THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What do you think of the TC Encore Rifles?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of the TC Encore Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys think of hunting wiht a TC Encore Rifle. I have a Encore Muzzy and am thinging about
hunting with it for a Oryx and Mule deer Hunt. I am hunting with Jim Shockeys outfit for a Desert Mule deer hunt, and I think
it would be cool to use the gun they use. Call me a dork, but I think Jim Shockey is the Cats Ass of the hunting world. And I Think the rifles look cool as heck. I would use them for Dangerous game, but other big game seems pretty cool
Tell me what you think. I have bolt rifles that work, this would just be for fun.
W.SmilerSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Let me be first...

quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
What do you guys think of hunting with a TC Encore Rifle?
The only time I hunt with a single shot is my M/L....I would use a bolt gun.

I have an Encore Muzzy and am thinking about
hunting with it for an Oryx and Mule deer Hunt. I am hunting with Jim Shockeys outfit for a Desert Mule deer hunt, and I think
it would be cool to use the gun they use.
I on the other hand would think it would be "cool" if you killed your animals...regardless of your rifle choice

Call me a dork, but I think Jim Shockey is the Cats Ass of the hunting world.
Dork!!

And I Think the rifles look cool as heck.
I think they look like a single shot shotgun...but way overpriced.

I would use them for Dangerous game, but other big game seems pretty cool
Tell me what you think. I have bolt rifles that work, this would just be for fun.
It sounds like an expensive hunt....It's your money, have fun!!.......Dork

W.SmilerSmiler

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably know this already, but television personalities endorse whatever products pay the bills. Hunting and fishing celebrities are no different. That is simply how the business works. They produce the show, sponsors pay the money to get their products on TV.

It's seldom the case that their personal choice or favorite products are also a sponsor.

I don't know Jim Shockey personally, and mean him no disrespect. Maybe privately he really does love his Encore and think they are the "Cats Ass", but I doubt it.

I think you should shoot whatever rifle you have that's appropriate for the game in question, and you shoot the best.

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used my encore fore whitetails and moose. I used a 30/06 barrel for 3 whitetails two years ago and killed my moose this year with a 209x50 barrel. I really can't find anything wrong with the encore. THey are generally pretty accurate, dependable and fairly compact and light.

There really isn't any dissadcantage to hunting with a single shot. One well placed shot trumps three fast misplaced ones every time.

If you like it and can shoot it well I don't see why it wouldn't be a fine choice. I have a 30/06 barrel for general big game, 22-250 barrel for predators, and a 209x50 barrel. All shoot very well and have proven effective in the field. The 209x50 with 777 magnum pellets is easy to load and accurate out of my rifle. Effectiveness of the 250gr barnes sabot @ 2000fps was impressive on a large cow moose this fall.

THey are also a very inherrently safe platform. I will be keeping an eye out for a 308 barrel for my encore for my son to use as he gets older. He is left eye dominant and it is the only oen of my rifles that left/righ handed doesn't matter.

AS for dangerous game hunting. I might not grab it for a dedicated brown bear hunt, but I wouldn't think twice about shooting a big bear with one if thats what I had on me when I came across one. You would be surprised how fast you can reload a encore when needed. Especially with a cartridge holder on the butstock and a pair of live rounds held between the fingers of the supporting hand.

Here is my moose shot with peep sighted encore 209x50 with 2 777 magnum pellets and 250gr barnes expander mz. shot at point of the shoulder 70 yards away quartering towards me, exited off side ribs, moose didn't travel over 20 feet. It was as quick a kill as I have seen on moose.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the gun itself, but I hate the stock design as shooting one results in getting whacked under the chin. They obviously do notfit me and I would not own one for that reason.

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have broken 2 plastic forarms on 2 seperate rifles. I don't like it at all, that and the bastard kicks me in the face.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I meant to say I would NOT use them for dangerous game. On my hunt with Jim SHockeys outfit for Balck bear, (did I tell you I think he's the Cats Ass)Smiler I am glad I got a second shot into my boar very quickly.
Thanks again,
W.Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shocky shoots them because he is paid extremely well to do so. I have personally screwed up enough shots in 60 years of hunting to want a quick backup shot. I hate, really hate , seeing an animal suffer, particularly if I have something to do with it, so I use bolt rifles.

I have a .44 mag Contender that will hit a two inch target at 75 yards, but that's a handgun. I wouldn't own one of the rifles. They are truly butt ugly.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Can you put a Bipod on one of these guns.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I like them quite a bit . . . I have quite a few barrels as does my wife. How much do I/we like them? 2 Encores, 6 barrels; 3 Contenders, 7 barrels . . .

Most of ours (all custom barrels, btw, except one 10" contender barrel) are exceptionally accurate (sub-MOA) and with custom stocks - fitted quite precisely for us. I did notice that when I had one with factory stocks that recoil was less manageable (with a 280 Rem), but I'm now shooting a 9.3x74R with 300 gr A-frames and recoil isn't a problem. I can't say how much this is due to the custom stock vs how much is due to me being a more practiced shooter.

The only negative that we can report is to keep the locking-lug area CLEAN, because if its not CLEAN it won't lock, if it won't lock, you can't pull back the hammer. My wife opened and closed her Encore (.358 Win) a half a dozen times in Namibia this past June with an Eland bull at the waterhole before it would lock. She took the bull . . . and learned a lesson about her rifle at the same time. There was some sort of particles in there - not dust, I think it was some sort of piece of vegetation.

Some might view this as a criticism of the rifle - I'm sure our PH saw it that way. I tend to view it along the lines of "user error".

Troy Hibbitts

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own one of them, but to each their own.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
The stock does not fit or feel good to me. I also do not think it is an attractive rifle. I have a few single shot bolt actions so I am not against single shots.

They are one of the most versitle rifles and most of them that buddies have owned have been accurate.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

If you are hunting with Shockey you are paying a premium for the hunt. Why would you not want to give yourself the best possible chance to be successful? Here is a real scenario. You make a poor shot one the first attempt and gut shoot the deer. It happens to all of us. While you are trying to reload the animal covers 100 yards in the open where you could have got off one or two more shots with a bolt gun. By the time you are reloaded with your TC the deer has disappeared into the bush. There is almost no blood and you just can't find the deer. You feel like shit. Don't take the single shot.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12934 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The Encores and Contenders are definitely an acquired taste, and to me, you do need a good aftermarket stock such as those from highplainsgunstocks.com to get the proper eye-to-scope alignment.

But they handle well, can be exceptionally accurate and – once you are intimately familiar with their handling – can be reloaded nearly as fast as one can operate a bolt gun. I’ve taken as many as four hogs at a time using them, have done at least one double on coyotes (another double with an XP) and would not feel undergunned using these rigs in any situation.

The top 3 photos show High Plains stock sets. While these are on Contenders, they are available for the Encore format as well..

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you shoot it well, then take it. If you take to heed the advise you've been given, nothing less than a semi-auto 50 BMG is acceptable.

Posts: 68 | Location: AK, MN winter | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an Encore in 7mmRemMag in 2003 and quickly decided it was too awkward and heavy for hunting. The factory extra barrels were about $225 at the time. In my opinion, they are glorified H&R Handi Rifles and way overpriced!

In 2006, I sold the rifle and extra barrel for a major loss because nobody wanted to buy it locally.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

See Steve...cat's ass NOT dog's bollocks! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36893 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i bought one from a member here last year and like it. i bought it in .25-06 and took an antelope with it this year, which is why i bought it. i have since bought a 209x50 barrel, and will eventually pick up a .22-250.

when i went after mule deer this year though, my rem 700 in 7RM went with me. i think they are fine guns, accurate, i dont notice any bad recoil and i like the stock. but i do like having those extra round underneath my bolt for quick follow up shots if necessary. so this gun will probably be for varmints and light stuff and mz. the bolt guns will tag along for anything else.

just personal preference man, take what you like. just be sure to practice with whatever you take as much as you can. be ready for that shot, you may only get one. if its anything like my mulie hunt this year, it was a long shot at that, so be sure you have confidence in your ability and equipment.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

See Steve...cat's ass NOT dog's bollocks! Wink

Lane,

Yes my friend, but you guys can't even spell arse properly so I'm even more confused! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Encore and Contender frames that I shoot as Rifles and Pistols.I am very happy with them.One is a 50 cal muzzle loader and it will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. with 100 grs of triple Seven and a 45 cal 250 gr.Hornady Sabot bullet.All my Rifle barrels shoot sub inch groups at 100 and my Custom 6.5 X 55 does it at 200 yds.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would have to pay me as much as Shockey and Tim H to even pick one up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
Well, I took everyones advice dancing and sent out my encore frame and it will come back with a new and fixed up everything from trigger pull to frame pins to and springs and all that good stuff, plus, an New Custom Barrell.
Heck, If I dont like it, My Muzzleloader will be all ready to go, and I'll sell the barrell.
tu2
Thanks again,
W.Smiler

posted Hide Post
Good call. Hunt who you want to hunt with. Shoot want you want to shoot with. It's your trip, do what makes you happy.

I've been hunting with Contenders mostly but Encores too sometimes. They work just fine. I hunt with a bow and muzzleloader too so I don't understand why people feel handicapped with a highpowered rifle just because it's a single shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sold all of my Encores and traded the Contender for a N.I.B. Colt 6" Anaconda.I am much happier now.
I never spent more time and money getting any rifle on paper than on a T/C anything."Americas Gun Maker" my eye !

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosualc:
You probably know this already, but television personalities endorse whatever products pay the bills. Hunting and fishing celebrities are no different. That is simply how the business works. They produce the show, sponsors pay the money to get their products on TV.

It's seldom the case that their personal choice or favorite products are also a sponsor.

I don't know Jim Shockey personally, and mean him no disrespect. Maybe privately he really does love his Encore and think they are the "Cats Ass", but I doubt it.

I think you should shoot whatever rifle you have that's appropriate for the game in question, and you shoot the best.

-nosualc

Jim Shockey is a hell of a hunter, but let's face it, those of us who have been around know he used to have a different "best rifle in the world."

TC is obviously paying a huge amount of money to put their guns on TV and in print. They recently laid off a bunch of employees, so it must not be getting the results they wanted.

BTW, the buiness of endorsing products is relatively new, as is the practice of acting like a "consultant" when you are ostensibly a writer. If you are paid to endorse, either in kind or with money, you are now supposed to state that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard they can be accurate rifles, lots of custom barrels, etc., but I refuse to hunt with an ugly gun.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't blow my skirt up and I wouldn't get any rush out of using one. However, it obviously means something to you and it's your hunt so go for it. That's what this stuff is all about, doing it the way you personally want to do it so it'll create memories that mean something to you. The only one you've got to please is yourself.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
What do you guys think of hunting wiht a TC Encore Rifle. I have a Encore Muzzy and am thinging about hunting with it for a Oryx and Mule deer Hunt. I am hunting with Jim Shockeys outfit for a Desert Mule deer hunt, and I think
it would be cool to use the gun they use. Call me a dork, but I think Jim Shockey is the Cats Ass of the hunting world. And I Think the rifles look cool as heck. I would use them for Dangerous game, but other big game seems pretty cool.

W.SmilerSmiler

I think you're about the first person I know of that has referred to the Encore as looking "cool as heck." I like them and the way they look but they're an acquired taste and I thinks many other guns look cooler.

I also like Jim Shockey's show. His show and Craig Boddington's Tracks Across Africa are the only two hunting shows I watch regularly. They both speak good English and don't feel the need to embelish and add excitement to their shows with rock music.

I have quite a number of guns to choose from but the ones I use by far the most are Encores and Contenders. I also started using them years before I knew Jim Shockey existed.

So, I don't necessarily think Encores look "cool as heck" but I really like them.

A Klipspringer taken from about 180 yards with a T/C Encore handgun chambered in 460 S&W Magnum.

This was my best shot last year. A crow taken at 311 yards with a T/C Contender chambered in 204 Ruger.

A racoon taken from a bit over 270 yards with a T/C Encore chambered in 300 Win. Mag.

A Red Hartebeest taken with an Encore handgun chambered in 460 S&W Magnum.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
I think you're about the first person I know of that has referred to the Encore as looking "cool as heck." I like them and the way they look but they're an acquired taste and I thinks many other guns look cooler.

I also like Jim Shockey's show. His show and Craig Boddington's Tracks Across Africa are the only two hunting shows I watch regularly. They both speak good English and don't feel the need to embelish and add excitement to their shows with rock music.

So true, not many on the hunting shows don't speak Southern or Mainuh!

Nice to see a few that actually speak English.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here are 2 more reasons I like Encores (though I prefer Contenders). Took this double on bobcats 2 mornings ago. So who says they can't be reloaded fast??? Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of guys like them and use them, but I still find nothing attractive about them. That said, I want one, a contender or encore, as a scoped handgun I can carry in the saddle bags of my Harley to ride up the local mtn. passes and hunt marmots in the fall. Now that would make one pretty cool for me.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They aren't really my thing, but can see the appeal especially for someone who wants to shoot a lot of different chamberings.

My biggest complaint with them is that the trigger is pretty poor in comparison to other designs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Here are 2 more reasons I like Encores (though I prefer Contenders). Took this double on bobcats 2 mornings ago. So who says they can't be reloaded fast??? Smiler

Bobby,

Since nobody said it, I will. That is one hell of a morning you had. Wow.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CVA Apex is the way to go. Uses the same barrle manufacture as TC it is way more comfortable to sholder and about 300 buck less

Posts: 14 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
They do not use the same barrel manufacturer. Every TC barrel is made in house...I have been there and seen it multiple times. Don't know if it is still the case, but the problem with the CVAs in the past is that they were made from a lower grade Spanish steel (parent company is in Spain as well).

I assure you all those TC barrels have been made in NH- by hand at that. As a matter of fact, every part down to the screws is made in that factory. It is a really neat process to see. Whether you like the guns or not, like the look or not...they are accurate, and they are 100% made in USA by hand...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my first Contender in 1970. I got my first Encore (a gift) in 1999. I have hunted for the most part with these single shots in both pistol and carbine configuration for all these years and not felt the least bit under gunned. I have taken over 200 head of big game with the contender handgun and found it completely reliable. And fun to boot.
When I have hunted with bolt guns or other repeating firearms I have never taken a second shot that I could not have accomplished with a single shot firearm. I also hunt with muzzle loaders and have taken a second shot with them effectivly on occassion. I use the contenders and encores for varmints and preditors as well and have gotten mulitple shots with them in short fashion when necessary. I reckon I like them enough to always have them around. Currently have 9 Contender frames and 11 barrels and 5 Encore frames and 7 barrels.
Yeh I have Handi rifles as well.
FWIW I have never had a CVA product that I liked as well as either of the T/C products.
And I ain't gettin paid to sponser them.
YMMV

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Just curious what rifling process does TC use to rifle their barrels.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I do get paid by TC, but I was just trying to lay out some info. I wasn't touting how much I like them, etc. (though I really do), just some things I know from personal experience being in the factory a few times.

BigB...I am pretty ignorant about gunsmithing...they call it R5...what I remember is the raw steel, and the guys boring them out with augers and a lot of oil (much hands on). Then after they got it to whatever bore size the barrel would be, they sent it to another guy for the rifling, etc. Sorry I can't be more specific...I am just not a tech gun guy...

Another cool thing is that every single piece (I mean the end piece of a hammer, the hinge pin, the actual receiver, etc.) are all individually made by making an individual wax mold, pouring it full of steel, then cooled, the mold is broken away, and you have the part. Then wax is resued for more and more molds. I thought it was really neat how they make a new mold for every piece, every time. I just assumed they stamped most of them out when possible.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are button rifled.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
OLBIKER,

Thanks, I was assuming they were button rifled but could not find it on their website. They do seem to make a good barrel as the ones I have seen shoot well.

BigB