Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Moose Hunt 10-13-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
Twenty eight days. That’s how long I had been hunting for a bull moose in one of the limited draw areas of northwest Montana. During that time I had traveled literally hundreds of miles, walked dozens of trails and sat for hours on a number of lakes, ponds and bog areas, all without seeing a single moose! It had taken me eleven years to draw one of the twelve tags available for this area and I was devoting every possible minute to getting it filled.

On morning twenty nine I left my house early, determined to be sitting at a promising little pond before the sun came up. It was about five miles up a forest service road and required a short hike in from there. I quietly made my way through the woods and found myself near the ponds edge just as day was breaking. As the light increased, I saw a young moose standing in knee deep water and then I saw a cow and calf casually walk from the pond back into the woods. As I shifted my position for a better view I could see that there was also a bull standing in the pond. It had only been light for a few minutes and now, right in front of me were four moose including the bull I had been searching for.

I was still watching the bull when I saw movement behind him on the far shore of the pond. As the light continued to improve I was surprised to see another bull moose even larger than the one in the water. The bigger bull was about 150 yards away, much further than I am comfortable shooting with the open sighted rifle I was carrying. Since all of the moose were relaxed, I decided to back out of my hiding place and slowly work my way around through the timber until I reached the other side of the pond. It took a while but I was able to get within range and the moose were still unaware of my presence. The bank on that side was fairly steep and I was well above the water level. Working down towards the bull I began to look for an opening large enough to make a clean shot.

I was carrying my Montana Rifle Company Professional Hunter model chambered in .505 Gibbs. While I will be the first to admit that my choice of calibers might seem a little unusual, remember that this rifle was designed for close range dangerous game hunting. All of the features that make it so effective in Africa also make it perfectly suited for our largest American game. Loaded with four rounds of factory Norma PH ammunition, the 600 grain Woodleigh soft point bullets at 2100 feet per second would certainly be more than adequate for the task at hand. My rifle is fitted with MRC’s new flats brake which not only eliminates any painful recoil, it also reduces muzzle rise allowing for a fast second shot if necessary. I slowly moved the three position safety forward into the fire position, and raised the rifle. The bull was now about 60 yards away standing broadside. I aligned the iron sights on a rib just behind the shoulder and worked to slow my
breathing as I applied pressure to the trigger.

At the shot, I saw the bull stagger, start to turn, and then simply fall over. A perfect one shot kill on my first moose! As I made my way down to the bull I could not help but reflect on all of the hours spent leading up to this moment. If you have never had the opportunity to approach a downed moose, I can assure you that there is no such thing as “ground shrinkage”. With every step you take approaching a moose, they seem to get bigger and bigger. Sitting there alone with such a massive animal is a very humbling experience and it is one that I savored. I ran my hand across the coarse fur on its body; I touched the rock hard antler and then struggled to lift its head. It is almost surreal how truly massive these animals are. I tagged the moose and took a few photos. By this time the excitement was starting to fade and the reality of the enormous task ahead was starting to sink in. I hiked out of the basin and made some calls to assemble a
team that could help me process the moose. In less than two hours I had a group of five enthusiastic folks at work skinning, butchering and packing it out to my truck. By one thirty in the afternoon the last load was packed out and nothing but the rib cage, spine and entrails remained at the site. Something that the ravens will certainly enjoy cleaning up.

The ride back to town was a quiet one; I was both tired and sore but could not have been any happier. I dropped the meat off for processing then took the head and hide to my taxidermist. At every stop I shared the pictures and story of my moose hunting adventure. I cannot apply for another Montana moose tag until 2023 but it’s a safe bet that my application will be in the mail on the first day I am eligible!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Sounds like a fine hunt!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Wonderful hunt, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
good stuff! sounds like a heck of a good time!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the completion of your long hunt. Sounded like one of those perfect hunting mornings as the sun comes up to grant you your long earned gift.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a well deserved, dedicated and hard fought for animal!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! A well earned trophy.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!Elmer would be proud. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Congrats...thanks for sharing...nice write up

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir. Great story and a really good moose.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING! Congratulations on some damn tasty meat! At least you used enough gun.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job Jay!!

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull and a nice job. Twenty nine days in one of NW Montana districts with 12 tags available says quite a bit about game density and commitment. Congratulations.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I want to hunt moose someday, it's a long shot to the vet draw a tag in Colorado. However, I had a friend who drew one this year. If I hadn't broke my leg I'd have been up helping him every chance I'd get.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My uncle did the same thing on sheep. Hunted every day of the season in Wyoming in the area he hunts elk in.

He did not take a ram, in fact he spent the entire season chasing sheep to not even see a mature ram.

Game deaprtments are over selling premium tags.

Glad that you go to enjoy a month of moose chasing.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Congrats I have been thinking of using my 500 double if I ever get drawn in Washington. Cool

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 Very good!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congrats,great story!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull!
Congrats

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Job!!!! tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. Hopefully some day I will draw !! What unit did you hunt in ?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was carrying my Montana Rifle Company Professional Hunter model chambered in .505 Gibbs

Very nice story concrats on a fine moose hunt.

A bit under gun were we Eeker

When people ask me why I use weird calibers for hunting my normal reply is because I can. clap

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job! I've always wanted to hunt moose, I just don't want to clean one.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story and really nicely written. It's vignettes like this that keep me coming back to AR.

Congratulations on your perseverance and ultimate success!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jay,
Great stories...both the moose and the wolf. You sure do live an interesting life. Sorry I missed you last month. My girlfriend kept me busy seeing the sights. I'll be in Libby next May/ June on my way to or from a grizzly hunt in BC and will look you up. Have a good hunting season!

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You exude Patience in a world that only wants instant gratification. Your dedication, persistence, commitment, Knowledge and attitude are clearly evident. How can you not be successful. Kudos.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Great job! I've always wanted to hunt moose, I just don't want to clean one.

Cleaning them is easy; carrying the meat out is the hard part.

Can't say I would have used that rifle, but what a hunt!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine bull, well earned! Thanks for sharing!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
You exude Patience in a world that only wants instant gratification. Your dedication, persistence, commitment, Knowledge and attitude are clearly evident. How can you not be successful. Kudos.

This! Congratulations on a trophy that's well-deserved! Thanks for illustrating hunting isn't just about walking out into the woods and shooting something. Sometimes you get one; sometimes you don't.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like the feeling of a well earned trophy.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Congrats on an awesome trophy and hunt!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote