New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitters who don't return calls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a question for you guys who book hunts stateside with outfitters. Do any of you encounter outfitters who don't return calls? I have made several inquiries with outfitters who advertise their trophy whitetail hunts without getting any calls back. I understand how busy some of these outfits are, but I'm seeing a trend among some of these more well known outfits who don't seem to want new business. I don't want to name any names, but if I did, most of you would recognize them. Your thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend not to do business with people who don't return calls.

No matter what type of business it is.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Gracedog it is a common thing for the more popular ones to be too cool for the new kids.

I have noticed the same thing with knife makers. Menafee doesn't return calls or emails, and several people have said the same thing.

If it is recently you might consider they are eather setting up for show season, or in the midst of show season. Not sure who you are talking about, or what continent, but we have 7 shows here in Europe in the next 7 weeks.

I think it is the same in America.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I know of only 2 North Missouri outfitters

They are booked one year in advance with repeat hunters and even though they still have a website they don't answere emails or return phone calls

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m an outfitter/guide and I try my best to return any calls or texts. But it is surprising how many guys are surprised I call back. So I’d guess calling folks back isn’t the norm for some i’d Guess.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tend not to do business with people who don't return calls.

I don't do business with them EVER!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is called a lack of Common Courtesey.

If someone calls me or texts me on the hunts I offer, I do my best to get back to them ASAP even if I can't put together the hunt they want.

When some folks are flush, have plenty of business, they get complacent.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those who have commented. I guess that I am a bit old fashioned, but if someone asks me a question, they get a straightforward answer, with no BS attached. I have done a considerable amount of traveling to hunt over the last 27 years, with a number of different outfitters in 3 different countries, and two different continents. I have noticed that many of the better known outfits seem to prefer that a prospective hunter just throw them a deposit, with no questions asked. If that's what these guys expect, it is best that I inquire elsewhere. Times are changing, and apparently, this is true in the outfitting business as well.

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
It seems that sometimes they are the greatest business people. If it’s season, I’ll give them a slight pass. But off season, I tend to move along.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is really no excuse for it; none.

As a business owner (not hunting), if I know I am going to be out of town, or out of phone service, I will have my call forwarded to an employee that will be able to help.

Being "in the field" or "out of phone service" is really no excuse.

If the call is important, the owner will/can make sure someone is available.

What drives me nuts is when a business will only let you contact them via email. That tells me they are too important to take a few minutes to discuss work/business. I do not understand why a business would want to operate this way.

Everyone is busy, most everyone works a lot. We/they can make time.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no correspondence = no deal. Just common courtesy to respond to someone who is going to dump 4-5 figures for your services. I'm sure they get jackwads that need their hand held thru 50 calls, texts and emails but I would guess that's the rare exception like in any business dealings (including my surgical practice thankfully).

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they do not respond within a reasonable time, I take them off my list. My reasoning is that if they are that hard to contact when I am trying to give them money, I can only imagine how much harder it will be to contact them after they have my money.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me if a person is in business he should at the bare minimum have there answering machine or email set up to advise callers that they are currently out of reach till a certain date, and if it is an emergency to call another number that can easily reach out to them, to me an outfitter without a satellite phone or an in reach system should not be in the business . A call to number can eliminate ridiculous calls and have that person use discretion on when to contact the guide JMO

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
If they do not respond within a reasonable time, I take them off my list. My reasoning is that if they are that hard to contact when I am trying to give them money, I can only imagine how much harder it will be to contact them after they have my money.

+100

You nailed that one!!!!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

It appears that some people don't realize that outfitters have a devise on their telephone that identifies those callers that are "tire kickers".

Or the outfitters are fully booked and have a two waiting list.

It help to understand by putting your self in the outfitters shoes. In the comfort of your living room, you say "I'll return all calls." I bet not.

I have been a practicing CPA for over 50 years. When discussing our firm with a prospective new client and he discusses price within the first sentences of our meeting, I politely tell him that we are not taking on new client at this time and show him the door. Such nit pickers are a pain in the ass.

Posts: 46 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, the problem however is Outfitters, if they are seriously trying to stay in business really can't afford to figure out who is a "Tire Kicker" and who isn't.

You have to respond to each inquiry with a certain level of professionalism. Yes there will be those that are just "Kicking Tires", but unlike a CPA or any other such business, hunting/fishing Guides/Outfitters work within restrictive time frames and for them to stay in business, long enough to build up a clientele of repeat customers that they know are serious, they hjave to put up with the "tire kickers".

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cpaer:
Gents;

I have been a practicing CPA for over 50 years. When discussing our firm with a prospective new client and he discusses price within the first sentences of our meeting, I politely tell him that we are not taking on new client at this time and show him the door. Such nit pickers are a pain in the ass.

Most folks who even have a need for a CPA didn't get that way by not asking the price of something they are about to buy that may cost a few thousand dollars. I for one, do not think a few thousand dollars is nit picking, I wouldn't even eat a meal in a restaurant that had no prices on the menu.
............................................................................. 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Gents;

Most folks who even have a need for a CPA didn't get that way by not asking the price of something they are about to buy that may cost a few thousand dollars. I for one, do not think a few thousand dollars is nit picking, I wouldn't even eat a meal in a restaurant that had no prices on the menu.
............................................................................. 2020

Totally agree.....and most of em are bean counters to whom you have to point out half their job. I can't tell you how many times I've heard over the years "my job is to keep you from getting audited" from a cpa. Bullshit. Your job is to keep me from paying one red cent more to the gov't than I have to by any and all legal means.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any CPA that turns away business should close shop, I have worked with many law firms and CPA' I can't tell you how many statements of "DEEP POCKETS" have I heard, many of a "shallow pockets client are kept but forwarded to an associate, that how the system works, there are allot more dimes around than $100 gold peaces

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that before any transaction can go forward in any business, there has to be an understanding of approx cost/profit. Perhaps the guide/cpa/hooker/etc uses a sliding scale know in the trade as "all the traffic will bear"....Smiler
When someone tells me what wonderful service/product they are gonna give me, one of my first questions is "explain that to me in dollars and cents"..

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gracedog:
Just a question for you guys who book hunts stateside with outfitters. Do any of you encounter outfitters who don't return calls? I have made several inquiries with outfitters who advertise their trophy whitetail hunts without getting any calls back. I understand how busy some of these outfits are, but I'm seeing a trend among some of these more well known outfits who don't seem to want new business. I don't want to name any names, but if I did, most of you would recognize them. Your thoughts?

I average about 50% for return emails from outfitters that I contact for hunts.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
How do you sort the "tire kickers" from legitimate potential clients?
Please tell me more about the device that detects "tire kickers" over the phone.
Aren't "tire kickers" potential customers? Maybe not now, but in the future.

I've used the services of several outfitters on low-end hunts and cannot remember not getting some sort of response to phone calls and emails. There have been several times when I was told the hunts were booked up but there was always a response. Maybe the price point has something to do with it - "tire kickers" dreaming about a hunt that they could never afford - but how do you know for sure?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's not just outfitters.

I'm going to go to Namibia next year and contacted three of the highest recommended (Here on AR) travel agents last week, asking for information. One of them returned my email.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is part and parcel of doing business, ANY KIND of business.

Some folks are going to just to say price is no object, but not everyone.

If an outfitter/guide feels that they do not have to worry about taking on new clients, that is their prerogative.

But some of us out here really do not have funds to simply piss off. What is wrong with asking a guide/outfitter about their success rate pover the past 3 to 5 years?

Just because one hunter has a good hunt, does not mean EVERY hunter has had a great hunt.

From experience, guides/outfitters can/do and will work harder for repeat clients, simply because they know what those clients expect.

On the other side of the coin are those clients/potential clients that think just because a person is a guide/outfitter, it is "Guaranteed" that the client will be successful, and that just isn't realistic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I expected "tire kicking" to be brought up at some point. The fact is, that outfitters are in the business of selling hunts. Any prospective client who simply contacts an outfitter and puts down a deposit without asking at least a few questions is a fool. There are some crooked outfits out there, and anyone with half a brain should ask a few questions, and talk to some references before sending any deposit money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any prospective client who simply contacts an outfitter and puts down a deposit without asking at least a few questions is a fool. There are some crooked outfits out there, and anyone with half a brain should ask a few questions, and talk to some references before sending any deposit money.

Plus One!

That is as True and Accurate statement as can be made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wake up there are more than a few skewed outfitters in today's market place. Sadly it is more the norm these days. Way too many have learned via the internet that a great web site sells hunts a good web site makes the part timers and scammers look legit. Reference lists are near worthless at best unless you personally know someone whom has recently used the outfitter.
Place a call talk to the owner if he/she does not speak to you their self move along down your list.
Here is another often over looked tip : pick the time frame YOU want then ask the outfitter if there will be any "celebrities" hunting that time, if so DO NOT fall for their BS line that all are treated equally as far as guides or stands! YOU WILL NOT BE, trust me!! I booked a trip to a famous "Paradise" for Buck in Sask. Paid $8K to see Pat &Nicole get their pick of stands after looking at trail,cam photos. 10 other hunters killed 4 bucks under 130" they kept getting moved until they killed two over170" TO STANDS NO ONE ELSE EVEN SAT ONCE!

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is baloney. We outfits and answer the best we can every call and email. It doesn't matter if it is a returning client, a potential new client or somebody you know is just a tire kicker. That's just how we do business.

quote:
Gents:

It appears that some people don't realize that outfitters have a devise on their telephone that identifies those callers that are "tire kickers".

Or the outfitters are fully booked and have a two waiting list.

It help to understand by putting your self in the outfitters shoes. In the comfort of your living room, you say "I'll return all calls." I bet not.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been a practicing CPA for over 50 years.

Time to quit practicing and be a real CPA.

When discussing our firm with a prospective new client and he discusses price within the first sentences of our meeting.

What nerve to actually want to know what you charge. Mad
I politely tell him that we are not taking on new client at this time and show him the door.

Damn right, who does he think he is?? Confused

Such nit pickers are a pain in the ass.

Right,you can`t really tell him how much you are going to hose him.

You are a real Prince. homer

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well put Olbiker! I'm glad he lives in northern MI and I live down in the sw part way away from that practicing CPA, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note to self: Do not take sales and marketing advice from Bean Counters!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Note to self: Do not take sales and marketing advice from Bean Counters!

yuck

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Even the a serial "Tyre Kicker" can be a great reference. If I don't return a call or e-mail it's just an oversight on my part and not a conscious decision.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not experienced that problem. Usually I email first to tell them I am going to call.

Mark Young answers my call every time even though I have yet to book a hunt with him. Same with Wendell Reich.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
My PH on my first trip to RSA said I sent the most emails of any client he ever had. He responded to every one. I admit I sent a lot of them. Told him it's my money and my investment and wanted to make sure I'm investing wisely. Some other outfits didn't. They were quickly dropped.

I got a few emails out at the moment. Some have gotten back to me and some haven't. Even got a few follow-up emails out. Trying to set something up for my 50th birthday but, I think my wife has contacted a few of guides/outfitters. It could possibly be the reason I haven't heard back from them.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Glad we’re discussing this as it’s a growing problem. My friends and I hunt pretty extensively - and this is the biggest “turn off” for most of us. The good news is that as a group we’ve collectively developed some solid relationships with a lot of outfitters. But occasionally we’re exploring new markets.

Outfitter talents vary a lot. Some are great guides, some are great hunters but impatient guides, some are great at marketing. But I’ve found a lot of them aren’t very good businessmen, and fail to realize they’re in a “personal service” business. If I’m thinking about booking I’ll do some research to get an idea about an operation and have my list of questions ready prior to calling. Sometimes I’ll email first. But ideally like to meet and talk at outdoor shows (with a call or email ahead of time).

Know a fantastic Mule Deer outfitter - great guy who knows how to get folks on game, including bowhunters. I’ve referred a bunch of folks to him only to get exasperated calls from guys who really wanted to book that he never gets back to them — then the outfitter later complains that he can’t fill all of his hunts. Go figure!

Also completely agree on the Hunting Celebrity Deal - been in camps where guides finally “fessed-up” that they were under orders to only let the celebs on camera hunt their prime spots. Today if I’m at a show or viewing a website and celebs are the prime marketing, I’m out! Why in the world would I hunt with them when I’ll just be overcharged and given less focus while hunting a non-prime area.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the early and mid 2000's the real estate market was booming. You couldn't get a contractor to return a call. If they built a house for you and something went wrong you damned sure weren't going to get them to come fix it. They took customers for granted. A lot of them lost their asses in the real estate market crash. I don't normally celebrate the loss of others, but collectively a bigger batch of pricks have never gotten their due. It thrilled me. How busy are most outfitters this time of the year? Obviously too busy to look at a big picture.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of booking agents and a couple of Outfitters that are in the bush 9 months out of the year, and some of them get 150 calls a day and one gets 300 or more a day. A lot 0f calls fall thru the cracks when you get that many calls, and if you have been on safari for 45 days or more.Its a double edged sword, but when outfitters get that big they get up to their ears in gators, they have way more business than they need, and it gets overwhelming..

Do yourself a favor and just call back until you catch them in the office would be my advise, most of them are the best outfitters for a reason or they wouldn't churn that much business...but to each his own on this subject, but you may in fact be your own worst enemy and miss the best hunt you could ever have. faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those outfitters that are that busy, could have an answering service, even if was just their wife or one of their kids feilding those calls.

From experience, some business people, when they are flush with lots of business comiong in have a bad gtendencvy to forget what things were like when they were just getting started!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand by the nature of their business, they are going to be hard to get in touch with at times, being out of cell phone range, working on their ranch, etc. However! I’ve never booked with anyone that wasn’t willing to get back to me and communicate with me. They’re in the entertainment business, and not everyone has the ability to talk about their vacation during the day, so sometimes those calls will have to be during the evening, plus I don’t know many people that have their own business that operate only during the normal 9-5 timeframe (and are successful). Of the outfitters that I’ve hunted with, that has been no problem though. As was said above- if they don’t communicate with you when you are trying to give them money, it’s going to be worst after they have your money. No truer words have ever been said, and that’s not just true in the hunting world.

As to the CPA above, if someone treated me like you described, I’d take an ad out in the local paper and post several reviews online to make sure everyone knew about that experience, I would imagine that would save you even more time from those nit pickers that want to know what you charge...

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote