Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitters who don't return calls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Email autoreply - "Sorry I missed your email. I'm out in the field right now but will return on DATE. I'll be in touch shortly after my return. Thank you for your interest!"

Same thing with an answering service.

I'm not a big hunt buyer, as most of my hunts are DIY on public land, but I can say that an outfitter who wouldn't respond to my attempts at contact would quickly be stricken off the list.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I operated a trophy moose hunt outfit here for about 18 years. I would ideally book two hunters a week. One for me and the other guide that helped me, and one for another two guide team. I like to think that I had a good reputation, and would provide many references from those that scored big, as well as those that did not. I always turned away up to 10 possible bookers. Obviously it was a part time business. Not bragging, but I charged alot more for a hunt than any other of the many competiters. I was OCD about returning calls, if someone left a message, even if all booked up. One never knows what impact a phone conversation could have on future business. It amazed me how many people would book a hunt on the first phone conversation without ever asking for or consulting with the references I could provide. I always preferred it if a potential sport actually took the time to talk with references. I took great pride in the fact that what my literature, website, or I said was reliable and true. That said, if someone asked price RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE I always thought to myself "Well this guy is just a killer, not a hunter, probably could care less about all the other aspects that help to make a hunt a real good life memory". I was always helpful, patient, and polite, but I have to admit those guys would have an asterik beside their names on my contact list. Don't get me wrong, everyone should ask the price at some point. Be crazy not to. But a good guide, as with most potential sports, knows that there's alot more to a memorable hunt than just killing an animal. Too old now, on medicare, packed enough moose parts out of the woods for now!

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOts of negative comments and even with an answering service its hard to get home and go thru a 1000 to 2000 emails and that many phone calls, and with some its by outfits that are booked up a couple of years in advance, and you WILL miss a few, and if your irritated by that then the option is yours, personally if I wanted a great hunt with a certain outfitter I would just keep calling until I got him like most of the hunters that book with him do...Also a lot of outfitters are just tired of tire kickers as 80% or better never end up booking anyway, you know right of the bat if a prospective client is serious if you have been in the business..

Just the other side of the story, and Im playing the devils advocate, most things are not black and white, and shades of gray should be taken into account..but the bottom line is whatever your approach is to this subject, its yours and nobody elses..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote