Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Meat Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you have a favorite meat gun?

I have NULAs, Colt Sauers, Weatherbys, etc in many different cartridges. But when it comes down to the one gun that I have killed deer more regularly, it is my old iron sight Winchester model 94 in 32 Win Spl.

Maybe it is the way I hunt with it that makes it productive, but I just seem to kill more deer with this gun than any of the others. I never practice with the gun, yet it shoulders quickly like my SBE shotgun. I only shoot factory ammo (170 gr) and the deer never seem to go more than 50 feet.

For some reason, it has always produced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag w/Open Sites. Surprisingly effcient killer. Eat right up to the bullet hole. Easy to carry, I have gotten so spoiled I have bought an even lighter GP-100 in .357.

Both Rock.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I also have several custom and semi-custom guns, but my Micro-Medallion in 308 always seems to be a meat getter for me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like i always have something i'm going to use but at the last minute i usually take the old pre-war 300 h-h-it has always seemed like it's a lucky rifle if ya know what i mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive got two go-to guns depending on were im at .
a pre-64 300h&h and a 1886 extralight 45-70.

the 45-70 132 years and counting

Posts: 42 | Location: northwest MT | Registered: 17 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 30 year old Remington Model 700 ADL in 7mm Mag with a 3x9 Leupold scope. I've been carrying this rifle since I was 13 and it is almost an extension of my own arm. I hate to guess how many rounds have gone through it or how many heads of game it has taken.

I've got a lot of more fancy and expensive rifles, including a double rifle and a vintage Mannlicher Schoenauer, but when the chips are down and it's time to put meat in the frezer, this is what I'll be carrying to the field.

It just plains works.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My go to meat gun is one of the first Mod 700 Varmint 7mm08. I had the barrel cut to 20" and crowned. I glassed the bed and floated the barrel and is the best shooting rifle I have ever had in my hands. Never missed a deer with it and never shot one twice. It still has the original VXII 3x9 on it and loads can go to 3 gr over max before any pressure sign shows up.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
It's a close race between an Marlin 30-30 I got when I was 12 and my Trusty Model 700 7RM. I guess I'd have to pic the 7 due to the better range, but they've both slammed a pile of whitetails and Hogs.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.54 flintlock. It's the go-to gun when the going gets tough. A new .45 underhammer is edging in on it, but damn, it is ugly.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
A left handed M788 in 308 Win that I bought in 1975.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Remington 300 Win Mag & TC Encore 50cal BP.

I plan on getting a 308 barrel for the TC Encore with a little luck it will become my favorite switch barrel gun for BP Deer and Regular Season Deer. I like the way the hammer cocks and no extra safety needed.

No hogs yet maybe in the future!

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7x57R/12g BBF by Blaser. Like most others, I usually have plans to take a specific gun, but always seem to grab this one on the way out the door.

Merry Christmas.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 870 12ga pump.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because we are not talking about sport the one I have in my hand when I hungry.

I have killed game with all kinds of guns as long as they shoot when one pulls the trigger it will work.

I would take a long gun over a handgun a rifle over a shot gun. Expect if the meat is small game or fowl.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ruger 338 win mag its 84 shots for 84 deer.When it fires the buck stops here.It has never let me down.I usually shoot it like a double shotgun when I shoot a deer.I pull the safety and trigger at the same time.I love the old safety on the old Ruger 77 and hate the new Mark II safety.I wish more gungs had that kind of safety.I also like guns tha can be opened with the safety on instead of off.I converted all my Ruger 77s with a .50 washer that is from ruger to open on safe.Yep my old 338 Ruger 77 has filled the freezer every year with plenty of meat every time.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is my Winchester .300 Win. Mag.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 33 year old 700BDL in .270 that has been wearing an old style Bell and Carlson Carbolite stock for nearly 2/3 of that time. It just got too easy, so I've been playing with .243, .250, and .257 rifles. When it gets serious however, the old standby comes out!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite with which I've killed more game than with any other rifle, my old...

Remington 725 .280 Remington.

Works every time.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Texasnimrod1960
posted Hide Post
My go to gun is a Winchester 70 Featherweight in .270 with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope. Has killed several truckloads of whitetails over the years.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peakebrook:
Do any of you have a favorite meat gun?

I have NULAs, Colt Sauers, Weatherbys, etc in many different cartridges. But when it comes down to the one gun that I have killed deer more regularly, it is my old iron sight Winchester model 94 in 32 Win Spl.

Maybe it is the way I hunt with it that makes it productive, but I just seem to kill more deer with this gun than any of the others. I never practice with the gun, yet it shoulders quickly like my SBE shotgun. I only shoot factory ammo (170 gr) and the deer never seem to go more than 50 feet.

For some reason, it has always produced.

For me, in Alaska, nothing beats the .338WM. In fact, mine is the only big game rifle I have.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Mine is a fairly recent addition. It's a Model 70 SS Classic 338 Win Mag that I've owned for 5 years.

The gun is light, (8.37 lbs), and accurate. The scope is an old Leupold Vari X II 3x9 that I've had for 15 years. Federal cases, IMR 4350, and 210 Nosler's. Bang, flop, I like it like that.

It isn't real pretty, but it fits perfect.

With that gun, it's just become a matter of when... Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken game with: 7X57, 300 win mag, and two different 375 H&H's but the one gun that I know I'm going to hit with is a Win model 70 stainless classic in 30-06.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
My dad bought me an Interarms 243 when I was about 13-14 years old. I've knocked down more deer with that rifle then the rest of my rifles put together.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
My custom TC Contender carbine with my 309 JDJ barrel on it. Superlight and almost jumps into my truck on its own!

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag is normally my go-to gun. However for "woods" hunting, my CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 has quickly become a favorite.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
An old JC Higgens FN Mauser 30-06 that I have carried nearly thirty years up in Alaska and an even older Win M-12 20 ga. When I really need meat i'll grab one or the other of these two.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My 30 Gibbs with 165 Hornady interlocks. The lunacy on these forums has everyone convinced if you don't have the newest and most expensive bullet your toast. Makin meat and guiding are planets apart.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** --- Savage 99 , in .308 Win.
Barrel chopped to 20 inches ,
Williams Foolproof ,receiver
sight . --- Use exclusively
180 Gr. Noslers .

Nice and light, handles perfect ,
always works good .

-------------- MMCOUGAR .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
rem 7600 30-06 carbine
45-70 stainless guide gun

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well mines an ugly gun but it's been everywhere with me and each time I hunt with something else I end up missing that rifle. Winchester Model 70 Lightweight with a "Wintuff" stock ( laminated) 30/06 with a Leupold Vari X II 3-9x40. Bought it new and have never seen another one like it. It is fairly light so easy to carry and puts three 180 grain bullets under an inch at 100 yards going 2800 fps. I've taken Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, Antelope, Deer and Elk with this rifle and I can't ever complain about it's performance. Longest shot I've ever attempted was a bull elk at timberline 425 yards away, hit him through the shoulders making an exit and he went "bang flop" as they say. That was with a Sierra 180 grain SPBT!
I own lots of other guns but this one is hard to leave home.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its gotta be my Remington Model 7 in 308. Killed many a deer and hog with it

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I've had two. A Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 30'06 I bought used. It's ight, handy and shoot beautifully using 180 gr Ultra Mags. I used it almost exclusively for fifteen years. Then I got so I was hunting 90% of the time from stands and only whitetail and I decided I might profit from less recoil. I went to a much heavier Stainless Win. Model 70 in .270 with BOSS. Fabulous accuracy! I've never lost one using it. My Avitar is a four shot group at 100 yrds.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag, what are BP deer?

Peakebrook, to your question, I think my favorite would be mmconcolor's Savage--I want one!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
This is a hard question to answer. I have a 20 year old Ruger M77 Ultralite 270 that I have taken most of my deer with, but I also have a 22 year old Marlin 336 30/30 that is like an extension of my arms and has contributed significantly to my "body count". During muzzleloader season, my Knight "original" Disc 50 cal is my "go to" gun. I have recently bought a Blaser Offroad in 270 and topped it with a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 scope and will have to say it is my new "favorite" meat gun. I have only taken a doe and a hog with it, but it has definitely moved up to the "favorite" spot in my arsenal.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good evening folks,mine is my ruger77 older tang saftey 30/06,its taken all 15 elk I've shot and countless mule deer and even more countless whitetail.I just had it rebarreled with a shilen select # 5 contour stainless 26 inch,only 2 deer since rebarrel job but more will follow.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have three like that.

A Ruger M77 30-06
A Remington M700 Sendaro 25-06
and a Sako AV 30-06 fiberclass

All are covered in blood.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Mine's a Ruger Blackhawk 3-screw in .41Magnum.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
It may sound like overkill but my .375 is my go to gun. It does not destroy as much meat as my .300 did.

This the exit hole from a Barnes 235 gr X on a muley buck.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem 700 ADL 30-06 bought in 1962. It now has a 23" Pac-Nor barrel, Shilen trigger, and Weaver 4X 40 scope. McMillan stock is on order. Very accurate. With it I have taken an elk, mule deer, and a hog.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Remmy 700 '06 in '74 that I used to kill a lot of elk, and several deer. In '96 I used the action and trigger as the basis for a custom .300 Jarrett. Now I have the barrel shot out of it and need to rebarrel, but that rifle, in both its' forms, has taken over 30 elk, a good bunch of deer, coyotes, groundhogs, grouse, turkeys, prarie dogs, muskrats, and probably a few things I've forgotten about.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote