THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Winchester Model 70 vs. Remington Model 700
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 vs. Remington Model 700
 Login/Join

<jack2>
posted
First off Hello to all. This is a great board with tons of good info. I am interested in your opinions as to which is the better rifle. I am referring to the ones currently being produced. I am looking at purchasing one or the other in 270 or 30'06. I have always been a Remington fan, but a friend of mine tells me that the new Winchesters are nice. Anyone have any opinions?

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Well, between the two makes you asked about, my vote goes to Remington. They are generally accurate out of the box, the trigger is easy to tune, they are proven and most of all, they feel good in my hands (ie handling, etc). Some people don't care for the safety mechanism but I don't care for the Winchester safety so each to his own. I have found that the Winchester rifles are rather rough and poorly made (fit and finish). This can be said about both makes....it is rather like deciding on a Ford or a Chevy...they both suck so take your pick.

Now, if I was you, I would expand your choices a bit and look at the Tikka and the Sako lines as well. The Tikka is probably the best buy out there for the money and the Sako is even better, although a lot more expensive. They have free floated barrels, a nice trigger, good workmanship and they tend to be tack drivers right out of the box. (By the way, they are both made at the same factory in Finnland). Another possible choice is Savage...good value for the money. Hope this helps you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to have a different opinion from Eagle Eye on this question. I think the Model 70 3-position safety (and clones of it adapted to other rifles) is the best ever made for a bolt action rifle. Also, it's easy to unscrew the firing pin assembly from the Model 70 bolt. The Model 70's trigger is easier to adjust than the Remington one. And the overall look of the Model 70 is more aesthetically apealing to me.

Having said all that, however, I now have 4 Remington 700s and no Model 70s! In my experience, the Model 70s I have dealt with have not been as accurate out of the box as the Rem 700s have been.

I'm also leery of the Tikka. I've had experience with only one, but it was a dog as a shooter. I liked the way it looked and felt, and it had a better trigger and smoother action than any of my Remington 700s. But, alas, I could not get it to shoot well. I've also heard anecdotal remarks from a gunsmith that many Tikkas are not good shooters. That's not much evidence -- your mileage may vary -- but that's what I know about them.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 01-02-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I own examples of each and will tell you first that you really cannot go wrong with either action.

For a Tactical type rifle The Rem 700 is the most used and customized and has the most aftermarket upgrades available.

For a durable wilderness hunting rifle the Winchester has features that I prefer:

Steel bottom metal
Safety locks the firing pin
Simple to clean/adjust trigger
Simple to disassemble/clean bolt
Robust extractor/fixed ejector
Heavy integral recoil lug
Flat bottom receiver

MM

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I'd take the Remington.I like the way they feel and point.I have both. It really is a personal choice, you have to be happy with whatever you choose.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of each. You wont be sorry about buying either one, so get whichever appeals to you, shoulders the best, etc. Triggers can both be improved on, Rem. maybe has a nicer break. My model 70 Featherweight shoots better than my Rem 700ADL. Go figure. Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I would go with the one that fits and feels the best to you. The only thing I have against the Remington is that safty. While the safty is on the bolt can still be opened, which is bad news if it happens to catch on your backpack strap or just about anything else. I think the 3 position Win safty is much better.

Jarrett

[This message has been edited by Finley (edited 01-03-2002).]

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
I agree with the guy who recommended looking at the Tikka as an alternative. I've never seen an inaccurate one and it has the smoothest bolt operation of any rifle I've ever handled. They use the same barrel as the Sakos and I can tell you, the two Sakos I own have excellent barrels.

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I have two M70's, in .300 and .375 H&H and I've been very happy with them. The .300 H&H was rebarrled and had a little trigger work done to it. It shot sub-MOA at 100yards the one time I've been out with it.

I also have a pre-64 in .35 Whelan AI which has had some work done to it. So I can't really talk about out of the box, but I do know that with a little work they shoot like dreams.

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<jack2>
posted
MontanaMarine,
Your response is almost word for word what my friend told me. Spooky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 70 is a more sophisticated design, and, although I don't care for the safety either, it has the features which made it the "Rifleman's Rifle", many of which have been mentioned by others.

That said, the 700's design lends it to better results under mass production, therefore, ususally better performance in "out-of-the-box" condition. The extractor is the weakest link on the 700 and is prone to failure with high pressure loadings or dirty brass/chamber.

If you intend to use the rifle just as it comes from the factory, get the Remington. If you are willing to invest some time and maybe a little judicious gunsmithing money, then buy the Winchester.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since Remington started puttng those "safety" locks in the bolt shroud I have sworn off their products. I don't need them or any gov't agency telling me how to safely store or use my weapons, thank you very much. I will do business with Winchester or any other company that resists this latest attempt at "making my guns safe", from myself!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
I would take the Winchester over the Remington. Ive had poor luck with anny Remingtons Ive owned(2).

I would also look at the Ruger and Tikka. I like Rugers scope mounting system.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Winchester model 70 classic
controlled feed.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John S, do you need a key to start your car???????????????

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you thought the Boddington thread was heated

I personally prefer the Mauser 98 design, and it's derivatives, Win M70 pre-64 and classic, and the Ruger M77 Mk II.

The question is, what is most important to you? What attributes make a gun better? Do you want one that is easier to fieldstrip and work on in the field? Are you after absolute bench accuracy? Do you know what CRF stands for, and/or do you give a darn about this feature. Either gun will take game, whats better is what you like best.

It is my belief either gun out of the box is more then accurate enough for most hunters. I'd venture to say if you take an off the shelf offering from either company, it would be a coin toss as to which one were more accurate, though are you talking a single factory load, 1/2 dozen loads, or handloads? If you took 10 from each manufacturer, and did accuracy tests, you might see a difference one way or the other, then maybe it would be too close to call. No one has done that test, so the accuracy claims are purely subjective.

It is also true that either gun can benefit from gunsmithing. I'd recomend any factory rifle have a trip to a QUALIFIED gunsmith to have the trigger pull safely reduced to ~3#'s, as well as smoothed out.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum Ranger Dave where in Ontario you from?? I'd take the Tikka too even though it's not on the list. Or maybe a Ruger, I like to support W Ruger & sons.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
I am from Mississauga.... yuck!!!

<jack2>
posted
John S- I hate the safety locks as much as you, but unfortunately I think it is only a matter of time before most if not all firearms have them.

I had some bad luck with a Winchester shotgun in my youth, so I guess I have always carried a prejudice towards their firearms. However, Winchester is my preferred factory ammo. Go figure.

As far as the Ruger rifles go, my experience has been either they shoot or they don't. There does not seem to be a middle ground. Don't get me wrong, I own Ruger products. One strong point for Ruger is their customer service. It is one of the best I have seen. BTW what is the deal? Are they making their own barrels now or not? I have heard different stories on this.

Paul H- CRF = Controlled Round Feed

<MontanaMarine>
posted
For a minute I thought CRF stood for Condescending Ranting Fool. MM

<Jeff S>
posted
At current count I own 2 Remington M700 rifles and 3 Win M70 rifles. I've owned probably twice that number of each brand in my life and can safely say that the Remington's have given me more problems than the Winchesters though the Winchester's have had their share as well. I just recently got a Remington model 7 back from the factory as it refused to shoot groups smaller than 5"...they ended up rebarreling the gun. Last summer I bought a new M70 fwt in .300 WSM and the gun had feeding problems...WInchester replaced the receiver on that gun!
But by and large the Remingtons are pickier and the triggers are crappier and harder to adjust. (I usually replace em with an aftermarket like a $200 Jewel...)
WInchester's customer service is faster than Remingtons...one month on average as opposed to 3 months for Remington.
Don't get me wrong. I like my Remington's and for what they charge both companys make a decent product. FWIW, I think the Winchester M70 Supergrade is one of the best values out there for a factory production wood stocked blued steel rifle...at around $700 its hard to beat for fit and finish and general quality/appearance of the wood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaMarine:
For a minute I thought CRF stood for Condescending Ranting Fool. MM

Yessss! This gave me the best laugh I've had today!

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Model 70

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader 1>
posted
#1 Remington 700 mountain rifle,Winchester close 2nd only because I do not like the Win safety.nasty,nasty,nasty.

<phurley>
posted
I will take the Winchester Model 70 and have fun and warm feelings from the time I cradle it in my arms. I have owned and shot them all and they all make rifles I can live with and successfully hunt with. I have never found a Remington, Ruger, or Sako I didn't like, unless I could not optain a one hole group with it. Chamberings are the same. I hear some of you guys rant and rave about this chambering or that, but I have always been able to find something good about each and every one. Notice I say chambering and not caliber, you can have several chamberings in each caliber. It just seems that it takes a Model 70 to capture my heart. Good shooting.

------------------

<allen day>
posted
I've owned nearly ninety Model 700's over the years, but now I'm down to just one. It's the first hunting rifle I ever purchased, and I bought it new at a local sporting goods store when I was fifteen years old.

These days, all I use are Model 70s. Actually, my main hunting battery is comprised of several custom rifles that are built on Model 70 actions.

In many ways, the highest and best use for the average Model 70 is to take it apart for the action and send it to a first-rate riflemaker for a custom job. Good gunsmithing will eliminate just about all of the potential bugs that come with the Model 70 package, and forever dispel any notion that only rifles based on the Remington 700 action are capable of producing tiny groups. The Model 70 can provide all of the accuracy you'd ever ask for, as well superior feeding, function, plus better safety features. I can't think of a single reason to choose any other bolt action.

AD

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Just wondering how many volks out there think that the middle position on the Winchester safety is a safety position? I have seen this too many times to count. Guys pick up a M70 in the sporting store & you hear him comment on how the safety goes off "mighty easy".

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Machmeier>
posted
Win Model 70 with CRF is the choice. Have several Rem 700's, even one .375 factory custom which is very accurate, but overall prefer the Win 70 action from Win or Dak. Love the three position safety, don't have to search for it. Some africa hunting for nasties have changed my mind on what is important for an all around hunting rifle.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
After reading all the above posts, it is clear that something is amiss!!! Since so many of the posters support those aweful Winnies, there must be something wrong with this picture. It occurred to me that perhaps USRAC ships their rejects and seconds to Canada! Must be the case....afterall, the Winchesters I have seen are poorly put together, have very rough actions (feels like they added sandpaper to the chamber), don't shoot well are over priced and so on. Even the big retailers don't push them up here, the salepeople don't like them and heck, even the Winchester guns web site is rather lacking in detail and content. Or maybe the posters on this site buy only the REAL Winchesters that were made by the real American Winchester from before 1964 and not the ones made by USRAC (Which is owned by a French company called GATT, which also owns another famous so called American gunmaker called Browning). That must be the answer!

[This message has been edited by Eagle Eye (edited 01-03-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle eye, you're right about the quality of the winnie's of late, I know from personal experience but....the Remingtons are no gems either. Some I've seen look like the were finished in Afganistan. I've had em both and over the years sold off the remingtons (except for my trusty old 760)but still have all the M 70's. I guess that leaves me siding with the Winnies.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle Eye,

Why don't you find a use pre-64 M70 in the caliber you desire? .30-06 and .270's are plentiful enough that you should be able to find one in very good to excellent condition for abount the same price that you would pay for a new M70 or M700. I own several pre-64 M70's and all are shooters and all are unaltered out of the box save for trigger jobs. In fact every pre-64 that I own, from .257 Roberts to .338 WM will feed empties from the magazine. And thats with no stoning or polishing! I don't think that your chances of finding a new M700 or M70 that can do that out of the box are slim. If you are set on a new rifle my vote would go to the M70 as it is a direct decendent( well, sort of) of the pre-64.

[This message has been edited by DavidReed (edited 01-03-2002).]

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but none of the above...if you want a real hunting rifle, go Ruger. End of the quest.

Mauser action, Stainless steel, 3 position safety (action mounted), integral scope mounts, what else ??

IMHO,

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know where you guys buy your model 70's. I have two relatively recent examples, a stainless and wood 22-250 that will feed empties and a Black Shadow 300 mag push feed model that shoots under an inch and is smooth enough for any practical purpose. The safety locking the firingpin is way ahead of the 700 safety and the bolt release on the 70 is far more reliable. That said most of my rifles are semi custom Mauser 98's.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local gun club rifle range and see if the members will let you try their rifles. Most people are more than happy to do this. Once you have tried a few of the different rifles you will have a much better idea what fits you and what you like. Then buy what you want. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the two mentioned, I would lean toward the new Winchester 70. Comparing the pre 64 model 70 to a Remington, there is no contest. I always thought you adjusted a Remington trigger by replacing it with a jewel trigger, go figure. If you are interested in benchrest competition, save up your money and buy one of the custom actions or a used rig. Otherwise go to the range and try each of them out and see what you like best and buy that one.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Yeah, and which action is used more than any other for custom rifles? It sure isn't a Winnie. I'll give you a hint, it's nick name is Big Green.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Currently the gun safe has four Model 70�s and six Model 700�s.

Being as objective as I can:
The Remington action will be lighter than the Winchester.
The Remington bolt will be smoother than a new, i.e. not a pre �64, Winchester (sorry guys, IMHO there is no contest). New Winchester bolts can bind if you inadvertently apply upward pressurewith the heel of the hand when you try to push it forward. By bind, I mean they are stuck � won�t go forward. Push straight in and there�s no problem I�ve had a few Remington bolts do this, but not all, and the severity of the binding is not as much as the Winchester. Sorry � that�s a bit of a subjective view but true in my expereience.
The Remington long action magazine will be longer than the Winchester if that means anything. The Winchester short action mag is longer than the Remington.
The Remington safety is more convenient and easier to take off silently, but the Winchester safety is much safer.
Remington�s two piece trigger connector can lead to a �Fire on Safety Release� if you let gunk or old oil build up in the mechanism. Not an epidemic, but the problem definitely exists.
Remington triggers can be adjusted finely by turning screws. Winchester triggers can be adjusted finely by turning locknuts, and maybe a bit of judicious stoning. If I had to make a judgement I�d say that the Remington trigger can be more easily adjusted to give a crisper pull, but I have a certain Model 70 that releases at 2 pounds like that proverbial glass rod breaking and passes all of the drop and bolt slamming test sI can give it.
Winchester bolts can be very easily field stripped. Remington bolts can be field stripped, but it is a bit harder.
Winchesters hold five in the mag, Remingtons four. Make that four and three for magnum calibers.
Winchester�s will feed a little smoother than Remingtons. That�s another sort of subjective viewpoint but again, holds true for all examples in my experience. They both feed, the Remingtons just seem to have more friction.
Winchester actions are �busier� than Remingtons.
Older Remingtons had the reputation of the most accurate �out of the box� but recent quality control issues in chambering and such may have eliminated that. My three latest M700�s don�t match up to the accuracy of the previous several bought over the last 25 years. Of my four Model 70�s two shot great and two shot sh*tty. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Just have to determine what the most important criteria is for YOU.

Purely subjective comments:
Absolute importance of CRF � hell, I don�t know. I like it but have had extraction or ejection problems with some Winchesters due to quality control problems. The relationship of the feed rails, tension of the claw extractor and so forth seem to be more critical to get CRF to work properly. I�ve never had a feeding jam with my push feed Remingtons going back some 25 years and 13 or 14 examples of Model 700�s.

I think CRF is really a moot point unless you are actually going to follow big grizzlies in the alders of buffalo in the thick jesse. Then I�d go with a PROVEN RELIABLE CRF rifle, but only because the guys that do these things regularly say I should. Both CRF and push feed have worked well for gazillions of deer and elk hunters so for non-dangerous game hunting I just wouldn�t worry about it much.

I bought three newly made Model 700�s without the J-lock when I learned that Remington was changing over to it so I would at least have three good non-Jlock actions. One of the rifles was great, one was flawed cosmetically and one was a pure POS. I returned the POS and Remington replaced it with a terrific rifle.

If you want a Remington, shop the gun shows and get one eight or ten years old. From my limited sampl;e you have about a 66% chance of getting a better made rifle than what you will find on the new gun racks today. Brand new Winchesters I can�t speak of from personal experience. I last bought a M70 two years ago. Actually, I bought my first two Model 70�s ever in 1998 as that was the first year left hand actions were produced. Sent them both back for cosmetic and functioning problems and Winchester fixed them up pretty good. It is my understanding that the new ones coming from the new South Carolina plant ain�t all that great either.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Eye:
Yeah, and which action is used more than any other for custom rifles? It sure isn't a Winnie. I'll give you a hint, it's nick name is Big Green.

If you consider a re-barrel job and plastic stock a custom, then by all means it's the 700.

Now, if you are talking a fine custom rifle, the two actions used are the M-98 mauser and the Win M70 pre-64 and classic.

I appologize for my previous post, I was trying to be diplomatic and not start a pi**ing match, guess I missed the mark.

The real question is, what does the original poster consider most important to him as to how he defines the best rifle.

If one has a strong opinion one way or the other, then there mind is made up, if one has to ask the question, they'll likely be happy with either.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Great post Jim from Idaho. I agree with most of what you said.

<jack2>
posted
Jim- Good post.