Notify
Tools

Top 10 animals to hunt in America
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Actually Shack, the Pro-Wolf crowd you mentioned doesn't live in the west except for Californians/ex-Californians, most of the Pro-Wolfer's don't live within hundreds if not thousands of miles to the nearest wolf habitat.

Another of those cases of outsiders dictating what the residents have to deal with.

I know a lot of Californians that bought wolf tags in Idaho (myself included)and went this last season. How many did you buy? Did you hunt them last year? How many people do you know that went after them? Or do you just sit at home and blame CA for everything???

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay in California. We will solve the Wolf issue on our own.

Sincerely,

Idaho

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or do you just sit at home and blame CA for everything???

Yes, I enjoy setting here making fun of cry babies like you that blame every one in the other 49 states because your screwed up state is taking your rights as a hunter/gun owner away from you and there was not anything you could do to stop it from happening. Looks to me like if there were all that many hunters/gun owners in California the guy that went out of state and shot the mountain lion would not have lost his job, you couldn't stop that either.

No, I didn't buy any wolf tags or go anywhere that I could buy a wolf tag. They are not high on my list of things to kill, especially not enough to spend money on a guided hunt for one when for that same money I could be hunting elk/moose or mule deer somewhere.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I passed on a black wolf while stalking a moose in the Yukon. Wish now I would have tried the shot.

AAW, you're kidding right???? Man, that's too bad!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I enjoy setting here making fun of cry babies like you that blame every one in the other 49 states because your screwed up state is taking your rights as a hunter/gun owner away from you and there was not anything you could do to stop it from happening. Looks to me like if there were all that many hunters/gun owners in California the guy that went out of state and shot the mountain lion would not have lost his job, you couldn't stop that either.

The only person on this site crying is you sir. You cry here everyday about something.....spikes, shooting deer under feeders, hunting behind fences and other hunters not embracing it. You’ve made half the members here stop posting and the other half have you on ignore.

Sorry jj33002 for my post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Safari Hunter:
quote:

The only person on this site crying is you sir. You cry here everyday about something.....spikes, shooting deer under feeders, hunting behind fences and other hunters not embracing it. You’ve made half the members here stop posting and the other half have you on ignore.

+ 1

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If tags/$ weren’t a problem my first top 10 would be –

Tule Elk
Shiras Moose
Stone Sheep
Mnt Goat
Brown Bear
Grizzly Bear
RM Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Mule Deer
Antelope

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No problem. I always get a laugh out of people that take stuff so seriously and get so angy. It's like I can actually see them turning red and wanting to just punch their computer, all because they don't agree with someone else! hammering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I did the gator hunt once back in 06. That, I can assure you, is a NON EVENT. It's more like aligator fishing than hunting. No hunting to it. Simply put a piece of chicken on a hook and tie the string, not line but string, to a tree, come back later in the day or the next, and if he swallowed the chicken and hook, you simple reel him in as you would a fish, then shoot it in the head with a 22 pistol. I did get a nice pair of boots out of it though.

Had a wolf tag while hunting black bear last April in Idaho. Got a bear but didn't see any wolves. I don't have a huge interest in taking one but certainly would as a target of opportunity.

On my list earlier, I left polar bear off simply because it is no longer importable into the U.S. Otherwise, it would be No. 1 on my list.

I can assure you that my 11.5 foot Florida Gator was way more than catching on with a hook.He was a hell bent beast that was very upset that we bothered him with a Crossbow bolt in the middle of his GIANT swamp in the middle of the night. (on an airboat) It was by far one of the craziest, most dangerous thing I have done.
Just thought I would share my expierences.
I would put hunting gator at the top. I am looking at his full body mount in my trophy room as I type.
Good Luck,
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
I can assure you that my 11.5 foot Florida Gator was way more than catching on with a hook.He was a hell bent beast that was very upset that we bothered him with a Crossbow bolt in the middle of his GIANT swamp in the middle of the night. (on an airboat) It was by far one of the craziest, most dangerous thing I have done.
I would put hunting gator at the top. I am looking at his full body mount in my trophy room as I type.
Good Luck,
WSmiler

I figured there were probably other ways of hunting them, and that sounds like what I was thinking when I added them to the list. Thanks for sharing your experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jj33002:
I am also surprised no one listed wolf. Has anyone actually hunted one, if so, how was it?
Also I was curious if anyone had hunted alligator and if it was worth mentioning? Or Barbary Sheep? And here is how it is ranking with everyone's results right now, in order of popularity from your votes, if they tied they are not in any particular order.
1. Moose
2. White Tail
2. Mule Deer
3. Mountain Goat
3. Brown Bear
4. Elk
4. Big Horn sheep
5. Black Bear
5. Caribou
6. Antelope
6. Grizzly
6. Desert Sheep
7. Mountain Lion
7. Dall Sheep
8. Stone Sheep
8. Polar bear
8. Coues Deer
9. Rocky Mtn Elk
9. Coyote
9. Musk Ox
9. Bison
10. Turkey
10. Rio grande Turkey
10. Barren Ground Grizzly
10. Roosevelt Elk
10. Tule Elk
10. Black Tail Deer
10. Walrus
10. Javelina
10. Squirrel
10. Rabbit
10. Racoon
10. Fox
10. Hog
10. Persian Ibex

I was wondering when someone would include coyote. LOVE hunting them.

What State has tags for persian Ibex??? bewildered

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
What State has tags for persian Ibex??? bewildered

New Mexico

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My top 10 would look like this (all DIY):

-Mule Deer -- (do this every year as they are my favorite)
-elk -- (wilderness rut hunts. Something to do when a guy doesn't have a deer tag. Again, done it many times)
-Sitka Blacktail -- Never been, but would love to hunt them one day.
-Couse Whitetail -- Never hunted them, but it is another wish.
-Columbia Blacktail -- Another on the wish list.
-moose -- (I have killed one shiras on draw tags and have one more coming up in WY one day)
-Whitetail -- Free range in KS is a ball and those TX free rangers are fun too.
-Antelope -- Shot a couple and everyone should do it at least once.
-Desert Mule Deer -- I want to hunt them one day where a guy walks for miles hoping to cut a track.
-Bison -- free range, wild critters in Utah's Henry Mtns or Book Cliffs. Been on one hunt with a family member and hope the wife draws so I can go on another one.

My dream would be any sheep hunt, but I'll never be able to experience one.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen sir,Remember he has never traveled anywhere to hunt.His hunting is through others lives that he reads about on the internet.A few feral pigs and some corn baited deer are the best stories here.
quote:
quote:

Posts: 210 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I did the gator hunt once back in 06. That, I can assure you, is a NON EVENT. It's more like aligator fishing than hunting. No hunting to it. Simply put a piece of chicken on a hook and tie the string, not line but string, to a tree, come back later in the day or the next, and if he swallowed the chicken and hook, you simple reel him in as you would a fish, then shoot it in the head with a 22 pistol. I did get a nice pair of boots out of it though.

Had a wolf tag while hunting black bear last April in Idaho. Got a bear but didn't see any wolves. I don't have a huge interest in taking one but certainly would as a target of opportunity.

On my list earlier, I left polar bear off simply because it is no longer importable into the U.S. Otherwise, it would be No. 1 on my list.

Good Luck,
WSmiler

Sounds exciting!! I have a nice set of boots from my "fishing" trip. fishing

Way more scary than hunting bear! coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
I passed on a black wolf while stalking a moose in the Yukon. Wish now I would have tried the shot.

AAW, you're kidding right???? Man, that's too bad!

Well, it was a tough 500 yard shot without a rest. Making it offhand at 500 yards would have been tough. I don't practice that shot...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been very fortunate to have been able to see many of the animals listed while hunting and have taken a good many.
My list is different b/c of that:
1. Desert sheep
2. Rocky Mntn sheep
3. Arctic fox
4. Arctic Ptarmigan
5. Harlequin duck
6. Canvasback duck
7. A sawfish
8. Brown bear
9. A black mink
10. Coues deer

Posts: 16 | Location: TX | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2-6 done and not that memorable. 8 was.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:

-elk -- (wilderness rut hunts. Something to do when a guy doesn't have a deer tag. Again, done it many times)
-moose -- (I have killed one shiras on draw tags and have one more coming up in WY one day)
-Desert Mule Deer -- I want to hunt them one day where a guy walks for miles hoping to cut a track.
-Bison -- free range, wild critters in Utah's Henry Mtns or Book Cliffs. Been on one hunt with a family member and hope the wife draws so I can go on another one.

I like your list.. Especialy the free range Bison! tu2

Did you know that the North slope of the Uintahs has blacktail deer? It is a general season deer tag. I worked at a lodge up there one summer and saw them every day.

I am also geting more and more intrested in Desert Muleys as the higher elevations become more packed with hunters..

A Paunsagaunt Sagebrush head would be a great wall hanger.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHead:
I've been very fortunate to have been able to see many of the animals listed while hunting and have taken a good many.
My list is different b/c of that:
1. Desert sheep
2. Rocky Mntn sheep
3. Arctic fox
4. Arctic Ptarmigan
5. Harlequin duck
6. Canvasback duck
7. A sawfish
8. Brown bear
9. A black mink
10. Coues deer

I like the variety. I am going to have to look at some of those!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:

I like the variety in your list also. I would love to do a lot of my hunts DIY but I have never hunted out of state anywhere and just afraid that I would spend more time trying to figure out what I needed to do. Maybe after I get to hunt an area once the next time I go back could do a DIY hunt.