Find
Notify
Tools

Taaadaaaaaaaaaa!!! Finally!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
AZ G&F charged my CC yesterday for $265. Guess what that is!!!!!

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, what units had you put in for? Took me 24 years and I was lucky...
Mike

Posts: 27 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Sheep tag, where at?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Tony. clap clap tu2 beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
license to hunt puddy crats?? Big Grin

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yuppers. After 40 years of trying, it finally happened. I get to chase some desert biggies around. I had 21 BPs this time around.

They haven't released the official draw results yet but are just now charging the CC's of everyone who drew tags. So not sure what hunt yet, but my first choice was 15CN and 2nd choice was 45C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's some thing to get excited about!

Congratulations!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed my ram in 15C North, if you find that is the unit you drew, shoot me a PM.
Mike

Posts: 27 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Tony! Be damned careful for the next few months, though.

I drew my tag on my 39th consecutive year of applying, then had my six-month-old 4x4 truck stolen two weeks before the season opened. In it were the tag, 10x50 Swarovski binos, two Nikon bodies and about $3,000 worth of lenses, miscellaneous hand tools, and a .357 mag S&W.

Farmers Insurance replaced everything except the pistol in time for my hunt,

My friends at the Tucson Game and Fish office, however, claimed I was the first in the history of Arizona's sheep hunting to lose a sheep tag and there was no precedent for issuing a duplicate.

They had lots of fun at my expense before they eventually reissued the tag.

My run of bad luck didn't end there,though. I broke my arm while changing a tire the second day of the hunt when the jack slipped off the bumper and dropped the truck on it. We were an hour from pavement and 1-1/2 hours from a hospital.

Fortunately for me, a surgeon was able to get me back to camp the next day with a cast I could shoot off of. I shot my ram nine days later.

Good luck on your hunt!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
damn, I hate a handyman jack, Bill!

Congratulations, Tony. Keep us posted on the preliminaries as well as the hunt.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very happy for you - congrats! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony - Congrats man, that's awesome news!

Good Luck!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The charge for the sheep permit is now official. The "Pending" charge of $265 to my CC changed to an actual charge a couple hours ago.

So now I have to wait for AGFD to post the results to see if I drew 15C North or 45C.

Bill Q:

I recall you telling the tale of sheep hunt before.

Mike:

Will do. Obviously since there's nothing much else to hunt in that unit, I haven't spent any time there other than to drive through on the way to LV. I have seen plenty of sheep along the river, though, while fishing out of Willow Beach.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer beer

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was just able to access the AZ draw results online. Looks like I drew my second choice...

Bighorn Sheep Draw Successful 06034
Dec 01 - Dec 31, 2012

UNIT 45C (KOFA NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE) Permit #000003

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

I'm definitely envious.

tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 That's good!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tom.

Due to logistics and medical issues, we're not heading down to hunt until Weds.

My son and I went down Sun. to scout, however. We covered a lot of ground, learning the roads and did manage to see one non-shooter ram of about two years old. He stood and watched us from about 125 yards away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to offer "team doctor" services for your hunt if I weren't heavily obligated the next 2 weeks.

Just being on a sheep hunt would be a treat...

Good luck, and I hope you shoot a monster, that runs full bore to your vehicle as he expires!

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I should be good to go now.

A good friend has generously stepped forward and will be hauling his 29' 5th wheel down for us to use, which will help me greatly. At 71 yrs. old now, I can really appreciate the comforts of home. Cool

He will also stay and hunt with us for a week or so. If I don't kill by then, he'll head home and leave the trailer for us, then return to get it when we're done.

If anyone is in the neighborhood, stop by. We'll be parked at the Stone Cabin (Randy's Hamburgers), where we'll have electricity and some fast food available if needed. It's right on the highway at King Valley Road. That's the north boundary of the unit at mile marker 76 or so. Very easy to find since it's the only visible habitation between Quartzite and Yuma.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been by the stone cabin my brother owns a couple of mines in the area. Seen some sheep sign around the old colorado mine.

I know that some big rams have been seen on his mine north of quartzite but that sounds out side of your unit.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that far north is way out of unit. Stone Cabin is right at the northwest corner of the unit and then Unit 45A is north of that and runs basically almost up to I10, where 44B starts and goes north of Quartzsite.

In addition to the small sheep we spotted, we saw plenty of sign, especially fresh tracks on many of the roads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and hope you get a big one!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going like 60 right now to get everything ready. Spent yesterday smoking a lot of pork and beef.

We're leaving early in the a.m. The season is open until Dec. 31.

One of my friends is towing his 30' 5th wheel down for us to us for the duration if necessary. We'll be setting up at the Stone Cabin where electricty is available, and it's only 10-15 mins. away from places to hunts. So at least we'll be comfy.

Another friend from Yuma scouted a bit for me on Tues. afternoon and found three rams in the 160-170 class. We'll be meeting up with him down there to get some intel, etc.

Hopefully, I can close the deal early so I can get back on the golf. course. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waiting update

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have my fingers crossed that we have a great hunt report coming.
Smiler

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Sounds like fun!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the season is over and no report back from Tony. I hope he didn't fall off a cliff or something out there chasing those sheep!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Well, the season is over and no report back from Tony. I hope he didn't fall off a cliff or something out there chasing those sheep!

Maybe he found golf to be more appealing...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
He collected his ram early in the season. There's a report and photo on www.coueswhitetail.com.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
He collected his ram early in the season. There's a report and photo on www.coueswhitetail.com.

Bill Quimby

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/...y-copd-ram/?p=347849

Congrats Tony! Smiler

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you Tony!

Nothing better than sheep meat.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your ram Tony!!!

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh?

I was grateful that the Nosler Ballistic Tip (my first and only use of them) are notorious meat destroyers after I shot my desert bighorn.

It meant that much less sheep meat to eat.

Give me eland, elk, moose or a Texas Hill Country whitetail any time. I rank (a good word in this instance) sheep meat with javelina, just one-half point above two-day road-kill.

Bill Quimby

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Huh?

I was grateful that the Nosler Ballistic Tip (my first and only use of them) are notorious meat destroyers after I shot my desert bighorn.

Give me eland, elk, moose or a Texas Hill Country whitetail any time. I rank (a good word in this instance) sheep meat with javelina, just one-half point above two-day road-kill.

Bill Quimby

Stone and Dall sheep meat is some of the best meat going. tu2 RM bighorn is good, but not as good as the thinhorns. I've never tried desert bighorn, but I know I'd enjoy every morsel of it if I was ever so fortunate to have the opportunity to take one. Smiler

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Congrats Tony!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
quote:

Huh?

Bill Quimby

Stone and Dall sheep meet is some of the best meat going. tu2 RM bighorn is good, but not as good as the thinhorns. I've never tried desert bighorn, but I know I'd enjoy every morsel of it if I was ever so fortunate to have the opportunity to take one. Smiler

Totally agree. I have not eaten desert bighorn, but I have eaten plenty of Dall sheep, and that is my favorite wild meat by a long shot. And I have eaten just about everything.

I had elk chops last night and they were extremely tough, as are all the elk I have shot. Ditto for every moose I have ever shot as well. Never shot a javelina; those things stink so bad I can smell them in the desert - why anyone would want to shoot one is a mystery to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've eaten all 4 N. Ameriacan Sheep. Dall is very good, Stone is pretty good and the Big's are definitly not as good. However, I've eaten a lot of Dall and Stone sheep but very little of the 2 different Bighorns I've taken.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had elk chops last night and they were extremely tough, as are all the elk I have shot. Ditto for every moose I have ever shot as well. Never shot a javelina; those things stink so bad I can smell them in the desert - why anyone would want to shoot one is a mystery to me.

Toughness can be controlled by various cooking methods, but none could make my desert sheep taste like a second helping.

To each his own, I guess. Lots of people relish eating doves, waterfowl and other birds and critters that taste like liver. I. don't Although my desert ram didn't taste like liver, neither my wife nor I cared for its distinctive flavor.

We won't eat lamb/mutton, either.

Bill Quimby