Tools

Oryx hunt.....(lots of pictures)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia wrote:
quote:
And to compare trapping coyotes to spotting one at over a mile, stalking as close as possible, ranging him, dialing the data you've worked hard to develop into your scope, chambering a round that you developed, reading the wind, making a good trigger squeeze, then watching 4 legs in the air at 934 yards, is quite a stretch!

Ahhhh...I see now. I bow to you for that one shot you connected on. It makes ANYTHING else in the hunting world pale in comparison. How stupid could I have been not to recognize that immediately?

Also, where did I ever say all those coyotes were trapped? You are simply assuming something here, and you are off target with that assumption.

But...you know what... I do see a correlation between trapping and shooting a coyote in the arse when the intended target was much further forward. In the trapping world, that would be akin to finding a toenail in the jaws of a #3 coilspring... Big Grin

Lastly, I had no idea that YOU developed the .243 WSSM...says so right there in your post. Congrats to you on that development and a belated kudos to Al Gore for the internet... jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, you even remember the caliber!

You must have pictures of me over your reloading bench too!

I've never had a stalker that I knew of......

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
spotting one at over a mile, stalking as close as possible rotflmo, ranging him, dialing the data you've worked hard to develop into your scope, chambering a round that you developed, reading the wind, making a good trigger squeeze, then watching 4 legs in the air at 934 yards, is quite a stretch!

It was real hunting

No sir, that has f**k all to do with hunting, that is by all definitions shooting, and could just as well have ben done from the car with a solid rest, it still dont have anything to do with hunting.

try to get your knickers untwisted, and stop throwing stones when you apparently live in a glashouse yourself.

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we've all made a post or two that we wish we could take back. I know I have. hilbily

I believe one of the posters here has the sig line something like "It is so easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and don't say it".

I'll tweak that a bit to "It is so easy not to be a d!$k. Just think of something obnoxious and bad spirited to say and don't say it". And if you do let "one of those posts" slip out, don't make five more posts defending your actions. Man up and apologize and buy the world a coke. There's damn sure things worth fighting over, but I don't think this qualifies, especially when it comes to breaking ranks and fighting amongst a group you have much more in common with than differences.

There are multiple threads out there about canned hunts. You could even start your own if expressing your feelings is really so important to you. Getting on a thread about another posters hunt and trashing him is low class. No two ways about it.

For instance, I could say that bragging about a shot, and by doing so, confirming that you are incapable of getting within 3/5s of a mile of an animal isn't what I'd call great hunting , but I wouldn't get on your thread and trash you for it.

Eland Slayer,
I hope you enjoyed yourself, and while we may not all agree with canned hunts, it's certainly not up to us to judge what you may enjoy doing, and damn sure not up to us to judge your parent's graduation gift selection. Excellent photos BTW. Sorry your thread got dragged through the mud. Some folks are just too small minded for their own good.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

Congrats on the great Scimitar Horned Oryx bull. Just a little tip on shooting game with the handgun. When using a non-expanding bullet go for the shoulder shot. You want to break bones. They are some tough animals. I used a .338 on one and was surprised at the stamina.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well, in a very nice PM to me, rcamuglia wrote this:

"If you were truly worried about the possibility of extinction of an animal, you wouldn't shoot one no matter where it was so don't give me that load of crap."

To which I responded:

"The only reason Oryx still exist is because they are allowed to be hunted on private ranches. This gives an incentive to landowners to use their property for raising herds of these animals. If they couldn't be hunted for a fee.....they would have been extinct 20 years ago. There are less than 30 Oryx left in the wild in North Africa, and those were transplanted there from Texas ranches. However, it's estimated there are well over 5,000 Oryx in Texas."

So I'm asking all of you for your opinion on this. Is this concept really that hard for some people to understand? If an animal like the Oryx has no value, it will just go away. How could a landowner justify spending tons of money raising them and using the resources on his property, if he doesn't get anything out of it?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
So I'm asking all of you for your opinion on this. Is this concept really that hard for some people to understand?

For some, perhaps it is difficult to grasp. Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes BT, you did state you trapped them:

quote:
During the 1986 trapping season (Dec-Jan) alone, I took 88 coyotes

If you are telling me you called in and shot 88 coyotes in 2 months, not only are you "Da Man" but where you live has a real predator problem. The preceeding is actually believable.

quote:
I do see a correlation between trapping and shooting a coyote in the arse when the intended target was much further forward

Funny how "missing" your intended target by 10" at around 1000 yards is compared to this. 10" isn't "much further forward" at 1000 yards. The dog was anchored and was still an "X" on my score card....we 'aint gradin' 'em....

quote:
No sir, that has f**k all to do with hunting, that is by all definitions shooting, and could just as well have ben done from the car with a solid rest, it still dont have anything to do with hunting

Well, since it's been brought up and none of you were there, I'll go through it again.

We were on a stand calling coyotes. During the stand my buddy was glassing all around and spotted a coyote at over a mile walk down a bald hill and lay down. Nothing came in on the stand so we decided to try to work in on the dog for a shot. We did stalk as close as we could without being spotted. If you ever have hunted coyotes you know that they are one of the wariest, smartest, animals out there with great vision. We used a hip-high arroyo in front of us as cover since the area didn't have any enough growth for a prarie dog to hide behind. We shuffled about 1/2 mile hunched over to stay hidden until we were directly across from the bare hill the coyote was bedded on. With no cover between him and us, we ranged him and decided to try the only shot we would have. Like all hunting it just happened that way. A long shot was not planned. We were miles from any road and far from the vehicle. It was real hunting and a real good hunting shot.

peter the dk and daniel77, if you could make that shot even from a good rest on your vehicle, I'd be impressed. I expect you to take back the comments about the hunting aspect now that you know what happened, with a witness.

Now on to the real subject matter at hand.

I'm a believer in Teddy Roosevelt's motto of "make sure you're right, and move ahead". Therefore, I stand by my post and will defend it to the end. Those who think I won't are mistaken and don't know me very well. This thread will go more pages than "Hot Core's Elk hunting..." if you keep it up.

All of you posting here are defending the author, trying not to hurt his feelings. I'm sure none of you condone a "hunt" such as this in reality, and if you have ever been on one you'd get the same opinion from me. In fact, if you've done it, by all means post that you have so everyone knows. My intention was to condemn the type of hunt, not trash the poster and I've told him so and all of you. The only condition where this "hunt" is acceptable is if the hunter is disabled. Any able-bodied person should be embarrassed to tell so many he actually did it and was proud of the "incredible accomplishment" of bagging the rare beast. And to justify it by opining about how he is helping save the specie is mindboggling and straight out of the Liberal's Playbook! Justify rediculous acts by envoking "feeeelings" and proving how superior you are to others who don't agree by showing how much you really "care" about the animal.

Complete and utter Hogwash since you shot one.

quote:
"The only reason Oryx still exist is because they are allowed to be hunted on private ranches. This gives an incentive to landowners to use their property for raising herds of these animals. If they couldn't be hunted for a fee.....they would have been extinct 20 years ago. There are less than 30 Oryx left in the wild in North Africa, and those were transplanted there from Texas ranches. However, it's estimated there are well over 5,000 Oryx in Texas."

And if you're saying the exotic farmer is raising the animals out of the goodness of his heart to keep them from going extinct, what a laugher! He is a business owner trying to make a profit selling targets to goobers who want to put a feather in their cap.... the easy way, not the Barta way!

quote:
There are multiple threads out there about canned hunts. You could even start your own if expressing your feelings is really so important to you.

I thought of this but he'd have read it anyway and known why it was started. Dr. Phil never accused me of being overly sensitive and definitely not politically correct. While we're on the Liberal Psychology page, it's obvious to me that all of you have been unknowingly brainwashed by the Liberals and constant pounding by them in all facets of our society....

To you, everyone deserves a trophy. You probably think that grades should be abolished in school so as not to hurt the feelings of those who can't perform as well. Even though we have much more in common, you've been duped.

Sorry, I didn't read the original post, determine the age, sex, and color of the author's skin to make my assessment if the act was acceptable, needed praise, or condemnation like you did because of your concern over everybody's feelings. You are actually doing the author a disservice by reinforcing his going on this hunt with lavish praise for the "accomplishment". Skinner showed that by reinforcing a certain behavior, learning occurs and increases the probablility of the behavior reoccurring. Just what we need, the dumbing-down of all areas of our society, including reducing what we all cherish, HUNTING, to this crap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eland slayer, once again congrats. i realized long ago, that i figured bowhunting was hard, rifle hunting easy and handgun hunting splits the gap. i felt rifle hunting was shooting and bowhunting was hunting. that said, i realized hunting with a spear was even more challenging and perhaps bowhunting was shooting and spear hunting was hunting. then again just strangling the animal was more challenging still. sooooooo hunting is in the eye of the hunter. there's always gonna be people that are holier than though that question what you do. i've bowhunted wary animals and came home empty handed on a highfenced ranch of 1K acres and almost walked into mule deer and got 3 shots at them with a bow free range where the hunting seasons had been closed for 30 years and it was the first open season. now i like to hunt animals for meat and that may be on a ranch or in the wild but i'm more interested in load development and bullet performance on large game than anything, i've done the get within 10 yards thing bowhunting for years.

take pride in your hunt and your trophy and don't worry about internet bullies that think high fence hunting is the end of hunting and don't realize just killing an animal and owning a gun is enough for the anti's to attack us and they will no matter what we do.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in a word, hunt the way you enjoy and never apologize or take lip from anyone.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Dude, you're truly a jackass. How friggin old are you anyway?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
r camuglia wrote:
quote:
Yes BT, you did state you trapped them:

quote:
During the 1986 trapping season (Dec-Jan) alone, I took 88 coyotes

---

I see reading comprehension escapes you, my friend. They were taken during the trapping season -- when pelts were at their best -- and in no place did I ever state that they were trapped. Many were, but quite a few were called in. So, during afternoon recess, try reading it again v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradmark:
in a word, hunt the way you enjoy and never apologize or take lip from anyone.

Amen to that, brother!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'll 2nd that comment by trademark! tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:

More "sophomoronic" dribble from d77.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. I know, not very profound but true nonetheless.
I'm not all that fond of so called canned hunts myself but if the animal is on a thousand acres or more, that's a damned big can.
Elmer Keith once made the comment, "I believe every man should be allowed to scratch his own fleas in whatever manner he chooses." If sitting on a stand waiting to snipe a deer coming to a dinner bell floats some guy's boat, what the hell. It's his dime. If you want to sit in a tree and jump on a deer's back and do the dirty deed with your knife, go for it. Show some tolerance for the other guy. It's no skin off your nose how he hunts. You do your thing and let him do his. It makes the PETA thugs jump for joy to see this kind of bullshit.
So you made a 900 plus yard shot on a coyote. Good for you but let's be honest. It was a lucky shot. nothing more, nothing less. Great for bragging rights, but still luck.
We all have lucky shots. Mine was not that far out. One of my hunting buddies had shot and wounded a deer and it was getting away. e'd shot it in the right ham and could stil move fast. I broke it's neck at what turned out to be 427 paces. The distance was paced by my two partners and myself and we averaged the paces which came out to 427. Strictly a "Hail Mary" shot and nothing more than sheer luck. At least, I'm honest enough to admit it and not claim any great skill at shooting.
I guess though there is one thing we agree on. Too damn many coyotes on the planet. When I lived farther north than I do now, back in the late 1970's, winter of 1978/79 to be exact, I shot enough coyotes for their hides to pay cash for a new 1979 Ford 4x4. That was $7,900 out the door. I kind of wish I still had that truck.
Cut the kid some slack. Let him scratch his fleas his way and you scratch yours however you please. After all, the anti-hunters and annt-gun people just love to see this divisiveness between us. Don't feed their frenzy.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
rcamuglia, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. I know, not very profound but true nonetheless.
I'm not all that fond of so called canned hunts myself but if the animal is on a thousand acres or more, that's a damned big can.
Elmer Keith once made the comment, "I believe every man should be allowed to scratch his own fleas in whatever manner he chooses." If sitting on a stand waiting to snipe a deer coming to a dinner bell floats some guy's boat, what the hell. It's his dime. If you want to sit in a tree and jump on a deer's back and do the dirty deed with your knife, go for it. Show some tolerance for the other guy. It's no skin off your nose how he hunts. You do your thing and let him do his. It makes the PETA thugs jump for joy to see this kind of bullshit.
So you made a 900 plus yard shot on a coyote. Good for you but let's be honest. It was a lucky shot. nothing more, nothing less. Great for bragging rights, but still luck.
We all have lucky shots. Mine was not that far out. One of my hunting buddies had shot and wounded a deer and it was getting away. e'd shot it in the right ham and could stil move fast. I broke it's neck at what turned out to be 427 paces. The distance was paced by my two partners and myself and we averaged the paces which came out to 427. Strictly a "Hail Mary" shot and nothing more than sheer luck. At least, I'm honest enough to admit it and not claim any great skill at shooting.
I guess though there is one thing we agree on. Too damn many coyotes on the planet. When I lived farther north than I do now, back in the late 1970's, winter of 1978/79 to be exact, I shot enough coyotes for their hides to pay cash for a new 1979 Ford 4x4. That was $7,900 out the door. I kind of wish I still had that truck.
Cut the kid some slack. Let him scratch his fleas his way and you scratch yours however you please. After all, the anti-hunters and annt-gun people just love to see this divisiveness between us. Don't feed their frenzy.
Paul B.

Well said, Paul!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were taken during the trapping season -- when pelts were at their best -- and in no place did I ever state that they were trapped. Many were, but a few were called in.

bewildered

I don't think I even need to compose a post to show the self contratictory nature of this rediculous statment. Hilarious!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You can't even quote me CORRECTLY, can you? It stated: "Many were, but QUITE A FEW were called in."

Get it right. Of course, we all know the key words were left out purposely.

You're just diggin yourself deeper with every post. THrow in the towel now. It's obvious you are swimming against the tide here.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the difference?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
diggin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I just wish I had the money to go with him! Nice pics ES. It would be fun to go hunt a large animal with my 41mag (I don't own a 44) just to fill the freezer. And you got a trophy to boot.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It amazes me that none of you can engage in a debate by using reasoning or facts.

I understand it's the shooter's choice of how he hunts. I'm just trying to illustrate how rediculous this choice is. It happens to be my right guaranteed by the 1st Amendment, and Saeed.

It's a valid topic to debate. I hope the reason for your defense of shooting an endangered species that is farm-raised, in a high fence area where they can't escape is better than just to stand up for and protect the feelings of the author because it was a graduation gift.

I bet if Obummer or Nancy Pelosi were the authors of this thread, you'd come out in droves to condemn it.

Hilarious!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia wrote: "It amazes me that none of you can engage in a debate by using reasoning or facts. I understand it's the shooter's choice of how he hunts. I'm just trying to illustrate how rediculous <sic> this choice is."

First of all, there are plenty here who are willing to engage in a CIVIL debate. You did not offer one. You came on here and absolutely degraded someone's experience. And all you ever offered were PERSONAL OPINIONS. You had nothing substantial to validate anything you were trying to bring to light.

Had you been sincere and civil in your approach, the results may have been different. But you came riding in here on your high horse with a holier-than-thou attitude and flatly stated that YOUR methods are SUPERIOR to someone else's.

What you did was in poor taste. Anyone else agree with me?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I do, but only in a sophomoronic way. hilbily Does this mean that my diploma is going to get taken away by RC "the great white hunter", able to get within a mile or so of his prey?

You can continue to play in the mud by yourself, or, at least without me. Adios and welcome to my ignore list. I hope you like being grouped with the likes of Daman.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I hate to cast a pall on your thread or the experience you enjoyed, but I really can't understand how anyone can be proud of taking any game on what amounts to a zoo.

The pictures of the fencing containing the animals really turn me off. I've only hunted big game in areas that are wild. The experience you had I wouldn't consider "hunting"

Sorry.

That was my original post.

quote:
Had you been sincere and civil in your approach, the results may have been different. But you came riding in here on your high horse with a holier-than-thou attitude and flatly stated that YOUR methods are SUPERIOR to someone else's.

Wrong, obviously

quote:
First of all, there are plenty here who are willing to engage in a CIVIL debate.

Really? Here's some examples of what you call "civil debate".......

quote:
No sir, that has f**k all to do with hunting...

quote:
"It is so easy not to be a d!$k....

quote:

Ah, yes, wonderful, civil tools of debate that we all hear every day.

quote:
And all you ever offered were PERSONAL OPINIONS. You had nothing substantial to validate anything you were trying to bring to light

The same as everyone has done including you, yet mine are not allowed because they differ! Right out of the Liberal Playbook....

There's still hope for you if you are a conservative simply poisened by the pounding of the Left

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
It amazes me that none of you can engage in a debate by using reasoning or facts.

since you started this mudslinging/debate without offering any, i did not think it were mandatory to do so Wink
quote:

I understand it's the shooter's choice of how he hunts. I'm just trying to illustrate how rediculous this choice is. It happens to be my right guaranteed by the 1st Amendment, and Saeed.

I am not sure that you 1st admendment are valid here, i think most of us are trying to illustrate how rediculous your posts on this tread are in light of your own way of doing things.
quote:

It's a valid topic to debate. I hope the reason for your defense of shooting an endangered species that is farm-raised, in a high fence area where they can't escape is better than just to stand up for and protect the feelings of the author because it was a graduation gift.

It is a valid topic to debate, sadly you are not trying to debate, but to inform others about their wrong ways because they differ from yours, i dont know the author and dont care to much about his feelings, but honestly i dont think that shooting in a high fence area is that much of a deal to be to concerned about, he put some cash into the farmer's hand which will help the breeding program he has regarding an animal that would be extinct had it not been for this activity, and have a fun shoot to boot.

On the other hand having so little respect for your quarry that you wold demean yourself to do a circus stunt like the one you so proudly boast about, tell me alot about you as a hunter and as a person and i dont care much for either.
quote:

I bet if Obummer or Nancy Pelosi were the authors of this thread, you'd come out in droves to condemn it.

I couldent give two shakes about your politicians, they were your choise so you now have to live it, i am sure you deserve them as much as they deserve you.
quote:

Hilarious!

Yep almost as much as your debating skills.

have a nice day

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
quote:

since you started this mudslinging/debate without offering any, i did not think it were mandatory to do so Wink
quote:

I am not sure that you 1st admendment are valid here, i think most of us are trying to illustrate how rediculous your posts on this tread are in light of your own way of doing things.
quote:

It is a valid topic to debate, sadly you are not trying to debate, but to inform others about their wrong ways because they differ from yours, i dont know the author and dont care to much about his feelings, but honestly i dont think that shooting in a high fence area is that much of a deal to be to concerned about, he put some cash into the farmer's hand which will help the breeding program he has regarding an animal that would be extinct had it not been for this activity, and have a fun shoot to boot.

On the other hand having so little respect for your quarry that you wold demean yourself to do a circus stunt like the one you so proudly boast about, tell me alot about you as a hunter and as a person and i dont care much for either.
quote:

I couldent give two shakes about your politicians, they were your choise so you now have to live it, i am sure you deserve them as much as they deserve you.
quote:

Hilarious!

Yep almost as much as your debating skills.

have a nice day

peter

With that, I'll have to bow to your superior intellect and debating skills. Confused

I have never suffered a more humiliating defeat in any debate as I have in this one. CRYBABY

I'll sure have to file this away to make sure I steer clear of disagreeing with any of you here again! rotflmo Boy, did you show me what for!

I feel like a scolded dog CRYBABY

wave

just kidding.

Bring it on knife

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

That's a very nice looking bull. I shot one a little less than a year ago about the same size as yours, only mine didn't have quite as nice coloration as yours.

As to the remarks about not shooting these animals because they're critically endangered and ranchers only keeping them around for profit. As has been demonstrated time and again in Africa and various hunting destinations (Texas included) putting an economic value on something gives an incentive to keep it around. I was able to shoot an addax and an oryx at a deeply discounted rate because there is a huge scare going around right now that the addax, oryx, and dama gazelle are going to come under some new legislation to make them un-huntable (or at least not without a lot of red tape). The rancher, not wanting to be stuck with a bunch of animals that he can't make money on, is trying to get them all off his ranch. Is he evil, no, he's a business man and wants to make profit. The sole driving factor of business is profit because if you don't make a profit ... well, you go out of business (look at all these companies that have gone belly up in the last couple of years because of the economy).

One of the best ways to keep the addax, scimitar oryx, African lion, Rhino, or whatever around is to put an economic value on the animal through licensed and regulated hunting and to educate (local) people that these animals are worth more to keep around then if you poach them. The rest of the world is often ignorant to this fact because they don't like hunting and/or believe anyone with a gun can go out and shoot as many animals as the like (which is not true). Educating the ignorant, I guess, is the biggest thing we need to do.

Eland Slayer, again, great looking oryx! Aside from a beautiful trophy, they make for some pretty darn good eating.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, since it's been brought up and none of you were there, I'll go through it again.

We were on a stand calling coyotes. During the stand my buddy was glassing all around and spotted a coyote at over a mile walk down a bald hill and lay down. Nothing came in on the stand so we decided to try to work in on the dog for a shot. We did stalk as close as we could without being spotted. If you ever have hunted coyotes you know that they are one of the wariest, smartest, animals out there with great vision. We used a hip-high arroyo in front of us as cover since the area didn't have any enough growth for a prarie dog to hide behind. We shuffled about 1/2 mile hunched over to stay hidden until we were directly across from the bare hill the coyote was bedded on. With no cover between him and us, we ranged him and decided to try the only shot we would have. Like all hunting it just happened that way. A long shot was not planned. We were miles from any road and far from the vehicle. It was real hunting and a real good hunting shot.

peter the dk and daniel77, if you could make that shot even from a good rest on your vehicle, I'd be impressed. I expect you to take back the comments about the hunting aspect now that you know what happened, with a witness.

RC

now that you have explained the situation, i still think you are very much in the dark about what a hunt is, and taking a hail mary shot at a mile away is still a dumb stunt and have nothing to do with the hunting i know and love.

i rarly shoot at anything a mile away and then only paper, because get as close as you can and then get 10 yards closer actually means just that, now had you told me that you walked around the hill to get a better shot i would be impressed, but you took the easy way out, like in your debating skills where you accuse everybody else that dont see it your way of being liberal, since i dont think your political vocabulary is developed enough to contemplate where i stand on any issue, we should leave it at that.

regards

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Eland Slayer,

That's a very nice looking bull. I shot one a little less than a year ago about the same size as yours, only mine didn't have quite as nice coloration as yours.

As to the remarks about not shooting these animals because they're critically endangered and ranchers only keeping them around for profit. As has been demonstrated time and again in Africa and various hunting destinations (Texas included) putting an economic value on something gives an incentive to keep it around. I was able to shoot an addax and an oryx at a deeply discounted rate because there is a huge scare going around right now that the addax, oryx, and dama gazelle are going to come under some new legislation to make them un-huntable (or at least not without a lot of red tape). The rancher, not wanting to be stuck with a bunch of animals that he can't make money on, is trying to get them all off his ranch. Is he evil, no, he's a business man and wants to make profit. The sole driving factor of business is profit because if you don't make a profit ... well, you go out of business (look at all these companies that have gone belly up in the last couple of years because of the economy).

One of the best ways to keep the addax, scimitar oryx, African lion, Rhino, or whatever around is to put an economic value on the animal through licensed and regulated hunting and to educate (local) people that these animals are worth more to keep around then if you poach them. The rest of the world is often ignorant to this fact because they don't like hunting and/or believe anyone with a gun can go out and shoot as many animals as the like (which is not true). Educating the ignorant, I guess, is the biggest thing we need to do.

Eland Slayer, again, great looking oryx! Aside from a beautiful trophy, they make for some pretty darn good eating.

As I've stated before, my opposition to this type of hunt has nothing to do with the specie of Big Game being hunted. I don't care if it's endangered or prolific.

It's funny to see guys posing with their trophy animal that was fed and cared for to grow enormous racks on a high fenced game ranch with a big smile on their face as if they've truly accomplished something. Some photos of supposedly record elk circulating in email comes to mind immediately.

Doing the things you have to do and having the luck to be able to take a free range, fair chase animal even if it doesn't make the book. That's what hunting IMO is about and what a trophy is about. The meat is what is supposed to be on your table, wild. The book it makes is yours. I'm sure the meat in no way what nature would produce with Man feeding it a special diet; you might as well go to the grocery store.

This activity, as I've already stated, should be called anything but "hunting".

"Shooting fish in a barrel" is more appropriate.

How can anyone be proud of an animal taken in this situation when the only defense the animal has has been artificially removed by a fence, and that is its ability to escape?

It doesn't even replicate hunting simply because of that fact.

If you want to do it because of some anatomical deficiency that Dr. Phil is better at describing, then that's your choice but I can point it out and comment on it.

But don't degrade the real hunting most people do by calling this "hunting". It's not even close.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
If animals are on a game farm, or behind a fence that doesn't mean they are necessarily tame or pets. Lots of those game farms are quite large. You are painting with rather large brush strokes IMHO.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia,

Would you prefer if I came out and said that it was, in fact, an easy hunt? Because it was quite easy.....Oryx are not naturally all that skittish, no matter where they are. And in case you didn't notice.....THEY ARE SNOW WHITE.....so they stick out like a sore thumb. I have been on many other hunts that were much more difficult. I don't judge a hunt by the difficulty. I like all hunting, whether it is hard or easy or something in between. If all I wanted was a HARD hunt.....I would beat around the bushes in the Sam Houston National Forest for a week and be lucky to shoot a button buck. I never claimed this event to be some outrageous achievement. It was much easier than most hunting I have done in my life. However, I've wanted a Scimitar Horned Oryx since I was a little boy.....and now I have one.....and I will not apologize to you for that. They are, in my opinion, the most beautiful of the Oryx family.....and the deliscious meat will also be on my table soon. Your lack of basic reasoning skills is truly disturbing. I would very much appreciate it if you would just leave my thread alone and allow others to comment on my original post. Thank you.

And for the record (not that it matters anyway).....I have never entered any animal into a record book of any kind. I doubt I ever will. I hunt for my own personal enjoyment, not to get my name in a book. The only time I might enter an animal into a book is if I was lucky enough to kill a legitimate world-record of some kind.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
If animals are on a game farm, or behind a fence that doesn't mean they are necessarily tame or pets. Lots of those game farms are quite large. You are painting with rather large brush strokes IMHO.

Possibly...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
.....and I will not apologize to you for that. ..... I would very much appreciate it if you would just leave my thread alone and allow others to comment on my original post. Thank you.

Believe me, I don't want an apology. Like I've told you before, none of the threads here on AR belong to the author and none are exclusive as to who can voice their opinion.

If you think my posting has stopped others' ability to post, you're lost. This would have been dead long ago without someone voicing an objection to the activity being called "hunting". You're welcome Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
taking a hail mary shot at a mile away is still a dumb stunt

If you only knew ....

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough, I found the oryx to be fairly challenging. They were well aware of our presence on the ranch and kept quite a distance (and lots of brush between us).

Hunting is used as an operative term by all types to mean various things. If you were to take the amount of shows on TV about hunting as a representation of what hunting is, hunting would be sitting in a blind over an alfalfa field or game trail waiting for a deer to walk by (which I know is a fairly popular and common way of hunting). Is the guy who sits in a treestand any more or less of a hunter than the guy who uses a guide to find a elk or the guy who goes backpacking in Alaska after Dall sheep? No, they're all hunters, they (we) just hunt differently. I bet many guys do all three.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post and info, ES. Personally, I might dump the pic with the fence in the background.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Thanks for the post and info, ES. Personally, I might dump the pic with the fence in the background.

Some of the pics couldn't be taken any other way. Some of the animals, such as the Nyala, were in 1/4 acre breeding pens.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! What would we debate if Mom and Dad bought him a new car instead?

Money was spent….he had a good time…..the world turns round and round.....halleluiah

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote