THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What a gun expert said about the .270
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a gun expert said about the .270
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"As the years went by, many people (including O'Connor) tried to make the 270 into something that it wasn't. They recommende the use of 150, 160 or 170 grain bullets for use on medium game animals such as caribou, elk and grizzly bear. However, in the final analysis, I believe this is not what the cartridge was designed for and is much akin to carrying bags of cement in your Corvette. You can put a bunch of bags of cement in the luggage rack, and your Corvette will get down the road, but it's just not quite so good as a pick-up truck for that purpose."

Can you guess who wrote that?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how many bags you have to carry one or two the vett does it just as well.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
500... you must have some disorder associated with the numbers 2, 7 and 0. Do you have any other topic to contribute something positive towards?

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

Can you guess who wrote that?

Craig "I'm a gun writer so I have plenty of free time to put in full-time hours in the Marine Reserve which gets me to General as most everyone else is part-time" Boddington

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
Kuduking

Do you have any facts to back up your line about Boddington and his work in the reserves?

Boddington bashing seems to be quite popular. If you don't like his writing fine, but why make sissy comments about his rank?

Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
This argument is simply a rerun of the 'is 6.5x55 enough for moose, elk and grizzly'

A 270 is simply a (lot) louder bang shoving slightly shorter and slightly fatter bullets slightly faster.

The perfectly matched rifle to each quarry species is all very well if you are a gun nut, rich or willing to compromise on gun quality. If you are none of these then one good medium bore will probably do best.

Gun magazines exist to carry advertising space. Advertisers advertise to sell guns and will not favour a magazine that pursues an editorial stance of one all round gun is best!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
"However, in the final analysis, I believe ...."

Nothing wrong in having an opinion. Good luck to him. I wish I could make a living as a gun writer/ reservist.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
In principle, I agree that it's a mistake to try an make a giant killer out of the .270 WCF and use it for game it as never intended for in the first place. It's at its best for sheep, pronghorn, and open-coutry deer hunting. For those tasks, it's as good as it gets.

Even so, I've hunted elk with it, and I know of some very experienced, long-time .270 users who have used it on scores and scores of elk, plus moose, etc. It's not ideal for elk and moose by any means, but to imply that there's a great, widespread and uniform failure rate any time that the .270 is put to use on these big deer or else African plainsgame is a misrepresentation of the truth.

AD

<George Hoffman>
posted
Gentlemen:
I have had these conversations for years, either around campfires or coffee shop discussions' I would agree to some extent that a .270 is not an end-all to the cartidge/caliber game. I have used the .270
for 55 years. I have taken Mt. grizzly moose
caribou and over 40 elk was taken out of the 71 total that I have taken. One must use 150 gr bullets for the larger than deer animals and I reccomend the premimum bullets in all cases. I believe the the .270 is still no. 2 or 3 in popularity. in the U.S. If I were to hunto only elk or larger game I would probably go the a .338 caliber it is a great killer. However, on most trips I still take one of my five .270's
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KuduKing:
Craig "I'm a gun writer so I have plenty of free time to put in full-time hours in the Marine Reserve which gets me to General as most everyone else is part-time" Boddington

Actually I have wondered quite the opposite about the good General -- i.e., how on earth does he have time to be in the Reserves at all?

In addition to more time afield than virtually any human being, and travel time to get there, he's got to spend time at the loading bench and the range, get gear squared away, drive, fly and ride horses, camels, etc. to hunting areas, go to trade shows, do most of his own photography, pitch articles to editors, haggle with editors over money, argue with editors over copy, and last but not least, write the damn articles, lots of 'em, on top of the occasional book.

And any reservist will tell you that the training is always scheduled at the worst possible time of the month and year, and rarely is it right down the block from your house.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
Here we go again, another session of .270 bashing. Rather than try and defend my reasons for using a 270WCF. I will say that I am sick and tired of this guy coming on the forum every week and slamming the 270.
If 500Grains can't play nice with the other folks around here, particularly the 270 shooters, he should quietly go away!
Nuff Said
ZM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, it was not Boddington.

As far as I can tell, Boddington likes every product/chambering from every company that will send him on a hunt.

The passage was written by someone with less diplomatic skills but more technical knowledge than Boddington.

For those who are offended by these discussions of the 270, you are welcome to voice your views or not read my posts, whichever will make you feel more comfortable.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Wow, critisizing both Boddington and the .270 in a single thread. Must be at the bottom of some sort of cycle.

If we added Ray or Mark Sullivan, I would think that it might be one of the 'Seven Signs'.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of what point you are trying to make....the little experience I had with the .270 was limited to 130gr bullets (all I had) and I wouldn't hesitate to use a premium 130gr .270 on any animal in North America short of a Brown Bear (and probably Griz)...not always the first choice but I could live with it. It was always my understanding that taking the velocity of the 130gr bullet away from the .270 significantly decreasted it's effectiveness.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IMO, the folks who dislike the 270 are ones who have minimal hunting experience. I know of no one with significant hunting experience who dislikes the cartridge. The cartridge has no major flaws so rather than say nothing they make negative remarks that usually have little basis in fact. Similar remarks have been said about the 7x57 and the 30/06.
If we stay with the 270, just look at it's velocity with any of the 130 or 150 grain bullets, all from a 22" barrel! It doesn't burn a quart of powder with every shot, doesn't kick, is extremely accurate and truly delivers the velocity claimed. Show me another cartridge that beats it to any degree worth mentioning for use on deer, sheep, goat, caribou or other similar sized game animals. This cartridge has been aggravating the big bore lovers since it's inception, and they have yet to diminish it's sales one little bit. The advent of the super magnums have done nothing to hurt it's reputation or sales either. The 7mmSTW, 7mmUltra and others like them will never achieve it's popularity or overshadow it's great performance on the game for which it was intended.
As for CTB, he's just another "sterile" rag merchant that cannot/will not degrade any product for fear of losing a freebie hunt or gun. Good writer, intelligent individual and one that I enjoy reading. Too bad he doesn't have the balls to call things the way he really sees them.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John S,

Do you think your statement is fair?

People who criticize the 270 have 'minimal hunting experience'?

The 270 is a great deer cartridge, but as Art Alphin said above, it has been exaggerated into something that it is not.

Sure, a 7x57 has been used to kill elephants. Does that mean that those who advocate the use of a 458 Lott have 'minimal hunting experience?

Come on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did I miss a post by Art Alpin or was the mystery quote supposed to be his? Just because Art said something was true doesn't make it so......I think the Grand Old Man Elmer Keith also said it was a good round for coyotes but I always figured he had an ax to grind with O'Connor.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
"As far as I can tell, Boddington likes every product/chambering from every company that will send him on a hunt." 500grains, wouldn't you? I know I would. Right now I have to pay full freight.

"Wow, critisizing both Boddington and the .270 in a single thread. Must be at the bottom of some sort of cycle.
If we added Ray or Mark Sullivan, I would think that it might be one of the 'Seven Signs'." Steve, that was pretty funny.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
500grs-
Yes, for the most part I believe what I said is/was a fair statement. If a hunter spends enough time in the field and gets to shoot enough animals several factors become obvious.
Experience is a great teacher, and as those here who have many years in the field have said, it is a great caliber. Sometimes it just takes a while before that fact becomes obvious! What is there not to like about the caliber?

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 10-25-2001).]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think John S about covered the 270 in the right way.

I have used the 270 since I was 18 and that makes it 35 years and in every configfuration of rifle including bench rest guns.

In Australia where the 30/06 does not have the prior military status the 270 is the number one caliber in the bigger than "243" stakes. The exception is in lower price rifles like the Howa and Ruge Stainless where the 308 wins. And this of course is also a reflection of it being our military caliber.

The 270 seems to have about the ideal combination of everything going for it.

I agree with John S that only those without long experience will fault the 270 or perhaps it might be those who have only had limited experience with the caliber itself.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Is there any chance, and I mean ANY that 500 grains will ever lose his obsession with taking the piss out of the .270?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope, it was not Boddington.

The passage was written by someone with less diplomatic skills but more technical knowledge than Boddington.

500 Grains:

You are right, I was mistaken.

It was written by Boddington's collaborator, Arthur "So What I Took Money For Guns I Never Delivered, I Was Screwed By the Feds" Alphin, in he A-Square reloading manual.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Not to bash boddington, but merely to be factual. The fact that he was able to spend 6 months on duty last year in the reserves places him at an unfair advantage for promotion in the reserves. His counterparts are required to hold down jobs and support families and struggle to give the corps there weekend a month a two weeks a year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a position on the .270 but I must say that 500grains certainly got everyones panties in a twist in a hurry.
500 grains, play the "if I could only have one gun" game for a moment. What would yours be?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
"As the years went by, many people (including O'Connor) tried to make the 270 into something that it wasn't". ?

By sucessfully taking game with it the world over. Evidently this rubbed some folks the wrong way. Oh well.. If you feel that it is inadequate for your quarry then get over it and get something bigger. End of delima..

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could make a living as a gun writer/ reservist.

Buy a computer, then go see your local recruiter.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert D. Lyons:
I wish I could make a living as a gun writer/ reservist.

Buy a computer, then go see your local recruiter.

I guess that is aimed at me.

Thanks I already did both.

I enlisted as an infantry reservist at 17. 18 years later (including 12 as a regular) I am a reservist major. Even though I must have done something right I am still not making money out of it, but that is not why I do it.

I did get a magazine article published on deer stalking but all that netted me was a pat on the back and �100 from a magazine editor. Not much money there either.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains, did you ever state who wrote that quote??? Or did I miss it?

------------------

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly Boddington spent his 6 months reserve time in South Korea. I've been to Korea and wouldn't go back if they made me King of the Universe. I don't think any reservist who goes back for 6 months, especially overseas someplace like Korea, is on a vacation and I don't see the USMC carrying anyone who doesn't pull his weight. I think the comments are both mean-spirited and unfair to both the Corps and CTB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'It was written by Boddington's collaborator, Arthur "So What I Took Money For Guns I Never Delivered, I Was Screwed By the Feds" Alphin, in he A-Square reloading manual.'

YES, the quote was written by Art Alphin.

"I don't have a position on the .270 but I must say that 500grains certainly got everyones panties in a twist in a hurry."

YES, it is quite easy to do.

"500 grains, play the "if I could only have one gun" game for a moment. What would yours be? "

Depends on what I am hunting. I have several 270's and they are great for deer. But for game in the 400 pound and up range, it just doesn't have the magic that I need. Further, high velocity does not seem to impress the heavier critters much, but big gaping holes through their middle does.

My minimum for elk is an '06 with a 220 Nosler partition, but I strongly prefer a .33, .35 or .37 with a 250 grain or heavier bullet.

But such cartridges are not my choice for deer. I guess I better have more than one gun! :-)

<Paleohunter>
posted
500grains from what I have read a 470 doesnt' have the magic you need either. What was it five shots with a 470 on an elk??

<Bill>
posted
DB Bill,

My comments weren't mean spirted but true. Nor does it cast a bad light on the Corps. As a former active duty Marine as well as a vetern and card carrying member of the VFW myb statement was merely an observation from someone who understands the system. He was more then compensated for his 6 months service in Korea, there are many, many service men who get much less out of it them him.

Reguards,

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 10-27-2001).]

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Well, I got a good laugh out of this thread. Thanks everybody! I wonder what the next panty twisting topic will be...ROFLMAO

------------------
RAB

<Bill>
posted
RA Berry,

Boddington and Alphin always seem to provide for interesting threads.

I think, and maybe I am just giving this forum too much credit, that we managed to get Boddington to drop the rank from his writings.

Take care,

Bill

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Bill,
Maybe so. I think Boddington is getting better. He is more secure in himself, less commercially concerned, and he keeps on churning it out. I still read everything I find of his. I have all his books. If you will recall our big BS session over the Bwana Saeed Index, it seems that Bwana Craig came out with an article on number crunching after we batted around the index thing. Maybe just coincidence. I am sure we are providing him with some food for thought, and inspiring some of his output.

Hi Craig! Keep up the good work!

------------------
RAB

<Fat Bastard>
posted
And tell the people at Winchester to build some more left-hand model 70s! They sold every one they made! Why would they not build more?

<Slamfire>
posted
Who died and proclaimed art "what's 'is name" a gun expert. The .270 is plainly no good, that's why it ranks #3 in sales of both rifles and ammo. That said I shoot 6.5s exclusively, I had a .270 but decided it didn't do anything my 6.5x57 didn't.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
500grains,

Whoever wrote this, he is just showing his ignorance.

Gun writers seem to forget one simple fact - damage to vital organs kills animals, not the size or velocity of a bullet.

I have shot 100s of game animals, including some of what people consider very tough animals like zebra, sable and blue wildebeast. As long as the bullet was placed right, the animals never went very far.

And as our esteemed friend George Hoffman said, use only premium bullets, and I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the 270. Or any of the very similar cartridges like the 30-06, 280 Remington etc.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Saeed said it right about the 270win. Just limit your range on big bull elk to under 250yds and maybe plan on a little tracking safari. The 270 will do the job most of the time under most of the conditions. Notice I stated "most". If you desire an elk rifle which will put 'em down all the time pronto learn to shoot a 338win mag well. If you can't shoot a 338 then stick with the 270win by all means, you're far better off with shot placement and premiuum bullets. sure-shot

<257 AI>
posted
Someone call the DR, 500 Grains is off his medication again! I'll now quote another gun writer; testosterone is not measured on a chronograph. Guess who?

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.