New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Kansas Mule Deer down!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wanted to share some pics of the mule deer we killed this year in Kansas. The first buck is a buck shot in the September muzzleloader season. We watched this buck a lot last year and decided he was a young 190 inch buck and decided to let him walk in hopes he would live another year and break 200 the next year. During many hours of scouting in July, August and September we could not turn him up. This was driving me crazy and I thought we made the wrong choice by letting him walk. Finally just a few days before season my brother caught a glimpse of what we thought may be him a long ways off and more less dark. The next couple days I glassed this area morning and night in hopes that I could confirm it was him. Finally the day before season I saw him walking in the very last light long after the sun had set. I wasn't sure it was him but knew it was a buck we for sure wanted to hunt. We set up opening morning on the highest hill in the area in hopes we could see him before he bedded. We found him and made a stalk to within 40 yds of him but you could not see him due to the tall sage. As the hunter was setting up his bipod he made the mistake of sitting his gun down and touching a sagebrush with leg of the bipod and the game was over. He ran over the hill without getting a shot off. The next day we were lucky enough to find him again and unfortunately the hunter missed the buck at 185 yards. We hunted this deer for 5 days with out getting another shot off but had a few other close encounters but luck was never on our side. On day six of the season hunter number 2 was in camp and we continued to pursue the big non typical buck. After 4 more days of hunting luck finally turned our way and we were able to finally get our hands on the buck after one 150 yd shot from the muzzleloader. The buck ended up scoring 210 6/8 and was 32.5 inches wide.

Fast forward to the opening day of regular firearm season hunter number 1 decided to return to redeem himself. I had a big typical in mind to hunt. We had only caught a couple glimpses of him this fall but knew he was big. Opening day we found this giant typical at first light. After watching him break off from the herd of does and disappear over the hill in search of a hot doe and headed to some real rough deep cuts we thought we would not see him again that day. We continued to glass from our hill in hopes of seeing him again. About an hour later to our amazement we seen him about a mile away coming back towards us and the does. We bedded them down and had a text book stalk to within 180 yds but the buck was bedded behind a yucca with no shot. We waited about 30 minutes and he stood up and started feeding our way. At 160 yards Bill made a great shot with the muzzleloader and dropped him. He fell only about 500 yards of where we shot the non typical in September. Last year I watched this deer fight another buck and break his entire g2 off at the main beam and he got to live another year and grew another 10 inches or so. This buck ended up scoring 191 and was 29.5 inches wide.

This wrapped up our mule deer hunts for the year. A very good year considering the terrible drought we are in.

Jeremy

www.sagebrushhunts.com

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great deer Jeremy, 17 holds some giants! I missed one in 2008 after a long stalk (a road hunter literally shot at him while I was sneaking up on him...) that probably was in the low 200's and ended up killing a 170's muley on the last evening. The bigger one still haunts me!

Great deer, you guys seem to run a good operation!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello Jeremy,

I was wondering what are the draw odds / type of hunting that takes place in Kansas for Mule Deer. I have been hearing reports from Nebraska about Mule Deer but not to much from the Kansas side but being next to Colorado I bet hunting is very good. I checked out your website and it looks like you guys do really good for both Whitetail and Mule Deer. This just looks like another very interesting place to chance Mule Deer and was wonder what other information you have on Kansas Mule Deer.

Thanks,

Seth

Posts: 19 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bucks!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Scary big bucks

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Two fantastic bucks Jeremy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Fantastic deer Jeremy! Congratulations

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Two gooduns for sure!!

Congrats!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jeremy. You've got a great thing going up there. Congrats on some great, great bucks.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bucks

Congrats to all

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
those are great bucks, congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauties! Given a choice, I'd take #2.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote