Find
Notify
Tools

aimpint for hunting...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
checked out the 2moa dot aimpoint and thought it would be great for timber and brush for my rem 7600 and guide gun. anyone here use one for hunting? you could use the same aimpoint for your hunting handgun and your rifles with the weaver set up. sounds great, what say you?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, an aimpoint comp m3 or ml3 with 2 m.o.a. dot, in a detachable la rue mount would be a great set up for a guide gun...

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I bet they might not be legal for hunting in all states. I would check the regs first.

I think they would work great for the hunting you describe.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello
Hers a picture with me and the moose i got last weekend.I have a CompC aimpoint and this was my 5th moose with the gun.

Per Lidman

Posts: 14 | Location: Northen part of Sweden | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good going lidman thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the same for my 480 Ruger SRH. I am leaning towards the 2 MOA but wonder if the 4 MOA would be better. I have posts in Optics and Handgun Hunting. Not too many responses yet....

Posts: 68 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lidman, Is your's a 2 or 4 MOA dot?

posted Hide Post
Hello

I have the 4 moa sight on my marlin but i would recomend the 2 moa.With this sigth are you at least 2 seconds faster/shoot.As i said before i am very pleasd with the combination Marlin+Aimpoint.

Per Lidman

Posts: 14 | Location: Northen part of Sweden | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris Speed Dot on my .454 but I haven't bagged anything except rocks and cans with it so far. Big GrinThey are very fast to the target and more accurate than I thought previously, but if I was to scope my Guide Gun,It would be a traditional one for greater distance shots.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used a 1 moa Holoscope on a 1911 based 40 S&W race gun to hunt deer with. Hit a doe at 65 yards with it. Doe died on the spot.

Would use a different projectile, but the sighting system worked very well.

I have used 4 minute dots with propoints and Aimpoint Comps, and 2 minute dots in the Serendipity in IPSC competition. Have also used the Holoscope bow sight to kill 5 or 6 deer.

The 1 and 2 minute dot sights are fine for hunting. The 4 minute dot is OK to 35 yards or so if you want fine control of the impact point.

The dot sights are superb in marginal light conditions and allow very rapid target acquisition. Should be really good for short fast shooting.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for the input. Mike, it sounds like the 2 MOA dot is the one. I only shoot at standing or slowly walking deer because of the brush and trees would make it almost impossible to get a good hit. I want a small enough dot to pick my shots through the trees but not so small that I'd have a tough time visualizing the dot. Sounds like the 2 MOA is more than a pin point. This way if I ever wanted to put it on a different gun such as a muzzle loader or slug gun for ranges out to 100-125 yards it would still be useful. I saw an variable red dot that went from a 4, 8, 12, and 16 MOA. That got me concerned because it went much larger but not to a 2 MOA. I thought to myself that maybe I'm missing the point..... red dot point that is.... ? ? ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photograph Per!
clap

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only thig is the battery life. according to murphys law about the time you need it the battery will be dead

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Aimpoints have a battery life of 50,000 hours.... maybe....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
only thig is the battery life. according to murphys law about the time you need it the battery will be dead

I have TWO of the older Aimpoint 2000 Red dot sights and the battery life with that HUGE 2/3A sized lithium battery is YEARS, I discovered this by accident after casing my Remington 870
with the scope left turned on, pulling it out three years later the sight was still turned on!

but if you are worried buy a new battery for each season, the battery probably won't be bead if you leave the sight on for a year... or three...

Remember there are only 8760hours in a year.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
bomstick
Do you think the Aimpoint would work on a double rifle for DG in africa. i think 500grains might have one on his 500NE
Dr B

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I had an Aimpoint on my 45-70, and it worked really, really well for deer in the north woods here (close shots, low light). I had a 2 MOA dot and would not hesitate at all to use one again, even for shots out to 100 yds+. Battery life was excellent. I just bought a new battery each season. Cheap hunt insurance for only $4 or so.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Boomstick, many years ago I used one of the original Aimpoints for Black bear and still think it's the best possible sight for low light dark targets. They are way faster and way more accurate than you might think. Every shooter should have at least one!

beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote