Find
Notify
Tools

Blind hog finds some acorns.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Well after the Dr's. visit yesterday, I decided that since we were between clients, I needed the ingredients for turkey McNuggets. I was going to take Lora out since she ain't ever hunted turkeys, but she was not feeling up to it. I fooled around on the computer till a little after 8 a.m., and figgered if I was gonna get something done, I needed to get my act together.

I gather up my calls, decide I am not going to mess with decoys, gun is already in the vehicle and pullout about 8:15 or so.
Get in the gate and parked about 8:30, thje place I am on covers 320 acres and we have been seeing quite a few birds, both longbeards and jakes.

I start working my way thru the pasture periodically calling as I go, but ain't nothing happening. I work my way over to another area and next thing I know I hear a gobble and it sounds close. I set up, call, and a few minutes later get a response. Theses birds had evidently been following me, but not vocalizing.

I switch to a softer call, and then I see these jokers up onm the ridge I had came over. They are strutting back and forth and gobbling, so I hit the call a couple of times, and here they come. I knew they were Jakes, but I did not care.

I was using my Model 60 Marlin in 22 LR. Yes, it is LEGAL, and since I have pay for my own hunting license, I am prone to take legalities over ethics any day.

The first bird came out in the open about 30 yards away and staryted strutting, which promptly got him shot. At the shot, the second bird started to jump on the first bird since it was flopping around, but decided that was not prudent and went to trying to get out of the country. It turned into one of the old shooting gallery deals, where at every shot, the target would make a 180 and head the other direction. every time he goes thru an opening, I am firing off a shot or two.

I don't seem to be having a whole lot of effect until the bird is about 50 yards or so out, and he heads back running left to right, and I clearly hear a hit.

He finally lines out and heads for the top of the ridge they came off of, and at about 70 yards or so, I have on last chance and fire off a shot. In total, after the first shot on the first bird, I shoot at the running bird at least 12 times.

After the last shot, the bird disappears from view, so I don't know if I killed it or not. I gert up and make my way up to where I last saw it, and after looking around for about 5 minutes, I found him piled up about 10 yards from the top of the ridge.

The birds both had 5 to 6 inch long beards, one weighed 20 pounds the other 16.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love eating those young birds and those look like a couple of good ones!

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice day for sure.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a ton of fun to me. Congrats on a double.
It will be three weeks Friday since I've been afield/killed anything and I'm starting to exhibit symptoms of SDD (shooting deficit disorder). I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon through Sunday. Hope to call in a Tom, maybe some varmints and a porker or two. We're getting a little low on pork. Some deep fried turkey nuggets wouldn't be too shabby neither.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SDD (shooting deficit disorder).

I wonder if we started a group for that if we could get some Federal Aid????? shocker shocker shocker beer beer

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And ya had us all feeling bad for you....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And ya had us all feeling bad for you....

Hey, I am still hurt,. but I ain't dead. rotflmo rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In total, after the first shot on the first bird, I shoot at the running bird at least 12 times.

Best part about hunting, shooting! tu2 Glad your out and about.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I admit, that many folks don't view hunting turkeys with a rifle, even a .22RF as "Sporting"/ethical, but DAMN it is fun!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its legal and you had fun.Don`t get much better than that!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
awesome! I have shot stuff all over the world, but never shot a turkey. Congrats.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow - 3 turkeys in the same picture Big Grin shocker rotflmo hilbily

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you just knew somebody was going to do that - right?

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You forgot, 3 bearded turkeys!

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
wow - 3 turkeys in the same picture

Wrong, 2 turkeys and an Asshole, I have a much higher standard than turkeys. shocker shocker beer beer beer