THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    a must read! educate yourself on terminal ballistics

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a must read! educate yourself on terminal ballistics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/methods.html#solids

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great link, thanks boom stick.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll 2nd oldun on the great link.
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HMMMM. Keep in mind the Linebaugh penetration figures aren't exactly done with the greatest scientific accuracy. Most usually only one shot, into the same media, not changed after shots.

While nice information, it doesn't quantify in anyway, the effect of hydrodynamic shock caused by higher velocity hits, or how that reaction
by the animal, effects charges.

I think you ought to talk to Ross Seyfried, about how jazzed he was killing a Cape Buffalo with a handgun,with ballisitcs similar to the 45/70, before you start supporting using the 45/70 on dangerous game.

Seems to me he designed the .577 Nyati to be a cheap, 600 Nitro express, right after nearly kissing the Cape buffalo he shot with a 45 Linebaugh...

There is a reason the 450 N2 is the standard all other dangerous game rifles are compared to. After nearly a hundred years, that ballistic combination, 480 grains at between 2100-2200 fps
has proven it's stopping, and killing ability, on dangerous game, thousands of dangerous game animals, not wet newspaper, or wood.

The logical conclusion of your argument would be
to use a 7X57, armour piercing, or 30-06 armour piercing round, since penetration is most important.

The beauty of the 375 is it combines a bit of shock, with fantastic, pretty much unsurpassed, penetration, and, you can shoot it without breaking your shoulder. That's why it, and not the 45/70, is considered the standard hunting for most game, for the last 100 years. Oh, and trajectory?

g

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
That is, I am sure, a very interesting essay. I is too early in the morning to absorb that kind of information and to do it justice. I need at least six more cups of coffee before I can tell what he is saying.
Please keep this kind of information comong because inquiring minds need to know.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,
Interesting to read what you have written.
I did a quick scan then put the page on my favourites for a detailed look later. I have to get the cotton wool out of my head first.

I'm Pink therefore I'm Spam

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the ccampfire:
I read over this several times. I contains much more information than I think I need, but one thing comes through to me, that just throwing lead (or copper) as fast as possible is a mistake. YOu have to thake into account the design envolope of the bullet. Too slow and it does not expand. Too fast and it expands too quickly abd does not give the penetration needed. So for hunting purposes, determine the speed at range and load accordingly. It mau mean that we need to take two loadings if we are going to have the possaiility of shooting from long range to short.
JUDGE SHARPE

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GS, Do you have disagreement with the "general shape" and/or proportion of the wound channels shown in the link, in comparison with the other Bullets?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with ALF. This piece has little to do with the reality of killing an actual big-game animal, because animals are not constructed like plywood sheets, telephone books, and the like. Although, if you want to shoot through walls and penetrate bunkers, this piece is probably relevant.

We've all removed the entrails from a deer or elk and seen the construction of the body cavity. The thorax is somewhat like an egg – that is, a rib-cage shell with soft friable insides. For a typical chest shot, the bullet must penetrate the skin and rib cage, which at most are only a few inches thick. Once the bullet is inside the thoracic cavity there’s very little to cause further bullet expansion, even of the softest bullets. The lungs are spongy and filled with air and blood, and the heart and great vessels are firm but essentially blood filled cavities. Because of this construction, I want a bullet that will get through the skin and rib cage, but already starting to expand and even break-up. All the break-up pieces will act like the pellets of shotgun – ripping and tearing tissues in all directions and cutting across many great vessels, thus causing massive internal bleeding, shock, and rapid death. If the vertebral column is hit – GREAT! - the animal will be knocked out, paralyzed, and go down in flash. There can be no more humane death.

Now you’re saying, what about a shoulder shot? Again the shoulder muscles and scapula/leg bones will start bullet expansion and start bullet break-up; such that, once inside the thoracic cavity the deformed bullet and fragments will wreak havoc on the heart, lungs, and great vessels.

Velocity is also very important, because the forward momentum (or kinetic energy) of the bullet is transferred to lateral movement of water as the water is pushed to the side. You’ve all seen the exploding watermelon as a speeding bullet goes through it, and we’ve all witnessed the macabre movies depicting an exploding prairie dog as a high-velocity varmint bullet hits it. This transfer of forward bullet momentum to lateral water momentum explains the EXPLOSIVE (hydro shock) effects of being hit by a high-velocity bullet. The massive hydro shock is very important in the killing power of a bullet.

I’ve used Nosler Ballistic Tips (NBT) for years and killed many big game animals from antelope, deer, elk, and caribou. NBTs are perfect for killing animals, because the bullets are not too heavily constructed. They penetrate the thoracic wall and shoulder and demolish the lungs, heart, and great vessels. I’ve never experienced a failure, and the animals drop dead in their tracks – just like a bomb went off inside the chest. This is what I want – A HUMANE DEATH with minimal suffering.

In summary, the NBT and similar bullets (Sierra Game King) are ideal hunting bullets, both accurate and producing humane kills. I’m staying with my NBTs. Using bullets that are too solid for North American big game seems silly to me, because it's like shooting them with a fast moving arrow. Go with the NBTs.