New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top 10 animals to hunt in America
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been thinking a lot lately about this. Reason being, I probably won't get to hunt everything that I would like to in my lifetime. That being said, I would like to get some good ideas on some of the best animals to hunt and make a priority list so that I can at least have something to shoot for. I guess the point of this is to see other people's top 10 so that I don't miss any animals and can properly research this.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
America or North America? I'd list whitetail deer, mule deer, antelope, black bear, grizzly, elk, moose, any of the sheep, mountain lion, and mountain goat. If the sheep were taken off the selection I'd go with turkeys and coyotes as being very worthy.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
1. Moose
2. Brown Bear
3. Elk
4. Mule Deer
5. Whitetail Deer
6. Black Tail Deer
7. Any of the Big Horn Sheep
8. Any of the Caribou
9. Cougar
10. Antelope
11. Mountain Goat

I listed 11 because it is possible that a big horn hunt is nit financially possible

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Polar bear
2. Mountain Goat
3. Barren Ground Grizzly
4. Walrus
5. Brown Bear
6. Grizzly
7. Roosevelt Elk
8. Mountain Lion
9. Black Bear with hounds.
10. Nothing comes to mind.

Difficulty of the hunt. Uniqueness of the environment.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
1. White-tailed deer
2. Mule deer
3 Elk
4 Caribou
5. Moose
6. Pronghorn antelope
7. Grizzly, black or polar bear
8. Mountain lion
9. Any sheep
10. Mountain goat

No particular order.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Blonde
2. Auburn
3. Brunette
4. Redhead
5. Asian Species

Of course, I'm too old anymore and can't afford the excessive costs of mounting the trophies. Divorces are so expensive these days. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, belly laugh. Thanks. Smiler

1. Moose, any of them but Alaska Yukon
2. Mule Deer
3. Rocky Mtn Elk
4. Mtn Goat
5. Antelope
6. Caribou
7. Whitetail Deer
8. Black Bear
9. Sheep, here because I cannot afford.
10. Brown Bear, here becuase I cannot afford.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Belly laugh after the above post.

Moose (Alaska/Yukon First Choice)
Mule Deer
Rocky Mtn Elk
Mtn Goat
Antelope
Caribou (Mtn species at the top)
Whitetail Deer
Black Bear
Sheep, here because I cannot afford
Brown Bear, here becuase I cannot afford.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Big Brown Bear
Dall sheep
Stone Sheep
Bighorn Sheep
Desert Sheep
Big Moose
Cous Deer sounds fun

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
1. Mule Deer in Mexico
2. Mule Deer in CO
3. Mule Deer in WY
4. Mule Deer in AZ
5. Mule Deer in ID
6. Mule Deer in UT
7. Mule Deer in TX
8. Mule Deer in NM
9. Whitetails in CO
10.Coues Deer in Mexico

Big Grin

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My favorites of the stuff I have hunted.

1. Pronghorn anywhere.
2. Mule deer especially in Texas, have never killed a muley here.
3. Moose.
4. Elk.
5. Black Bear.
6. Javelina.
7. White tails.
In North America I'll include.
8. Musk Ox.
9. Caribou
The last is a Mountain Lion, but not with dogs, I would like to call one in with a varmint call.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
1) Bison...done right in Canada
2) Grizzly/Brown Bear in Alaska
3) Yukon Moose
4) Mountain Goat
5) Tule Elk
6) Mule Deer
7) Mountain Caribou
8) Dall Sheep
9) Bighorn Sheep
10) Desert Sheep

Yes, the sheep are the bottom three for the exact same reason Black Rhino, Mountain Nyala, and Giant Forest Hog are at the bottom of my Africa list.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
1) Desert Big Horn
2) Rocky Mtn Big Horn
3) Brown Bear
4) Stone Sheep
5) Dahls Sheep
6) Rocky Mtn. Elk
7) Mtn. Goat
8) Alaskan/Yukon Moose
9) Mule Deer
10) Big Whitetail

That would be my order for the North American top ten. Five I've done, five still await.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My list for north america:

1. Polar Bear!!!
2. Yukon Moose
3. Brown Bear
4. Desert big horn sheep
5. Wood bison
6. Mountains goat
7. Elk
8. Shiras moose
9. Grizzly
10.dall sheep

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2082 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
1. Blonde
2. Auburn
3. Brunette
4. Redhead
5. Asian Species
Big Grin

+1

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, how about listing the one's that you can afford and not dream about.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd Williams list is perfect.
Several of these are getting harder to come by, which means much more expensive, but cheap was not a requirement of the list.
I've been lucky enought to take all these animals, but I'm still looking forward to hunting most of them again.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Blonde
2. Auburn
3. Brunette
4. Redhead
5. Asian Species

Of course, I'm too old anymore and can't afford the excessive costs of mounting the trophies. Divorces are so expensive these days.

That's Funny. rotflmo
Thanks for the amazing suggestions everyone. I do like ztreh's idea
quote:
Now, how about listing the one's that you can afford and not dream about.
Let's see what is actually going to be affordable by a normal joe like myself. That will be the second filter for my list.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's see what is actually going to be affordable

Small game, upland birds, waterfowl, varmints (birds and mammals)............

I see no need to limit it to big game and I spend more time in pursuit of the above than I do deer, bear, hogs, etc.

And I hunt year round by being a multi species opportunist.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of you - even Gato! Big Grin Especially Gato!!! hilbily

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I play?

My top animals for someone what rarely ventures out of the Mississippi Delta -

deer, whitetail - we don't have any other kind
bear, black
elk, tennessee - if I could ever get lucky and draw a tag
squirrel, fox or gray will do
rabbit, swamp or cottontail
racoon
fox, gray or red
coyote, any color
wild dog, especially the one who led that pack after me
domestic hogs the next time that one wanders over to my place
the runaway horse that's thrown me twice at the bird dog field trials
and don't forget coot - opps, that's a game bird
But I definitely draws the line with possum and armadillos...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
White tail-My favorite
Mule Deer
A color phase Black Bear
Shiras Moose
Elk
Caribou
Antelope
Hog
Mt. Lion
Rio grande Turkey

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will limit my most wanted list to the six species or size of animal to those I have never taken.

1. desert bighorn
2. brown bear
3. 180+ BC whitetail
4. 190+ BC mule deer
5. Canadian moose
6. woodland caribou

I am surprised that no one has listed a wolf!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My list would be the following:

1: Desert Bighorn
2: Rocky Mtn Bighorn
3: NM Persian Ibex
4: Stone Sheep
5: Dall Sheep
6 Mtn Goat
7: Coastal BB
8: Mtn grizzly
9: Polar Bear
10: Muskox

I have never had a big desire for any of the deer, moose, elk, caribou hunting..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was younger I would go with Gato's list, but since I'm not I would go with Drummond's with an elk thrown in.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have only killed whitetail deer most of my life and just 2 elk and 2 pronghorn so 10 is a stretch

I want to add mule deer to my list in 2014

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also surprised no one listed wolf. Has anyone actually hunted one, if so, how was it?
Also I was curious if anyone had hunted alligator and if it was worth mentioning? Or Barbary Sheep? And here is how it is ranking with everyone's results right now, in order of popularity from your votes, if they tied they are not in any particular order.
1. Moose
2. White Tail
2. Mule Deer
3. Mountain Goat
3. Brown Bear
4. Elk
4. Big Horn sheep
5. Black Bear
5. Caribou
6. Antelope
6. Grizzly
6. Desert Sheep
7. Mountain Lion
7. Dall Sheep
8. Stone Sheep
8. Polar bear
8. Coues Deer
9. Rocky Mtn Elk
9. Coyote
9. Musk Ox
9. Bison
10. Turkey
10. Rio grande Turkey
10. Barren Ground Grizzly
10. Roosevelt Elk
10. Tule Elk
10. Black Tail Deer
10. Walrus
10. Javelina
10. Squirrel
10. Rabbit
10. Racoon
10. Fox
10. Hog
10. Persian Ibex

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jj33002:
I am also surprised no one listed wolf. Has anyone actually hunted one, if so, how was it?
Also I was curious if anyone had hunted alligator and if it was worth mentioning? Or Barbary Sheep? And here is how it is ranking with everyone's results right now, in order of popularity from your votes, if they tied they are not in any particular order.
1. Moose
2. White Tail
2. Mule Deer
3. Mountain Goat
3. Brown Bear
4. Elk
4. Big Horn sheep
5. Black Bear
5. Caribou
6. Antelope
6. Grizzly
6. Desert Sheep
7. Mountain Lion
7. Dall Sheep
8. Stone Sheep
8. Polar bear
8. Coues Deer
9. Rocky Mtn Elk
9. Coyote
9. Musk Ox
9. Bison
10. Turkey
10. Rio grande Turkey
10. Barren Ground Grizzly
10. Roosevelt Elk
10. Tule Elk
10. Black Tail Deer
10. Walrus
10. Javelina
10. Squirrel
10. Rabbit
10. Racoon
10. Fox
10. Hog
10. Persian Ibex

I was wondering when someone would include coyote. LOVE hunting them.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Y'all keep forgetting praise dogs.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple:

1. A deer
2. A cat
3. A sheep
4. A goat
5. A bear
6. A pig
7. A dog
8. A bull
9. A ox
10. A antelope

For example: a muskox, a bull moose, etc.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Mule deer
2. Sage grouse

Both should be a priority as neither species will be around in huntable numbers for much longer.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BighornBreath:
1. Mule deer
2. Sage grouse

Both should be a priority as neither species will be around in huntable numbers for much longer.

Thats funny.If you were a meat hunter one Sage grouse would be enough to last a life time!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright everyone, after looking at everyone's suggestions and careful consideration to variety, I think I have come up with my top 10!
  • Antelope
  • Caribou
  • Aligator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Mule Deer
  • Kodiak Bear
  • Wolf
  • Mountain Goat
  • Aoudad
  • Moose

Thanks to everyone that chimed in. Still would like to hear if anyone has ever hunted wolf or alligator. I think they sound like fun, but I don't know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not I, but having watched Swamp People countless times, I think to get one gator would be interesting, but it looks like, you see one gator hunt, you've seen them all...it looks like just another way to make a living after that. I guess there's a limit to how many times I can listen to Troy, "shoot 'um Liz!!"

Wolf? Never likely to get the chance. We do have a river here in W. Tenn. named after them, but that was 200 years ago (red wolves contributed that to the local geography).

Honestly I don't see the attraction the pro wolf, wanting to dance with them or whatever, crowd out West has for that animal. Trying to look at it practically, I would shoot their cousin, the coyote, here on sight out of general principles. So I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around why exactly a wolf gets any better slack.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly I don't see the attraction the pro wolf, wanting to dance with them or whatever, crowd out West has for that animal.

Actually Shack, the Pro-Wolf crowd you mentioned doesn't live in the west except for Californians/ex-Californians, most of the Pro-Wolfer's don't live within hundreds if not thousands of miles to the nearest wolf habitat.

Another of those cases of outsiders dictating what the residents have to deal with.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted wolves in the Yukon Terr. while on a dall sheep/moose hunt. Took three and they were a kick to hunt. Here in Idaho a wolf in the bag is considered a definite plus on any hunt. I am surprised at the demand to hunt wolf.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I passed on a black wolf while stalking a moose in the Yukon. Wish now I would have tried the shot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think to get one gator would be interesting, but it looks like, you see one gator hunt, you've seen them all...it looks like just another way to make a living after that.

That's why I put them on there, just for a one time thing. That's really what I based my whole list on and had the variety that I did, just to hunt them all at least once and see which I liked the best.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I did the gator hunt once back in 06. That, I can assure you, is a NON EVENT. It's more like aligator fishing than hunting. No hunting to it. Simply put a piece of chicken on a hook and tie the string, not line but string, to a tree, come back later in the day or the next, and if he swallowed the chicken and hook, you simple reel him in as you would a fish, then shoot it in the head with a 22 pistol. I did get a nice pair of boots out of it though.

Had a wolf tag while hunting black bear last April in Idaho. Got a bear but didn't see any wolves. I don't have a huge interest in taking one but certainly would as a target of opportunity.

On my list earlier, I left polar bear off simply because it is no longer importable into the U.S. Otherwise, it would be No. 1 on my list.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
It all depends if you love fang or bone. Myself I love fang so it's
1)brownie
2)lion
3)wolf
4)griz
5)blk bear
6)bobcat
7)lynx
for antlers it's
1-elk
2-mule deer
3-moose
4-caribou
5-wtdeer
6-mt goat
7-pigs

Have taken just about all above and love to hunt them over and over..... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote