THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    32" wide blacktail buck near Paso Robles

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

32" wide blacktail buck near Paso Robles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering if anyone heard about a 32" wide buck being taken in the Paso Robles area the past few weeks. Good friend of mine called me to tell me about it. He is supposed to forward me a photo of the buck. He said it was a 3 x 2 not very tall antlers but 32" wide is something else.
Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see it.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow, I grew up just south of there and 90% of the bucks that I saw were smaller than half of that.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I get the photo I will try to post it here. It was shoot in the Shandon area near Paso.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, we hunt pigs north of there in Parkfield and have never seen a buck like the one you describe. Would love to see the photo.
lb

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I grew up just north of Shandon (in Parkfield) and have leased several ranches in Shandon. I very rarely hear of any bucks over the mid-twenties wide.

There are many thousands of acres of vineyards and some alfalfa grown around Shandon so they do have some good feed, but even the liars don't claim to take anything over the high-twenties wide so a 32" buck would be pretty ridiculous for this area.

I'll ask around a bit though.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a Bench Buck?

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
So I checked around with a bunch of people today. If this is true… they are sure keeping it a good secret. So far I’ve checked with several locals who have a great ear to the ground out there around Shandon (as do I) and they haven’t heard anything.

A friend who lives in Shandon, is a serious hunter, knows all the ranchers and does heavy equipment work on the various ranches hasn’t heard about anything that big.

The game warden Lt., another serious hunter who finds about most everything legal or not, hasn’t heard of anything that big.

Another friend who grew up on a large ranch outside of Shandon, and now drives Fed Ex truck to all the locals, hasn’t heard anything.

A fellow guide who networks with a ton of local hunters hasn’t heard anything.

And the VP of Weatherby, who knows most of the local outfitters as well as ranchers, hasn’t heard anything.

It’s pretty strange no rumors have gotten out locally about a 32” buck. In my checking around today I did hear about a 26” fork (west of Paso Robles), a mid-twenties 3x4 (east of Paso Robles) and a super heavy mid-twenties 4x4 (Parkfield), but nothing wider than that.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still working on getting the photo. I talked to a rancher friend of mine from San Lucas and told him about this buck. He says he heard of someone getting a buck out of San Miguel opening weekend that was a 3 x 2 that was 25 or 26 wide and another 4 x 4 that was 22 taken out of the foothills east of Gonzales but nothing of a 32" buck. I need to see the photo.