New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longe range hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just wanted to take a minute to share something with you guys that are wanting to shoot game in the next county.

Go to http://www.longrangehunting.com and check out two threads. In the long range hunting topic look at the third page for these two.

1) 946 yd. cow elk

2) 803 yd. ram pics

Can you call this type of shooting ethical? Long range hunting is serious business, absolutley no room for error. I myself was disgusted that the "hunter" shot the elk twice in the hip before finally putting out of her misery.

And the ram after being hip shot hobbled off and "they guessed it died in the ravine"

Just something for you to think about.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have already gone over this, look about 7 or 8 posts down and there is a link to Long Range Hunting.

Here is the link.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/442105553

Stop beating a dead horse.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Your Heiness. Didn't see your horse!

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
No need to apologize, but this topic has been discussed at length in numerous threads.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed it has. As long as it is legal, and you have the right kit, are proficient enough to do it, and understand you own limitations, then go for it.
I know one guy who hunts from a wheelchair. we just sit him up in a good spot, overlooking some good ground, and he'll sit there and wait. His shot, if he gets one, may be 75m, or it may be 480m (the distance to the treeline on the other side of the valley), either way, he is competent enough to take the shot, and his gear is up to the task.
Just an example of one set of circumstances which may require a longish shot to be taken.
Is it hunting? Yes. For him, there is no viable option, it's this or nothing.
JMHO

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a hot buttons item that is like the "less filling, more flavor" beer ads with each side screaming at one another with little flow of information but a great deal of heat and anger.
The long range game snipers have become so paranoid that I'm surprised you could get into their room.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Doss:
Sorry, Your Heiness. Didn't see your horse!

Wasn't trying to piss you off with the comment its just we've discussed this before.

Sorry I tried ot find some horse pictures but not many people shoot them. Well I guess zebras would be considered????? bewildered

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not pissed, just the smartass in me.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebras and NOT horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone shoot a Zebra? Are they good to eat? I am sorry but I hunt for food. Please enlighten me on the logic/reason for shooting a Zebra.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede:

I hunt zebras for the same reason you eat meat: because I enjoy it.

Why is eating meat a morally superior position? You don't have to eat meat to live. People, including many antihunters, eat meat because they enjoy the taste...period.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
Why would anyone shoot a Zebra? Are they good to eat? I am sorry but I hunt for food. Please enlighten me on the logic/reason for shooting a Zebra.

Well firstly, you need to understand that about any meat in Africa gets eaten by someone (except perhaps a hyena). Not necessarily eaten by the shooter, but it does get eaten.

Having said that, I don’t buy the whole argument that the only valid reason to shoot something is to eat it. I take it you would not support the shooting of coyote or prairie dogs?

I have shot feral cat, donkey, pig and dingo for control purposes and sure do not want to eat any of those.

Hunting ethics are a very personal thing, but many hunters seem to want to impose their own hunting standards as a measure of how others should hunt. As long as its legal, just do your own thing and let others get on with theirs

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swede, I would guess you spend most of your hunting time in the local grocery store.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said, Fergus

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fergus_Bailey:
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:

Well firstly, you need to understand that about any meat in Africa gets eaten by someone (except perhaps a hyena). Not necessarily eaten by the shooter, but it does get eaten.

Having said that, I don’t buy the whole argument that the only valid reason to shoot something is to eat it. I take it you would not support the shooting of coyote or prairie dogs?

I have shot feral cat, donkey, pig and dingo for control purposes and sure do not want to eat any of those.

Hunting ethics are a very personal thing, but many hunters seem to want to impose their own hunting standards as a measure of how others should hunt. As long as its legal, just do your own thing and let others get on with theirs

Fergus

I am not trying to impose my own hunting standards on anyone this is why I asked to be enlightened. I have not had the chance to go to Africa and hunt not due to the lack of desire but more the lack of money.

I have no problem with anyone shooting an animal (Zebra, etc...) as long as it is not left to rot. I have heard about people shooting Bucks here in Kansas only to take the Rack and backstraps. It is called wanton waste and is illegal in this state.

I also have no problem shooting Coyotes because they kill a lot of game and peoples livestock (this is what I have read here on the forum) and P-Dogs are rodents that (are a nuisance to the farmers) which the Yotes, Crows, and Owls will clean up.

I am not an anti-hunter by any means I am a Life NRA member and enjoy hunting as much as anyone else.

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Swede, I would guess you spend most of your hunting time in the local grocery store.

Not really but it is a lot cheaper. lol

About all I hunt anymore is Deer with my friends.

Swede

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
JD, one thing you have to realize is that forums like longrangehunting and precisionlongrangehunter were spin offs of threads like AR.

Over the years, you will find it's kind of like churches. You'll get a group within a group that have different beliefs on the topic at hand. Once there's been enough disagreement on things like ethics, lung shots/shoulder shots, spine shots, distance, etc., the "church" splits, so to speak.

Yes, there are guys that used to post here quite a bit but have left because of differences in opinion on ethics, especially long range hunting/shooting.

Obviously, the goal for ANYONE is to never wound an animal, regardless of weapon or distance. However, I was miffed at the elk shot because the guy that did it had only practiced to 400 or so yards.

I'd have to say this too, and this is JUST my opinion. I think sometimes, there are guys out there that dump an animal at distance "X" and embelish a bit for their peers and add a few more yards so they "fit in." I have no evidence of this at all, but the thoughts keep crossing my mind.

I personally like to tag paper way out beyond 500 yards.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns