THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Alright... For fun....pick 2 out of the 3
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alright... For fun....pick 2 out of the 3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please keep this fun.
I should have a Scimitar Horned Oryx, a Large Utah Mule deer (180") and a large Utah Pronghorn on the ground this year. Which 2 would you pick for Full Body Mounts. Looking forward to hearing which ones you would pick.
Thanks.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the above.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Scottyboy, none of the above. Hell, I'd only have an interest in hunting two of the three. Never cared much for shooting the "exotics" on a ranch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your opinion. Looking forward to everyones thoughts.
Thanks
WSmiler

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Full size oryx aand antelope. But I would do all either skull or shoulder and hunt more game in Texas.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigB:
Full size oryx aand antelope. But I would do all either skull or shoulder and hunt more game in Texas.

BigB

Why not do both, mount em and huntem.
Thanks BigB
WSmiler

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Cindy Garrison. Twice.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
None of the above.

+1

Rather than spend a lot of money on full body mounts, I'd put the money towards additional hunting trips. But then, that's just me.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermy choices are not a deciding factor on hunting trips.
Looking forward to everyone opinions.
Thanks
WSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antelope and oryx

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oryx and Pronghorn. If you have the space and dollars, that is what I would do.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Would do the Oryx (currently have a wall pedestal mount of mine) and the mule deer, as long as I had the space for them.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

The Oryx and the antelope. Both are quite unique in appearance and if I shot a very big one of either species I would probably consider a life size. A mule deer is a great trophy but I don't think they are special enough in appearance to warrant a life size mount IMO!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna go with none of the above as well. Oryx, while pretty don't do it for me. Antelope .. Meh ... Mule Deer, I guess a monster Mule Deer would look pretty cool.

If you want a full body mount, Aoudad make a stunning full or half mount.

I the end it's what makes you happy, not me. Smiler

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oryx make neat shoulder mounts done up with the arched neck.....but they look kinda "dopey" to me on the hoof....

JMHO

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Antelope and oryx

Plus One on the speedgoat and the scimitar horn.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
None of the above

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the above. I actually think full mounts turn your TR into a museum instead of a place to remind you of your hunts. That said, I have three full body mounts: a lion, leopard, and bobcat. I will full mount my next big bear; rugs take too much room.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
SHO and pronghorn. Consider taking a doe antelope (especially if you can find one with horns) and mounting a pair. Why not eh? I wish I had a female springbok to go with the nice ram I shot in Namibia.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Utah, if only for the peaches...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like full body mounts on birds and small critters.Everything else is a European or shoulder mount.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Hard to pick which animals to mount before they're on the ground. You might kill a dink antelope, am average oryx and a gagger mule deer and then it's an easy decision

I personally don't care for a lot of life size mounts so I'd have to wait and see if I killed the animal of a lifetime before deciding

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
Hard to pick which animals to mount before they're on the ground. You might kill a dink antelope, am average oryx and a gagger mule deer and then it's an easy decision

I personally don't care for a lot of life size mounts so I'd have to wait and see if I killed the animal of a lifetime before deciding

Reminds me of my "180 inch" mule deer hunt from 2010. The skull and horns hang in my reloading room, and it was damn near put in the garage.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Out of your three, I'd pick the Mule Deer. After hunting them for the first time this past year, I'm addicted. I think there a neat critter.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Reminds me of my "180 inch" mule deer hunt from 2010. The skull and horns hang in my reloading room, and it was damn near put in the garage.

Where did you hunt in 2010?

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
None of the above. Only one I would possibly consider would be a Muley but it would have to be 230+

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m addicted to mule deer also, and love antelope. But there’s no way I would do either lifesize. Those should only be lifesize if you have some type of scenery set up, with hills or mnts (like Cabelas/Bass Pros). They’re bodies aren’t that great looking.

But Sheep, Mnt Goats, Bears, Nyala, Bushbucks and animals like that are awesome as a lifesize. Something with different colors throughout its coat or something very furry is the way to go.

As for the orxy, a full shoulder mount with a full turn would be the way I would go. My dad’s sable is like that and is by far the best looking shoulder mount in the family.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

Your trophy room is going to be getting pretty expansive here soon.

Of the three, I would pick the antelope and mule deer. Oryx, while cool, look a little odd on hoof and I prefer the wall pedestal mount for them. I would probably only get them life sized if they were something crazy though, like a 200"+ Mule deer or a 17"+ antelope. If the taxidermy doesn't cut into your budget for hunting though, more power to ya.

A big mule deer mounted like this would be impressive.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you thoughts. I do enjoy full bodies mounts. In my trophy room I currently have thede full bodied. bear, mt lion, alligator, free range hybred ibex,javalina , and a blackbuck.
I also like to have mounts that moast people that come into my trophy room have no idea what they are.
Thanks again everyone.
WSmiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where did you hunt in 2010?

New Mexico on a ranch that "averaged" 180 inch deer. On the fourth day, after passing a bunch of deer my guide said I should shoot, he said I should "shoot this deer." I passed.

He bedded down. The guide was insistent; "You really need to take another look at this deer."

Fine. I shot the fucker from 408 yard when he stood up. We never saw a deer close to 180 in four days (five day hunt). So much for "assurances."

Sometimes the sky just looks bluer than it really is, you know what I mean?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Woodsie,

Of the three, I would pick the antelope and mule deer. Oryx, while cool, look a little odd on hoof and I prefer the wall pedestal mount for them. I would probably only get them life sized if they were something crazy though, like a 200"+ Mule deer or a 17"+ antelope. If the taxidermy doesn't cut into your budget for hunting though, more power to ya.

Totally not my taste. You couldn't give me that mount for free.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Mexico on a ranch that "averaged" 180 inch deer. On the fourth day, after passing a bunch of deer my guide said I should shoot, he said I should "shoot this deer." I passed.

He bedded down. The guide was insistent; "You really need to take another look at this deer."

Fine. I shot the fucker from 408 yard when he stood up. We never saw a deer close to 180 in four days (five day hunt). So much for "assurances."

That SUCKS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, the oryx is a beautiful animal on the hoof, but they are pretty large - if you have the space, go for it. I think large pronghorns are also pretty neat looking. I have shoulder mounts of both, & they are among my favorite trophies.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That SUCKS!

Drum:

It would have sucked twice as much if would have paid the rate you charge for a legit 180 inch buck...know what I mean?

I learned a lesson. The older I get, the more money I have, but the less time I have to screw around.

Anyway, not to steal the thread...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Woodsie,

That is a COOL mount! Very realistic! (except he should be jumping barbed wire instead of a handrail Cool)
I'd do the mule deer and the antelope. Exotics don't interest me.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full body on a deer or pronghorn. Really? Aren't both pretty common place? I'd save that for something harder to come by. I'd just mount the racks European style.

But, if determined on this, if you can afford to do two, why not all three.

For full bodies I see a couple kinds of bear with a mountain lion in between.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you thoughts. I do enjoy full bodies mounts. In my trophy room I currently have thede full bodied. bear, mt lion, alligator, free range hybred ibex,javalina , and a blackbuck.
I also like to have mounts that moast people that come into my trophy room have no idea what they are.

Thanks again everyone.
WSmiler

i forgot i have a mt goat full bodied too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pedestal mount all off them. Less space and classier. Throw them on a finished pedestal, leave the dust-collecting habitat at the taxidermist. Quality of the hide and hair are as important or more so than the antlers and horns.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You like full body mounts, so go for it Brother! Have all three done if $$ you can. My vote for 2 would be the prarie goat & mulie. Especially the mulie. They are wonderful and are getting scarce due to habitat loss, whitetail competition, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My mounted head is in the garage, exiled two houses ago...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote