THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What a gun expert said about the .270
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a gun expert said about the .270
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Hoffman:
... One must use 150 gr bullets for the larger than deer animals....
George

I switched to the 150 grain Nosler Partition for everything out of my .270 that I want to eat. My first mule deer I hit in the shoulder with the .270-130 grain and it pulped everything in the shoulder, and then some. As well, where I was hunting then was griz country, and I wanted a bit heavier bullet than the 130 grain for emergencies. I've kinda stuck with that bullet as a good compromise between easier on meat and heavy enough for black bears, just to be safe. That way when I switch from deer to black bears, or encounter a black bear or elk, I don't have a bullet switching ritual to worry about.

Comments?

[This message has been edited by BBBruce (edited 10-29-2001).]

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the 270 Over loud, over hyped and over here :B

The European equivalent is 7x64 Brenneke another bastardisation of a fine calibre.

I'm not inexperienced merely prejudiced.

Now if 270 is so wonderfull why didn't someone commercialy stick it in a 308 case where it would be better suited than a 6.5 whose heavy bullets are too long. Oh I can't wait for the howls when everyone realises that just like 6.5x55 and 30-06 the 308 case will do all the 06 case ever did but with finer accuracy!

No doubt it's allready been done and no doubt I've shown my inexperience!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
You cant argue with success...and the .270 is a commercial success. No it is not everything to everybody....but I havent seen anything in a .308 case approaching that either.
As to Boddington, his writing is much improved as of late. Yes he is paid to like whatever he he is sent out to review...but he is starting to realize that not everyone hunts with custom rifles. He is not trading on his rank and writing again for the average guy.
It is unfair to blast the guy over his promotion.If he put the time in and moved up the list so be it. Thats like saying "I dont deserve my paycheck because there are twenty-five other guys out there that could do my job as well." Pull your heads out...his writing deserves criticism...his choice of vocation does not.
As to the .270 question....shot placement takes precedence over caliber. However the .270 doesnt have to back water to anyone when the shot is placed properly. regards swede

------------------
WyomingSwede

<R. A. Berry>
posted
257 AI,
I give up. Who said that "testosterone is not measured on a chronograph?" The style doesn't match Elmer Keith's, but the concept does. Lemme guess. Ross Seyfreid?

I like the 270 Win. It is my choice for the Weatherby Mark V Ultralight. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything, with the right bullet, and the right bullet placement, as others have said.

------------------
RAB

<257 AI>
posted
RAB, it was Wayne Van Zwoll. If 500 grains doesn't want to use a 270, fine, who the hell cares? But it's funny that he knocks it and says it's too small and readily admits that he once shot an elk several times with a 470 Capstick and chasing it several miles before it died. Maby if he had been shooting a 270 he would have put the bullet in the right place and would have killed the animal alot quicker. And don't hand me that crap about the bullet not expanding, even unexpanded the 470 is larger than a 30 cal fully expanded.

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
I don't like the 270 Over loud, over hyped and over here :B I'm not inexperienced merely prejudiced.

Now if 270 is so wonderful why didn't someone commercially stick it in a 308 case where it would be better suited than a 6.5 whose heavy bullets are too long.

As you say, your personal bias. The .270 uses the 30-06 long case. Having a long case makes for easier reloading switches given the preponderance of 30-06 brass over here. 'Course nobody ever said you Brits lack brass.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"You cant argue with success...and the .270 is a commercial success."

Then why not use a 30-30 for all of your hunting?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
I repeat a prior question - Who or what has anointed Mr. Alphin as a 'gun expert'?

<jeremy w>
posted
A dude that can barely kill an elk with an elephant gun is someone with "minimal hunting experience" or "minimal brain capacity". I haven't decided which just yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeremy w:
A dude that can barely kill an elk with an elephant gun is someone with "minimal hunting experience" or "minimal brain capacity". I haven't decided which just yet.

Shouldn't the rifle weigh enough that you could just stand on its head and beat the sh!t outta it?

one of us
posted Hide Post

Yes it has been done. It's the 7mm-08.

Okay, it's .284", not .277".

Mmmm, .007", Would that be the width of a "split hair"?

I found a 150 gr Partition load for my .270 and don't bother with anything else. It has better external and (I think more useful) terminal ballistics than the 130gr. I frankly don't see any use for the 130 gr. unless a rifle just won't group the 150s.

I think there is no appreciable improvement in long range effectiveness over the .270 150gr until the 7mag class and no medium range improvement until the 200gr + weights in the /06.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
The 7X64 is no bastardization of the 270, please. Check and you will see our European caliber could be the grand father of the 270...
olivier

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
For me, I use the biggest caliber that I can accuratly place the shot, even for target. My Dad used a 270 for many years, shot deer and elk and bear with 130 gr handloads I made for him in '68 right up to '95. I only loaded him up about 60 rounds, and still has 20 or so left. 1 shot kills on most everything he shot. Enough gun? Wrong question, good shot who knew his equipment?, you bet.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
This thread is really funny!!!!!!!!
I think it�s amazing how easy people can get annoyed (and angry�..) because someone else doesn�t like or use their favorite cartridge�.. or even dare to say it out loud�.

The debate over the 270 Win on the other side of the Big Pond is, I think, the same as we have here in Sweden over the 6.5x55. Some like it, some won�t use it and for some it seems to be part of their religion (worship/despise it, just pick a stand��.)!
Both these cartridges are adequate if applied properly PERIOD! It is really that simple�.

But let me be first to admit that if the person behind the stock doesn�t do his/her part it won�t be enough! It is just as simple as the other FACT! This applies, of course, to game big game as in elk, moose etc. Now I can hear the growls starting �If hit in the foot, a 470 whatever wouldn�t have downed it�� And, yes that is true! But that is not what I mean! I�m talking about those marginal hits that fail too put the animal down fast enough for it to be easy to retrieve. A hit through one corner of a lung that continues in to the paunch is lethal but it might take a while�.. There won�t be much blood on the scene nor in the tracks cause the paunch effectively stops most bullets or, if not, covers the exit hole so that no blood will come out. This might happen with a bigger cartridge but the chance is a lot bigger that there will be a blood trail to follow! Sometimes the animal will even leak through the entrance hole in the hide, which is nearly impossible with a 264/270 on a moose.

In Sweden, as well as in most European countries, there are people who are very knowledgeable about how to follow up bad shots and then to find the animal. Some of them don�t do much else�. If asked about caliber choice (for the person wounding the animal) they will all say the same thing: It�s easier for them if the shooter used a cartridge with a large diameter (as compared to the 264/270) bullet!

I�ve killed moose with the 6.5x55 and the 9.3x62. No problem at all!! But today I only use the 9.3x62 cause it just feels better!!!. A gun in a larger bore doesn�t have to be heavy. My 9.3 weighs 7 � pounds with a scope. That�s light enough for me to carry all day long (or the whole week for that matter). I know that there are people out there who can�t take the recoil of a larger round and have no quarrel with them at all!! If they choose to use a 6.5 etc. fine! Shooting a larger caliber bad isn�t gone help them at all! Much better to shoot a smaller bore with a greater comfort!

350RM
I think 1894 meant the caliber 7mm, not the cartridge 270 Win�

After writing this I understand why I don�t post more often: Takes to much time writing in English! I am however thankful that German is not the chosen language on this forum cause then I could as well stay in bed!

Cheers
K9

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
I don't like the 270 Over loud, over hyped and over here :B

The European equivalent is 7x64 Brenneke another bastardisation of a fine calibre.

Sorry, 1894, but this is not true. The 7X64 is the equivalent of the 280 and the 7mm/06.

To the best of my knowledge, the 270 has no European equivalent.

There's something about the 270 that makes a certain contingent of riflemen bray and paw the earth. Their loss. The rest of us know that, when used within its proper limitations (i.e. things smaller than moose) the 270 is arguably the best caliber ever designed and built.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't I read somewhere (Towensend Whelen's books perhaps) that the US Army almost adopted the .270 at some point, then went/kept with the .308 because they had a huge supply of .308 projectiles? The .270 certainly has a neat power/recoil combo for infantry, especially in short time armies where there are a lot of potentially gun shy guys.

Recollections?

[This message has been edited by BBBruce (edited 11-07-2001).]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Boddington would'nt make a pimple on a real Generals ass & HE knows it!

Vietnam Vet. 69/75 Been there done that.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-09-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Saeed I agree with you and think the 270 Win will kill just about any game you would like to shot

<Stoneybroke>
posted
Recollections? Its seems to me that I remember an article in one of PO Ackley's books about military use of the 277 caliber. As I recall, an army team used sedated pigs and sheep to test killing power of various size projectiles during the thirties. The committee recommended adoption of a short 277 cartridge for the M-1. The brass hats thought such an undersized cartridge was unacceptable! Go figure! Stony

<257 AI>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by glenn:
I repeat a prior question - Who or what has anointed Mr. Alphin as a 'gun expert'?

Answer, the same guy that said that the 270 isn't enough gun for an elk.

BBBruce, If I remember right there were some M1 Garands made in 270. That would be a sweet rifle to shoot.

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that you all are referring to the .276 Pederson, this being the same Pederson that made the semi-automatic insert for the Springfield rifle. It was dropped because the Army believed a minimum .30 caliber was essential for a combat rifle.

Pretty sure this info is correct, but I'm recalling it from Gun Digest articles read years ago.

[This message has been edited by Jim in Idaho (edited 11-09-2001).]

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
K9 and LE270

My comment about the 7x64 was indeed based on my understanding that Jack O Connors German partner in crime a certain Herr Brenneke created the 64 cased variant when the 57 case was allready around. Indeed as has been said it is my understanding that this preceeded the 270.

I would be the first to admit under duress that the 270 may be a fine cartridge it's just it's not for my type of stalking and actualy unless you are totaly hung up on long range etc I'm sure you can do nearly just as well with something that is a lot less loud and hence more pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<8mman>
posted
The 270 is a great caliber, not an ideal one for all conditionsbut if some one is scared to death of their magnum then by all means let them use a 270 on elk. at least then they may hit the thing.

<Slamfire>
posted
The .276 that the army adopted, until Mac pointed out the stockpile of .30-06 ammo, was named for the bore size. It did not use .277 bullets but was a true 7mm. The article in Ackley's was written by the Doctor who conducted the live animal tests. His favorite, a .256 (6.5mm) with a 129 grain bullet at 2700 fps. My .260 will do that.
I don't think it is an excess of testosterone that causes folks to use really huge bores on elk, but a lack of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve y:

I think there is no appreciable improvement in long range effectiveness over the .270 150gr until the 7mag class

I did an external ballistics (Sierran89) short study once between the .270 and 7MM Rem Mag., using my fav load in .270/150 grain Nosler Partition and a factory loading of the 7MM. The diff between the two was somewhere in the region of +/- MOA out to 400 yards, meaning that the 7MM hit around 4" higher than the .270 at that distance. Both had elk killing power at that range, defined as more than 1200 psi if I recollect properly. The conclusion I reached was that although the 7MM had the potential to be loaded hotter, in actual hunting conditions using normal loads it was a toss-up to individual preference. Whatever fits you best.

[This message has been edited by BBBruce (edited 11-15-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
FACT: There is not a nickles worth of difference in the 270, 30-06, 7x64, 7x57, 308, 300 magnums, and a bunch of others from a practical point of view as to trajectory and killing power and not a hell of lot when you jump to 338 and 375 if the truth were known.....I like some better than others, but that means zilch.

I would hunt any animal on this earth with a 30-06 and a 220 gr. Nosler at 2500 FPS.......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
FACT: There is not a nickles worth of difference in the 270, 30-06, 7x64, 7x57, 308, 300 magnums, and a bunch of others from a practical point of view as to trajectory and killing power and not a hell of lot when you jump to 338 and 375 if the truth were known.....I like some better than others, but that means zilch.

Ok, up to a point, but given your choice would you chase a griz with a .270 if a 30 cal. was to hand? Serious question, and please feel free to expand on it.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I would use either the .270 or .30. It wouldn't matter to me. I think we have to realize that we all suffer, to some degree, from a fairly new mindset...that of the 1-shot kill.

If you take a trip back in time to when the rifles most of us use were originally designed, you'll see they developed repeaters for a reason. Just read some of TR's books and you'll see what I mean. When that man saw an animal he wanted, he started shooting and didn't stop until the thing was down...and he didn't feel guilty about it afterward, either. By the way, that's also the way O'Connor took grizzlies with a .270 Win. firing 130-grainers...keep shooting until it's down.

One-shot kills are a great goal, but they are by no means a requirement; unless you're looking to get bad-breath close to a big bear, of course. But, who the hell would want to do that?

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Steve H>
posted
Hi Guys

Well, just my little opinion. When it boils right down to it - who gives a shit what the so called "experts" say? Practical experience is far more valuable than anything a book writer can come up with. People like Atkinson and Bemanbeme(even though he's really old) have the jump on the writers because they are experienced, practical people. (that is not to say, that because they say it - it is correct!!) though at times I mildly disagree with some of their threads and answers. Most of the people writing to these forums are dumping a wealth of experience and practical knowledge onto them and well worth listening to. I have been hunting for 40yrs( still Pro. hunting) and I still learn something everytime I get near these forums. I have used a myriad of different calibers for deer Wapiti and pigs. Some are better than others but there isn't a single cal. that I would knock PROVIDED it is used for what it was designed. My favourite for the last 10 years is my BAR .270 with which I have killed numerous deer and Pigs.

Steve H

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RSY:
By the way, that's also the way O'Connor took grizzlies with a .270 Win. firing 130-grainers...keep shooting until it's down.RSY

If I remember correctly, O'Connor once wrote that he had taken four grizzlies, two with the .270 with 130 grain bullets, and two with the 30-06; moreover he went on to write that the ones he took with the .270 were each one-shot kills, while those taken with the 30-06 each required multiple shots. He also wrote that the 130 grain bullet (I think it was a Remington bronze point, but I don't remember that for sure) from the .270 had broken both shoulders of the bear and, he said, "You don't need more penetration than that."

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
LE270:

Yes, you are correct. Those accounts are in "The Big-Game Rifle," I believe.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
What Ray stated as fact is, in fact the truth!

Only I'd start even lower (smaller?); with the 6.5s and maybe not go as big (higher?) than the .375.

I would feel perfectly comfortable shooting any animal on the planet with my -06 with the proper bullet. It ain't no better than a .270. The only reason I'd take the -06 over the .270 is I have shot it tens of thousands of rounds since 1968 and it is like an extension of myself. Most people would simply be amazed at how fast I can hit all five times with that rifle. Nearly as fast and more accurately than most people could with a pump or auto shotgun.

The difference is the shooter, and in the shooters mind!

------------------
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Sarge (edited 11-17-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RSY:
LE270:

Yes, you are correct. Those accounts are in "The Big-Game Rifle," I believe.
RSY

Thank you.
I also remember that he said that sometime he's like to "smack into a nice fat grizzly, just above timberline, with a .257" He meant a .257 Roberts. I'm giving the quote from memory; I may not have it word-perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
500... you must have some disorder?

Brad

Just read the political forum!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This old guy always enjoys reading a thread like this where the posters are obviously highly knowledgeable -whether pro or con about the 270. I can add little to the general fund of knowledge. I will say that my generation (I'm 78)practically brought up on cartridges like the '06, 30-30, 35 Rem.in my neck of the woods (NY) -nonetheless had a distinct liking for the 270. I myself owned one for years and enjoyed shooting it (offhand) in what was, alas, shooting at targets.I always wanted to use it in the West where it apparently is in its element. Despite my rambling I do have a point. The 270 is pleasant to shoot. I found out that this matters in introducing it to women in the family who felt a bit rocked by the '06. As an instructor (NG and RA once back when dinosaurs walked the earth)I know that fear of recoil produces flinches. The recoil of the '06 is nothing to any experienced shooter -but the 270's is even less and I suspect that much of the good hunting history of the 270 is based on that fact. After all, it is bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement, isn't it? Anyway, my thanks to all for an interesting thread about a cartridge I have been familar with since I was a teenager. (130 gr., I hasten to add. I agree about the drag on using heavier bullet weights)

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Art Alphin wrote it as noted. He also said he only used cup & core 130s in the .270 on light game because that is where he found value in the cartridge. I guess he had a ballistic crystal ball to say how well heavier 150-170 gr bullets would work on "medium" game. As for Boddington, he had a change in heart on .270 for Elk after he killed one with 1 shot at over 400 yards with the standard and another at short range with the .270 WSM. It's seems he may have been extrapolating how the .270 worked on Elk based on his experience with .308+ cal magnums.

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RSY:
By the way, that's also the way O'Connor took grizzlies with a .270 Win. firing 130-grainers...keep shooting until it's down.RSY</font>

If I remember correctly, O'Connor once wrote that he had taken four grizzlies, two with the .270 with 130 grain bullets, and two with the 30-06; moreover he went on to write that the ones he took with the .270 were each one-shot kills, while those taken with the 30-06 each required multiple shots. He also wrote that the 130 grain bullet (I think it was a Remington bronze point, but I don't remember that for sure) from the .270 had broken both shoulders of the bear and, he said, "You don't need more penetration than that."

Actually O'Connor wrote that he killed something over 10 Grizzlies. I don't remember the exact number, but he stated that when he did his long pack hunts the Grizzly was considered a varmit and there was no season and he killed them as a side note while hunting sheep or some other critter. O'Connor killed 1-2 Grizzly with the .270 and 1 with the .300 Weatherby and the rest with a .30-06. He wrote that the quickest 1 shot kills he had were with the .270 and 130 silvertip and .300 Weatherby and 180 gr bullets. O'Connor also wrote that the .270 was not the best choice as a dedicated Grizzly rifle for chasing them in brush, but it worked fine for them in open country where the .270 was an ideal choice for the game he was mainly after.

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I don't realy know if anything is better or worse.

I wonder how someone with over 17000 (seventeen thousand) post in 6 (six) years has time to hunt or shoot.....

.....you asked how craig has time to juggle his comitments (writeing,hunting,marines).

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a 270. I probably never will. Why, I am a 308 kind of guy for that "power range".
Still the 270 is a good hunting cartridge.
I agree with Ray A, on this one.

Look at say Federal's factory ammo specifications, and you will see that SOME 270, 30-06, and 308 loads have more energy at 400 yards than some 300 Win Mag loads.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
For my personal use, I would never have a 270 a 308 or a 30-06.

I would however recommend any of those three to someone just starting out, simply because they have collectively accounted for hundreds of thousands head of game ranging from the smallest to the largest on this planet.

My favorite 2 rifles are the 375 H&H and the 35 whelen, a 30-06 bnecked to 35 caliber.

theodore roosevelt and his son Kermit successfully used the 30-06 on many heads of African game on their 1910 Safari, including Elephant.

Point is, anyone that takes a 270 and learns how to work within its limitations, and works at accurately placing their shots can take anything roaming the North American continent.

Anyone with an ounce of actual brains knows that bullet placement and bullet construction are what matters.

A quality bullet, properly placed will make up for all the power of a poorly placed shot from a more powerful caliber. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote