Find
Notify
Tools

My 2012 Oklahoma Whitetail
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted
Anyone who knows me knows I'm lucky when it comes to whitetail hunting. In 2007 I shot a 218" buck up in Kansas with my muzzle loader, last year I shot a 187" buck in Oklahoma with my muzzle loader and last week I shot the biggest main frame 8 point I've ever personally seen. I knew about all 3 bucks before I took them, but was not familiar with any of them like I was this deer.

I've known about this deer for 4 years. In 2008 I got him on camera over a scrape. He was a 5 year old stud of an 8 that year, but I only got 2 photos of him and never saw him again. Thinking he'd died because these photos were taken the evening before opening day of muzzle loader season that year, I focused more on another good buck I had on camera about 3 miles down the road (never killed that buck either).

2008 Photo:

2009 came and went without me seeing this deer which further confirmed my suspicions that he was dead, but then in the summer of 2010 my cousin called me and told me to come check out the sheds he found while clearing some brush on his land. Sure enough it was his 2009 rack, which grossed 173" with all the trash. 2010 came around and I was all over this deer. I had 3 cams set up on the property I thought he was living on starting in late August. On October 14, 2010 he showed up on one of my cams on the edge of a wheat field that was overlooking a scrape line. I had him on camera every few days or so until November 14th, which actually was the only daylight photo I ever had of him (I was working that Saturday which sent me into depression when I checked the cam). After that he again disappeared, and not seeing him after having him on cam all year I assumed he'd been shot. Plus rifle season opened that following weekend and though I saw some decent bucks, I never saw him and heard tons of shots on neighboring properties. The neighboring pressure had me worried, but then again a deer of this size gets shot in my neck of the woods and everyone knows about it. In 2010 he'd blown into a mid 160's 8 point plus lots of kickers and trash around his bases. I'd say he was either high 170s or low 180s that year:

Here he is in 2010:

In May 2011 one of my cousins found a big dead buck on the road that separates two of the properties where I was getting photos of him that had bases "as big around as a coke can". Thinking it was him, I was deflated. I kept cams out all 2011, but having the 187" deer on camera on the other side of the state I kind of put all my focus on that deer last year, which paid off when I killed him in October 2011 (I also knew about that deer for about 3 years before killing him).

Finally, 2012 came around and with no serious prospects I again focused on this particular property. It was a slow early season and the weather was horrible during the typical rut days, so I really hadn't seen much on my cams or in person. The wheat field where I had this deer on camera in 2010 was loaded with does this year so I knew that if I focused around these does during the rut that good things could happen. Tuesday November 20th a friend talked me into letting him shoot a doe and try to film it, which I agreed to only on the grounds that if a shooter stepped out I was taking the gun. I also told him that because the rut seemed to be picking up we would wait until about 30 minutes before dark to shoot a doe just in case a big boy walked out later. At 4:15 some does stepped into the field, but a little buck walked in behind us and winded us which pushed them all off the field. We sat there for another 10-15 minutes while I was explaining to him that it was early and that I had seen over 20 does on this field the previous weekend when I caught movement on the grass ridge about 350 yards away. Without using my bino's I said "give me the rifle, I'm shooting that deer". Just from the shape of the rack I could tell it was him, and the fact I could even see it from that distance made it evident that it was a monster. I laid over my backpack and settled in for the shot, but because he was beyond the wheat field there was too much brush in the way for a shot. I stopped him once with a mouth bleat, but at that distance he took 2 more steps before stopping so he stopped behind some brush. The way he was walking, there was literally one spot he could stop in that was clear of brush. He took 3 or 4 more steps and stopped right in that spot. I touched the trigger, watched him "mule kick" and heard it thump him before he took off. I knew it was a solid shot, but waited a good 30 minutes before even looking for blood just in case. I don't know exactly how far he was, but based on ranging the edge of the wheat then from where I believe he was standing I believe it was around 340 yards. I practice a lot with my guns, but that's still a far shot so I wanted to be sure I gave him time before going in there and checking. We got the whole thing on video, and though he was small in the view finder you could tell it was a solid shot.

We went over to where he was standing and couldn't find any blood. After about 10 minutes of looking and still convinced I'd made a good shot, I started walking towards the direction I'd thought he'd ran trying to cut across his blood trail further down the draw he headed towards. The guy I was with was checking the video and saw that he'd actually ran a little further south than I was looking, so he began walking that way and found him piled up about 50 yards away. The shot blew through his heart and both lungs and exited, but the blood trail was surprisingly faint.

The deer is either 8.5 or 9.5 years old. The rut killed this buck as it does so many other older deer. 74 degrees that day, light wind and no clouds, he should have been holed up in the shade somewhere until dark. Again, I'm a lucky dude when it comes to whitetails, but I probably put in over 100 days for this specific deer over the past 4 years so it's nice when a little luck rolls your way!

He had 17 points, but one was about 7/8" so only 16 of them were scorable. His 8 point frame grossed a little over 168" with 13.5" g-2's, 7.5" bases and 27" main beams. Adding in trash he stretched the tape to 182 1/8" making him my third deer to gross over 180" (all free range, never hunted a fence). He dressed at 178 lbs which is big for our area, but he lost a bit of weight since I last had him on camera in 2010. I couldn't be more pleased with this deer, and honestly he means more to me than any of the others because of how much time I put in!

Thanks for reading, I'm still on cloud 9!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
That is a brute! Congratulations!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Great story and even better buck. Congrats!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9398 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1! Heckuva buck.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck Greg! Congrats on a real monster.

cheers,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Helluva nice buck!! Congrats!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats greg,
Thats quite a feat to kill a deer that old, much lees with a huge rack to boot.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
What an amazing buck!!!! Congrats brotha!!!!

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No luck involved there.You worked for him!!!Congrats. tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now thats a nice buck, Congratulations

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What mass! And the fact that the base is so hig is typical of real old deer of any species.

Congratulations.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11189 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That is a monster! Kudos to you for tracking him for so long.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Top notch Greg. You are a whitetail machine.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome deer Greg - congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! Congrats.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is awesome Greg! Congratulations!!!

Doug

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Jeez, what a monster! Congratulations Greg.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Deer!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice Greg. I've also taken 2 deer that I knew of and specifically and exclusively hunted over multiple seasons. Mine were no where near as large as yours but it sure is sweet when you can put one of those deer on the ground that you've grown to know and learn his habits. A huge congrats to you and that is a boss buck for sure!

BTW, I saw a deer I'm guessing at 180" ten days ago on my leased ranch. Low fence. I've never hunted whitetail on a high fence either. Anyway, I'm now on a mission to kill that deer and only that deer! Got a month to go to get it done this year. Set up a new stand today moving into his area. Hope to have a pic similar to yours soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer Greg!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic buck!!!! Congratulations!

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Very nice Greg. I've also taken 2 deer that I knew of and specifically and exclusively hunted over multiple seasons. Mine were no where near as large as yours but it sure is sweet when you can put one of those deer on the ground that you've grown to know and learn his habits. A huge congrats to you and that is a boss buck for sure!

BTW, I saw a deer I'm guessing at 180" ten days ago on my leased ranch. Low fence. I've never hunted whitetail on a high fence either. Anyway, I'm now on a mission to kill that deer and only that deer! Got a month to go to get it done this year. Set up a new stand today moving into his area. Hope to have a pic similar to yours soon.

Thanks Todd, and post pics if you get him! For some reason nothing really gets my blood boiling like a giant whitetail. Good luck and keep us posted!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012