Find
Notify
Tools

300 wsm the 30-06 of the future
 Login/Join

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Peter,

That is impressive. I think a 300 WinMag can push a 190 about 3100 from a 24" tube, so I do not doubt the 300 WSM could make the same from a 26".

Thanks for the feedback. MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30WSM seems to be a good round but so are the 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. I don't see either round being replaced by the 30WSM. Keep in mind that a lot of good calibers haven't made it in the past. Also note that I am the guy who said, "No one will EVER pay good money for bottled water!"

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is anyway the 300WSM will ever replace the 30-06 and it sure won't replace the 308 Win. I have had a 300 WSM built on a Remington 700 short action to use for "F" class competition. It does seem to wonderfully accurate with most loads I have tried. And friends of mine have used it out to 1400 yards shooting 12" steel plates with consistent hits using the 190 grain Match King at 2900 fps. I do believe the 300 WSM has a future in long range target shooting, hunting, and as a tactical rifle with more range than the 308 Win. Only time will tell how it does. I do believe it will out last the 300 Remington USM. Just my two cents worth.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the long actions will go the way of the manual shift on the steering column, but it won't happen overnight.

I don't think any caliber will eclipse the popularity of the 30.06, the .270 or the .308, in their prime, primarily because I think the glory days of hunting & shooting are behind us.

Another reason is because the industry is now coming out with more new, improved calibers. The market is too saturated for one caliber to dominate like they did years ago.

I marvel that people still buy something like a 30-30. I guess it's nostalgia or something.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people who buy a 30-30 are more interested in performance on game and actually hunting,rather then punching paper at extreme ranges and talking about what their new super cartridge might do on game.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people who buy a .30-30 do so for two reasons: 1) it's cheap, and/or 2) they don't know any better.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote