THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Too many elk, too few permits, what to do?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too many elk, too few permits, what to do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And open himself up to unlimited liability????

only because of all the Texans and Californians that moved in with in the last 15 years before that you could almost all the ranches.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I grew up in Texas during the past 60 years and I can guarantee you that many ranchers/farmers did not allow anyone they did not know personally on to their land.

Some of them would only allow their family to hunt and fish.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:
Most Public(BLM )land is marginal habitat.That is why no one homesteaded it.kind of like selling swamp land in Florida.

Good let the private sector sink money into it and make it great habitat. We as people seperate ourselves from all other beasts becasue we can increase carrying capacity through technology.

That's the dumbest statement I've ever heard, then I saw who posted it and wasn't suprised.

This guy claims to be some kind of wildlife biologist, then says something stupid like "lets fragment habitat with a bunch of little ranches".

You're a moron, thanks for proving it again, and again, and again.

This is an easy one guys, no elk being killed because of no access.

Maybe TX folks should be banned from this forum...could we open up a Mexican hunting forum on this site?

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
And open himself up to unlimited liability????

only because of all the Texans and Californians that moved in with in the last 15 years before that you could almost all the ranches.

Hit the nail on the head...if you allow free access for hunting, something this SMU idiot can't understand, you have no liability. The days of knocking on doors and finding a place to hunt are over...you gotta pay to play, and nonresident landowners are a big reason why.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They did in Montana and what you said in your post is the problem. They loved hunting and fishing in Montana, moved there, and then decided to make it more like the place they left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If all the public land is sold, all we would end up with is a shit-hole like Texas with fat asses sitting in tree stands waiting for their feeders to kick off. A tuff day of hunting in Texas is when the deer come in after dark! And don't try and tell me how hard it is to walk around a 10,000 acre ranch shooting at sickly animals that are imported in. I usually would not get mad about something like this, and if this is your type of hunting...fine! Just don't try and change the rest of the countries hunting to make it yours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose_drool:
quote:
quote:
Most Public(BLM )land is marginal habitat.That is why no one homesteaded it.kind of like selling swamp land in Florida.

Good let the private sector sink money into it and make it great habitat. We as people seperate ourselves from all other beasts becasue we can increase carrying capacity through technology.

That's the dumbest statement I've ever heard, then I saw who posted it and wasn't suprised.

This guy claims to be some kind of wildlife biologist, then says something stupid like "lets fragment habitat with a bunch of little ranches".

You're a moron, thanks for proving it again, and again, and again.

This is an easy one guys, no elk being killed because of no access.

Maybe TX folks should be banned from this forum...could we open up a Mexican hunting forum on this site?

One more welfare case for hunting MT. MD looking to the man to let you hunt...pathetic.

Free access eliminates your liability?? How?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Free access eliminates your liability?? How?

It's called sovereign immunity. It applies to landowners who do not provide any sort of service. You outfit your place and someone gets hurt, you get sued you're hosed without insurance. You don't outfit, you let people hunt or camp or what ever on their own and you are immune from liability when they injure themselves.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
That statement right there shows that you have no real understanding of how things are in the real world.

Land prices everywhere continue to rise, because there is no more supply, there is a set amount of land, no more can be made.

Once a piece of land is bought, it is taken out of the supply line, and it can not, will not be replaced.

Slow down crazy, what happens when millions of acres of public land are put on the market, I'll give you a hint THE SUPPLY IS INCREASED!!
And a piece of land being bought does not permanently take it out of the supply line, only until it is put back on the market.
quote:
I think you folks need to re-check your information, there has been some legislation passed in the past few years that allows just what you are saying is illegal.

You are incorrect, the Texas Property Code is very clear about this, to change it would change the foundation of our property code.
quote:
Hit the nail on the head...if you allow free access for hunting, something this SMU idiot can't understand, you have no liability. The days of knocking on doors and finding a place to hunt are over...you gotta pay to play, and nonresident landowners are a big reason why.

Do you really believe that not charging someone to use your property limits your liability? If so, you are an idiot.
quote:
If all the public land is sold, all we would end up with is a shit-hole like Texas with fat asses sitting in tree stands waiting for their feeders to kick off. A tuff day of hunting in Texas is when the deer come in after dark! And don't try and tell me how hard it is to walk around a 10,000 acre ranch shooting at sickly animals that are imported in. I usually would not get mad about something like this, and if this is your type of hunting...fine! Just don't try and change the rest of the countries hunting to make it yours.

Hey MT, we have millions and millions of acres of free range, private property for hunting in this state that dwarf the land your welfare beggin ass is allotted by your beloved government. Ranches acquired, built and managed by men who spent there lives living the dream, refusing to take a handout from a government, instead toiling their lives away hoping to leave something better for their children and grandchildren than what they started with. When was the last time you hunted 50 acres, 500 acres, 5000 acres, 50000 acres, 500000 acres that a man bought, improved and managed with his back and his life? The great State of Texas is one of the few places you can still do that. For that matter, when was the last time you hunted Texas? I hunt all over this country and world and I run into dumbasses like you constantly who think they know something about the property situation and hunting in this fine state off of talking points they get down at the cafe. Do me and the rest of Texas a favor, keep your sorry welfare hunting ass out.

One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:

A F'n MEN!!!

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
That statement right there shows that you have no real understanding of how things are in the real world.

Land prices everywhere continue to rise, because there is no more supply, there is a set amount of land, no more can be made.

Once a piece of land is bought, it is taken out of the supply line, and it can not, will not be replaced.

Slow down crazy, what happens when millions of acres of public land are put on the market, I'll give you a hint THE SUPPLY IS INCREASED!!
And a piece of land being bought does not permanently take it out of the supply line, only until it is put back on the market.
quote:
I think you folks need to re-check your information, there has been some legislation passed in the past few years that allows just what you are saying is illegal.

You are incorrect, the Texas Property Code is very clear about this, to change it would change the foundation of our property code.
quote:

Do you really believe that not charging someone to use your property limits your liability? If so, you are an idiot.
quote:

Hey MT, we have millions and millions of acres of free range, private property for hunting in this state that dwarf the land your welfare beggin ass is allotted by your beloved government. Ranches acquired, built and managed by men who spent there lives living the dream, refusing to take a handout from a government, instead toiling their lives away hoping to leave something better for their children and grandchildren than what they started with. When was the last time you hunted 50 acres, 500 acres, 5000 acres, 50000 acres, 500000 acres that a man bought, improved and managed with his back and his life? The great State of Texas is one of the few places you can still do that. For that matter, when was the last time you hunted Texas? I hunt all over this country and world and I run into dumbasses like you constantly who think they know something about the property situation and hunting in this fine state off of talking points they get down at the cafe. Do me and the rest of Texas a favor, keep your sorry welfare hunting ass out.

You are right. I can go to Texas where someone bought a big ranch and threw out a shitload of feeders, and I can shoot myself a kickass exotic from Africa. Real cool. Please do me a favor and remove the word Texas from anything that involves the concept of wildlife management.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not welfare hunting. It's how people treated each other in MT before a bunch of assholes moved here. Just because I am not dumb enough to pay $5,000 for a 140lb. deer, doesn't mean that I want a free ride.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Well said. These guys know NOTHING of improving land because they ARE welfare cases. Let them think what they want about the greatest state for hunting. No hand out for guys like that here so we won't ever have to worry about their type here.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:

quote:

Well said. These guys know NOTHING of improving land because they ARE welfare cases. Let them think what they want about the greatest state for hunting. No hand out for guys like that here so we won't ever have to worry about their type here.

Perry

Texas is the greatest state for hunting???!!! HOLY Fuggin shiiiit!!! Please God, help me stop laughing before I caugh up a testicle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 gibbs, I grew up working a 90,000 acre ranch.....WORKING RANCH. We had no Mexicans to do all the heavy lifting, like you Texans. I am not against ranches, but I enjoy having millions of acres of wilderness to explore, camp, and hunt. It pisses me off when people from out of state come up with "ideas" that would take that away from my children. People that have spent thier whole lives in Texas have no idea about the outdoors,.... the real outdoors. I was recently stationed in Texas for 6 years and have "hunted" your state, and I will gladly let you keep it. How about this, I will stay out of Texas if you keep the hell away from Montana....deal?!

One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
505 gibbs, I grew up working a 90,000 acre ranch.....WORKING RANCH. We had no Mexicans to do all the heavy lifting, like you Texans. I am not against ranches, but I enjoy having millions of acres of wilderness to explore, camp, and hunt. It pisses me off when people from out of state come up with "ideas" that would take that away from my children. People that have spent thier whole lives in Texas have no idea about the outdoors,.... the real outdoors. I was recently stationed in Texas for 6 years and have "hunted" your state, and I will gladly let you keep it. How about this, I will stay out of Texas if you keep the hell away from Montana....deal?!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are right. I can go to Texas where someone bought a big ranch and threw out a shitload of feeders, and I can shoot myself a kickass exotic from Africa. Real cool. Please do me a favor and remove the word Texas from anything that involves the concept of wildlife management.

quote:
Texas is the greatest state for hunting???!!! HOLY Fuggin shiiiit!!! Please God, help me stop laughing before I caugh up a testicle.

quote:

I can easily and affordably hunt free range whitetail, mule deer, elk, pronghorn, aoudad, mountain lion, bobcat, coyote, badger, 3 species of quail, 2 subspecies of turkey, dove, duck, geese, hogs, javelina, a few lucky sould get to hunt Desert Bighorn, and the list goes on and on. What do you have that we don't? I see a couple of close minded idiots making generalizations that have no basis in reality. And MT, what's up with the the "mexican" statement? That is just plain ignorant, Do you honestly believe no one other than mexicans in this state work? If so, you are a misinformed fool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Well, you show your stupidity as usual.

First off, NO ONE is going to or can place millions of acres of Public Land up for sale, that ain't happening in any of our lifetimes.

People here in Texas are buying up land and kit will never go back on the market! PERIOD!

Dream On Little Dreamer.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Ranches acquired, built and managed by men who spent there lives living the dream, refusing to take a handout from a government, instead toiling their lives away hoping to leave something better for their children and grandchildren than what they started with.

That's funny, because Texas ranks out as the #1 state in the nation in federal farm and ranch subsidies! $23.1 billion in subsidies between 1995-2009!

I'll gladly take the Snake River Range to anything in Texas...3 million acres of giant mule deer, elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, bison, black bear, grizzly bear, mountain lion and antelope...all living their lives out on PUBLIC land that anyone who draws a tag can hunt. No feeders needed here!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Crazy, please shut up, you are proving MT & MrHawgs case. killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
am not trying to prove anyones case, I just think you are wrong, PERIOD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right, the "Mexican" comment was in bad taste and had no place in this conversation. I have drove from southern Texas all the way up into New Mexico and the only view is barbed wire fences strewn with plastic bags. The two or three places that I went hunting in Texas had beer cans and trash all over. If this is the "improvements" that you Texans have made to your land, then you are correct..... I don't understand!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in west TX.. more stuff to hunt than time allows (low fence out where I was raised in that part of the state).. whitetail, aoudad, muleys, quail, javies, etc.. I love TX as fiercely as any Texan out there and I go back alot still (all my fam is still there as is my wife's), being that its not very far from where I now live.. Ive been in AZ 8yrs now and have no desire to go back home to TX..most reasons being how much I love the "freedom" the west can give a man who enjoys hunting, climbing, hiking, camping, etc.. its seemingly endless.

That said, I'd NEVER want to see the west go to that. I love AZ, MT, WY, etc. and its "endless" public lands out there for ALL of us to get out and enjoy. I have 9k ft peaks in my backyard I can spend months in exploring every rock in the range if Im so inclined. And thats just 1 small mountain range in 1state.

Id never want to see the west sold off and hemmed in like TX is.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I should not be replying here since I just had some surgery and percocet and logic don't mix too well...

But, it seems to go along in here.

I am not real big on the whole resident/nonresident thing, as as far as I'm concerned our wildlife is a national resource, and since national excise tax money funds most of the US game lands, I'm not sure why we protect someone just because they live close. My state seems to be reasonably lenient here, but there is a difference in price.

The whole tags and quotas thing seems to be the issue here. I really dislike drawn tags for the reason that one cannot plan more than 6-12 months in advance for one's hunting or vacation trips and if one wants to go and hunt a high demand species, such as bighorn sheep or a "better" area of many states for even deer, one is put into a random drawing to get one's tags. If I tried to get a sheep and an elk tag, I can just about guarantee that I would get both for the same year, and then I would be unable to do both hunts.

I do like the states that have gone to landowner tags for just this reason, but I can also see why someone who lives close by, doesn't have to worry about the vacation time issue, and can change plans at the drop of a hat would like to have cheap tags that they could get relatively easily, and then have the ability to get a landowner to let them on for free, whether its a state land area or private, who cares as long as its not costing them anything.

Balance this with a landowner who has undoubtedly experienced bad behavior from "hunters" and other people who treat other people's property as one big garbage dump, along with a certain attitude of "the game is public, so its mine, and you cannot stop me from hunting it, regardless of whether you own the land" along with a certain desire to get a return on animals that they think they raised, so they have an ownership "interest" in them, and we as hunters have 3 groups here that all seem to be competing.

I can't say that I have the answers, but it would seem to me that days of expecting to hunt for free are really quite numbered, and whether we go to a universally increased hunting license fee along with continuing "trespass fees" for private land access that are pretty much market driven, or the current cheap licenses with higher fees for private land because the guys with a bit of money would rather have a good experience, and are willing to pay for it instead of the zoo that ANY easily accessed public/free hunting area has become...

Posts: 10828 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose Dung

What do farm subsidies have to do with hunting, what we are talking about. I am sooooo against subsidizing anything it's not even funny. BUT the stat would stand to reason given the size of the state. You reaching for this shows the level of confidence in all your previous arguments. Pretty weak. NO SUBSIDIES on any of the land I hunt, but I still don't see the connection!

The problem with your last statement makes my point. You CAN NOT hunt all that stuff along the snake river unless the gov't ALLOWS YOU TO. YOU ARE OWNED AS A HUNTER!!!!! Go get your food stamps...I mean hunting tags animal.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really? Have you looked at Detroit lately. Even those peasants in Montana could buy mansions there now.

It really is amazing to me to watch the rabid behavior of you people. Listening to post after post of how you say things are impossible. There is no "can do" attitude out of yall. You sit around like a bunch of beat down mongrels too scared to improve your situation. Gentlemen, you are peasants. Not because you are poor but because your minds are weak. You have given up and decided your only hope in life is what a government allows you, and you shreak like children if there is even the smallest chance you could lose that. Even if it means a chance for you and your children to rise higher. Since you don't have any good arguement to bolster your phobia of success you attack the person with the idea. Talking trash about a state which does more for wildlife in a decade than your state has done in its entire history. There is more low fenced land here than there is land in the entire state of Montana. Tens of thousands of deer are shot here, not under a feeder, nor from a deer blind. We have the most successful desert bighorn restoration project in the nation. We have the most customized per property deer managemnt program in the Nation (MLD). Our state literaly adjusts quotas right down to singular properties and not just zones. Our whitetail deer hunting generates more revenue than many states entire GDP! Finaly our mule deer hunting is becoming exceptional. Most of you guys in Montana have never shot a muley like you can come and kill here now. Guess what. Our elk are exploding now and the quality is fantastic, and our state doesn't even consider them a game species anymore. You can come kill a dozen of them if you want.

So I tell you what. You have three choices. Move to Texas and your kid can hunt as much land and animals as your hard work can afford. Change Montana to a wildlife heaven using a wildlife, political, and business models similar to Texas but customized to fit Montana, and enjoy hunting as much as your hard work can afford. Or last you can sit on your twat, like peasants do, hoping and praying this is the year you draw a tag for one something your precious gubmint gods will bestow upon you. What is sad is I allready know what you will pick because you are blinded angry peasants that are predictable. That's how the rich usually stay rich, because peasants are predictable. You don't even have the guts to pick yourselves up when everything you need to succeed is within reach.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The internet is an amazing place....it gives an ignoramus with a big mouth like smartass a forum.....and porky pig gibbs a place to spew his shit. I'm trying to remember the last time either one of these jackasses didn't take a dump in a thread.

Texas = pay to hunt or have nowhere to hunt

MT = millions of acres of state land open to anyone

You 2 douchebags wanna take a stand by calling MT people peasants go right ahead.....I love me some Texas but that's because I know people there. You 2 ballbags gonna start with the "my dad's bigger than your dad" crap next?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MT = millions of acres of state land open to anyone

Hey Norton, you forgot a few things. In Montana you have to pay to hunt also. Also its millions of acres of state land open to the people who are lucky enough to get a tag from the gubmint.

And I'm not trying to remember the last time you said anything good on a thread because its a safe bet it has never happened. Are you even a hunter Norton?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smarterthanu, pay real close attention, We Ain't Talking About Foreclosed Homes In ANY Inner City Area ANYWHERE.

The discussion is about open land, that is considered Public Land.

Try pricing some God damn real estate in the suburbs of Houston, then get back with how much that stuff has decreased, or try around Fredricksburg or the DFW area.

Foreclosures on over priced/over built homes in the major cities across the entire country have no bearing or relationship to open land anywhere in the nation.

Raw land is going up in price, and will continue to do so because there is only a finite amount of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smarterthanu, pay real close attention, We Ain't Talking About Foreclosed Homes In ANY Inner City Area ANYWHERE.

The discussion is about open land, that is considered Public Land.

Try pricing some God damn real estate in the suburbs of Houston, then get back with how much that stuff has decreased, or try around Fredricksburg or the DFW area.

Foreclosures on over priced/over built homes in the major cities across the entire country have no bearing or relationship to open land anywhere in the nation.

Raw land is going up in price, and will continue to do so because there is only a finite amount of it.

Pay real close attention. We are talking about increasing the land available by over %100. That means increased supply. Suddenly that finite number everyone believed was one size gets twice as big. That means supply went up and the prices crash. After that the prices will start going up again. There was a finite amount of land in Detroit also. Suddenly demand crashed and so did the prices. The same can happen to real estate anywhere. Even here in Houston or the hill country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever actually got outside of Houston and seen any of the Public Land in places like Colorado/Montana/Wyoming?

I am beginning to doubt it.

If you had, you would know, that much of the Public Land in the west is rough/rugged in many cases mountainous terrain where a bighorn sheep can have trouble standing up.

You have no real concept of reality when it comes to land and land values apart from what you assume or what you hear about or read about concerning foreclosures on homes in the urban/suburban areas of the country.

Try hauling your ass to down town Houston and see how much a prime piece of commercial property seels for by the square foot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you even a hunter Norton?

I've hunted MT the last 6 consecutive years for elk, deer, ducks, upland, etc.....

I'm guessing your experience playing Cabela's Ultimate Hunt on your xbox makes you a hunter. AR has a way of exposing fools and posers like yourself.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you ever actually got outside of Houston and seen any of the Public Land in places like Colorado/Montana/Wyoming?

I am beginning to doubt it.

If you had, you would know, that much of the Public Land in the west is rough/rugged in many cases mountainous terrain where a bighorn sheep can have trouble standing up.

You have no real concept of reality when it comes to land and land values apart from what you assume or what you hear about or read about concerning foreclosures on homes in the urban/suburban areas of the country.

Try hauling your ass to down town Houston and see how much a prime piece of commercial property seels for by the square foot.

What does the price of prime downtown real estate have to do with your arguement? Quit trying to muddy the water. Something tells me you have never bought or sold a piece of land.

Norton, have you resorted to the "I know you are, but what am I" arguement? Are you really PeeWee Herman? Do a search on here and read some of my hunt reports.

Crazyhorse, I have hunted Montana, Idaho, Oregon, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. Some of those several times. I gaurantee just because land is not prime doesn't mean no one wants to pay moaney for it. Look at these peasants on this forum shreaking at the thought they might not have access to it.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is incorrect, the recent recession and consequent liquidity shortage has decreased the number of prospective buyers for rural property, consequently the prices for these properties have declined.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2...-on-texas-rural.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some real funny BS spewed on this one. It makes perfect sense that the deepness is increased by a couple boys from Texas.

What they don't understand is the dynamics of a migratory mule deer herd or elk herd. They don't understand the importance of sage grouse leks. They think that fragmenting habitat and selling lands into private ownership will somehow increase game herds. LAUGHABLE.

You Texas boys keep to your whitetails and exotics which travel a couple miles in their lifetime. You have no clue how a Western migratory game herd is damaged by habitat fragmentation. But stir away on your pot.

CRBUTLER- hope you recover well. States own the animals. People own the land (private or public). Again, Western game herds are much different than the whitetails you are used to. It is a limited resource and as such people are limited how we may hunt them. We all choose to live where we do. You want what the West has, then buy the house for sale by me and you got it. Again, recover well and put in for tags in Utah and I will try to give you some info-- Lets start with this: Book Cliffs Deer (either rifle, muzzleloader, or archery) or Wasatch moose. You draw any of those and I'll give you the info to hunt public lands, on your own, and you'll have a 99% chance at success.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some real funny BS spewed on this one. It makes perfect sense that the deepness is increased by a couple boys from Texas.

What they don't understand is the dynamics of a migratory mule deer herd or elk herd. They don't understand the importance of sage grouse leks. They think that fragmenting habitat and selling lands into private ownership will somehow increase game herds. LAUGHABLE.

You Texas boys keep to your whitetails and exotics which travel a couple miles in their lifetime. You have no clue how a Western migratory game herd is damaged by habitat fragmentation. But stir away on your pot.

CRBUTLER- hope you recover well. States own the animals. People own the land (private or public). Again, Western game herds are much different than the whitetails you are used to. It is a limited resource and as such people are limited how we may hunt them. We all choose to live where we do. You want what the West has, then buy the house for sale by me and you got it. Again, recover well and put in for tags in Utah and I will try to give you some info-- Lets start with this: Book Cliffs Deer (either rifle, muzzleloader, or archery) or Wasatch moose. You draw any of those and I'll give you the info to hunt public lands, on your own, and you'll have a 99% chance at success.
Posts: 463 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005

MC, private land doesn't mean it is fragmented habitat. By the way we have mule deer and elk here in Texas and they migrate through properties without a problem at all. Our whitetailed deer don't have any problem moving between properties either. Land ownership does not effect migrations. Deer don't look to see who owns what before they travel. Obviously you have no clue about what Texas has, or your native wildlife.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rather than taking part in the western sentiment that one from Texas is ignorant and full of shit, why don't you join in the conversation and QUOTE something I have written in this thread and show me how it is wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
private land doesn't mean it is fragmented habitat. By the way we have mule deer and elk here in Texas and they migrate through properties without a problem at all. Our whitetailed deer don't have any problem moving between properties either. Land ownership does not effect migrations. Deer don't look to see who owns what before they travel. Obviously you have no clue about what Texas has, or your native wildlife.

Ok 505, I have it posted above. Allow me take each line:

-"private land doesn't mean it is fragmented habitat." Huh, It can easily mean that in the world where I live. One section, 640 acres, of winter range is open country where we live. You put one house or one cabin on it and the human encroachment causes problem with the animals. Then the private landowner decides to mini-ranch the area and you have 100+ homes on that section.

-"By the way we have mule deer and elk here in Texas and they migrate through properties without a problem at all." I am aware of mule deer and elk in Texas. I just wonder if they are migrating or just moving. Deer here can move over 100 miles from their summer to their winter ranges. Elk can move 30 air miles from summer grounds to where they rut.

-"Our whitetailed deer don't have any problem moving between properties either." Of course they don't because they live in one central area--- unless a ranch has been high-fenced. Now that brings us back to another issue. If we sell that public land and it becomes Ranchettes or the owner decides to High-Fence, well it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.....

-"Deer don't look to see who owns what before they travel." True, but if that property is high-fenced, has a shooting range on it, a bunch of deer chasing labs, etc then the deer and elk and moose and sage grouse will avoid the area.

-"Obviously you have no clue about what Texas has, or your native wildlife". I never claimed to be fully educated concerning Texas' wildlife, but I do know a bit about Texas and a lot more about Western Public lands and the animals using them. I feel it would be a debacle for game and hunters if the gov't were to sell our public lands.

I used the Texas remark because that is where I see it originate. I understand that is how you boys grew-up. We are different, certainly. It just as offensive to call me a "welfare hunter" so now we are even.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Why not sell all the public land and then let private landowners manage the wildlife.

This is one of the areas where I depart from the other Libertarians. Some things should be owned in common, by the tribe. National Parks are an example, BLM land is another. I've hunted private land in the west and had generally good experiences, but would rather hunt BLM land. Eastern hunting...?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14462 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rather than taking part in the western sentiment that one from Texas is ignorant and full of shit, why don't you join in the conversation and QUOTE something I have written in this thread and show me how it is wrong.

quote:
quote:
private land doesn't mean it is fragmented habitat. By the way we have mule deer and elk here in Texas and they migrate through properties without a problem at all. Our whitetailed deer don't have any problem moving between properties either. Land ownership does not effect migrations. Deer don't look to see who owns what before they travel. Obviously you have no clue about what Texas has, or your native wildlife.

Ok 505, I have it posted above. Allow me take each line:

I didn't post the above statement you quote, so why are you assigning it to me? Would you like to try again? Or just continue with your blind prejudice?

quote:
I used the Texas remark because that is where I see it originate. I understand that is how you boys grew-up. We are different, certainly. It just as offensive to call me a "welfare hunter" so now we are even.

You don't even know my name, and you think you know something about how I "grew-up"? Why? Because I am one of some 25 million citizens of a state you think you know and don't like? Could you possibly be more ignorant?