THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Winchester Model 70 vs. Remington Model 700
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 vs. Remington Model 700
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
1-pre 64, 2-Classic LT's and 2- M-700's here. I like both brands. I prefer the M-700's for bench work but when I go in the woods I ALWAYS grab one of the M-70's. To me the Winchester just feels right in my hands. I have total confidence in the rifle and that is the most important thing to me. I've owned two Winchesters that just weren't good shooters (they're gone) and a model 7 I owned, I think it was made under contract in a Chinese prison camp (it's gone too). The last Remington I bought was a stainless fluted .300 ultra mag Sendaro. It's a cool rifle and shoots tight groups, but the bolt lock and the 7lb trigger are both big turn off's. Yes, these things can be fixed, but on a $750 rifle, I don't think it should be necessary. Either rifle should serve the original poster well. The main thing is to have a certain amount of confidence in what you hunt with and practice,practice,practice. Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of each, a model 70 in 7mm Remington that I've shot for 20 years, and a model 700 chambered for 6mm-284 that I've had only about five years. Both have Leupold scopes and both work well for their intended uses. I do like the model 70 safety better, and I have not rebedded it for humidity resistance as I had to do with the model 700. Get the one that fits you best; hang around the rifle shop and wait until one of them calls to you.

Tom

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Tom, you can go down a rack of identical guns, same model, same make, etc and one of them will come up easier, point truer,and so forth.
By the way, winchester cultist, lets level the playing field: when you folks go off into rhapsody about the wonderful model 70, inevitably you start talking about pre 64 rifles, which were essentially hand made one at a time because winchester's machinery was so old and worn that they could hardly make interchangable parts. Then you compare that rifle to a current model 700 with its tort driven j lock and heavy trigger. Not exactly the sporting thing to do. FYI, you can have a smith remove the j lock, adjust the trigger and install a three position safety for a lot less than you can have a smith overhaul the winchester in order to get it to shoot as well as a remington. Go to your precision shooting matches and see how many of those rifles are based on a winchester platform. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beemanbeme:
Good point Tom, you can go down a rack of identical guns, same model, same make, etc and one of them will come up easier, point truer,and so forth.
By the way, winchester cultist, lets level the playing field: when you folks go off into rhapsody about the wonderful model 70, inevitably you start talking about pre 64 rifles, which were essentially hand made one at a time because winchester's machinery was so old and worn that they could hardly make interchangable parts. Then you compare that rifle to a current model 700 with its tort driven j lock and heavy trigger. Not exactly the sporting thing to do. FYI, you can have a smith remove the j lock, adjust the trigger and install a three position safety for a lot less than you can have a smith overhaul the winchester in order to get it to shoot as well as a remington. Go to your precision shooting matches and see how many of those rifles are based on a winchester platform. [Big Grin]

Well, you say "lets level the playing field" then go on to talk about taking the Remington to gunsmith to have things replaced and fixed. Let's make the playing field absolutely level and compare both rifles off the shelf for exactly what they are. In my opinion the Winchester makes a better hunting rifle. Both triggers of my factory stock Classic LT's break at 4lbs. The trigger on my factory stock Remington Sendaro breaks at 7lbs. All three rifles shoot MOA so there's no problem there. The safety system on the Winchester is superior for hunting. I've gone though thick brush with Remington's before I've had the bolt knocked open. I'm sure this is possible with a Winchester too, but with the 3-position safety it less likly to happen. I own both and don't consider myself to be a "winchester cultist". Also your comments about the pre-64 are pure tripe. Is that sporting enough for ya? Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry terry but its true. Each gunsmith at winchester kept a box of parts at his bench. He would sort thru them and find a part that was close. Each gun had to have a lot of hand fitting in order to make the parts mesh. And you can take that to the bank. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Blasphemy I'll tell you, prue blashemy [Big Grin] It's all in fun ain't it? You sir, can go eat a bug [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am the odd man out , along with Bill Leeper , but I sort of like the push-feed M-70 s . I have had half a dozen or so and all have been good shooters , slick feeders , and totaly reliable .

The extractor may be the weak point on them , but I have never had a problem , and unlike Remington the parts are all easily replaced without any special tools.

I don't like the idea of the brazed together bolt , but they have that fault in common with both the Remington and the M-70 classic........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
"Each gun had to have a lot of hand fitting in order to make the parts mesh."

Kinda like they build custom rifles? [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Regards,
hm

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To equalize lets just look at the "new" 30-06's in my experience. I have a model 70 stainless classic, my sons have model 700's. My 70 and one of the 700's needed trigger work, the other 700 was fine. All three aquitted themselves well when called upon, putting the bullet where it needed to be to bring the animal down. None of the three has misfired, but none of us carry the rifle with a round in the chamber. I like my model 70 better, my sons like their 700's. Each of the three guns works well. Which shoots a tighter group? Beats me, but each will put a bullet in the heart/lung area of whatever I shoot at, at the distance that I am willing to shoot from.
In short, they both work, get the one that you like.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hm1996, exactly. This was not a bad thing from a buyers point of view. You were getting a custom rifle at competitive prices. [Big Grin]
I am having a go-round with remington even as we speak that may put me on your side of the fence.
[Frown]

[ 02-13-2003, 02:10: Message edited by: beemanbeme ]

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme:
The only problem I ever had with the 40XC was the fire on release of safety and it was a very accurate rifle out of the box. Never did trust the safety again, but not a problem on a cross the coarse rifle as bolt remains open until ready to shoot in a match.

Hope you get the problem resolved on your rifle to your satisfaction.

Regards,
hm

[ 02-13-2003, 06:27: Message edited by: hm1996 ]

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hm1996, I know now I AIN'T gonna be happy. When everything settles out, I will post the whole scenerio. As I told Remington I would. To tweak your curiosity, I sent them a rifle middle november (not warrenty work but cash on the barrelhead work) and I still don't have the rifle back. [Confused]