Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Montana mountain goat
 Login/Join

posted
After more than 20 years of applying and always getting a check back in mid summer, this year I was lucky enough to draw one of four mountain goat tags in central Montana. This tag is for a small but rugged mountain range 30 miles from my home. As fall arrived, preparations were finalized and the hunt was at hand. I wanted to do this the old fashioned way. No outfitter or guide, no payment for private land hunt, no horses or ATV, just go in on foot on public land and do the best you can.

Mountain goats live in the most god awful, miserable, beautiful country there is.
Although these mountains are not tall, they are steep, rocky, cliffy, in short made for goats.

The best part of the hunt for me was that my wife enthusiastically walked every step of the way with me for 6 days. Up steep shale scree, across ridges and peaks with wind gusts up to 50 MPH, down snow covered steep rock slides, always right with me. My only disappointment was that she wasn't able to continue to the conclusion due to our daughter's fall volleyball and basketball schedule. If you have a wife that will gladly do this, a guy doesn't need much more.

After 12 days of hunting, and over 60 miles (as the crow flies by GPS)and several near misses, a good friend and I finally made the right climb, the right stalk, on the right goat. We spotted the goats on top, watched them feed up and over to the backside, and up we went. As we came up over the top and down the back side, we spotted a single goat laying down 7o yards below us. We sat in 20 degree temperature, facing into a 30 MPH wind for over 6 hours waiting for them to get up and move out of doghair thick timber. I have probably been colder, but I don't remember when. When they finally moved, we were able to catch them at the bottom of the slide as they went back up the next ridge. A single shot at 90 yards was anticlimax to a great hunt.

A few final thoughts for those entertaining a mountain hunt:
1. Get in shape. When you think you are in shape get in better shape
2. Get the best boots you can find. Look no further than Kenetrek boots. They are by far the best boots I have ever owned, and are worth their weight in gold. If your legs are tired you can rest, if you're out of breath you can recover, but if you get footsore, you are done.
3. Have fun, stay positive and persevere.

Happy hunting

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you, that's a really nice looking goat, They are very high on my to do list, sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great way to get a goat, on your own. Congatulations.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1238 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Great story, great hunt. What an adventure.

I'd be willing to bet the elation that comes from such an achievement will not wear off soon, and the memories will last a lifetime.
Thanks for the report. I'm green with envy!!!

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
great billy - congrats!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a hunt !!!

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC! Very well done sir.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats of the highest caliber! That is just awesome on every level.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congrats on your lifetime dream!

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good goat. I did a hunt much like that in 2001. But, mine was in Colorado. Like you, it took me a long time to pull the tag. I applied for 22 years before I got one.

My hunt took place in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area. DIY goat hunts aren't for the weak or timid. It's a rugged and difficult thing to do but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. But I think your goat is a little bigger than mine. Mine went 8 7/8ths on the right horn and 9 1/8th on the left. It was a 6 yr old Billy. That's about as good as you can expect for a Colorado Goat. Montana always produces better goats than Colorado.

Well done Sir. Well done. tu2

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Now that is a memorable hunt.
I did mine last fall in Nevada, and I think I know your feeling of accomplishment. I also second your advice on getting in shape and good boots. If you get winded climbing into a Tree stand, skip this hunt. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
skip

Congratulations on a hunt that you'll always remember!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the nice responses. Flags, he was 9 3/4 on the right and 9 5/8 on the left. Aged by Fish and Game at 11+ years.

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great accomplishment, and good job!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
AWESOME! Congrats on drawing a tag like that!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow! Dream come true for sure!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congradulations on a well earned trophy.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
WOW, Very Cool!

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great goat. Nice long hair, and fantastic horn length. I hope you're getting a full mount, I didn't on mine, and I've regretted it ever since.

I have a greater admiration for DIY trophies.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1634 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! Smiler
Great, great goat!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dales - you are to be commended for doing your hunt the "old fashioned way". congrats to you and your bride.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Dale,

Awesome story and accomplishment, thanks for sharing. I'm at about 20 years of applying myself and am more excited about a goat than sheep/moose. If you have more pictures you'd be willing to share we'd appreciate it.

Very motivating!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That is a dude!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dale, congrat's on a dandy goat!

I'm still waiting for my tag...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaleS:
Thanks for all the nice responses. Flags, he was 9 3/4 on the right and 9 5/8 on the left. Aged by Fish and Game at 11+ years.

Yeah, that's about what I would have guessed him to be. A very, very nice billy.

This is the one I got in Colorado in 2011. I got him at about 13,800 ft in Elevation off Mt Huron in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area in Colorado. I wish I had better pictures but I was hunting solo and there wasn't many places tp get the camera set up. Besides I had to take care of it all by myself. Spent the night on the mountain because it was dark by the time I got done skinning and boning. That was a very long and very cold night. No firewood, very little food, rocky and only a space blanket. Wouldn't trade that night for anything. The star filled sky that high up is simply incredible. Especially after filling a tag like that.

This was the day after the Twin Towers were attacked. I was so far back in that by the time I made the two trips to bring everything out it was 5 days after the attack. Considering that I was and still am active duty military, this goat represents a time in my life before major changes.

Cheers

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! What a wonderful trophy and hunt!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Very fine goat. I especially like its long, full hair.

How were the Kenetreks in terms of weight? I just got some Cabela's Meindle Alaska Hunters that fit great and give much support, but they do seem a little heavy.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots are about 4 pounds I believe. However the fit, comfort, support and stride of these boots is light years ahead of Meindl. I threw my Meindl boots away after one day of wearing the Kenetreks.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Excellent job! One of these days it'll be my turn to hunt the goats of the high mountains!

Congrats!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Catching up on America after a hunt in Africa.That is one nice goat!I think I know exactly where this goat was taken,but I won't tell.Now, where can the rest of us find a gal who looks so happy and pretty after climbing a frozen mountain?Congratulations on both. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaleS: what size were those boots you threw away??

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Dale S. Congrats on a great hunt done the right way!! You give me hope that someday I will also get a tag rather than a check from MT FWP. I will have 10 points next year so hopefully I can chase them next year.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote