The young man spent every daylight hour of
those 2 days searching
until a single magpie flew up.
After he ran the 2 black bears off
this is what he found.
"Damn fine job, Clint, Damn fine job"
426 gross B&C
Enjoy and safe travels

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful persistance!!!

When ravenr says its a Big Bull, it is!!!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Flaco,

On September 11, 2001 I took video of this bulls father or even grandfather down south of sheep camp. The huge 3rds and the drop down on his 1st are just like the bull I videoed. I'll see if I can't find that footage

Just after I too, the video we went back to camp and were greeted with the 2nd plane flying into the WTC. I'll never forget that day

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is quite the elk! I'd be elated to hang an elk half that big on my wall. On my bucket list...

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Great Bull!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Bull. Trophy of a lifetime, unless you hunt a high fence. Congratulations.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Impressive work ethic on Clint

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull but after 2 days. I am sure all that was useable was the horns.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bull, and great job staying after it too!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull!
Congrat

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Incredible bull!!! Stuff dreams are made of right there!

Congrats to the young guide! That's the way to do it.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well worth the time put into finding him!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy friggin' bull! Great job by the young gent.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bull, excellent job done by the guide.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a stud, that is a fantastic bull.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job done by that young man.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Where was this?

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry sdirks been on the Mt. a few days and just catching up. The bull was killed in Co.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope that the hunter who wasted that much good meat doesn't claim bragging rights to that rack. Good job by the guide though.

Posts: 238 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
I sure hope that the hunter who wasted that much good meat doesn't claim bragging rights to that rack. Good job by the guide though.

Explain????

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good bull. But like others have noted, the meat is probably spoiled. Speaking for myself, I'd rather have a couple of hundred pounds of elk meat than a big set of antlers. I quit chasing bulls years ago. Now when I go for elk I'm looking for a nice plump cow.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Job!!
Great Elk!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I quit chasing bulls years ago. Now when I go for elk I'm looking for a nice plump cow.

I stopped hunting for bull elk after I killed the only bull I ever killed. All my hunts after that have been for cows. the set of antlers on the wall looks nice and the memories of the hunt are great, but cows just eat better IMO.

As for this situation, I doubt that the hunter screwed up on the shot purposely and the job the guide did thru the whole situation, from getting the hunter set up for a shot on that quality of an animal and then staying after it and recovering the rack was damn fine work.

The hunter probably should not be thrilled with the shot he made but it is still a damn rack to be proud of and he should be damn Thankful for the quality of work and determination of his guide.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, at the risk of being tarred and feathered...

I am a new bow hunter. I have chosen my bow and broadheads carefully. I have one arrow and one broadhead, cut on contact Mangus Buzz Cuts.

After seeing many deer shot on TV with expandables, I will never use them.

The 2 deer I have killed i got complete penetration...

But I do have a problem with these bow hunts I see on TV where they shoot a deer, late in the day, and do not follow it up and/or find it till the next day. The meat is no doubt ruined.

NOT EDIBLE. That IMHO is a Criminal offense, ie wanton waste of game meat...

As a hunter and "eater" of the game meat I kill [the wife and I eat wild game meat 3 to 5 times or more a week] I just cannot condone this.

One of the things I feel, as a bow hunter, is I will not take shots I cannot be sure of.

And here is a scary thing. I have talked to many bow hunters, and I have asked them, of the game you hit with an arrow, how many of them do you recover. ALL of them have stated they loose from 25% to 50% of the animals they actually HIT... shocker

This does not count the ones that find the animal after the meat is not edible...

And remember I am not now against bow hunting, I do it, and I am new to it. But IF I thought I would be loosing 25% to 50% of the animals I actually hit with an arrow, I would burn my bow stuff...

Here is a true story. A person on my lease brought a guest and he "arrowed" a deer.
He made a bad hit. I saw the deer a week or so later, the arrow was in the backstrap of the deer just in front of the rear ham.

I could not get a good shot on him at the time, but a couple of weeks later I saw him again, and the arrow had dropped out. The wound had healed and the deer only had a slight limp.

So my question is this, how many animals does the average bowhunter hit and loose???

How many do you hit, and not find till after the meat is ruined???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if we ever well know the true lost rate for bow or gun hunting. A lot of people never talk about the wounded ones.

Bad shots are bad shots you do have less error with a good firearm and bullet that is suited to the game.

Use to small of a firearm and improper bullet one has to be more carefull of shot placement.

Bow hunting is harder then firearm hunting done right a well placed arrow is very deadly. Done wrong you can end up with a wasted animal.

Only the person who made the shot and tagged the animal has to live with it.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only the person who made the shot and tagged the animal has to live with it.

Don't forget the hunting guide!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
sorry sdirks been on the Mt. a few days and just catching up. The bull was killed in Co.

Thanks for letting us know. My 14-yr-old son has an either-sex tag for the early rifle season in CO. Maybe we'll see this guy's little brother!

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2, If the bow hunters you talked to are losing 25 to 50% of the game they hit, they need to stop hunting. That is unacceptable in my opinion. Unfortunately to many people do not have enough respect for the game they hunt.
I'm not perfect, I have lost 2 deer in my 28 years of bow hunting. Both times it pretty much ruined the season for me.

Posts: 14 | Location: WI | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey sorry to spoil this and get back on topic but....
That is one helluva bull and a great effort on the young mans part to eventually come up with this Bull. Terrible shame the meat was a waste but still an over the top effort by the young guide.
Thanks for posting this ravenr

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Shame he didn't find the bull right away, but glad they found it at all! GIANT! Well done by the guide.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Clint and the hunter on a fantastic bull. We all wish things went as planned, but it isn't always going to happen. A 100% effort was given and the trophy can and should be treasured for generations.

"give it up you negative bastards"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My comments were not directed toward the hunter or guide in this situation, but towards the hunters N E 450 No2 mentioned. Great job by the guide to find that tremendous trophy! I can't say anything bad about the hunter - I'd be shaking to bad to make the shot with a monster like that in bow range!

Posts: 14 | Location: WI | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote