New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 wsm the 30-06 of the future
 Login/Join

<razorback>
posted
I was just reading an article that was saying how the 30-06 set the world on fire at the beginning of the 20th century, and now the 300 wsm will do that with the 21st century. like the earlier post about the old calibers and the young guys buying the new ones. I don't know if it will happen I just thought I would mention it. besides, the 300 wsm beats the '06 by 150fps give or take some, and that is close enough to be an advantage. i don't know i am bored at work and just talking with my ass.

<Puddle>
posted
The only way the 300 wsm is going to impact the hunting world the same way the 30-06 did is for the military to start issuing a new M16 in 300 wsm to the troops (hmmm...).

Beating the 30-06 by ~150fps at the usual hunting distances (max 300 yards) is a huge yawn. What poi differences are we talking about with the usual bullet weights - maybe a .25"?

I think the 300 wsm is an interesting benchrest round for 500 meters and out.

[This message has been edited by Puddle (edited 05-11-2002).]

<JerrBear356>
posted
Hey Puddle, did you know SSK industries actually makes an AR-15 chambered in .300 WSM. Not that I think the military will use it but FYI. I think that you hit the nail on the head with that comment though. That statement is right on, if it weren't for the military there is no way the 30'06 would be as popular as it is today (not that it wouldn't still be popular but just as popular as it is)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puddle:

Beating the 30-06 by ~150fps at the usual hunting distances (max 300 yards) is a huge yawn. What poi differences are we talking about with the usual bullet weights - maybe a .25"?

The difference at 300 yards is about 1" less and at 400 yards about 3" less for the WSM. The energy differences are about 300 ft lbs more for the WSM at all ranges.

The WSM is more accurate, and has about the same recoil than the .30-06, and can use a lighter rifle. But I wouldn't trade in a good .30-06 for one.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
King..once again, we disagree. The recoil from identical models and weights between the 30-06 and 300 WSM are NOT the same. This is assuming the same bullet weight of 180 grains fired at normal factory velocities of 2700 vs 2950. Simple physics shows that but I put the numbers through a recoil calculation program. The 300 WSM is 5 ft pounds more....might not seem like much difference but that is 27% more.

<Terry P>
posted
I like older rifles. Especially the pre64 rifles etc. They happen to have chambered a whole hell of a bunch in 30-06 which is also a favorite cartridge of mine.
If I was going to buy a new rifle today I think I would try the 300 WSM. It's just more of a good thing. Sorta like the 300 Win. Mag. I think this one will catch on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put me on record for predicting that the .300 WSM will go the way of the 6.5 Remington Magnum.
Rich Elliott

------------------
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KuduKing:
The WSM is more accurate....

Whoa, hold on a minute, Kudu. I think the WSM needs to win about half as many national target matches as the 30/06 before we start making wild accuracy claims.

And to any who think the WSM will replace the /06....never happen. HOWEVER, the arrival of the WSM may well be the doom of some OTHER cartridges, like the .30 Win Mag etc.

Personally I think it's WAY too early to start digging graves. JMO

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The .300 WSM will not rise to the level of popularity of the .30-'06 because as noted above it will never be chambered as a military rifle cartridge.

The .30-'06 is available internationally in every type of firearm, and in almost every manufacturer's line. The .300 WSM is a proprietary cartridge in Browning-Winchester rifles.

Years ago Remington published a graph of accuracy achieved versus caliber for the cartridges that they chambered in their M40 target rifles. Generally that was .222 Rem to .300 Mag. The curve was smooth, but accuracy decreased as you went up in caliber and recoil.

I have never owned a .300 Mag rifle, but I think I would try one of the short magnums in the right rifle. Either that or a .300 H&H in a more traditional hunting rifle.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I second Rich's prior statement! I just don't see the 300 WSM knocking off the already well established 300 Win mag.

I know for a fact it doesn't do what folks think it will velocity wise, without feeling more recoil to the body than the 300 Win mag delivers. Not in those so lightweight rifles some companies are using for the caliber.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I think the gun industry would love it if they could sell a 300 WSM to replace even half of the 30-06s out there.

I think the 300 WSM has a lot to offer, but I feel the same about .358Win, 35Whelen, 10mm, 41Mag, lots of good rounds never make it in the mainstream. And presently there are so many established .308 cal cartridges from 30-30Win to 300 Weatherby that I do not see the 300WSM or 300 RUM sweeping the market.

Being a military cartridge is the surest way to dominate, or at least become a serious player for a new round, I think. Who would have imagined the popularity still held by the 45LC and 45-70.

Just my 2 cents, MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300WSM is all hype

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One shortfall both the 300 WSM and 300 Rem Ultra have as compared to the 300 Win when it came out, is that neither cartridge is really suitable for rechambering in an existing 30/06, except for a Rem 700 30/06 to 300 Ultra as the Rem 700 is already set with the 375 length magazine setup. Not so a M70 or Ruger 30/06.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Whoa, hold on a minute, Kudu. I think the WSM needs to win about half as many national target matches as the 30/06 before we start making wild accuracy claims...

Your comparison is about as relevant as as which cartridge sells more factory ammo every year.

The .30-06 has had a 96 year head start, in an era when it was oversold as the greatest thing since sliced white bread.

And who gives a rat's ass about "national target matches"? That is meaningless as far as inherent accuracy of a cartridge, or practical accuracy in a sporter rifle.

The .30-06 was a great cartridge in yesteryear. The WSM is better

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many people in the benchrest circles are out there using a 300wsm? I agree though about the 30/06 and 300wsm,any time you can beat the 06 by 150fps,you're going to be killing animals like they were hit by lightning.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Eye:
King..once again, we disagree. The recoil from identical models and weights between the 30-06 and 300 WSM are NOT the same....

For starters, mea culpa. I meant to refer to a comparison between the WSM and the .300 Win Mag.

But I would say that the WSM kicks about the same as the .30-06, and that any difference is imperceptible.

I'm glad you did ran that through a ballistic program. Did you calculate recoil energy, recoil impulse or recoil velocity? There are three measures, as I'm sure you are aware, being the physics buff that you seem to be.

Indeed, the NRA Fireams Fact Book states, "It should be mentioned that the...sensation of recoil is affected by factors not taken into account in these calculations."

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
Put me on record for predicting that the .300 WSM will go the way of the 6.5 Remington Magnum.
Rich Elliott

Then you should buy several and sell them at a premium in 20 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/Jazz:
...I know for a fact it doesn't do what folks think it will velocity wise, without feeling more recoil to the body than the 300 Win mag delivers. Not in those so lightweight rifles some companies are using for the caliber.

You are making ZERO sense. Buy a chronograph and a WSM and find out yourself. The WW 180 grain PP load chronos 2978 fps average at 15 feet from the muzzle, out of the Model 70 Featherweight, which isn't exactly a featherweight anyway. This meets or exceeds the factory ballistics.

Put a .300 WinMag in a 24' barrel Model 70 and it will kick more at the same velocity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMK:
How many people in the benchrest circles are out there using a 300wsm? I ...

The serious benchrest shooters I know fire .22 CFs. And they all agree with the greater accuracy potential of a short high-capacity case, regardless of calibre.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSF1200:
The 300WSM is all hype

That's what the .30-40 Krag and the .30-30 shooters said about the '06 when it came out. I guess the '06 has been all hype for the past century.

The winds of change are blowing, old timers. The old farts will get along fine with their trusty old '06, with memories of game dancing in their backyards, red and black wool hunting coats and Hoppes #9.

The younger guys, with less hunting time and access, will want something more capable and accurate, but still shooter-friendly, and so will get the WSM.

Sorry Springfield fans, It's been a great run, but it's time to move on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KuduKing,

Benchresters shoot 6mm PPC far more than 22s.

This whole issue of accuracy and short and fat cases is way overblown.

If you have ever shot benchrest and compared calibers like 222, 6mm PPC and 6 X 47, you will find that either caliber maybe the most accurate from a limited selection of rifles.

One of things that helped the PPCs along their merry way is that you can use a 308 bolt face/extractor for them whereas that is just not on for the 222 case head size.

I think most benchresters would agree that if a match had 90 222 shooters and 10 PPC shooters, the 222s would win the day. In other words the accurayc differences are so small that they will be overriden by the number of guns being used.

I have a few barrels on bench guns in both 6mm/284 and 6mm/06. The 6mm/06 seemed to be better. But that would have been so for at least 3 reasons. One would have been luck of the draw with barrels. Another may have been the individual JGS reamers used. Another may have been that necking down 25/06 cases is a better proposition than necking down 284 cases to 6mm, especially since neck turned chamber was not used.

Now perhaps if I had 50 different barrels in both 6mm/284 and 6mm/06 and they had been chambered with different reamers etc. then maybe some small accuracy gain might have been seen with the 6mm/284.

When it comes to rifles that are of hunting style configuration and comparing calibers that are similar in bore size and case capacity, final accuracy will be determined by the rifle/scope/mount setup, not the caliber.

I could think of different reasons why I would choose a 300 WSM over either a 30/06 or 300 Win, but accurayc would not be one of the reasons.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So where is all the proof of the 300WSM being more accurate then the 30/06. So far all I've heard is how a short fat cartridge is more accurate then a conventional cartridge. Yet nobody is really using the 300WSM in benchrest competitions. Granted I can see the huge advantage of shooting a .300wsm over the 30/06 if it is more accurate. Hell anytime you can shoot a 300wsm that's capable of shooting in the .4's rather then an 06 that's only shooting .5's,you're obviously going to have better success hitting a 10 or 12 inch vital area, at 400 yards or less. Then add to this the average gain of 150fps over the 06,now you're talking what an inch or 3/4 of an inch differance in bullet drop at 300yards?
I never realized just what a pile of shit the 06 is,thanks Kuduking.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
My 30-06 (26" barrel) shoots moly coated 190gr Sierra Matchkings at 2902 fps with a charge of 63gr RL-22. This load shoots sub moa consistently, 10-shot groups usually are around .8 with 8 or 9 shots within .4.

How will the 300 WSM beat this by any significant margin?

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then you should buy several and sell them at a premium in 20 years.

I don't know if that would be worth it or not. Anyway, my money's all tied up in stocks and bonds and hunt deposits.
Rich Elliott

------------------
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 WSM, a "short magnum?" who needs it though I did see 2 boxes on the shelf at a Walmart yesterday. Facts are when all the hype and the phoney chronographing recede the 300 win mag will still be a better cartridge. More capacity means more velocity if pressures are the same.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Rick, you're right about the .300 Winchester: It'll produce more velocity than the .300 WSM will if both are loaded to their full potential. Case capacity does indeed count for something, and besides, "short & fat" does not lend itself to optimal feeding.

I really don't know what the future holds for the .300 WSM, but I suspect it'll continue to grow in popularity......

Personally, I'm going to stick with the .300 Win. Mag. version that was introduced back in 1963. Thousands of rounds fired through various rifles and over 100 big game animals on the ground have taught me all I need to know about that cartridge - more than the gunwiters have taught me about it OR the .300 WSM, that's for damned sure.

The .300 Winchester is my all-time favorite big game caliber. The archaic belt that's supposed to be so very problematic has not caused me any problems, and contrary to those gunwriters who claim the .300 WSM is just as fast or faster, I can still get right at 3100 fps. out of the .300 Win. Mag. with 180 gr. bullets, and with reasonable pressures. Maybe someone else is getting the same speed out of the .300 WSM with special handloads, but I haven't heard about it.

AD

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Despite being a 300 WSM owner, I'm in no way ready to concede it will ever un-seat the 30-06 (or 300 Win Mag for that matter). The slender 06' lends itself to easy feeding and combines about all the power most hunters need with about all the recoil most hunters can stand (as opposed to the recoil-proof rifle-loonies inhabiting cyber-space!).

The WSM's require very precise machinig to feed well, particularly in a CRF action. That fat body and sharp shoulder create problems that the old-time, slope-shouldered rounds avoid (purposefully). I've never experienced a feeding problem with any of the belted magnums I've owned. Granted, on most "magnum's" the belt is there as a marketing feature, but if you resize your brass so they headspace on the shoulder, what's the big deal?

While the 300 WSM delivers velocity greater than any 30-06 can, I'm doubtful it actually means much other than a slightly flatter trajectory. If a .308" 180 grainer at 2,750 can't do it, I'm doubtful tacking on an additional 200 or 300 fps will do it either... better to go up in bullet diameter and weight.

I shortened the barrel on Model 70 300 WSM to 22". I'm still getting 2,900 to 2,980 fps with 180's, depending on the powder and bullet used. Recoil, however, is there. If the recoil of a 300 Win Mag bothers you, the 300 WSM will bother you too. Better, then, to go to a 308 or 30-06.

As pointed out, the short-fat cartridges are not new. Two of our local gunsmith's have had their own line of short-fatty's for years. Dave Gentry designed his on the 404 Jefferey case in the 1980's. Ralph Payne has chambered his line since the 1960's. Ralph's use the .348 Winchester case with the rim turned-down (sound familiar?) and incorporates the Weatherby "radius" shoulder. The similar Gradle rounds were created in the 1950's.

Regarding accuracy, I'm fairly convinced that in a side-by-side shooting of factory WSM's and factory belted-mag rifles, the WSM's will be more accurate. The WSM's headspace more precisely and most factory chambers cut for the belted mag's are quite sloppy. Still, in a "properly crafted" custom-built rifle, any of the belted mag's can be made to shoot more accurately than most could ever take advantage of in the field, so all this accuracy talk is probably meaningless in a big game rifle.

Personally, I'm waiting for the medium-bore WSM's to come out. I'd like to re-barrel my 300 WSM to a .358 or .375 WSM. With a 20" bbl., I think it would be the cat's-meow for cruising the steep timber!

Trying to stay objective...

Brad Amundson

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 05-12-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a .300 Win. Mag. fan I am all for the new .300WSM. Will it become the 30-06 of the future? Hard to tell. There are so many calibers to chose from today I don't know if any new one will ever sweep the field. I know here in my area of Sw. PA. many guys are still hot for the new hot long action .30's and .33,s.
The WSM's are not catching on yet. I figure in the next year or so that will change. I personaly would buy the .300WSM if I did not already have the old .300 Win. Mag. so I am awaiting a .25 cal. WSM. That could be my next rifle if it hits the market.

------------------
Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There will never be another 30-06. There are just too many good cartridges out there to choose from. I don't dispute that the wsm has a marginal advantage in velocity and fits a short action, but you won't notice the difference in the field.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<razorback>
posted
I just know got to a computer to see the reply's and don't see how being a military cartrige is that necessary for this round to be the most popular cartridge in twenty years. I don't think any of the new hunters give a rats ass about a military rifle and most old timers in twenty years will be dead or in a nursing home, with the 300 wsm winning. the reasons are obvious and simple. it does beat the '06 by a little, yet doesn't kill you like a 300 weatherby. everybody gets so touchy when you say anything about the '06, which is great and will always be around, but things change and people are scared of that, but it will happen. another thing about the military cartridges, can I please say 270 or 7mag, or 338win.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Considering that the bullet is more important than the cartridge .30 caliber itself may fade someday as the most popular.

With better bullets the 7mm bore could take over and provide the same effect as what we get now from .30 caliber.

I think we will finally get free of the belted headspace menace with it's out of tolerance cases on the minimum size and chambers on the maximum size.

The .308 Winchester is the only cartridge that may replace the 30/06 and even then the 30/06 is more flexible with it's ability to shoot heavier bullets at adequate velocity.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Razorback,

You may be right. I don't think so. Only time will tell.

Sometimes being a better performer doesn't guarantee much.

Who would think the 30-30 would still be so popular, considering "better" woods cartridges (33 Win, 35Rem, 307 Win, 375 Win, 358 Win, 350 RemMag, 444Marlin.....) that never even came close to unseating the ballistically inferior, but familiar and effective 30-30.

Kind of like how 243 owners are not dumping their rifles for the superior but user-friendly .260Rem, One of the better cartridges to come out lately, in my opinion. MM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6 of the top 10 RCBS die sales for 2001 were rifle calibers being

30/06
45/70

Notice they are all miltary calibers or straight neck downs of militaty calibers.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
MM, I agree 100% with you about the 260 Rem...

BA

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
My slant on this is that "Magnum" is just a word stuck on the end of whatever a manufacturer decides to call a new round in any particular calibre. In itself it means nothing. Therefore I think of the .300WSM in terms of comparison with all of the other .308 calibres.
It outperforms other 'short' .308's by a considerable margin, and also the .30/06 (but uses more powder to do so). It outperforms (maybe) slightly the .300Win Mag with light for calibre projectiles but not 200/220, and uses slightly less powder.
Just take it for what it is, a reletively efficient, short action .308 hunting rifle. If thats what you want it is a good calibre, pick a good rifle and you are on a winner.

I bought mine because I wanted a bigger rifle than the .25/06 I have used for over 15 years. Of all the .308's I chose it because it works well for what I want, a light weight walk around hunting rifle that does its job well.

I imagine that I could have got any of the others and been perfectly happy with that as well.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
quote:
For starters, mea culpa. I meant to refer to a comparison between the WSM and the .300 Win Mag.

But I would say that the WSM kicks about the same as the .30-06, and that any difference is imperceptible."

Wow, if you think a 27% difference in recoil levels is imperceptable, I would have to conclude that your perceptions have been severely shaken, by too much recoil.

<ULTRAMAX>
posted
?????

<T/Jazz>
posted
Mike 375, looks like you have been doing your homework. Top of the day to you Mate!

Some of you folks should take a real good look at figures. The 30-06 is hear to stay and South of the Mason Dixon line it is the 270 at the top of the totem pole. The 30-06 with the right bullet in the chamber, can kill anything on this planet.

This thing with new calibers and other gajets reminds me of the golf industry coming up with a new sensational club to market to the BLIND public every year. Amazes me how many suckers there arem who bit the bullet so to speak and buy them. The gun industry does the same thing......cause there are so many turkeys out there gobbling up the crap some gunwriters put down on print. Hey wake up people, they receive a paycheck for doing so and fringe benefits like a FREE elk hunt and lodging, while testing out this new miracle caliber.

These new magnums aren't going to unseat the 7mm mag or the 300 Win mag, let alone the 30-06. It's kind of like someone telling me that my 1977 deuce & 1/4 Buick is not the highway car a new Lincoln Towncar is, Hell NO, it is twice as good. More power under hood and twice as heavy, rides like a magic carpet, even has camel ride options. Now don't let the gunrags & gun industry pull the wool over your eyes folks. Now you can take that to the bank or the oil fields gentlemen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own both a 30-06 and a custom 300wsm. I have no plans on getting rid of either of them. The 300wsm will not replace the 30-06 any more than the 300 Win Mag has replaced it. While on paper, the mag is better ballistically, on game; in the field, it doesn't really matter. A good hit with a good bullet from either does the job.

As to recoil, to me felt recoil is what matters, and with my two rifles, I don't notice hardly any difference. Stock design and composition are not the same and that probably accounts for some of the felt recoil perceptions.

Why do some people appear to be big fans of the 300 Win Mag, and not like the wsm. They shoot identical bullets within a couple feet per second of each other. I built my wsm on a Ruger tang safety- long action. I really like that action, but its length prohibits getting full benefit of 180gr Barnes XLC in a 300Win Mag. They need to be seated pretty deep to fit the magazine. My 300wsm is throated to allow the Barnes to be seated to the base of the neck. OAL is 3.15". I get 3125fps with the 180gr Barnes X. I don't know if the same bullet can be used in a Ruger in 300 Win Mag to that velocity. What I built may not make sense, but hey, it is my rifle, my money, and I'm happy with it.

Regarding those who say that anyone who buys a new rifle to have a new caliber is a fool- remember that it is sales that keep the manufacturers in business. You slam the 300wsm today- did you slam the 300 Win Mag when it was introduced? If everyone thought that way we would still be hunting with sticks and rocks. The wsm is no newer today than the 30-06 was when it was introduced, or self contained cartridges were when introduced or muzzle loaders, etc.....

The beauty of having choices is you have more than one to choose from.

All that having been said, if I had to choose only one, it would be my 7mm Dakota, also on a Ruger action. I do love that cartridge!!

Posts: 25 | Location: MI USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter Walker>
posted
Montana Marine

My 30-06 (26" barrel) shoots moly coated 190gr Sierra Matchkings at 2902 fps with a charge of 63gr RL-22. This load shoots sub moa consistently, 10-shot groups usually are around .8 with 8 or 9 shots within .4.
How will the 300 WSM beat this by any significant margin?

MM

My 300WSM with 23" barrel and 200gr Barnes X on top of 69gr RL-19 gives me 2932fps on a 10 shot average at 15 feet from muzzle. If I do some interpelation I figure an extra 3 inches of tube would give me an additional 100 fps or so. If I figure it out with 190gr bullet weight and 26" tube I'm looking at an additional 100fps to give a velocity of about 150 to 200fps faster than your 26" tube 30-06 or 3100fps for a 190gr bullet.

...Peter