New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter to hunter: Pay it forward.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the past few months, there has been a great many of our fellow members here, cancel hunts all over the world because of the economy. Even larger are the number of folks that have watched their dreams of hunting a far off land, vanish into the hell for 401K plans. So I began to think, what good could come from this. I was short on answers to that question until I realized that I had been thinking about it in the wrong light.

Turmoil, strife and disappointment rule the headlines each morning when we get up. I drink My coffee at 4:30 am every morning before heading to the barn, while reading the early morning head lines from around the world. Just yesterday I was reading something about the very rich needing to cut back on some of the things they have had in the past. Then I read about some of the very poor, the people that depend on others to feed them, going hungry because the money flowing into the programs that feed them had vanished. I ventured out to Bloomberg.com and read about the markets and how those involved are handling the huge day to day losses. Each one that comments to the reporters, fearing for his own wealth, but ready to feast on the carcass of his brother if it would help profits. So I decided that I had seen and heard enough. Enough whining and blubbering by people making the sort of money most of us can't even fathom. Enough corporate begging without the slightest hint of accountability. In short, enough greed.

I am a hunter and I believe the act of hunting defines me as a man, a husband, and father. And believing such led me to come up with the hunter to hunter idea. I live in Northern Wisconsin and the only real game around here are big northern whitetails in the fall So I am offering someone out there to come to Wisconsin next year and enjoy some fall archery hunting on me. I will provide what expertise I have and I'll put you up here at the farm. My wife will prepare the meals and I will show you the best hunting I know of up here. We have a large fifth wheel rv camper that you may stay in, so that you have some privacy. Breakfast and Supper will be at our table and you are welcome to eat all you like. Lunch will be packed and eaten in the field most days. I make no promises that you will kill a deer, let alone the size of the racks, but I promise you it will be a nice time. I am not asking for, nor will I accept payment for this. All I ask is that you get yourself here, buy your license and thoroughly enjoy yourself.

If you're reading this, and whitetails are just not what you seek, or they are all you get to hunt, then I encourage you to reach out in this posting and offer a fellow hunter your time and knowledge of the places you hunt. Surely there are some Black Bear hunters out in Washington or some pig hunters in Texas that could show a fellow hunter a wonderful time. Maybe your thing is Tarpon fishing in the Everglades but you always wanted to hunt the mountains for Mule deer. Please reach down and post what you can do for someone else before accepting the generosity of another here. The best things in life come from the generosity of others and in being generous to another.

Profit makes the world go round but it does little to make lasting memories. Think back on your life and the camp fires that you have shared and see for yourself if the best ones weren't free of charge. Tis' the season as they say, so jump in and make something positive out of all the negative that were are forced to swim in each year. Good luck to all of you the next time you are in the field.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Joe,

You are welcome at my campfire anytime.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

That shows a lot of class! salute

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steven30127
posted Hide Post
Joe...

I think you've hit upon a wonderful idea,....an idea that helps create community. I'd offer you the same thing here in Southern California, but scraggly black tails, rabbits, and an over abundance of bunny huggers doesn't make for the best experience.

Posts: 257 | Location: Aliso Viejo, California | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
What a great thing to do. This is the type of thing that really shows a guy's character.

Nice job Joe clap

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea Joe it will be interesting how far your idea will go. I have always said if every America would go back to making ten dollars a hour how better we would all be. It floors me on how some of our folks in this country will take advantage of fellow humans and still our able to look at themselves in a mirrow and feel good about whats looking back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words folks.

Billm, I don't begrudge a man making a good living. I sell milk for a living and I would love to sell at a higher price than the market sometimes allows. What gets my goat is a guy like the CEO of these investment banks that are begging for money after destroying their company and a great many families livelihoods. Anyway, back to hunting!

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
All I have to offer in Southern Missouri would be a day of smallmouth fishing on one of Missouri's most scenic rivers....Curent River,shallow shoals and deap bluff holes all clear as a bell. What could this trade for?

3 pounders happen

Doubles too

And some realy colorful

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great day Ted. I grew up fishing a river much like the Current, called the Juniata in Pennsylvania. The smallmouth there would rip your arm off for anything Chartreuse.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can offer pheasant hunting in North Dakota. I have 3 dogs and generally hunt by myself. I live in Fargo and there is lots of land around here to hunt. Also have access to lots of land in the Southwest corner of the state. I don't have any ideas for a trade, surprise me. The chance to enjoy a few days with some new friends would be reward enough.

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
All big game in NM is a draw, so there's not much I can offer without conditions. However, I love to call coyotes and could probably be convinced (twist my arm Big Grin) to show someone around the deserts of NM. There are a few quail about that we could chase also. I have a modest house, but if you're nearby or passing through, I'd be happy to spend a day that's not otherwise booked bumping around the desert.

A couple years ago I was invited on a pig hunt in TX by a member here. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and forged a friendship that was further solidified last week when he joined me for an elk hunt. Based on that success, I would say that this idea certainly has merit. thumb

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say that this idea certainly has merit. thumb

I am very glad you think so and thank you.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to try a public land hunt in Wyoming, drop me a line. I will be more than willing to answer any questions, that I can, so you can come out here and try a do-it-yourself hunting trip. January is application time. If you draw a tag in an area I draw or have hunted I show you around.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
It's not big game, but I usually do plenty OK with waterfowl here in MA, and would be proud to take some wayward AR brother out and show them what we do here (divers, puddle ducks and seaducks). Late season is best (mid-december on through the end of the season).

I have but one condition: leave the cracks about liberal Mass vermin at home. Not all of us worship at the heels of the likes of Kennedy or Frank. Wink

Joe, you're a good man. Thanks for starting this.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what an uplifting thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG,

I watched some guys on a hunting show do that some place off Martha's Vineyard. They had blinds that partially submerged. Looked like a blast but colder than hell considering the wind and spray they were taking.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
This is a good thread and shows a lot of class thumb thumb

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old beat up Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that I bought from a friend about six years ago because he needed the money. He was supposed to buy it back, but never did. I have never shot the rifle and it has a big ugly NC Star 4-12X50 scope mounted. The gun is just taking up space in my safe. If anyone CONUS is interested they can have it free of charge.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7, That Sir, is over the top. Perhaps we will have a chance to share something like a good single malt in the future.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Miller:
KG,

I watched some guys on a hunting show do that some place off Martha's Vineyard. They had blinds that partially submerged. Looked like a blast but colder than hell considering the wind and spray they were taking.

Joe

If it was in the water, it sounds like a layout rig to me. Look anything like this?

As far as cold, yep. In general, the colder, the better. See here for a taste of late season ducking up here. Not trying to scare off anyone, mind. It's not always that bad (good). Smiler

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../4121043/m/976102897

A short vid

http://s108.photobucket.com/al...current=MVI_7854.flv

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like I've got a deal worked out on the Savage. I'm posting from my Trio so I'll post full details tomorrow from my computer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
It looks like I've got a deal worked out on the Savage. I'm posting from my Trio so I'll post full details tomorrow from my computer.

I'm back from Christmas shopping so I can explain the deal. I offered a Youth Pronghorn Hunt for 4 days on Private Land here in SE Colorado in exchange for the rifle. Starting opening morning and ending at the end of legal hours on the 4th day of hunting. I'll pay for the Tag (Rifle Season) and Provide my time for the person who gets this hunt. I can provide a spot to camp and transportation on the hunt, plus some meals for the youth and his/her Parent/Guardian. I can not however provide transportation to the ranch outside of Denver or COS airports, professional game processing, shipping of meat or any Taxidermy.

The details on the Tag are I will pay for the Young Hunter's application fee for a Buck Pronghorn Tag in the draw. If successful in the draw I'll provide everything above that I promised. If unsuccessful in the draw I'll guarantee at least a pronghorn doe tag through a landowner voucher.

I'll allow the Parent/Guardian to apply for a doe tag as well and hunt along with the youth. I will guarantee as well a doe tag to the Parent/Guardian as well in the same GMU if unsuccessful in the draw for this trip, but they will have to pay full price for the landowner voucher.

I can not promise a Trophy Class Buck but a good representative animal can be taken as long as the young hunter is able to do his/her part. I will require sighting in of rifles after arrival to know the capabilities of the hunters. I have plenty of area for this hunt and I'm sure that in time allowed we can find a quality animal.

I'd really like this to go to a deserving young man or woman 12-15 years of age who has passed their States hunters education. So I'm going to have to say there will have to be some kind of application process to decide which young hunter gets this opportunity. I'm thinking an essay contest or something similar of sorts.

So I would like to ask Mr. Joe Miller and any other AR Moderator or Member to help out with any ideas on how to find the most deserving Young Hunter. I would like to leave the ultimate decision though to Joe Miller if he would like it since this whole thing is his Brain Child. I just can't think of any better use of this idea of his than to bring new young hunters into the fold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, As Teddy Roosevelt would say BULLY!!!

The essay idea is a fine one and I think the topic should be in keeping with the spirit of this thread.

"How can hunting help your fellow man?"

I am more than willing to discuss other topics as the above topic is the first one that popped into my head. To think that this thread could bring a young person to the game fields for a hunt like this is truly special.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Taylorforce1 posted above, that is the deal I had worked out for the Savage. I'm sure a deserving young person will have a great time on the hunt!

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
You are good man Joe.

salute

Good show show chaps.

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steven30127:
Joe...

I think you've hit upon a wonderful idea,....an idea that helps create community. I'd offer you the same thing here in Southern California, but scraggly black tails, rabbits, and an over abundance of bunny huggers doesn't make for the best experience.

True, but a couple hours east offers some of the best upland bird hunting in the country. That's a thought.

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, just how many hidden treasures does California have out there? I have heard from some that the boar hunting in the northern part is great as well.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In north MS I can offer some whitetail hunting, bass, bream, and catfish fishing with a place to stay. In the spring I could also set-up some hand grabblin' or noodling for large catfish.
Great idea, by the way. Wish I had thought of it.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, how are those big cats to eat? We used to catch channel cats in PA and they were delicious.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They taste fine to me, some folks say that the big ones are not good and you can tell the difference. Not me. If you fillet the fish, I can't tell a large one from a small one.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff, I have always wondered about that.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you draw out for this (youth, adult or mobility impaired) I'll meet you at the airport in Albuquerque, provide a tent and camping gear I have and let you use my truck for the four days (half day scouting and 3 day hunt for rifle (1 1/2 hours north of Albuquerque) and IF it's just you (and not a helper) I'll go with you and show you as much as I know... on AVERAGE, the adult hunters have an 80% success rate and the youth 50%. You DO have to draw out though and there's LOTS of entries. If you want to "tag along" on a hunt that my son draws (if he does) you can do that also... otherwise it's $250 to "tag along." Free with my son and I should we draw out for him. It will be a youth cow hunt for him... he was successful this past season. See the link:

http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/elk/index.aspx

VR
Earl

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn generous Earl. Thank you.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can offer northern Wisconsin Bow deer hunting and grouse hunting. Could even take some one Muskie fishing. Iam open for exchanges.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
f you draw out for this (youth, adult or mobility impaired) I'll meet you at the airport in Albuquerque, provide a tent and camping gear I have and let you use my truck for the four days (half day scouting and 3 day hunt for rifle (1 1/2 hours north of Albuquerque) and IF it's just you (and not a helper) I'll go with you and show you as much as I know... on AVERAGE, the adult hunters have an 80% success rate and the youth 50%. You DO have to draw out though and there's LOTS of entries. If you want to "tag along" on a hunt that my son draws (if he does) you can do that also... otherwise it's $250 to "tag along." Free with my son and I should we draw out for him. It will be a youth cow hunt for him... he was successful this past season. See the link:

http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/elk/index.aspx

VR
Earl

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add one thing to the above post... if you draw for this, I will lend any youth a .308 BAR cut to 12" LOP. It has a 6x Leupold scope... all you should need for this hunt. Sorry about the double posting.

VR
Earl

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is good for the soul.
Merry Christmas
Woodie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure is Woodie.

BTW, I can vouch for the muskie fishing in Northern Wisconsin that P Dog Shooter offered up. I would gladly take someone to one of the lakes here for Muskie, but I am just a novice and not all that good at it myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been taken up on the offer they have made on this thread? I'm curious to see if it was a success.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not me.

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote