THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Big Louisiana Buck 215 7/8" non typical
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Louisiana Buck 215 7/8" non typical
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
A friend of mine e-mailed these pictures to me of an Archery killed Louisiana Buck, Non-Typical killed in Tensas Parish 215 7/8".
Nice Buck!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sick bro! Wow, that coon-ass deer must have been eating down in the quarter!.........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wow...what an impressive buck.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great deer.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That is one hell of a buck for Louisiana!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a nice deer! Any idea how much it weighed?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i love it.
pure coonie strain.
hopefully we can get the whole story.
congrats Beudreax.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snellstrom. That should lite a fire under "Reloader".

What a WHOPPER!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I don't have much more on this great deer just that a fella by the name of Brett Braddock sent the pictures to a friend of mine and said his father in law killed it with a bow. A game official net scored it at 215 7/8" but an official measuring will need to be done after the drying period.
Pretty nice for a free ranging wild deer without genetic or feed supplements!
Eeker

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yep, he's a brute. I good friend of mine emailed the pics last week.

From hearsay, all I know is it was thought to be taken Tuesday eve on a big money club in the Miss River Delta. The mature bucks in that part of the country regualrly hit 220-250lbs, but I don't think they found this one until the next morning hence the huge bloated body due to our temps in the 90s this past week. If that's the case the meat was ruined. It's a heck of a buck for sure, I can't imagine arrowing a critter like that.

There are some very nice deer taken in the Delta every season on the big money clubs over that way. Even the private land owners in that region take some brusiers.

It's been so dang hot here I wouldn't even imagine going over to my spot in the Delta to bow hunt. The mosquitoes will flat out eat you alive there in warm weather, worse than anywhere I've hunted. I usually only early season bow hunt in the piney hills where the mosquitoes are not so bad, just have to worry about the chiggers.

quote:
Sick bro! Wow, that coon-ass deer must have been eating down in the quarter!.........

Hey, those coon asses live South of Alexandria! There's an imaginary line across the state that divides North La from South La, two totally different areas in many senses Big Grin

Ya'll have a gooden,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
... I don't think they found this one until the next morning hence the huge bloated body due to our temps in the 90s this past week. If that's the case the meat was ruined. ..
Completely agree that it is bloated from not being found quick enough.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
... I don't think they found this one until the next morning hence the huge bloated body due to our temps in the 90s this past week. If that's the case the meat was ruined. ..
Completely agree that it is bloated from not being found quick enough.

That's really a damn shame.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that's the case the meat was ruined.

not for a coon ass. he can make it work. red beans anyone?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Come on guys get real.....look at the damn picture.
How many "Big Money Clubs" do you know in a frickin' trailer park!
By the way my brothers antelope had a huge swollen belly when he shot it on Sunday that didn't look much different than that buck from LA.
I can't understand the bunch of you sometimes.
Just try saying something nice about someone elses accomplishment sometime and enough of the negative thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with 4 coonies on the club lease in Ar.
Its always a hoot when they show up. i can tell you, those boys let very little walk. they bring all the kids and the kids tag out as well as the adults.
every year those bous start a pot of red beans and just keep adding to it everyday, by they never take it off the stove.
when i first met them i was pretty young and i would sit and listen to them talking to each other and i would think "damn, i know its english but what are they saying?".

snell,
the reason some people want that to be something other than it is ( a good ol boy who killed a mighty fine deer) they want it to be something else.
if its just good hunting then it flies in the face of the $7500 rack on thier wall, get it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they didn't gut it before they brought it home?

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one awesome Buck!!!!

Don

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,

Call it what you want, I live here and know several people that live in the area that buck was taken. I believe it came from a big money club. I talked to another friend about it this week.

I'm willing to bet that was probably not that fellas house, more like the camps.

It's not a bad thing that it came from such a place. It takes money to play the game and quite a few trophy clubs in that region have great management practices yielding great bucks every season. There's not many high fences in La, just good management in some areas. You can typically get into one of the trophy clubs in the Delta for $3,500-7,000 a year, but some have up front cost in the neighborhood of $150,000-$200,000+, you recoup that cost when you sell out. Too rich for my blood.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Snellstrom, Depending on if the Game has been running, the Ambient Temperature, the type of brouse they have recently consumed, and how much water is in the Game causes the Gas to generate. I've seen our Deer Bloat in 2.5-3 hours with a less than stellar "rifle" shot.

You mentioned it was Bow killed and the ones I've tracked seem to run a good bit even with a fairly decent shot. The running increases the carcus temperature very quickly and since the lungs shut down, there is nothing to cool the Deer.

If they have shed the Summer Hair(Solid) and the Winter Hair(Hollow) has replaced it, then it is like they are wearing a complete wrap of Insulation. Ours generally happens about the same time as the Velvet sheds. And as the picture shows, it is just ready to begin shedding the Velvet.

All that combines to create the Bloated condition and as I just said, it can happen fairly quickly. Looking at the first flick, it would be possible to walk within 6' of the Deer and not notice it.

I'm not able to see a distinct "Exit" or "Entrance" unless it is the small non-bloody depression just behind the shoulder. If the majority of the (hot)Blood stayed inside, that also contributes to the Bloating.

Nothing negative about it, it is just the way it works in the Southeast. And if they found it within 3-6 hours, the meat should be OK. It is easy to tell with the old faithful simple "Nose Test".

Still a great Trophy, nothing negative about it.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snellstrom,

Call it what you want, I live here and know several people that live in the area that buck was taken. I know it came from a big money club. I talked to another friend about it this week.

I'm willing to bet that was probably not that fellas house, more like the camps.

It's not a bad thing that it came from such a place. It takes money to play the game and quite a few trophy clubs in that region have great management practices yielding great bucks every season. There's not many high fences in La, just good management in some areas. You can typically get into one of the trophy clubs in the Delta for $3,500-7,000 a year, but some have up front cost in the neighborhood of $150,000-$200,000+, you recoup that cost when you sell out. Too rich for my blood.

Good Luck

Reloader

reloader, what part of N LA are you in?
are you near lillie?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Found out alittle more info. It was taken in Somerset, I'm not sure if it was taken on the island or which club it came from. Lots of trophy clubs in that area.

It was taken Tuesday Evening and found Wednesday morning. The temps were in the 90s here last week and hovering in the upper 70s at night so I doubt he was able to salvage the meat. He'll be lucky if the hair doesn't slip on the cape. I'm sure Louisiana Sportsman along with many other will be doing full interviews and we'll get all the details. They'll score him again in two months officially and see if he's the new La PY record. Outstanding buck for sure, don't know that I'd want to be holding a bow when that big guy showed.

KS,

I'm currently living in Minden, in the NW part of the state. I lived in Monroe for years. We have land and a camp in Marion which is about 40 miles east of Lillie.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy those pics. After they realised those horns were soft those coon asses ate em'.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck but how did it die? Mighty blood free for an arrow shot buck. Must have scared him to death.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
I wonder why they didn't gut it before they brought it home?

quote:
posted by Snellstrom
How many "Big Money Clubs" do you know in a frickin' trailer park!

That's not "HOME" in a trailer park! That's a Louisiana "CAMP"!
Most hunting people, in LA, have a permanant hunting/fishing camp, usually an old self contained camper , or a house boat. That camp was probably within a couple of miles of where the deer was arrowed, then brought to camp, where they usually have a hoist rack for gutting, and skining!

There are some very expensive hunting clubs there, but most are simply plots of delta, or swampy leased private land, where the club buys the hunting rights. The only easy hunting land in LA is the paper co. lands, as all of LA is privately owned, or is under no hunting restrictions. In many Parishes in LA, it is against the law to fire a firearm, unless it is on a fireing range, or in a hunting club's lease land. That is the reason there are so many bow hunters in LA. In Lafayette parish, in Acadiana, it is illegal to fire a firearm at all, except at a fireing range.

That is a beautiful deer, thumb and I hope it didn't lay out long enough so the hair will slip. The meat is gone, most likely. Frowner

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reloader, i have a house about 50 miles from you in Smackover AR.
im camped up with Yokum over is Lisbon.
I have been hunting that area for over 25 years. i drive thru Monroe and dad flies into there.
perry, you must have been around some of those coonies, huh? "uh lill black peppa and de be jes rite."

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Outstanding deer!

But I'm surprised that everyone has complimented it considering that it was taken in a state that is so close to Texas.

popcorn

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
i love it.
pure coonie strain.
hopefully we can get the whole story.
congrats Beudreax.

I'm not sure there's any "pure" coonie strain of deer in Louisiana. When Louisiana was restocking their almost completely depleted deer herds (cajuns will eat ANYTHING and make it taste good too) most of the deer came from Minnesota or possibly Wisconsin( I believe, I'd have to check on this, its been a while). For sure, there are some HUGE deer, racks and bodies, along the Red River from Shreveport South to Alexandria that came from these efforts.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gato,
Iff I recall correctly, the Game Wardens and the Ag Depart in LA got into a pissers over stocking and game ranches as to who had control over the imported deer...

the ag department won, and basically all the breeding programs went down the tubes for importing deer.

tensas parish is currently in "still" hunting, so the gent was certainly hunting from a stand, at a feeder, or at least over a food plot....

how the hell do I know anything about hunting in LA?

my inlaws (and outlaws) are in the shreveport area, and I ws on their leases for about 10 years, until the licenses tripled in price in one day.

In shreveport, they call big bodied heavy masted bucks "arkansas deer" ....

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38658 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful buck. Congratulations to the hunter.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jds wrote:
quote:
But I'm surprised that everyone has complimented it considering that it was taken in a state that is so close to Texas.

That's a great point. Had the deer been killed under the EXACT same conditions in Texas, KSTEPHENS likely would have been all over it like a fly on manure, and tasunkawitko would have been there patting him on the back. Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ADHD, bobby? can't handle a debate in-topic, so you spread lies about members in another topic?

i sure am glad that i've got people letting me know about your duplicity.....i thought that you boys dealt with things like men, but it appears that i was wrong. perhaps instead of running cattle or deer on your ranch, you should run sheep.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko wrote:
quote:
so you spread lies about members in another topic?

Find ONE PLACE where there is a lie in my post. I don't take being called a liar lightly, and I depise those who choose not to speak the truth.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
ADHD, bobby? can't handle a debate in-topic, so you spread lies about members in another topic?

What lies did he spread here?

quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:

perhaps instead of running cattle or deer on your ranch, you should run sheep.

jumping jumping

NOW! tasunkawitko that is funny, considering it is from someone from Montana, the home of nervoues sheep! Big Grin

Kidding, and questions asside, would you do everyone a favor and reduce the size of those pictures in you sig line! They take up a lot of bandwidth, over, and over again.

I did, however, wounder why the exaulted Mr. Stevens didn't slam the guy for shooting a deer within 1000 miles of Texas, or ask about a radio collar, or ear tag. You must admit, tasun, there seems to be more than a little bias in his posts when the same subject involves Texas, as opposed to other places.

LA is a fine state but suffers from one of the same problems as Texas, and that is private property, and hunting access, plus LA has the added deal with imported deer, and again like Texas, imported people from other places, trying to chang things to the way they were where sver they came from.

That fact doesn't mean the deer aren't wild,any more than it does in Texas, just that if you want to hunt, and you don't own property, you must either hunt the paper co. land, or, pay a trespass fee, or join a very expensive hunting club.

How do I know? I've had very, very close ties with the state of LA for 46 yrs of marriage to a woman born in Lafayette, LA, in a family that has lived in LA since the late 1700s! I have done a lot of stomping around in LA mud, with "Cajuns", and "Zwolle Tamalles", Or COON ASSES, and MEXICANS, if you prefere derogatory names ! beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko wrote:
quote:

If I ran sheep, I'd probably have to put up with you volunteering to "tend" the flock. Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
jds wrote:
quote:

That's a great point. Had the deer been killed under the EXACT same conditions in Texas, KSTEPHENS would have been all over it like a fly on manure, and tasunkawitko would have been there patting him on the back. Roll Eyes

good topic roll over, but since the only thing we know is that the deer is dead and the only jeffeosso comment that "tensas parish is currently in "still" hunting, so the gent was certainly hunting from a stand, at a feeder, or at least over a food plot...." i'll reserve the right to comment on the ethics of the kill.

however a search of the net has shown me no "ranches" in tensas parish nor are thier any high fence breeding farms.
as well i have looked at the pictures and fail to find a single bag of grain, Rolex or cadilac SUV.
so, at the very least the hunter from LA has shown modesty.
oh, I'm sorry...
Noun Modesty- freedom from vanity or conceit
modesty - formality and propriety of manner

but time may tell
still, your efforts to draw me out are noted.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
KSTEPHENS wrote:
quote:
however a search of the net has shown me no "ranches" in tensas parish nor are thier any high fence breeding farms.

So THAT'S what you base everything on: a search of the 'net. That figures.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not No, But Hell No!

With all the imported yankees,rednecks, and
hillbillys around these days we would get accused of genetic manipulation of sheep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
KSTEPHENS wrote:
quote:

So THAT'S what you base everything on: a search of the 'net. That figures.

you prefer to carve the words of jeffeosso in granite?
that figures as well.
i guess you have decided without facts and I have reserved commment until they are in.
please tell the name of a highfence range or whitetail breeding farm in that parish and i will apologize to you.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Mr. Stevens on one thing! It is evident Jeffe doesn't know what "STILL HUNTING" means. JEFFE, "STILL HUNTING" mean stalking, not sitting on a stand! Sorry but he's got you on that one!

SORRY about the hijack of you post Snellstrom!

Guys lets take this to another thread, or back to the one where this started, and leave Mr. Snellstrom to his gloow, in the harvest of a fine Whitetail deer, with his bow!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
as well i have looked at the pictures and fail to find a single bag of grain, Rolex or cadilac SUV.
so, at the very least the hunter from LA has shown modesty.

Very interesting. If it's not in the picture it didn't happen?

By the way you could be a tad modest yourself. That sure looked like a Steyr SBS you were holding in the picture with your deer. Wouldn't a Savage or Stevens been a bit more modest? There also was a truck in your photo. Did you possibly shot the deer from the truck? It was in the photo after all.