THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    New Mexico Elk with daughter and her mom.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Elk with daughter and her mom.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted

Species Hunted: Bull and Cow Elk

Dates: 11/4/17 to 11/8/17

Guides: Jerry Shanley and Mike Martinez

Property: Commercial Property of the Taos Pueblo

Photo Credits: Tina

We secured a landowner bull and cow tag for this hunt and it would be the daughters first hunt. She got interested in hunting a few years ago so I got her a Savage .243. She went got her hunter safety and we made several trips to the range to teach her basic firearms handling and marksmanship. Quick learner. I won’t bother you all with details, as I got my bull the first morning and she got her cow the second morning.

https://i.imgur.com/c1mM9cr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oJyKXFK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GfAuIYc.jpg

If you look at the bull, you’ll notice the antler bases are not the same place on the skull. They are offset. I’ve never seen this before. No appearance of and injury, just a defect.

Lastly, a special thank you to Mike Martinez, Director of Hunting for the Taos Pueblo. He spent a day with us touring and educating us on the Pueblo, the tribal land and took us out to see the tribal bison herd. That made a great trip into something very special. I’m looking forward to returning next year and the daughter is already saving her money.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the girl. she's off to a great start, just don't get in her way now!

Bet once that head is skinned off you'll find some bone damage to the skull.

That's a hell of a bull too! Mighty good area down there, but, costly to hunt it. Right?

Thanks for sharing,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5960 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job, Dad! Congratulations to the young lady.

And that bull's horn placement is weird, nice rack though.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Super job you two.

243 on the cow. Good on 'ya! Wahoo!!

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Very nice! You definitely got a twofore on that one.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the both of you.The bull is unique. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right beam is missing the G3 unless it is there and I am not seeing it. Imagine if it was there!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
looks like a lot of fun! well done, you two!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Yes, that bull had everything to my standards. But what was cool, was the daughter hunting and her mom being on the hunt. They both, in different ways got a lot of clarity on Hunting and conservation. Win-Win for us outdoors-people. Can’t wait until next year.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another example of how well lighter guns work if you don't streatch the range, and place a properly constructed bullet in the right spot..Ive shot a number of elk in my youth with a 25-35, 30-30 and 250 Savage and never lost one. My dad shot 50 or 60 elk with a 25-35 or a 30-30..
All ranching family and most rural hunters in the 40s and 50s used 30-30, 250s, 300 Savages and a few 30-40 Krags....shortly thereafter the 30-06 became king of the elk camps..Levers were fading out except for the Win. 95s in 30-06 or so it seemed to me at the time. Still a few 30-30 and 300 Savages riding in saddle scabbards today.

Super nice bull and congratulation on you bull, your shooting and to a way of life so many miss these days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations all around and thanks for doing your part to get a young person involved in hunting as conservation.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done family!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36846 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulation to you and your family. That is both a really goods bull and very unique at the same time. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote