THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    anyone hunt with the 9.3x64 brenneke???????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone hunt with the 9.3x64 brenneke???????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
wanted to throw a hail mary and see if there are any brenneke users out there...was thinking of making one...maybe in a pump or lever action jump

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3x64 that is built on a mauser 98 action.I think a lever or a pump would be a poor choice for this caliber but I guess its your money. Very nice calibre. Great moose and bear gun. Swift A-frames in 250 and 300 gr are very effective as are 286 gr Partions and 293 gr Tug bullets. The 250 gr BT bullets improve trajectory and one of them worked pretty good on a decent sized Manitoba whitetail last fall. The Tug bullets (if you can find them)are surprizingly effective. The wadcutter ring on the front of the bullet seems to "cut" a clean hole on the way in that allows the wound to bleed as much as most exit holes. They also penetrate well. I've never recovered one from game but they sure work.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3584ELK:
I had a Mauser Sporting Rifle rebored to this caliber. It weighs 7# and kicks more than I care to think about. It is a very powerful cartridge. If you get one, I have some loads worked up I can share. I have yet to kill any game with it yet (it's too pretty to hunt with everyday). I get brass from Huntington and bullets are not hard to find. Speer 270 gr Semi- spitzers are $12/ 50, the Swifts and such are higher, obviously.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/229171.jpg[/IMG]

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
please share.... beer

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick I have a 9.3x62 in a cz 550 and thoughts had run through my mind to have it turned into the 64 version as it is a re-chamber and slight bolt mods. But I thought I have low recoil and heavy power from my little cz, it holds 5 down and one in the chamber and is just a managable round. I also have a .375 H&H and with the 9.3x62 and the .375 there is a power level difference while the 64 version would be identical if not better than the .375 H&H and maybe that should have been the round to kick on rather than the .375 H&H.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine shot plains game with a Blaser R93 Synthetic in 9.3x64. Did just fine, but I'm not sure I noticed much difference in performance on game between it and my Blaser R93 Synthetic in 9.3x62. His x64 definitely kicked more than my x62, even with the Kick-Stop added on his and absent on mine. He also had a big Schmidt & Bender scope on his, while mine carried a compact Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X, so figure the overall weight of his rig was a pound or two heavier than mine.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 9.3x64 for awhile then sold it to Med358 who posts here....I think it is probably the best all around rifle in the world, in fact, better than the .375 in that catagory...

However I am such a 9.3x62 fan that I reverted back to it for no particular reason other than it always did everything I asked of it...

I shot a few buff and plainsgame with the 9.3x64 and it worked fine as did the 9.3x62...

You'll like it....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I'm new to this site -hope to learn a lot and meet new people.
I also thought of changing my 9.3x62 to the 64 but I love it so much I'll never do it.
Anycase- whatever you shoot with it just fall over.

Posts: 4 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
wanted to throw a hail mary and see if there are any brenneke users out there...was thinking of making one...maybe in a pump or lever action jump

I have to agree with Snowman on this one. Stick with a bolt action, pumps and levers were designed for use with standard cartridges. Using a pump or lever action with that much power is just begging for problems.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could buy the pump gun already in .35 whelen...........thats almost a 9.3x62 which inturn is only a length behind the 9.3x64 Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One reason for the higher popularity of the 9,3x62 (a true bread-and-butter cartridge around here, nearly ubiquitous) is, apart from its more suitable case dimensions, the easy availability of many different loads and ammo brands.

With cheap Russian ammo now made for the 9,3x64, this may change... presently, lots of used 9,3x64 rifles are for sale in Germany. A buyer's chance.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one. Mauser action, Krupp 26" barrell. I love it. Desvastator for Red Deer. Long shot with RWS 258 gr. Excellent cartridge.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote