THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    IF YOU could bring back an extinct specie for hunting...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IF YOU could bring back an extinct specie for hunting...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Mammoth and Irish elk Woolen rhino, as that would suit the norwegian climat .
And it would probably teach tourist to keep a distance to them.

On a museum in Oslo there is a antler of the Irish elk there , those horn looks like a gigantic fallow deer, it doesnt have the long oikes on the horn as these illustrations here have , they have disappeared through they years. but at 3,2 meters wide, they are magnificent .

they could probably have been 4 meters with the whole rack on.

Atlacatl is the throwin help used on the spear. It was also used with spear tip that on impact sat in tatrge and the spear handle was forced back in the recoil so that the hunter could ran forward and pick it up again. That sounds interrestin if the dinner is a wooly rhino or bear...

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Another vote for mammoth........ I think T-Rex would probably be the ultimate DG hunt, though!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mastadon AND Mammoth, they WERE different species.

Velociraptor? only if they are "real" sized instead of the Movie version which is three times as tall/long as the real thing.
(The real ones were 2ft tall and only about 45lbs)

Phorusrhacoids (aka "Terror birds", "Phorusrhacos") large flightless predators, some of which weighed upwards of 120Kilos, and they make the real Velociraptor
look like a lap animal.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

The Haast Eagle. It used to hunt ostrich sized moas here and after man had killed off the moas the Haast eagle started hunting humans.

This pissed the humans off a bit so they went out hunting eagle nests to make omlettes, thus killing off the largest predatory bird to have flown.

No steel shot allowed on these suckers!!!

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Any of the originak forms of Bison that first migrated to North America. About twice the size of modern bison, body wise and over 6 feet between horn tips. Also some of the more interesting species of the earliest pronghorns.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
I'd also like to add the Giant Short-Faced Bear.

In Griffith Park, of course.

Ah, yes, the Giant Short Faced Bear. About 25 per cent larger than any bear alive today, with much longer legs that allowed it to outrun a horse short or long distance. Big enough to stand on its hind legs and look into a second storey window. Believed to have a truly nasty disposition. It could catch and eat anything it wanted and apparently did so; some scientists have said that until the Short Faced Bear went extinct about 13 thousand years ago, human occupation of this hemisphere was impossible. Talk about your dangerous game!

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr rigby:
Woolen rhino, as that would suit the norwegian climat .

You beat me to it - "WOOLY RHINO". They would be great to see.

Another that hasn't been mentioned is the "GIANT SLOTH". They may have been slow but they basicly had NO Predetors once the reached adulthood. I guess they were 15+ feet tall. And they could kill a sabertooth with a swat of their paw. "Use Enuff Gun?" I wonder what would be enuff? BOOM

Or any Ice Age deer species - They all seemed to have huge racks!! jumping

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dodo bird. Would love to call in a "Tom" and blast him with my 870.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
another vote for the 25% larger american lion

the veloceraptor would be the most dangerous of dangerous game for humans...pack hunting and quickness...did you hear something....arghghhhugh!!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I saw a programme on Discovery once about a Russian hunter on Chamtchtka that had shot a unusual bear ,he had the picture of the hide as the wasnt any possibllity to get the carcass to Moscow for research purposes.

However the bear had moved so fast as ahorse and so tall like a horse. the natives there said that they man times seen the "God Bear" as they calle dit. that must have been the Sloth bear. Well f that excist ,does much other also excist.

Well is that why americas was populated so late, as people from siberia tried to cross over,but a gigant bear that could run very fast aswell stoped them?

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LawCop:

Definitely T-Rex. I want revenge! As a retired lawyer, I saw "Jurassic Park" and I haven't forgotten that damn critter made his first kill on a lawyer (in an outhouse, no less!) Oh,yes, I want payback!

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IdahoVandal:

I read the line at the bottom of your post "Save a mule deer...Kill a whitetail". As an old Easterner I want to know what you Westerners have against the whitetail- that gentle beast that my politicians around here where I live have told me is Bambi! (I wrote this jokingly but I really am curious. Is there some kind of interplay of the two species that is harmful? Years ago, hunting ducks in north central Canada, I encountered the interplay between black ducks and mallards. The mallards were slowly wiping out the blacks by cross breeding. Same thing?)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking the Aurochs. They haven't been gone all that long either.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marylin Monroe for the ultimate "spear" hunt. Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
gerrys375:

I am researching whitetail-mule deer hybridization and a number of effects that may be a result of it. In areas of NE Washington state, evidence suggests as whitetail numbers go up, mule deer numbers go down. Traditional thinking has been that the whitetail are just "filling a void" left by the decline in mule deer; i.e the converse of the previous statement (when mule deer numbers go down, whitetail numbers go up) we believe that hybridization may play a more significant role than previously thought. By no means do we think this explains the overall decline of the mule deer throughout the west, but it may be a small piece of the puzzle in areas where mule deer and whitetails are sympatric. Current literature suggests hybridization occurs very, very rarely. The few studies that have actually looked for it have found levels to be between 4%-6% of deer thought to be one or the other are hybrids. LEvels may acually be higher than the studies suggested because of the time of year sampling was conducted (in the late fall and winter) many of the hybrids may have already been killed by pedators and thus biased the sampling. We are looking at actual deer killed by cougars we have radio collared throughout NE WAshington to see if the proportion of hybridization amongst deer killed by cougars is statistically significantly higher than the proportion of hybrids amongst the established population. The best info I can offer if your interested is to suggest Dr. Valerius Geists' book "Mule Deer Country" which is oft available on E-Bay for around $10. It has a chapter that explains the entire theory and the ramifications of hybridization. I became very interested in the research a few years back and realized that no one had really tested (in a scientific sense) the theory, so that is what I am doing in grad school. Securing funding has been challenging because genetic work on deer is just not that popular right now-- most of the money for deer research is tied up in management and most of the money for genetics research is geared towards endangered species, but we are moving along!
IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerrys375:
LawCop:

Definitely T-Rex. I want revenge! As a retired lawyer, I saw "Jurassic Park" and I haven't forgotten that damn critter made his first kill on a lawyer (in an outhouse, no less!) Oh,yes, I want payback!

I DOn'T know... I have my BAR card and spent a few years as a prosecutor... and I had a really good laugh when the lawyer got chopped. rotflmo

Then again, after spending about 27+ years as a cop, well... not a lot of love lost betwen the two. pissers
both sides sometimes take themselves waaaayyyyy toooo seriously.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go with mr rigby on the Irish elk and wooly rhino. The elk would be impressive with it's span!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote