolls we have in here.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by IdahoVandal:
quote:
quote:

EXACTLY MY POINT-- if not having a round chambered causes you to miss an opportunity-- you are in the woods LONGER. Thus, INCREASING hunter density.

????

IV

I think we are experiencing a failue to communicate here. Evidently, you meant that I miss an opportunity, I then return to or remain in the woods longer, thus exposing myself to future accidents (that can only be caused by loaded guns). I guess I mis-read "if you hunt WITHOUT a round in the chamber and LOSE an opportunity to harvest (and thus, leave the woods)..."

So the final comparison that needs to be made is as follows: Does the risk associated with heightened hunter density that results directly from your scenario outweigh the risk associated with a slightly lesser density of hunters all hunting with loaded chambers?

What say you?

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by iwzbeeman:
I guess if you're a box a year shooter and spend most of your time sitting in your easy chair angsting about shit like this, it would be best if you didn't have a round in the chamber nor the rifle out of the case for that matter. Just leave the rifle in the case and the case in the truck and if you see a game animal, go back to the truck, get the rifle, have Andy give you a bullet, and then, being berry, berry quyte, neak up on the animal and then load the bullet and shoot.
And no chicken little bullshit please about shooting one of my loved ones. I've got two grown sons that probably know more about gun safety than 99% of the posters in this joke of a thread. Hell, my wife probably knows more than most in here.
Wonder how many PETA trolls we have in here.

Yes, e-campfire debates quibble over minutae that would cause an academic to blush...

And the best part about this one as that both sides have essentially agreed to similar situations where they would and would not have a round in the pipe, but that is a tedious detail that simply detracts from the fun... Big Grin beer

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Okay, in the spirit of clear and concise communication:

Yes, I believe the risk of higher hunter densities outweighs the risk of having everyone with a loaded chamber.

Certainly we should be able to find/fund a graduate student project and answer this most important question once and for all!
(That was a joke for any participants who may take this forum/discussion a little to seriously....) moon

IV

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

Yes, I believe the risk of higher hunter densities outweighs the risk of having everyone with a loaded chamber.

Beep, beep, beep, let's back this truck up a bit here. I agree that higher densities of hunters will increase the chances of an accident. BUT, here we are talking about the incremental increase in hunter density that is directly attributed to a hunter losing an opportunity because of an emptied-chambered rifle and then choosing to remain in the woods. We are comparing this extremely tiny increase in hunter density, to the entire population of hunters hunting with loaded chambers...

I think the latter is clearly the dominant factor in accident frequency...

But I don't think you expected me to agree... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After re reading some of these posts......and especially the ones being posted by a couple of the childish hotheads on here a few things was noticed. It shouldnt matter to me, nor you if I do or dont. The choices we make are ours and there is no sense attacking a persons values for not agreeing with yours. Some of the people who chose to chamber a round think the ones who dont are idiots and do not practice safe hunting. I assure you nothing could be further from the truth for the hunters I hunt with. To suggest a hunter who carries around a rifle without a round in the chamber is unsafe is simply ignorant. I am sorry I started this thread to see it drop to childish insults. I am done with this.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
If I am hunting alone which is the case most of the time. I pretty much am locked and loaded. As soon as I get back to the truck or to camp I empty the chamber . But at the same time I almost always have a loaded handgun that stays loaded .

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Yep its gone to hell in a handbasket

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
After re reading some of these posts......and especially the ones being posted by a couple of the childish hotheads on here a few things was noticed. It shouldnt matter to me, nor you if I do or dont. The choices we make are ours and there is no sense attacking a persons values for not agreeing with yours. Some of the people who chose to chamber a round think the ones who dont are idiots and do not practice safe hunting. I assure you nothing could be further from the truth for the hunters I hunt with. To suggest a hunter who carries around a rifle without a round in the chamber is unsafe is simply ignorant. I am sorry I started this thread to see it drop to childish insults. I am done with this.

Aw poor thing. You just mad because you expected when you started this thread that most people would agree with you, but it didnt happen that way.
Because you didnt get your way you want to get all mad and sul up.
Want me to go home and cry for you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod,
Just one last comment before I run back home and cry to my mommy. The hothead I was referring to was you.
I agree with your RMiller, my handguns are always loaded.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
How do they celebrate Halloween in Kentucky ??

they pump kin

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jarrod,
Just one last comment before I run back home and cry to my mommy. The hothead I was referring to was you.
I agree with your RMiller, my handguns are always loaded.

I knew exactly that you were referring to me. That's why I asked if you wanted me to go home and cry for you.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
How do they celebrate Halloween in Kentucky ??

they pump kin

Talk about having a small mind. I feel sorry for you if that is the most intelligent response that you can come up with.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
btt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in MN I worked for Ford Motor Credit auditing farm machinery dealers. A dlr in western MN was hobbling around on a felt boot liner in bad pain. He pulled down a boot with the top of the foot blown out off a shelf behind him.

He said they'd been deer hunting, jumping in and out of a pickup all day chasing deer in small patches of woods all over the area. He said they were always careful to empty the shotguns before casing and jumping in the vehicles. He said he missed a slug, slid the cased shotgun in the truck next to him barrel down when it went off blowing off a toe. He was ashamed of himself but said he was going to keep the boot on the shelf behind him to show people how dangerous life can be.

He told me on to tell the dealer in the next town to tell "Niner", an employee at the dealership, that there was two "Niners"in the county now. The first Niner had shot off a toe doing the same thing.

Sometimes a loaded gun can be as dangerous as a loaded one.

TED

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the people here are arguing but not really disagreeing on some of these points. Some of them are just plain crazy, ...cough...Jarrod...cough, yeah you,

Frankly I doubt very much that snowwolf cares what you guys do, I know I don't. I actually would like you to keep going one in the chamber with the hopes that you might blow your hand off and be unable to type your crap on here anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting read. Lots of good advice.

Seems like some folks seem to think that they way they do it is "THE ONLY WAY".

Only one mention of horse back hunting by 465H&H, whose preferance is unloaded while on the horse.

Mine too, AND I take the time to check each and every guest who is with me on horse hunting trips, each and every time, that their guns do not have a chambered round in the scabbord. It would only take one dead horse to screw up the entire year...

The rest of the time how and when I chamber a round is pretty much like the other level headed folks on this thread. I won't go into detail because it just doesn't matter what I do unless I'm hunting with you.

If you and me are hunting together (walking), our chambers WILL be empty untill we take a stand or are otherwise stationary or splitt apart. If you don't want to do this you will find yourself hunting by yourself.

I've never missed an opportunity to harvest an animal because I chose to keep my chamber empty. Still hunting through the dark timber by myself it IS prudent to chamber a round, eh?

Funny how some folks want to impose their will on others on a subject like this. There's info to learn here just listening to what others in other parts of the country do.

Jarred - you seriously need to grow up.

Posts: 49 | Location: Upper Michigan | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up still hunting in the Pacific Northwest,aand we always put one in the chamber. I was taught the importance of muzzle awareness right away.

Posts: 61 | Location: FT Carson CO | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Rider:
Interesting read. Lots of good advice.

Seems like some folks seem to think that they way they do it is "THE ONLY WAY".

Only one mention of horse back hunting by 465H&H, whose preferance is unloaded while on the horse.

Mine too, AND I take the time to check each and every guest who is with me on horse hunting trips, each and every time, that their guns do not have a chambered round in the scabbord. It would only take one dead horse to screw up the entire year...

The rest of the time how and when I chamber a round is pretty much like the other level headed folks on this thread. I won't go into detail because it just doesn't matter what I do unless I'm hunting with you.

If you and me are hunting together (walking), our chambers WILL be empty untill we take a stand or are otherwise stationary or splitt apart. If you don't want to do this you will find yourself hunting by yourself.

I've never missed an opportunity to harvest an animal because I chose to keep my chamber empty. Still hunting through the dark timber by myself it IS prudent to chamber a round, eh?

Funny how some folks want to impose their will on others on a subject like this. There's info to learn here just listening to what others in other parts of the country do.

Jarred - you seriously need to grow up.

People on here make stupid jokes like

quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
How do they celebrate hallowen in Kentucky
they pump kin.

and you say that I need to grow up. I've been grown up for a very long time now, but it does seem as if natural stupidity is here to stay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The group I hunt with all have a their rifles loaded in magazine and chamber whenever we are hunting! Lots of times when we're walking a roadway (woods road) to go hunting, some of us will have our firearms unloaded. Whoever is in front, always has a loaded firearm!

We never have a gun loaded on an ATV, truck, car, etc! LEGAL DEFFINITION OF A LOADED GUN IN NY STATE IS: a round in the chamber or magazine!
A round in the magazine constitutes a loaded firearm!

Makes me wonder about Muzzle Loading season! Do some of you, NOT cap your ML until you see a deer! If we did that around here, there wouldn't be very many deer taken!

I can understand not loading your gun until a "shooter" deer is spotted, when you're in a situation like on the outdoor channel where you have someone with you and they will tell you whether or not you are permitted to shoot a certain deer!

Another point: Sometimes a deer will hear a hunter move the safety from "safe to fire"! Now, when you chamber a round when your shooter deer is spotted, some rifles would sound almost like a car crash to the deer, especially with the noise that some autoloaders make!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote