Find
Notify
Tools

MN Wall of Shame
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
I was at the MN State Fair this past weekend and the DNR was featuring some poached trophies in their Wall of Shame. Every single one of these was illegally taken here in Minnesota.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A real shame. Here's a monster rack taken less than 10 miles from my home back in 2011 after he already filled his buck tag.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A better picture of this 13 point monster. http://forums.bowhunting.com/b...pa-buck-poached.html

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have tried to steal one.

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
A better picture of this 13 point monster. http://forums.bowhunting.com/b...pa-buck-poached.html

Very nice buck!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like poaching is the way to get the monsters. Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
That world record 8 point is a FREAK! I saw pics of it when it was poached and it is prehistoric looking. Too bad they don't have it sitting next to a 180" 12 point to give a comparison

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
That world record 8 point is a FREAK! I saw pics of it when it was poached and it is prehistoric looking. Too bad they don't have it sitting next to a 180" 12 point to give a comparison

It really is a beast, the picture does not really do it justice. I was over at the fair yesterday for my daughters b-day. My daughter asked me why I dont shoot something that big.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Happily, most poachers are quite stupid, and get turned in by "friends" and acquaintances. And who'd a thunk that FB & other social media would provide law enforcement with such a powerful tool - in this PA. case, self-incrimination! homer

Most of all, remember the immortal & sublime words of the late Norman Maclean..."the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana."

I would like to meet Norman someday and thank him for that book, and ask if I could fish with him & take him hunting...

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To make it even better, they should have posted their names as well.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Would love to see that. The field photos really showed the size much better.

Love the big 8's.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Some pics for perspective below. Claimed to have inside spread of 28-3/8. I can't seem to find any info on the other measurements, but to show how rare they are an article from a few years back said that only 34 8-pointers had made B&C.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting those erict. I will check out the other photos I took of that rack. It was tough to get a good angle being a few feet away behind a counter- the photos definitely don't do it justice.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
To make it even better, they should have posted their names as well.

Mug shots and a few shots of them in jail in orange jumpsuits would be even better!!!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am constantly amazed at what people will throw away (job, family, guns, hunting rights, etc) for things of instant gratification (trophy animal, a few thousand dollars, ass they aren't married to, etc). I like that they threw in the sentencing consequences. That eems to be something you do not hear about.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I've read about some that have been caught. It gets damned expensive real quick.

Way back about 1960 I was a gullable kid tagging along with two wild asses when they shot an antelope. "Friends" they'd offered to give it to turned 'em in. But, the warden didn't have a dog and looked in the wrong car sitting right next to the one the buck was in.
Couple wks later I read where three guys got caught in the act about 40miles away. Cost them: three rifles, pickup, and $700 fine for the two 'friends', $1500 fine for the shooter. These days it's thousands and doubles that even if it's a 'trophy sized' animal.

Tag soup is a whole lot cheaper imo.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
I was at the MN State Fair this past weekend and the DNR was featuring some poached trophies in their Wall of Shame. Every single one of these was illegally taken here in Minnesota.

#15 belongs on the Taxidermy wall of shame! The eyes of deer are on the side of the skull not looking straight forward like a predator! Could almost make the bad taxidermy thread which is the all-time funniest thread on AR, IMO!!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote