Tools

Oryx hunt.....(lots of pictures)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Date of Hunt: 7/10/10 – 7/11/10

Outfitter: MMK Outfitters

Guide: Mark Knight (owner of MMK Outfitters)

Weapon: Smith & Wesson 629 .44 magnum topped with Leupold FX-II 2x20mm scope

Ammo: Federal Premium CastCore 300 gr. ammunition (experienced problems…..see results below)

Game Hunted: Scimitar Horned Oryx bull

Game Seen: Whitetail, Axis, Blackbuck, Fallow, Elk, Red Deer, Gemsbok, Blesbok, Eland, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Aoudad, Pure Mouflon Sheep, Nubian Ibex, Hybrid Ibex, Dama Gazelle, Grants Gazelle, White Bearded Wildebeest, Impala, Nile Lechwe, Zebra, Waterbuck, Addax, Nyala, Sitatunga, Pere David Deer, and American Bison.

I was blessed enough to receive this hunt as an early graduation present from my Mom and Dad. I will graduate from Sam Houston State University in December. I have wanted to hunt an Oryx since I was a little kid and I finally got my chance this past weekend. I set the hunt up thru MMK Outfitters. After three trips with Mark, I now have great faith in him and his company. They are a relatively young operation, but with such excellent customer service, they will be around for a long time.

We arrived at the ranch (located near Giddings, TX) Saturday morning and were greeted with a great home-cooked breakfast. We unpacked our stuff and got settled into our rooms. Mom and Dad had their own private bedroom and bathroom, and I had my own as well. After breakfast we headed out to find my Oryx. I’m new to handgun hunting, so Mark and I set up in a pop-up blind, hoping to get a shot within my comfort zone of 50 yards. After sitting for a while, the bull showed up and began heading our way. He actually came out closer than I would have liked at first. He was walking at a steady pace at 23 yards and I grunted to stop him. When he stopped he looked right at me and bolted…..ran about 20 yards and I let out a whistle. He turned broadside at 40 yards and, using my shooting sticks to steady myself, I put the crosshairs right on the back crease of his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Mark was watching thru the binoculars and said the shot was perfect. The Oryx ran across a large pasture and had a solid stream of blood pouring from the exit wound as we both watched thru our binoculars. He ran about 300 yards and laid down where we could see him and we figured he wouldn’t last very long. Well here is where things go south…..

The ranch manager comes and meets us at the blind and 30 minutes later…..to my amazement…..the bull is still alive. He is still laying down, and he looks very close to expiring, so we figure we can just drive over to him and put in a finishing shot. Wrong!! When we get about 100 yards from him, he gets up and starts running again. Both of his front legs are solid red with blood and I just don’t understand how he’s still alive. If you would have showed me a picture of this first shot, I would have bet any amount of money that he wouldn’t make it longer than a few minutes. We spend about 20 more minutes trying to get in position for another shot. The ranch manager drops Mark and me off on a small pond dam and drives the bull toward us, in hopes that I can get a shot into him. Well it worked, thank God!! The bull comes to within 30 yards and stops slightly quartering away and I shoot him high at the back of the ribs since we are above him on the dam and he is quartering away. He starts running again and I shoot him again free-handed while he’s running at 50 yards, dropping him instantly. It was a spine shot. He’s still alive, so I walk up and finish him with a fourth shot thru the chest cavity from the top (between his shoulders) and thru his heart. He dies very quickly.

I’ve hunted my whole life and shot quite a few animals…..and I’ve never had any animal live more than 5 minutes after being shot. Seeing as how this ordeal lasted nearly an hour, I was very upset and nearly sick to my stomach. This ammunition came highly recommended from several people whose opinions I respect. However, I will never use it again. It is designed not to expand, but to penetrate completely thru and thru. I figured a .44 caliber hole should be more than enough to quickly kill an animal, but that simply wasn’t the case. I did my part, my shooting was nearly perfect, even under the stressful conditions of shots 2, 3, and 4. The bullet performance was not to my satisfaction whatsoever.

In any case, it was finished and I had my long awaited trophy bull Scimitar Horned Oryx…..and I am definitely happy about that. He was a mature bull, weighing around 400-450 lbs with 37” horns with very heavy bases. We spent the remainder of the trip taking lots of pictures and doing some fishing. The ranch is mainly a breeding operation for both whitetails and exotics, but they do hunt parts of the ranch as well.

Everything about the lodge and the property was absolutely first class. I’ve visited quite a few game ranches here in Texas, but none can hold a candle to this place. I’ve never seen so many animals of superior quality before in my life. The amount of rare African game was absolutely staggering, as well as their GIGANTIC herd of Red Deer with genetic lines imported directly from New Zealand. They have many breeder stags scoring between 400”-450”.

If you are looking for a great hunt…..don’t hesitate to book with MMK Outfitters. They are truly a first class operation and the best outfitter I’ve ever personally dealt with. You can reach Mark Knight at 281-851-1183 or visit their website at www.mmkoutfitters.com.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures. Some of them have fences in them because they were taken in breeding areas. Please note that they do not conduct hunts in the breeding pens.

Note the placement of the first shot right behind the shoulder. How any animal can live so long after a shot like that is beyond me…..

Massive chocolate Fallow buck bedded down…..

Gemsbok and Impala…..

More Gemsbok…..

Gemsbok and Blesbok with babies…..

Big Nyala bull with one of his females…..

Nice Axis buck…..

Blesbok ram…..

Pere David Deer…..

Massive Aoudad ram…..

Picture of a “Scimbok” (hybrid Gemsbok/Scimitar Horned Oryx)

Zebras…..

Elk…..

Buffalo taking a dip to cool off…..

Red Stags…..

The ranch manager’s pet Ringtail Lemurs…..these were some of the coolest, most friendly pets I’ve ever seen. They were truly amazing.

Whitetail bucks getting out of the sun…..

Absolutely HUGE breeder bull Elk. They expect him to score between 450” and 500”…..

Inside the main lodge…..

Me holding a huge set of 400” Red Stag sheds…..

Big Eland bull…..

Addax…..

Wildebeest…..

Scimitar Horned Oryx…..

Blesbok…..

Blesbok with crazy looking horn…..

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Did you recover any of the slugs?

Can you post oics of the expanded bullets?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
No bullets were recovered. All of them exited, which is what they are designed for. They are not supposed to expand. They are a hard cast lead bullet. I guess I should have known better, but I read many good reports of people using them on all types of animals big and small. I was deeply disappointed.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. What a beautiful beast. One day with our efforts, we may be able to hunt them in their homeland. You captured several species nicely; wonderful studies in their elegance and anatomy.I particularly enjoyed the Nyala pair. Out of school and into La Garganta del Diablo.....good luck. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words bronxfats. Here is another picture of the Nyala pair that I really thought was nice......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics and a nice bull.

Please dont take offence to this but your shot placement was too far back. On gemsbuck and family you need to shoot on the shoulder, not just behind. You only got the lungs and these guys can go a long way on lung shot with a solid/non expanding bullet. If there is a next time for gemsbuck, wildebeest etc then make sure you hit them on the shoulder, break bone and go for the heart.

Well done again

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very nice animal.

How big is the area you have hunted?

No offence:I have never hunted a exotic ranch but this place looks more like a zoo than a place to hunt.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manyathelo:
Great pics and a nice bull.

Please dont take offence to this but your shot placement was too far back. On gemsbuck and family you need to shoot on the shoulder, not just behind. You only got the lungs and these guys can go a long way on lung shot with a solid/non expanding bullet. If there is a next time for gemsbuck, wildebeest etc then make sure you hit them on the shoulder, break bone and go for the heart.

Well done again

I agree, I have only taken 3 oryx, but the damn things are more tenacious to life than anything I have ever hunted; including elk, and pronghorns and pronghorns can go a long ways with tons of ammo in them.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
first of all congradulations on the fine trophy and thanks for the excellent pictures. No to your problem. Like was said in earlier posts no two animals die the same. Ive been hunting with cast pistol bullets for 20 years and have taken lots of big game with them up to 1600 lbs. Handguns arent rifles. they dont impart that knock down smack in most cases. Ive seen many animals drop at the shot but ive also seen just what you experienced. What ive come to do is treat a animal hit with a handgun just like an animal hit with a bow. Unless i can see the animal and absolutely know its dead i will wait at least 30 minutes before i start looking for it. Most times an animal that is hit hard will run a short distance and lay down. Once they lay for a short time there not going to get up again. Chase them to fast and it seems like they find a couple more gallons of blood on the trail. this advice goes for cast or jacketed handgun hunting as there very little differnce in effect between the two on animals. Handguns do not kill with ft lbs of energy or massive tisue dammage. they kill by drilling a hole in the heart or lungs that allows the animal to blead out through. But in the same aspect ive had heart and lung shot deer with rifles go over a 100 yards and liver shot and single lung hits go a long long ways.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophy, it's always important to remember that the lungs are not the spine or the heart.

Congrats on a handgun kill too!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:
first of all congradulations on the fine trophy and thanks for the excellent pictures. No to your problem. Like was said in earlier posts no two animals die the same. Ive been hunting with cast pistol bullets for 20 years and have taken lots of big game with them up to 1600 lbs. Handguns arent rifles. they dont impart that knock down smack in most cases. Ive seen many animals drop at the shot but ive also seen just what you experienced. What ive come to do is treat a animal hit with a handgun just like an animal hit with a bow. Unless i can see the animal and absolutely know its dead i will wait at least 30 minutes before i start looking for it. Most times an animal that is hit hard will run a short distance and lay down. Once they lay for a short time there not going to get up again. Chase them to fast and it seems like they find a couple more gallons of blood on the trail. this advice goes for cast or jacketed handgun hunting as there very little differnce in effect between the two on animals. Handguns do not kill with ft lbs of energy or massive tisue dammage. they kill by drilling a hole in the heart or lungs that allows the animal to blead out through. But in the same aspect ive had heart and lung shot deer with rifles go over a 100 yards and liver shot and single lung hits go a long long ways.

I have to agree with Lloyd.

The bullets performed as they were designed.

Congratulations on the great trophy!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Wow did you ever shoot a nice scimitar.

Your photos are great, especially the blesbok and scimitar photos.

That stag with the big drop tine looks like he will be amazing in a few years.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

Thank you.....and yes, he is going to be incredible. He's only 3 years old right now. I can't imagine what he'll look like in 3 more years.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
A very nice animal.

How big is the area you have hunted?

No offence:I have never hunted a exotic ranch but this place looks more like a zoo than a place to hunt.

The area I was hunting was a couple hundred acres.....

But like I said above, most of the pictures were taken in breeding pens where they breed these animals to sell live.

Scimitar Oryx aren't all that challenging of a hunt, but I have wanted one since I was a little boy. So now I have one and I couldn't be happier. He is at the taxidermist right now.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:

Thank you.....and yes, he is going to be incredible. He's only 3 years old right now. I can't imagine what he'll look like in 3 more years.

In 3 more years he will have rubbed his horns down a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m glad you liked the operation…MMK is where my sons & I will have my Bison & their exotic hunt this November or December.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:

In 3 more years he will have rubbed his horns down a bit.

No I meant the Red Stag with the drop tine will look incredible in 3 more years. Around 6 years old is when their antler growth peaks, much like whitetails.

My Oryx was quite a bit older than 3 years old.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to cast a pall on your thread or the experience you enjoyed, but I really can't understand how anyone can be proud of taking any game on what amounts to a zoo.

The pictures of the fencing containing the animals really turn me off. I've only hunted big game in areas that are wild. The experience you had I wouldn't consider "hunting"

Sorry.

posted Hide Post
I agree with you rcamuglia.

Posts: 7 | Location: Valencia-Spain | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, i have to agree that the bullets worked as expected. i also have to agree that first shot was too far back, what appears to be a perfect shot on a whitetail is not on african game, if you were bowhunting it is highly likely that animal would've been lost. vitals on oryx is right behind shoulder and low, you were lucky to clip the lungs. that said, i agree i don't get the same wound channels with hardcasts i do with high quality expandables, problem has always been to have expandable that stay together reliably, well shoot xtp's or barnes xpb loads (my favorites) and you will get bigger wound channels but slightly less penetration. i hate to say it though, you could've shot that thing with a .375 HH with expandables and it would've run forever. just too far back. not dogging ya though. i've done the same thing bowhunting several times before i really learned african game anatomy. that said, Congratulations, still a more humane kill than anything nature was likely to provide. beautiful animal too.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
also, i don't care where you shoot the animal, what some here don't understand is while it's not the same as tracking the animal through the african grassland, due to these game farms is the ONLY reason these oryx still exist in huntable numbers. they are basically not present in huntable numbers in their native habitats and rumors of them being completely extinct are coming up now. the only reason they exist on game ranches is b/c people like us pay to hunt them. he posted results of his experiences with a certain type of ammo, not to gain approval of a fence or not. this shouldn't even come up. once again, congrats.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradmark:
also, i don't care where you shoot the animal, what some here don't understand is while it's not the same as tracking the animal through the african grassland, due to these game farms is the ONLY reason these oryx still exist in huntable numbers. .

Even worse!

Shooting an endangered Oryx inside a high fenced ranch!

I don't care if it was raised for that purpose. It's amazing what some people consider "hunting".

Enough of the sitting in boxes on stilts overlooking feeders, and in high fenced areas to boot, killing giants for the record book and actually calling it "hunting".

Hunting is getting a tag, scouting an area, then during the alloted season trying to find the animals with a vehicle or on foot.

Pitiful. stir

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome trophy and certainly a lot of good eats coming up! I have to really admire how healthy all the animals appear in those breeding herds.

At least good stock is available should their native lands become a wasteland.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote: "I hate to cast a pall on your thread or the experience you enjoyed, but I really can't understand how anyone can be proud of taking any game on what amounts to a zoo." quote

If you hate to do it...why do it?

This hunt is not to your taste...fine. It's not to my taste either. But the fact remains that these animals still exist today only because of their availability for this type of hunting-for-pay. Would your delicate sensibilities be less offended if they were actually allowed to become extinct?

It never fails...there's always someone waiting in the wings, ready to decry those whose ethics, morals or beliefs don't perfectly align with their own.

Pitiful indeed.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
quote:
Originally posted by tradmark:
also, i don't care where you shoot the animal, what some here don't understand is while it's not the same as tracking the animal through the african grassland, due to these game farms is the ONLY reason these oryx still exist in huntable numbers. .

Even worse!

Shooting an endangered Oryx inside a high fenced ranch!

I don't care if it was raised for that purpose. It's amazing what some people consider "hunting".

Enough of the sitting in boxes on stilts overlooking feeders, and in high fenced areas to boot, killing giants for the record book and actually calling it "hunting".

Hunting is getting a tag, scouting an area, then during the alloted season trying to find the animals with a vehicle or on foot.

Pitiful. stir

That's more than a bit mean spirited, wouldn't you say? You expressed your distate for it in your first post, but didn't have to expound on it again. I hunt primarily with handguns and I think a scoped rifle is too easy, but I don't talk down on others who use scoped rifles. To each his own.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted an eland cow on a high fenced ranch once.

I used my ironsighted 450 No2, because I wanted to shoot something big with it. I also wanted the meat. Another DRSS member hunted one with me as well.

We hunted them on foot, we did not spot them from a vehicle first, but just "started walking".

It was a fun hunt, and it was not easy.
We "worked" harder for the 2 eland than I have on many animals I have taken "in the wild".

As others have stated if it was not for these ranches many of these animals would be extinct.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent Trophy!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I hunted an eland cow on a high fenced ranch once.

I used my ironsighted 450 No2, because I wanted to shoot something big with it. I also wanted the meat. Another DRSS member hunted one with me as well.

We hunted them on foot, we did not spot them from a vehicle first, but just "started walking".

It was a fun hunt, and it was not easy.
We "worked" harder for the 2 eland than I have on many animals I have taken "in the wild".

As others have stated if it was not for these ranches many of these animals would be extinct.

I hunted the Camp Cooley Ranch as well.....in fact, that's where I shot my Eland back in 2003. It was hands down the most fun hunt I've ever been on.....and it was extremely challenging. It took 6 full days of hunting over the course of 3 trips for me to get a reasonable shot at a big mature "blue bull". We walked many miles on that property chasing after Eland.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your photos are very impressive. Wondering what camera/lens and processing software.

Congrats on the Oryx.

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
The camera is a Samsung Pro 815 and I use Picasa, which is a free photo program by Google.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the pics they are clear, sharp and I enjoyed them.

The animal you harvested may very well be in short supply....

But here on AR we have a surplus of Jackass!!! (as you may have read in the above)

Your parents gave you a great gift, thank them tu2

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any problem expressing my opinion when I feel as strongly about something as I do this. I also don't have to resort to name-calling when someone expresses a different opinion than mine.

HC's right about you

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Were you one of the above to express a negative point of view towards Eland Slayers graduation gift from his parents?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Were you one of the above to express a negative point of view towards Eland Slayers graduation gift from his parents?

Twice?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

anyone with one good eye connected to a partially functioning brain by an optic nerve can piece that together.

And no, I didn't express a negative opinion about the gift. My opinion concerned describing the outing as a "hunt" and all the praise about the "trophy" from others. The photos are great, but reinforce my characterization of the hunt as like one in a zoo.

When anti-hunting groups see outings like this it gives them plenty of ammo to further their cause.

How much satisfaction and sense of accomplishment can you get from a "hunt" like this? I would be embarrassed to have people see the mount and ask me where I got it if I had to tell them the truth that I shot it in Texas on a farm that raises them in a fenced property. LOL

I have a real distaste for this activity especially when a clean kill can't even be made on a farm-raised animal.

If you want to do some bullet testing and need meat, pay a rancher for a good looking young steer and "hunt" it.

It would be just as challenging as this bullsh!t.

Oh, next post I'll tell you how I really feelSmiler

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia wrote: "I have a real distaste for this activity especially when a clean kill can't even be made..."

Wow...if that isn't the POT calling the kettle black...

A while back, you took a 930 yard shot on an animal (coyote) with a .24 caliber cartridge/bullet combo that DID NOT AFFORD ANY EXPANSION at that range and had less energy than a .22 Magnum.

And you MISSED the target by 16 inches and hit it in the arse, wounding it and leaving it lying while you rode around and made the drive up to it. Then you dispatched it.

So, since a clean kill could not be made on your first attempt, why did YOU take that shot?????

If you are going to preach, I might suggest you follow the advice of your own sermon... Roll Eyes

--

Eland Slayer-

Nice trophy and great photos...thanks for sharing. tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a comparison and selective quotation there, Genius.

Let's see,

A 934 yard shot that puts down a fawn killer compared to a 30 yard shot at an exotic in a pen?....hmmmmm

The coyote, a fair chase one at that, was even dispatched more quickly.

Thanks for bringing that up Bobby! I almost forgot about it it's been so long ago! I guess it made an impression on you. I sense a bit of jealousy in a guy that would bring it up after so long.

It was an amazing shot that I'm happy I made, especially with a witness right by my side! I love shooting deer and livestock killing coyotes, especially at that range. If I could shoot 100 a day like that, I'd quit my job!

Of course I'd post them here to make wannabees like you who are so envious of something you'll never be able to duplicate even more crazy! Ha!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
rcamuglia wrote: "I have a real distaste for this activity especially when a clean kill can't even be made..."

Wow...if that isn't the POT calling the kettle black...

A while back, you took a 930 yard shot on an animal (coyote) with a .24 caliber cartridge/bullet combo that DID NOT AFFORD ANY EXPANSION at that range and had less energy than a .22 Magnum.

And you MISSED the target by 16 inches and hit it in the arse, wounding it and leaving it lying while you rode around and made the drive up to it. Then you dispatched it.

So, since a clean kill could not be made on your first attempt, why did YOU take that shot?????

If you are going to preach, I might suggest you follow the advice of your own sermon... Roll Eyes

--

Eland Slayer-

Nice trophy and great photos...thanks for sharing. tu2

That is when he made my ignore list. I figured anyone claiming that level of incompetence has to be a troll or does not have the mental capacity to add anything to the conversation.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia wrote:
quote:
I sense a bit of jealousy

During the 1986 trapping season (Dec-Jan) alone, I took 88 coyotes in a stretch of just over 2 weeks. So yes, you caught me, I am highly jealous -- the proverbial green with envy -- of that single, arse-shot 'yote. Roll Eyes

And for your information, I actually have NO PROBLEM with the shot you took. But when you come on here and start preaching your holier-than-thou venom and degrading what someone else has done, then I figure it's time for me to speak up. And I see others feel exactly the same as I do.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've communicated in a PM to him that I meant not to hurt his feelings or diminish his experience or his family's thought of the gift on such a special occasion before you chimed in.

I understand the purpose of everone's posts.

I'm passionate about this type of "hunt" and the way animals are "hunted" in other areas of the country to which are foreign to me. I've never "hunted" that way. I would have to classify it as deer "shooting" as there really is no hunting involved. Put out a feeder or plant a food plot then shoot the animals you've raised from a house on stilts while you have the latest camo pattern on....utterly rediculous to call this activity "hunting".

I've actually heard guys who "hunt" like this say how hard they "hunted" during the season to bag something. They wouldn't last to noon on any hunt I've been on.

And to compare trapping coyotes to spotting one at over a mile, stalking as close as possible, ranging him, dialing the data you've worked hard to develop into your scope, chambering a round that you developed, reading the wind, making a good trigger squeeze, then watching 4 legs in the air at 934 yards, is quite a stretch!

It was real hunting and a real shot that I may not even ever have the opportunity to attempt again. I'm glad I got out of bed that morning!