THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Range for "hunting" vs "shooting" a big game animal with a rifle.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range for "hunting" vs "shooting" a big game animal with a rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nelsonted1:
What happens when you are 500 yards from your deer, he takes a step as you pull the trigger and you now have a cripple you have to find and finish. You start walking and 250 yards into it with no landmarks or spot of reference you realize it's almost hopeless. But you walk 500 or was it 465 yards or was it 510 yards? You look for a blood track, maybe a drop of blood here and there but where?

I don't go for this whole topic since I always wonder how I'd feel if I'd missed the shot and had to deal with finding the animal.

Who are you directing your comments toward? If you are directing them toward me,Then PM me for an adress to send the check as you lose.I do not walk off anything to determine distance I use a Swarovski 1500 lasar range finder and a Nightforce rifle scope with the NP-R2 retical if you are not familar with these then check out the link http://www.nightforceoptics.com/ My favorite for hunting is the 3.5X15X50. As far how large of a caliber than I have how about a 505 Gibbs,as for as size of game how about Alaskan Yukon Moose are these large enough?Are a 7' Artic Grizz with a 475 revolver do any of these qualify as larger than a Kentucky whitetail.Just because don't want to,can't or have never experienced,how does that qualify you to judge.What about the once a year hunter that wounds more game at 50 yards or under than he kills what is your take on this and it does happen

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP475
AnotherAzWriter

Ben Avery shooting range is north of phoenix and
it has a 1000 meter range. might be fun! Hell
I'll pull targets and flag hits. Might be a good time, after the shooting is over I'll buy 1st beer beer

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RM007:
JWP475
AnotherAzWriter

Ben Avery shooting range is north of phoenix and
it has a 1000 meter range. might be fun! Hell
I'll pull targets and flag hits. Might be a good time, after the shooting is over I'll buy 1st beer beer

That's an offer that is impossiable to turn down.It will be fun to meet and shoot with some of the guys from this forum. Iwill let you know when my job starts in Chandler

one of us
posted Hide Post
RM:

It is not open to public for 1000 yard shooting; max is 200 yards. At least, that was the rule about 6 years ago. Did it change?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll call Game and Fish monday morning they run the range. Range is open wed-sun
I think we can use the six hunderd with spotters
if not there is the silohite and high power range. I shot the hanging gongs for three months
before my first African hunt. this could be a hoot jumping

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry about the spelling been reading to many of digital dans posting Big Grin

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
RM:

Please post what you find out. That would be fun to have a LR shoot. When I checked on the range it was not open to the public past 200, so I never bothered as Rio Salado goes to 300. Normally I just go out to the desert.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
RM:

Please post what you find out. That would be fun to have a LR shoot. When I checked on the range it was not open to the public past 200, so I never bothered as Rio Salado goes to 300. Normally I just go out to the desert.

I know that the range at Casa Grande goes to 300.But manny people set up targets past the 300 yard line against the mountain.I shot there last year.

AZ check your PM

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and when the game takes off, with no apparent signs of a hit, they chalk it up as a miss and don't even go to where the animal was standing to look for blood.

I have seen the same thing happen to game shot at very close range.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who are you directing your comments toward? If you are directing them toward me,Then PM me for an adress to send the check as you lose.I do not walk off anything to determine distance I use a Swarovski 1500 lasar range finder and a Nightforce rifle scope with the NP-R2 retical if you are not familar with these then check out the link http://www.nightforceoptics.com/ My favorite for hunting is the 3.5X15X50. As far how large of a caliber than I have how about a 505 Gibbs,as for as size of game how about Alaskan Yukon Moose are these large enough?Are a 7' Artic Grizz with a 475 revolver do any of these qualify as larger than a Kentucky whitetail.Just because don't want to,can't or have never experienced,how does that qualify you to judge.What about the once a year hunter that wounds more game at 50 yards or under than he kills what is your take on this and it does happen

I wasn't going after anyone on this topic. Glad you brought yourself up, I would have missed you if you hadn't.

THere was a guy here a few years ago that said he long range hunted during his lunch break. That is the thinking I was addressing.

I keep being told I hunt only in KY, I'm not even from KY!

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Can't argue with that logic.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
It depends where and what you are hunting. Although most of my hunting is well under 100 yards, I have taken antelope out to 400 yards. I suppose there are times that I could reduce that distance by half if I worked a little harder; however, sometimes it's not an option.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP475
AnotherAzWriter

Ben Avery 1000 yrd is membership only shooting
and closed till nov.

tucson rifle club has a 1000 meter range open to their members cost $35 for year. each member allowed 1 guest. Bruce Wright is in charge and says he wants one person to come down and be shown setup before group using range. He also suggest that we schedual a date and have the range to our selves. His # 520 822 5189
With a little effort we could have a group shoot for AR members ? Could be a lot of fun putting faces to some taglines jumping

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

DRSS
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
JWP475
AnotherAzWriter

and closed till nov.

tucson rifle club has a 1000 meter range open to their members cost $35 for year. each member allowed 1 guest. Bruce Wright is in charge and says he wants one person to come down and be shown setup before group using range. He also suggest that we schedual a date and have the range to our selves. His # 520 822 5189
With a little effort we could have a group shoot for AR members ? Could be a lot of fun putting faces to some taglines jumping

Sounds like Tucson it is

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
JWP475
AnotherAzWriter

and closed till nov.

Sounds like Tucson it is

We can always wait until they lift the shooting ban in the desert; I am pretty buys until the middle of July as it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me the difference between "shooting" and "hunting" largely depends on the animal being pursued and is a complicated and personal matter. For instance, a 150 or 200 yard shot at a brown bear or a cape buffalo off a solid rest would be "shooting" to me. Anything more than 60-75 yards would be (for me, and I've never taken (although I've had the opportunity) longer shots at these animals. On the other hand, a 400 or 500 yard shoot at a 225 mule deer or a 360 elk across a canyon would be hunting, especially in the late season or in certain western states, as you may be unlikely to get any closer to that animal. The same shot at a small buck or bull again would be shooting, as I can think of no other reason to take that shot other than to see if you could execute it. Although in September, during bugle season, I don't think I've shot a bull elk at anything more than 35 or 40 yards, not necessarily by choice, but dictated by the terrain and cover.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote