Find
Notify
Tools

New zeland VS. Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
Has anyone hunted red stag in both countrys? I am starting to plan a red stag trip and would like some input from someone who has been to both places please.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted both yet but I had a hard time deciding this myself. I ended up choosing Argentina for several reasons including; cost of hunt, cost of airfare, and more free range opportunities.

We had a great time and I took a nice stag and a couple of wild boar. The staff and food were great and I have no regrets at all.

However, I still want to go to New Zealand. I don't think there is a wrong answer, just do both Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have.

NZ has much bigger stags. However, they are often in a high fence area. Some of the areas might be rather large. However, they are high fenced none the less. All high fence areas are not created equally. Some may be very challenging. Others might be similar to shooting a farm yard animal.

Also, I am told that many of the trophy stags in NZ are injected with a hormone to grow those massive antlers.

Argentina is a far less physically challenging hunt and a hell of a lot easier to get to.

I love both places.

Posts: 11992 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Larry Nailed it...that is a great summation...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I am leaning tworads Argentina for the plane ride alone.
What about patagonia vs. lapampa? From what i have seen on the tv shows i like the wide open spaces of patagonia better.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Heres an alternative - Australia has pretty good red deer heads these days . Exchange rate is about even , maybe slightly in favour of the Oz dollar but the same to all intents.

Its a big place , with a variety of game animals and some pretty good hunting guides and outfitters. The population speaks a type of english , the beer is mostly drinkable , and the beaches are pretty good. There are enough cities to keep your wives happy , the climate is mostly hot , leaning towards hotter and the food is generally pretty good .

I dont live there , but I do go there to hunt occasionally , hence suggesting it as an alternative venue.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Argentina, and in particular Lapampa or Patagonia, isn't Patagonia mountaneous, and Lapampa a high plain/steppe?

That said, do they hunt Red Stag in the mountains or their foothills?

I have plenty of plains here around me, and would want to see some different scenery...

Thanks,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Check out Argentina Outfitters. They have many excellent stag hunts. There is some magnificent (and varied) terrain that they hunt in. Stunning actually. Great outfit.

Posts: 11992 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
friar,
From the little research ive done, the lapampa is generaly thick rolling brush country. Patagonia is a big place with the hunting ive seen done on the high plains.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Here is my hunt report from 2006.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=685104264#685104264
There are some pictures of the terrain of Patagonia. Reminded me of Wyoming except that isn't sage brush, it has stickers. If you look out over the countryside it looks flat but there are gullies and canyons everywhere.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Thanks blacktailer,
That kind of scenery is exactly what im talking about. Ill put algar on my list.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a South American forum and an Australian/New Zealand forum and this post ends up here.......

Yes I'm an evil person for bringing this up.....

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by odie:
There's a South American forum and an Australian/New Zealand forum and this post ends up here.......

Didnt your mama teach you. If you dont have something nice to say, dont say anything at all Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
So your momma was a fool?

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, this ain't the fire. Take your trash talking home.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted both but have done alot of research as I plan to in the future. I have an outfitter/guide who is a seasonal acquaintance here in MT as he works as a fishing guide in the summers then in winter goes to Argentina.

Argentina is much cheaper and easier travel but watch out for trophy shipments and dip/pack scams. They have very little trophy export infrastructure and many different hunters have been ripped off or had extreme difficulty getting their trophies back. The recommendation was to try to schedule some extra time after the hunt and take heads back as extra baggage.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Hunt99
I have just started learning about some of the export problems. Since i am quickly running out of taxidermy space i am thinking of bringing just the horns back and doing a euro on a fake skull or just an antler mount.

One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Obviously I'm totally bias. BUT consider this for New Zealand and i certainly mean no disrespect to my fellow guides and outfitters in Argentina.
1. NZ plays better Rugby.
2. We speck English and that's English english not american english.
3. We do have bigger stags and its not hormones but genetics and feed.
4. Air NZ is one of the BEST airlines in the world and what's a 12 hr flight these days!
5.There so much more than just hunting here.
6. Clean, friendly, firearm friendly.
7. Great food and wine But the Arge's have that as well.
8. well established professional guiding association and infrastructure to match

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is worth going to NZ just to go to Queenstown!

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:
I haven't hunted both but have done alot of research as I plan to in the future. I have an outfitter/guide who is a seasonal acquaintance here in MT as he works as a fishing guide in the summers then in winter goes to Argentina.

Argentina is much cheaper and easier travel but watch out for trophy shipments and dip/pack scams. They have very little trophy export infrastructure and many different hunters have been ripped off or had extreme difficulty getting their trophies back. The recommendation was to try to schedule some extra time after the hunt and take heads back as extra baggage.

No problem with the larger established outfits. Algar consolidates their trophy shipments and sends them through Miami though their own people. From there it is direct to your taxidermist of choice. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highlander:
Obviously I'm totally bias. BUT consider this for New Zealand and i certainly mean no disrespect to my fellow guides and outfitters in Argentina.
1. NZ plays better Rugby.
2. We speck English and that's English english not american english.
3. We do have bigger stags and its not hormones but genetics and feed.
4. Air NZ is one of the BEST airlines in the world and what's a 12 hr flight these days!
5.There so much more than just hunting here.
6. Clean, friendly, firearm friendly.
7. Great food and wine But the Arge's have that as well.
8. well established professional guiding association and infrastructure to match

One of my best hunting memories ever is a NZ memory. I had shot a good tahr and chamois and had some time to kill. My guide told me to hire a helicopter (we didn't use them to hunt) and we could get dropped off in the middle of a natl park. Since I could hunt there, I brought my rifle.

After we got dropped off we watched glaciers calving for about an hour. Then we started to hike out. We had a 25 mile walk in absolute wilderness. We had to cross a few streams - it was so cold we had to leave our boots on. After two days and 25 miles we reached a major river where a jet boat would drop off fly fishermen. We hitched a ride back, then hitched a ride back to the pilot's house.

That evening, after showers, Ms AZW and I sat at a picnic table with the pilot and my guide. We had a wonderful bottle of wine and ate lamb chops, all the while looking at the spectacular Southern Alps.

Wow. I have to go back.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A had a great time in New Zealand....My free range Red

and a Chamoi on public land, no guide, tons of fun! I will be going back.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote